News Legendary Pokemon Distributions, TCG Products Announced for 2018: Explains Some Things!

RedSuinit

Aspiring Trainer
I strongly agree, but reactive abilities don't have to target the hand. We've never seen for example a supporter that adds damage counters, nor an ability that can only be activated on your opponents turn. IMO the game is already *relatively* stale and boring in terms of the design space it could explore.

I would love to see prism star item cards that can only be played during an opponents turn. For example, a switch card you could play after an opponents Guzma. Right now bluffing in pokemon is near non-existent. The introduction of cards like that would bring a new level of strategy to the game.

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
Hmm. Interesting. The related Legendary quiz on the Pokemon website confirms that Type: Null's a legendary and the Ultra Beasts aren't.

AFEX

Serena is too cute!
This is AWESOME!
I think the distributions will work like this-

Example:
Ultra Sun will get Kyogre in the distrubution
Ultra Moon Users will get Groudon.

Ultra Sun will get Ultra Moon exclusive legendaries from the distribution
Ultra Moon will get Ultra Sun exclusive Legendaries from the distribution.

This makes sense because it makes it easier to get the middle legends of each duo.
And thank God, because the GTS trades for the opposite game legends are awful!

EdSpaged

Poison Pal
100% Speculation Here, but I'm going to guess the 2 Non UB GX cards we're missing from Ultra Prism are Regigigas and Hetran based on this Schedule.

paulyd84

cooltrainerpaul
I sense a mini set on the horizon... Excellent! :)

Although maybe too near shining legends but a full art loaded CP2 style set be great here!!

Either that or premium legendary Collector's box in stores soon lol

Alex Sableye

Official Pokemon Connoisseur of the Unova Region
I would love to see prism star item cards that can only be played during an opponents turn. For example, a switch card you could play after an opponents Guzma. Right now bluffing in pokemon is near non-existent. The introduction of cards like that would bring a new level of strategy to the game.
Isn't there an old Eevee that evolves on your opponent's turn if one of your opponent's pokemon evolved?

Raven Zombie

Dark/Ghost Trainer
i figure we will get the US versions of the Dragon Storm and Champion Road sets on either the Unova or Johto off-months. unless the set in Nov is Unova... then we should get Dragon Storm in July and Champion Road in Oct.

I also have this weird feeling we are getting a surprise DPP remake with very little build up, for switch mid 2018, and the gen 8 game holiday 2019.

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
Why do they keep forgetting Suicune exists...
Suicune was the Star of the Pokemon Crystal. So it makes it clear as a third-party Pokemon. Plus, in USUM, you need both Entei and Raikou to call Suicune in Wormholes.

So, since the trailer says New TCG-related Products every month related to Legendary Pokémon, I assume these products are:
Dialga-GX/Palkia-GX Box
Regigigas/Heatran GX Box
Entei/Raikou Box (makes sense! Incoming box in April)
Xerneas/Yveltal GX Box
Shiny Zygarde GX Box
... And so on.

I'm not sure though

superdan51

Make Metagross-GX Great!
@RedSuinit I personally don't think you've ever played the TCG competitively with the points you're making.

N has been in the format for a long time right now. It needs to leave for the TCG to progress as a game. If you make a game that doesn't mechanically change for a long time, you'll just end up with extremely cookie cutter gameplay forever. Things like Float stone, and Sycamore/Juniper are long overdue to leave. They had their time to shine, but that time is over. They make the game too easy and they don't punish the player for making stupid plays. It doesn't punish strong cards like Garb. Drop a float and you're good. Mechanically that's very weak for a TCG, and just shows a lack of game development and innovation. Having the same cards in format for 7 years in a game that used to show so much innovation is depressing. Its very lazy and doesn't help change the game for the better. N was great when it first came out because it was the best draw support we had.

Now its just toxic for gameplay. A lot of cards that could help decks make a better splash are next to useless due to N being in the format. Metagross for example has a great GX attack, it basically guarantees another 2 Metagross. Now that would be great if cookie cutter Lele --> N wasn't a thing. Mechanically this has been the same for 7 years. Previously with Jirachi, now with Lele. Why did this need to be a thing? It didn't, it just showed that Pokemon Labs has no idea how to build creative mechanics any longer. Look at the big basics meta we just left. It was the most toxic and least skill reliant meta we've ever seen. We didn't need Shaymin to make Night March better, we didn't Hoopa to make the basics meta better. It was all so cookie cutter that it broke the game down to who drew their ultra balls and battle compressors better. Things are looking upwards as of current, but I no longer play so I cant say for certain that things are better. I know for a fact that Pokemon Labs has royally screwed up right now with the metal support beyond proportions. It sort of reminds me of the play night march or play a night march counter meta we're falling into again.

These sort of things are why we need the game to mechanically move from old habits like N and Sycamore. There no longer needs to be this crutch. We've gotten past that shitty time in TCG history, it needs to move to something new, new draw support, new item cards. If we never allow the game to move away from the same cards that have been in format for 7 years, then the game will never innovate. This game needs innovation to continue selling and moving forward. All good things come to an end. Let these cards die already, as I've said above, they've already seen the light of day, let some new cards see the light now. Its whats best for the game. As i'm saying this Prism Trainers are a great idea. They punish cards that are extremely strong by forcing limits on what strategies they can be used in. If N NEEDS to come back, make it a Prism Star. There's no need for them to allow 4 in a deck any longer. This ideology follows for Float Stone, and Sycamore.

RedSuinit

Aspiring Trainer
@RedSuinit I personally don't think you've ever played the TCG competitively with the points you're making.

N has been in the format for a long time right now. It needs to leave for the TCG to progress as a game. If you make a game that doesn't mechanically change for a long time, you'll just end up with extremely cookie cutter gameplay forever. Things like Float stone, and Sycamore/Juniper are long overdue to leave. They had their time to shine, but that time is over. They make the game too easy and they don't punish the player for making stupid plays. It doesn't punish strong cards like Garb. Drop a float and you're good. Mechanically that's very weak for a TCG, and just shows a lack of game development and innovation. Having the same cards in format for 7 years in a game that used to show so much innovation is depressing. Its very lazy and doesn't help change the game for the better. N was great when it first came out because it was the best draw support we had.

Now its just toxic for gameplay. A lot of cards that could help decks make a better splash are next to useless due to N being in the format. Metagross for example has a great GX attack, it basically guarantees another 2 Metagross. Now that would be great if cookie cutter Lele --> N wasn't a thing. Mechanically this has been the same for 7 years. Previously with Jirachi, now with Lele. Why did this need to be a thing? It didn't, it just showed that Pokemon Labs has no idea how to build creative mechanics any longer. Look at the big basics meta we just left. It was the most toxic and least skill reliant meta we've ever seen. We didn't need Shaymin to make Night March better, we didn't Hoopa to make the basics meta better. It was all so cookie cutter that it broke the game down to who drew their ultra balls and battle compressors better. Things are looking upwards as of current, but I no longer play so I cant say for certain that things are better. I know for a fact that Pokemon Labs has royally screwed up right now with the metal support beyond proportions. It sort of reminds me of the play night march or play a night march counter meta we're falling into again.

These sort of things are why we need the game to mechanically move from old habits like N and Sycamore. There no longer needs to be this crutch. We've gotten past that shitty time in TCG history, it needs to move to something new, new draw support, new item cards. If we never allow the game to move away from the same cards that have been in format for 7 years, then the game will never innovate. This game needs innovation to continue selling and moving forward. All good things come to an end. Let these cards die already, as I've said above, they've already seen the light of day, let some new cards see the light now. Its whats best for the game. As i'm saying this Prism Trainers are a great idea. They punish cards that are extremely strong by forcing limits on what strategies they can be used in. If N NEEDS to come back, make it a Prism Star. There's no need for them to allow 4 in a deck any longer. This ideology follows for Float Stone, and Sycamore.

Except not only have I played competitively, I still do. I regularly go to Regional level tournaments.

The idea that a card needs to leave because it has been in the game for a long time is just silly. You're entire argument is flawed. There are still cards that disturb a players hand.

You would have to ban N, Wicke, Ilima, Judge, red card, peeking red card, etc. The only thing N does that those don't is punish hyper aggressive decks, keeping them in check.

The meta is literally changing every, single, month...... There has not been a meta this fluid and volatile in a long freaking time. I'm starting to think that you don't play the game at a competitive level.

Rcxd9999

Aspiring Trainer
This is AWESOME!
I think the distributions will work like this-

Example:
Ultra Sun will get Kyogre in the distrubution
Ultra Moon Users will get Groudon.

Ultra Sun will get Ultra Moon exclusive legendaries from the distribution
Ultra Moon will get Ultra Sun exclusive Legendaries from the distribution.

This makes sense because it makes it easier to get the middle legends of each duo.
And thank God, because the GTS trades for the opposite game legends are awful!

That is indeed how the distribution will work but a couple other details are that USUM will the Pokemon at level 100 with a Gold Bottle Cap attached while SM will get the Pokemon at level 60 with no item. Also Sun will get the same Pokemon as Ultra Sun and Moon will get the same Pokemon as Ultra Moon.

There are a couple other small details like differences in moves but you can check those in my previous post.

superdan51

Make Metagross-GX Great!
Except not only have I played competitively, I still do. I regularly go to Regional level tournaments.

The idea that a card needs to leave because it has been in the game for a long time is just silly. You're entire argument is flawed. There are still cards that disturb a players hand.

You would have to ban N, Wicke, Ilima, Judge, red card, peeking red card, etc. The only thing N does that those don't is punish hyper aggressive decks, keeping them in check.

The meta is literally changing every, single, month..... There has not been a meta this fluid and volatile in a long freaking time. I'm starting to think that you don't play the game at a competitive level.

Im gonna reply to this and end it here, as @crystal_pidgeot said it seems that you aren't reading our replies and just staying blind to the real issue N provides to the game.

Yes the card does need to leave, that's it. Its not like ultra ball where its a staple that really doesn't break the game fundamentally. N can serve so many different purposes that currently its not healthy for the game. Every other supporter card that we have right now does 1 thing, but comes with draw backs that can outweigh their use in some matches. Guzma requires a switch on your side, which is far better than Lysandre which I would say is on the same level as N currently. Sycamore requires you to discard everything in your hand to get a fresh hand, which also makes it very risky to use late game as it cuts through a little under an 8th of your deck. N not only saves your hand, it can reshuffle the opponents hand, as well as late game it disrupts the opponent if they've pushed too far ahead, and it can save you from decking out. All things that don't need to be here any longer. Its pros far outweigh its cons. That makes a card potentially broken more often than not. Very often you will take a quick lead in a match and get N'd to dead draw which could cost you a match. A trainer card shouldn't be able to all of those things.

The other disruption cards come with more cons than pros. Illma is too risky, it risks disruption, but it could cost you heavily if the rng isn't on your side. Judge and Red Card Guarantee 4 cards + the draw for turn. That doesn't sound too bad. 4 Cards usually works out in your favor. N for 6 on your side and 1 for the opponent is pretty toxic though. Its a supporter card. It benefits you too much to be healthy. Punishing aggressive decks isn't the issue. If you make a bad play and drop the wrong cards, the opponent shouldn't be punished for your mistake. That makes no sense. If you don't see the issue with N by this point i'm sorry you wont ever see it. Hyper Aggressive decks punish bad plays early game, that's what they're meant to do. Look at Buzzwole, hes very strong early game. He can pick up a quick 2-3 prizes with the proper start. Why should he be punished by a trainer card for playing properly. N allows you to make bad plays, get punished, and then punish the opponents hand size because of that. Its the fact that you can even be getting outplayed on one turn, and retaliate with the disruption + draw support + an attack as well. That's terrible game balance. The card is so strong and nothing can stop it. It needs to leave. If you want to disrupt, play the cards for it, if you want draw support play the cards for it, but having both in 1 card isn't good for the game, and makes all those other cards just that much more useless while N is still in format.

If you cant understand that, then I cannot explain it any further. N is bad for the game, and it needs to leave standard this year.

RedSuinit

Aspiring Trainer
Im gonna reply to this and end it here, as @crystal_pidgeot said it seems that you aren't reading our replies and just staying blind to the real issue N provides to the game.

Yes the card does need to leave, that's it. Its not like ultra ball where its a staple that really doesn't break the game fundamentally. N can serve so many different purposes that currently its not healthy for the game. Every other supporter card that we have right now does 1 thing, but comes with draw backs that can outweigh their use in some matches. Guzma requires a switch on your side, which is far better than Lysandre which I would say is on the same level as N currently. Sycamore requires you to discard everything in your hand to get a fresh hand, which also makes it very risky to use late game as it cuts through a little under an 8th of your deck. N not only saves your hand, it can reshuffle the opponents hand, as well as late game it disrupts the opponent if they've pushed too far ahead, and it can save you from decking out. All things that don't need to be here any longer. Its pros far outweigh its cons. That makes a card potentially broken more often than not. Very often you will take a quick lead in a match and get N'd to dead draw which could cost you a match. A trainer card shouldn't be able to all of those things.

The other disruption cards come with more cons than pros. Illma is too risky, it risks disruption, but it could cost you heavily if the rng isn't on your side. Judge and Red Card Guarantee 4 cards + the draw for turn. That doesn't sound too bad. 4 Cards usually works out in your favor. N for 6 on your side and 1 for the opponent is pretty toxic though. Its a supporter card. It benefits you too much to be healthy. Punishing aggressive decks isn't the issue. If you make a bad play and drop the wrong cards, the opponent shouldn't be punished for your mistake. That makes no sense. If you don't see the issue with N by this point i'm sorry you wont ever see it. Hyper Aggressive decks punish bad plays early game, that's what they're meant to do. Look at Buzzwole, hes very strong early game. He can pick up a quick 2-3 prizes with the proper start. Why should he be punished by a trainer card for playing properly. N allows you to make bad plays, get punished, and then punish the opponents hand size because of that. Its the fact that you can even be getting outplayed on one turn, and retaliate with the disruption + draw support + an attack as well. That's terrible game balance. The card is so strong and nothing can stop it. It needs to leave. If you want to disrupt, play the cards for it, if you want draw support play the cards for it, but having both in 1 card isn't good for the game, and makes all those other cards just that much more useless while N is still in format.

If you cant understand that, then I cannot explain it any further. N is bad for the game, and it needs to leave standard this year.

And you guys aren't reading my replies. So I guess this street goes both ways. Have a good one.

Rcxd9999

Aspiring Trainer
Since it says "Groudon or Kyogre", I wonder if one Pokemon is going to be an Internet download, and the other is going to be the GameStop code card download; switching up which gets the specific download style each month.

Nope. The way it works is that is that US gets UM's exclusive legendary while UM get the other legendary. Also, Sun will get the same Pokemon as US and Moon will get the same Pokemon as UM, except that the Pokemon will be level 100 in USUM and holding a Gold Bottle Cap, while it will be level 60 in SM and won't be holding a Gold Bottle Cap. So in the case of Kyogre and Groudon; US/S will get Kyogre and UM/M will get Groudon.

Also, the code or mystery gift for the event will be generic, with it delivering the pre-determined Pokemon to the game using the code or mystery gift.

There are a couple other details such as different moves that you can check out in my previous post on page 1.