• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Making "Roaring Heat" and "Rock Steady" better!

GeniDude

Lucario-trainer
Hey! I just bought Roaring Heat and Rock Steady! Any tips on how to improve them? What trainers and Pokèmon would be best? (I would also prefer it if all the cards were from Sun & Moon and forwards.)

I was wondering if I should add (not sure on the amounts):

Roaring Heat (https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Roaring_Heat_(TCG)):
Riolu
Lucario
Lucario GX
Incineroar GX
Double Colorless
Kukui
Acerola
Great Ball

Rock Steady (https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Rock_Steady_(TCG)):
Mimikyu
Mewtwo GX
Lycanroc GX
Double Colorless
Kukui
Acerola
Great Ball

As you can probably tell, I`m not an experienced deck-builder, so all help would be apriciated!

In my experience, most theme decks need to be completely and utterly gutted in order to hold up in competitive. For instance, my first deck, a Steel Sun theme deck, eventually morphed into a Metagross GX/Mewtwo GX with almost none of its original cards.

I'm on a time crunch so I can't make specific suggestions, but I would suggest, for example, dropping Psychic from Rock Steady entirely (I play some Theme Deck format and I know the token Psychic presence ain't worth using and has no synergy with the rest of the deck) and focusing on Fighting as a base.

it would be hard to improve those theme deck without destroying them but if you are new to the tcg and want some staples in great decks i recommend getting the keldeo vs. rayquaza battle arena decks witch are $30 (together) and are way better than the theme decks and have some good cards in them like N, Sycamore, VS. seeker, and keldeo ex and blastiose has a great synergy as well.

Good luck learning how to build successful decks though! :)

Also take a list at the list of budget decks thread in this subforum. A lot of cheap but effective decks there to help get you started.

In Pokemon TCGO, there was a challenge where I had to deal 5000 damage from Dragon type pokemon, so I made a deck with nothing but Dragon types. The deck was decent. It isn't dominating anything, but when it works, it works.

Almost every card in that deck came from theme decks.

2 White Kyurem came from Cold Fire
Druddigon came from Plasma Claw
Salamence line came from Aurora Blast
Almost all the trainers came from theme decks
All the energy I used came from theme decks

Other than the free packs I get for daily rewards, the only codes I input into TCGO is one of the two theme decks per set, so I have so many potions, energy retrievals, and your typical "Draw 3 cards" card.

If you bought every single theme deck that existed from Breakthrough onwards, I'm pretty sure you can build a decent deck using only cards from the theme decks. It would be better if you could augment it with tin promos.

I buy nothing but theme deck, and as a theme deck collector, I never take my theme decks apart. The great thing about Pokemon TCG Online is that as long as you have 4 copies of a certain card, you can use 4 copies of that card in all your decks without having to move the 4 copies of that card from one deck to another deck.

All I have to say is, the Bright Tide theme deck is horrible. If I were to improve it, I would get rid of every card and start from scratch. Some of the cards in there are useless, or that I just don't know how to use the deck.

Last edited:
I'd suggest you double down on Roaring Heat, gutting Rock Steady for some trainers, adding DCE to form a Passimian deck.

With the staple supporters already mentioned, you'd only have to hunt down Mew (FCO) and it's game. Won't make you fame and fortune but it's a good start.

Back