Discussion Octillery or Oranguru in Tapu Bulu GX?

FrostBiter12

Upcoming Worlds Competitor!
Hey everyone, I have been debating with a friend of mine about a Tapu Bulu GX deck and one of the topics that came up is "Which is better, Octillery or Oranguru?". Personally, I would play Oranguru since you can attack with it if needed, but Octillery really works with this deck since it plays almost like a tool box (requiring just specific cards). Since this deck also focuses on Skyla, a draw support that can coincide with Skyla (by drawing a good amount of cards since Skyla doesn't) like Octillery is really helpful. Unfortunately, since the deck only has room for a 1-1 line, if you prize one of them the entire line is useless.

Let me know what you think, thanks!

Oranguru I think, because, like you said, it takes less spots in the deck and it gets set up instantly. Plus it can be an attacker in a pinch (good vs safeguarders)

Technically neither bulu needs vikavolt and an attachment every turn to take prizes you don't need the draw if you can take the prizes with what's on the board as for one or the other do Octillery as you won't get your hand down that low usually

Oranguru I think, because, like you said, it takes less spots in the deck and it gets set up instantly. Plus it can be an attacker in a pinch (good vs safeguarders)

Technically neither bulu needs vikavolt and an attachment every turn to take prizes you don't need the draw if you can take the prizes with what's on the board as for one or the other do Octillery as you won't get your hand down that low usually

So in my tests, in turns out that Octillery is better mainly since your hand doesn't really go down below three cards (as @AuraJackle mentioned) . I don't attack with Oranguru ever, so I don't think that it is required for that reason (since by the point that you need to attack with Oranguru, you've probably already lost). Only problem is space, but I think I can work something out. I'll post a list in the deck garage sometime soon. Thanks for the suggestions!

I think that Oranguru is a bit better, since he is a basic and all you have to do is bench him. And mostly, you'll just use either of them when you are far ahead in prizes.

Hey everyone, I have been debating with a friend of mine about a Tapu Bulu GX deck and one of the topics that came up is "Which is better, Octillery or Oranguru?". Personally, I would play Oranguru since you can attack with it if needed, but Octillery really works with this deck since it plays almost like a tool box (requiring just specific cards). Since this deck also focuses on Skyla, a draw support that can coincide with Skyla (by drawing a good amount of cards since Skyla doesn't) like Octillery is really helpful. Unfortunately, since the deck only has room for a 1-1 line, if you prize one of them the entire line is useless.

Let me know what you think, thanks!

I Think 2 Orangurus better in this case!!! octillery is really easy to knock out, and exist the chance to remoraid or octillery in prize.

Honestly from observations and seeing my friends bulu deck. I would say none of the above. Simply put your better off saving the deck space for vikavolt whos already a stage 2 and the the bench space could be critical if a lele is required.

Your better off adding a pokemon like mew with that ability that can copy one of your pokemons attacks. That way your opponent can only take 1 prize and it hits just as hard as bulu. I would suggest just adding more draw supporter cards if thats your issue.

But either way ultimately its your deck so you should just playtest and see what works best with you and your style. I'm only suggesting with what I have observed seeing different bulu decks and what I thought worked best.

Octillery or nothing. Octillery helps you draw into Professor Kukui/Skyla when you need them which makes things less awkward. But honestly just streamlined is fine and prb more consistent, especially if you have Vikavokt cause you’re essentially N proof and guaranteed to hit 2 energies regardless.

I'm also on the 'Octillery-side'. I played a lot of games (like 350 or something?) with VikaBulu. It has been my main deck for like 5 months, took it to a League Challenge, a League Cup, and a Regionals and Internationals as well). Yes, 1 in 5 games one of the 2 cards is prized. But on the other side: Octillery is always great, but late game I think it's most necessary, and then you likely will have both cards available.

And IF Octillery is out, it does help consistency, it does help to draw you that grass energy you need, the choice band, or indeed the Skyla, Sycamore or something to not get stuck.

It depends on the route you take with the deck.
If you play any count of Sycamore, play Orange guru, since Sycamore itself is huge draw power, and whiffing the Sycamore in that engine while burning your hand down fits Oranguru's purpose better
If you play the 0 Sycamore, heavy Skyla based engine, then Octillery is the way to go. The extra added space from not playing Sycamore evens out with the space being used by the Octillery line.

Octillery and Octillery only. Someone mentioned that your hand doesn't usually go below three for Oranguru to be as effective, and that person is absolutely right. With Stage-2 decks, you often have a couple pieces of the puzzle you need to make a play in your hand and you just need one more card. With Oranguru, it's harder to dig for that last card when you're capped at three instead of five. Furthermore, Octillery is far stronger late game than Oranguru - those two cards really go a long way.

I've opted to switch to 2-1 Octillery. Some lists play the 1-1, and you can get away with that, but I know how bad the N to 2 or 1 hurts late game and if I don't have a perfect board...N can bring them back into the game. I like to Brigette for the little fish guy T1 if I can or at least have the peace of mind that even if I don't, I should have access to one copy sooner or later.

I have tried octillery on decks that use stage 2 pokemon as core and it is way to slow so it will only work on late game and since you run a 1-1 line it will be even slower but, I have also tried oranguru on this kind of decks and I found a bigger problem, I couldn't get rid of some cards in my hand so it became useless until late game so both are bad choices.

This might sound crazy but perhaps Zoroark GX could be an alternative, letting you fish for rare candy or cards that you may need while adding a cheap attacker to the deck, also works with mallow in other to get a rare candy and a Vikavolt. The only problem is the 1-1 line and the fact that it also takes time to set up.

Finally I would add that this deck is better of using a lot of tapu lele to get what you need and pray your opponent doesn't manage to get you stuck (this being the main reason of why I don't like this deck).

Oranguru is much more effective. Bulu plays its hand down a lot, assuming you’re playing a half-decent list. Having played Bulu a ton, Oranguru does the job of being protected from N just fine. Octillery as a 1-1 means a piece can be prized. Bulu needs space for techs and that one spot for a remoraid or even 3 if you go a 2-2 line is unnecessary.
I play a heavily consistent version of Bulu with 4 Skylas, going below 3 cards in hand is very easy to do if you play correctly.

Personally, I've tested Oranguru in a few decks and it's never been as good as Octillery. My first time playing VikaBulu included Oranguru but I eventually changed to the 1-1 Octillery line instead. It's just a better set-up late game, at least for my play style... I know some of you don't agree but it's all good. If you're worried about a secondary attacker, play Mew in the deck so you can hit consistent knock-outs. Check out the deck that placed in Memphis recently.

the deck runs itself, thus you always have a high hand size. octillery is the way to go, so you always have what you need (i would go with a 2-2 line if possible)

Back