Discussion How do you deal with losing streaks?

PlatinumDude

Aspiring Trainer
This applies to both the online and real life versions of the Pokemon TCG.

I was caught in a losing streak in PTCGO, which is why I posted this discussion. There are times when I end up with a bad hand I can't make use of at the moment, which tends to tilt me a lot. As much as I hate to admit it, the frustration that results of this can also affect my future playing that can lead to reckless decisions.

Note why I lost and adjust my deck. If I'm dead drawing a lot, then I've probably missed something in my build to support my strategy. I don't see the point in getting frustrated; it's not like there's anything on the line.

I just keep punching at it until at some point I win. If I get frustrated, take some time to cool off before trying again. And if a deck seems to lose a lot to a diverse array of decks (instead of just one or two that counter it), then figure out what ain't working and swap it out with something to make it better or more efficient.

I used the Bright Tide theme deck in the theme deck format in Pokemon TCG format, and to me, every hand is a bad hand. That deck sucks. I can never win with it.

Just curious, in what way would you consider a win as a blowout win, and in what way would you consider a loss as "laying an egg"? In baseball, a run differential, of 20 is considered a blowout win. If you score 0 runs, you essentially "laid an egg".

I used the Bright Tide theme deck in the theme deck format in Pokemon TCG format, and to me, every hand is a bad hand. That deck sucks. I can never win with it.

Just curious, in what way would you consider a win as a blowout win, and in what way would you consider a loss as "laying an egg"? In baseball, a run differential, of 20 is considered a blowout win. If you score 0 runs, you essentially "laid an egg".

To me, a knockout win is when you take all six of your prize cards while your opponent takes none. You didn't beat them because you got a strong basic and a full bench on turn one all they had was a Cosmog. You beat them because you threshed through enough Pokémon to win by taking all the prize cards.

Alternatively, you win by decking out your opponent and they never took a prize card.

I try to optimize my list as much as possible, take a short break, and keep at it. If I continue to lose when something isn't fully in my control, I just stop playing that deck. This is why a lot of players stick to the same deck for long periods of time. If you get to the point where you play recklessly, just take a break for a little while until your head clears and you can think straight again. Mentally reset that losing streak from X to 0.

Back