News Japan's December Sets: 'Ultra Sun' and 'Ultra Moon!'

TheRealBro..

Interesting that she didn't design Jolteon and Flareon then.. Well, always liked Vaporeon better anyway so cheers! Cool artwork on the Eevee card btw.

cardgjammer

Aspiring Trainer
Can we see Glaceon/Leafeon GX/Prism Star in set?

On the next set's luxray evolution family front, the last thing anyone wants is a buffed Toad at the cost of its Grenade Hammer... 1 energy vs. two for item lock? Different species and stage than the original?

^ Today, everyone does not like it when quaking punch or anything similar is used against them, because set up becomes harder w/o ultra balls... :(

Last edited:

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
I only play one Lele GX and I'm fine. And I play three Ultra Ball. But then again, I'm not everyone, am I?

I guess people don't like understanding the point and would rather be sarcastic, pointing out that absolute words like everyone are improper to use to sound smart, so I'll have to explain.

Budget players don't use any Lele. Casual players don't care about "the meta" and play any Pokemon they want and things people would never consider for the meta because it makes things more interesting for them. There are players who will still challenge the competitive scene with a "non-competitive" or "rogue" deck list just to put their theories to the test. Some people don't even play the game and own the cards as collectors. The list of profiles is endless. Obviously these kinds of different players/collectors exist, and I thought this was obvious to not have to be written out, but apparently I was wrong.

Everyone (who is seriously focused on topping events like regionals, internationals, and reaching a respectable placement at worlds, aka meta players who have a huge impact on the shape and direction of the competitive aspect of the game) plays 4 Ultra Ball and 2, 3, or 4 Lele. These are the decks you see on Top 8 lists on Pokemon's Official Website and the players you see reach the top end placements on streamed events. They get a lot of attention, and that leads to a lot of influence all the way down to the local League Cup level. The prices of singles are directly affected by their meta performance, so even a collector or a casual player is affected even when they don't participate at that level.

Prism Star Supporters need to be balanced for the full spectrum of the game, from simply being a collector card in a binder to being a card taken seriously for competitive play.

And if Prism Star Supporters really are THAT good, then people who were teetering on lower copies of Ultra Ball and/or Lele might be "forced" to up their counts in order to make these one of cards more playable and more accessable. It has potential to affect the game in a negative way, and I really hope they don't screw it up. 4 Lele could become standard in all meta decks for the next 2 years just to have the most consistent access to your Prism Star Supporter(s), and the prices of Lele could go back up again. That's a realistic, unhealthy possibility for the game.

We're already at a point where we have the "game deciding" Lysandre or Guzma play. Whether or not you have that supporter or have access to it via Lele deteremines if you can close out a game. We really do not need anymore "supporter for game" plays.

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
  • Shinx/Luxio/Luxray - OMG! OMG! Item Lock is back... for good? Before Prof. google got a review on this evo line, All of them are very vulnerable to Buzzwole. 1 Strong Energy can OHKO them. Shinx has the GEN Caterpie ability and you can evolve into Luxio on T1, which is #ABSOLutely Great. 30 for Item Lock on an 80-HP Luxio is ridiculously bit broken, seriously, I hate Item Locks. It made me *Rage Quit*. We have Luxray that has 180 HP,due to the ability, and the fact that Pink Celebi is in the format, make it an Item Lock One-prized spammer. And the Item Lock costs [C], so it can be tech in any deck. Seriously, if you run 1-1 Luxio, Buzzwole Will have a bright day. And also Weavile will have a bright day because you spam too many ability related Pokémon. 4-5 Geodudes each.

Jason Martin

Aspiring Trainer
I guess people don't like understanding the point and would rather be sarcastic, pointing out that absolute words like everyone are improper to use to sound smart, so I'll have to explain.

Budget players don't use any Lele. Casual players don't care about "the meta" and play any Pokemon they want and things people would never consider for the meta because it makes things more interesting for them. There are players who will still challenge the competitive scene with a "non-competitive" or "rogue" deck list just to put their theories to the test. Some people don't even play the game and own the cards as collectors. The list of profiles is endless. Obviously these kinds of different players/collectors exist, and I thought this was obvious to not have to be written out, but apparently I was wrong.

Everyone (who is seriously focused on topping events like regionals, internationals, and reaching a respectable placement at worlds, aka meta players who have a huge impact on the shape and direction of the competitive aspect of the game) plays 4 Ultra Ball and 2, 3, or 4 Lele. These are the decks you see on Top 8 lists on Pokemon's Official Website and the players you see reach the top end placements on streamed events. They get a lot of attention, and that leads to a lot of influence all the way down to the local League Cup level. The prices of singles are directly affected by their meta performance, so even a collector or a casual player is affected even when they don't participate at that level.

Prism Star Supporters need to be balanced for the full spectrum of the game, from simply being a collector card in a binder to being a card taken seriously for competitive play.

And if Prism Star Supporters really are THAT good, then people who were teetering on lower copies of Ultra Ball and/or Lele might be "forced" to up their counts in order to make these one of cards more playable and more accessable. It has potential to affect the game in a negative way, and I really hope they don't screw it up. 4 Lele could become standard in all meta decks for the next 2 years just to have the most consistent access to your Prism Star Supporter(s), and the prices of Lele could go back up again. That's a realistic, unhealthy possibility for the game.

We're already at a point where we have the "game deciding" Lysandre or Guzma play. Whether or not you have that supporter or have access to it via Lele deteremines if you can close out a game. We really do not need anymore "supporter for game" plays.
So true. I'm a card dealer in a smaller market, and the demand on Lele's in INSANE. So many games are being decided by Lele fetches now. If these prism star supporters are that strong, 4x Lele is going to be as default as 4x Sycamore, and the price for Lele is going to hover around $100.

Abandos

Aspiring Trainer
Pretty neat gimmick if u could get it in play on second turn and lock your opponont out of item cards, otherwise useless imo (even for sniping not that interesting)

SmiteKnight

Destroying half the universe one snap at a time
The luxray ability makes him immune to Jet punch if the ‘Wole doesnt have a strong energy/FFB

riChchestMat

Aspiring Trainer
Shinx artwork is nice. Just like a few days ago it's a nice artwork from the creator of that atrocious derpy Eevee and Pikachu. Amazing what you can do when you draw eyes above the nose.

uncleyuri

~
Definitely will see play. You can item lock opppnent T1 for a colorless then use shining celebi to keep the lock going with a 150 hp, 1 prize pokemon that takes 30 less damage. I'd imagine 4 max potions will be in the list as well.

Alakazam90125

Aspiring Trainer
Definitely will see play. You can item lock opppnent T1 for a colorless then use shining celebi to keep the lock going with a 150 hp, 1 prize pokemon that takes 30 less damage. I'd imagine 4 max potions will be in the list as well.
You could use Shining Celebi, and just sit there and Item lock with a 150 HP Pokemon that takes 30 less damage from attacks.