News 'Ultra Sun' and 'Ultra Moon' Review Copies Out, Some Spoilers!

evilpacman

Voltorb Collector
Zeraora, why do you have to be pure Electric? It looks so much like part Fighting.
The same goes for Luxray (Electric>Electric/Dark), Xurkitree (Electric>Electric/Bug), Ampharos (Electric/Normal), Eelekross (Electric>Electric/Water), etc.

Zeraora looks like it could be Fighting type, I'll agree with that, but if they made Xurkitree part Bug, I'd quit Pokemon on the spot. There is nothing about that Pokemon that makes it a bug or even an arthropod. Also, I'd be pretty darn upset it Ampharos is Normal type. I can't stand adding Normal as a secondary type because Normal Pokemon are basically "typeless". The only one that gets a pass, in my opinion, is Girafarig, because half it's body is Normal and the other half is Psychic. Although, even that shouldn't have happened, because it should be Psychic/Dark... but I digress.

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
Zeraora looks like it could be Fighting type, I'll agree with that, but if they made Xurkitree part Bug, I'd quit Pokemon on the spot. There is nothing about that Pokemon that makes it a bug or even an arthropod. Also, I'd be pretty darn upset it Ampharos is Normal type. I can't stand adding Normal as a secondary type because Normal Pokemon are basically "typeless". The only one that gets a pass, in my opinion, is Girafarig, because half it's body is Normal and the other half is Psychic. Although, even that shouldn't have happened, because it should be Psychic/Dark... but I digress.
I agree about Zeraora and Xurkitree, but Normal types are for things that are NORMAL, not TYPELESS. Things like regular animals (birds, Giraffes, Sheep, Dogs, Koalas, Lions, etc.) should all 100% be normal types. Also, some typeless pokemon do fit into the type of Normal. An Example is Togepi (pre Gen-6), Also, in response to the original reply from @Francis Tallo an Electric/Dark Luxray makes no sense, he's literally based on X-RAYs (a form of light).

TheRealBro..

Things like regular animals (birds, Giraffes, Sheep, Dogs, Koalas, Lions, etc.) should all 100% be normal types.

Ehm, no. If that would be the case than every ''normal'' animal (from frogs to bears) would have to be pure normal types, so a blue frog like Greninja for instance would be a normal type. Even Moltres/Zapdos/Articuno would have to be normal types by that logic because they are birds. Safe the normal typing for blandish Pokemon like Miltank and Dunsparce (mostly early game Pokemon) that have no connection to any other type.

Perfect_Shot

Armored Core>Elden Ring
People who are complaining about these games need to put things in perspective...

Pokémon Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum were slightly enhanced versions of their respective generations. They offered a few new story elements, but were overall the same games. HeartGold, SoulSilver, OmegaRuby, AlphaSapphire were remakes. They added tons of new content compared to the originals, but didn't introduce new Pokémon to the franchise. Black 2 and White 2, while offering a new story, didn't introduce new Pokémon to the franchise.

Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are introducing several new Ultra Beasts and a new Mythical to the franchise. They're also adding tons of new features and a completely alternate storyline, and it looks like it's going to have strong post-game content between the Team Rainbow Rocket story arc and the Battle Agency. And I haven't even covered how much bigger the competitive scene is about to get between the expanded Pokédex, Move Tutors, hidden abilities, and whatever else I'm forgetting to mention. What I'm trying to say is that I don't understand why people are writing these games off because there's no new Alolan forms or Mega Evolutions. They've already added more content than the majority of their past "third installment" games.

Alright, I've been trying to not look at anything about these games because I've been so disappointed with this franchise for a while now, but this point just triggers me.... So...

'People' who are complaining about these games are doing it for a very justified reason: Content. There has been absolute shit for content in the past few games, (Late Gen IV was about the best, the rest of the games were basically about how little GF could put into a game and get away with it) the usual story grind only takes a few hours, then you're back to the same old 'catch X number of Legendaries we decided to throw in' and 'play this copy-pasted Battle Tower/Maison/Tree/Something facility' where the AI doesn't even come close to comprehending how to play the game.

The Pokemon point of yours is the worst, because Gen VII has had the most ugly nonsense excuses for Pokemon since, well, Gen V. The most recently unveiled ones look horrendous, and honestly, they really do need to stop making new Pokemon if they're going to look so terrible and for once focus on gameplay.

About the expanded Dex and the other stuff: Move tutors and the like, as well as a decent sized Pokedex, should be an expectation in every game, not something GF puts in and takes away as they like. Lazy developers is the only real excuse for that. The Battle Agency is just a copy of the Battle Factory, except from what I read on this site, the Agency doesn't allow Doubles, so I don't see how this game has more content. As for stuff that already existed, like the Battle Royal, it really only is fun online and quite frankly there are far better online games than this series.

And if the Rocket arc is just another 15 minute Looker quest, screw it.

HouchinsDJ

Aspiring Trainer
Alright, I've been trying to not look at anything about these games because I've been so disappointed with this franchise for a while now, but this point just triggers me.... So...

'People' who are complaining about these games are doing it for a very justified reason: Content. There has been absolute shit for content in the past few games, (Late Gen IV was about the best, the rest of the games were basically about how little GF could put into a game and get away with it) the usual story grind only takes a few hours, then you're back to the same old 'catch X number of Legendaries we decided to throw in' and 'play this copy-pasted Battle Tower/Maison/Tree/Something facility' where the AI doesn't even come close to comprehending how to play the game.

The Pokemon point of yours is the worst, because Gen VII has had the most ugly nonsense excuses for Pokemon since, well, Gen V. The most recently unveiled ones look horrendous, and honestly, they really do need to stop making new Pokemon if they're going to look so terrible and for once focus on gameplay.

About the expanded Dex and the other stuff: Move tutors and the like, as well as a decent sized Pokedex, should be an expectation in every game, not something GF puts in and takes away as they like. Lazy developers is the only real excuse for that. The Battle Agency is just a copy of the Battle Factory, except from what I read on this site, the Agency doesn't allow Doubles, so I don't see how this game has more content. As for stuff that already existed, like the Battle Royal, it really only is fun online and quite frankly there are far better online games than this series.

And if the Rocket arc is just another 15 minute Looker quest, screw it.

Oh no, I triggered someone. :rolleyes:

Everything that you stated is completely and utterly your opinion. Everyone plays the game differently. Some players like playing through the main story, some focus on completing the Pokédex, some spend hundreds of hours shiny hunting, others spend that time building competitive teams and playing online. Some enjoy doing all of those things and more. The content is there, it just depends on how you enjoy playing the game. I've logged hundreds, actually thousands, of hours between BW, B2W2, XY, ORAS, and SuMo, so your argument that the games after Gen IV "were basically about how little GF could put into a game and get away with it" doesn't apply to me, as I'm sure many other readers here can relate.

But here's the thing: We're both biased. I've enjoyed every Generation while you clearly have not. And that's fine. You're entitled to your opinion just like I'm entitled to mine. The purpose of my original comment was to highlight the fact that, content-wise, USUM offer just as much, if not more, than past "enhanced" installments. Compare Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum to their originals. They offered some differences to the main story and added a few new features. That's why I said that people complaining about these games, which aren't even officially out yet, need to put things in perspective. Go back a few months on Pokémon's Facebook page. Every time they revealed some new information about the games, the comments were flooded with "OMG THAT'S IT!?!" and "These games are no different than Sun and Moon." Turns out they are different... with new Pokémon, a completely alternate main story, brand new post-game content, and more... yet some are still complaining. When's the last time an enhanced version introduced new Pokémon to the franchise?

If you don't want to play the games then that's fine. Many, many other people will enjoy them.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
No more mega pokemon will be made in my opinion.

I know they aren't being made. I want to know if they are in the game and will be legal for VGC. I want to use my mega Pidgeot and want to know if I'll be able to do that since that will determine if I buy the game.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I know they aren't being made. I want to know if they are in the game and will be legal for VGC. I want to use my mega Pidgeot and want to know if I'll be able to do that since that will determine if I buy the game.

Yes, they are allowed:

https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/a-new-video-game-championships-format-for-2018/

All Pokémon in the National Pokédex are allowed, with the following restrictions:

Pokémon must have the Alola symbol showing they were caught in the Alola region

All items are allowed, but duplicate items are not allowed

You may have to trade the stone over and breed your birds if they aren't already born in gen 7 but using Mega Grandma is fine.

PieterPie

Aspiring Trainer
Would have been cool if it were an actual pokemon called surfing pikachu, like you could catch it in the water, and it would be riding a board ...

Attix

Electric Delivery Driver from Washington
Now that the games have been out (officially) for a few day, I'll start by saying that Ultra Necrozma is a bitch.

Rather than bore you with the specifics, I'll just leave you with this tl;dr of the fight.

vzVCDyV.png