• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard VikaBulu with some tweaks

lukas2aces

Aspiring Trainer
Hi there to all watching. I’ve been playing a VikaBulu deck for a couple of months now.

Online I played like 300 games with it (win rate around 60 %) and made top 8 in PokeBeach Tournament of September.

In real life, I won a League Challenge with 8 people with this deck, but at the Regionals in Bremen I went 2/2/5, so way too many ties. Yesterday I played a League Cup but ended 2/3/0, so that wasn’t really a great record. First round was against Golisopod / Garbodor, where I lost game 3, just needed 1 more prize card (so loss), won second round against Drampa / Garbodor, and then played 3 rounds against Gardevoir, won one of the three. So that was 5 rounds of difficult matchups for VikaBulu. Small side note: I played my League Cup with 2 Kukui in my list, which I replaced for Po Town due to my experiences against Gardevoir-GX.

I will go to Internationals in London in like 4 weeks. I might play VikaBulu there as well. Yes, this might be a spoiler alert for some people attending Internationals in London as well, but I’ll take it: I appreciate your advice more than the ‘risk of spoiling’.

My current list is:

##Pokémon - 17

* 3 Grubbin SUM 13
* 2 Tapu Bulu-GX PR-SM SM32
* 1 Charjabug SUM 51
* 3 Vikavolt SUM 52
* 1 Tapu Koko PR-SM SM31
* 1 Tapu Koko-GX PR-SM SM33
* 1 Espeon-EX BKP 52
* 1 Mew FCO 29
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
* 1 Remoraid BKT 31
* 1 Octillery BKT 33

##Trainerkaarten - 32

* 1 Brock's Grit EVO 74
* 2 Po Town BUS 121
* 1 Skyla BKP 122
* 3 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 1 Brigette BKT 134
* 2 Energy Recycler GRI 123
* 3 Field Blower GRI 125
* 3 Guzma BUS 115
* 4 N NVI 92
* 1 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 1 Heavy Ball NXD 88
* 2 Choice Band GRI 121

##Energie - 11

* 4 Lightning Energy 4
* 7 Grass Energy GRI 167

I’m looking for advice. On the one hand, advice on how to improve certain matchups is welcome, and just overall advice for my deck. On the other hand, I’m looking for concrete yes or no’s to a few cards (most of them of Crimson Invasion / Ultra Beasts) I’m not sure to place in my deck or not. Those cards are:

- Xurkitree-GX (http://www.pokebeach.com/2017/09/xurkitree-gx-from-sm4); might be great against especially Gardevoir-GX, since it’s ability blocks damage from Pokemon with Special Energy cards, and it might be hard to discard them once attached (will maybe cost 2 retreats for the other player which might flip the prize trade in my favor? Sure they can Guzma but I can switch back to Xurkitree-GX again). Since Internationals in London is actually the first weekend (November 17 - 19) this card is legal, it might surprise people as well?

- Pheromosa-GX (http://www.pokebeach.com/2017/09/pheromosa-gx-from-sm4); it doesn’t look that great, but could win games turn 1 before opponent can do anything since it can attack on turn 1, against Greninja decks or a deck with only a Remoraid in active since it hits for weakness then. In theory it could OHKO every basic Pokemon with max. 60 HP with FFB and Kukui, but let’s suppose that’s not gonna happen (although you could Lele for a Kukui, so if you have the FFB in hand after the Kukui...!). It also might help to stall, with the attack of 60 and confusion. Might help me if my opponent KO my Vikavolt with Guzma and I haven’t build up another Vikavolt already.

- Parallel City? Might disrupt for example Gardevoir decks, they can’t have 2 Gardevoir, an Octillery and a Gallade on the bench. But I feel like Po Town is better, especially in combination with my Espeon Ex. Am I right there?

- Lusamine (http://www.pokebeach.com/2017/10/full-art-lusamine-from-sm4), to get back for example Po Town, Guzma’s, N’s, or Brock’s Grit if I really need a Pokemon and my Brock’s Grit is in discard.

- Any other cards I should consider, from Shining Legends / Crimson Invasion or maybe from earlier sets? I might have tested those cards (from earlier sets) already, but like I said, every advice is welcome and appreciated!

And, if any (of the above) cards should be included, my main question is: which cards should I remove from my list?

I already had a very interesting discussion about how to make especially the Gardevoir and Metagross matchup easier. You can read that here: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thr...ross-matchup-easier-for-bulu-vikavolt.143829/ Thanks again for all those valuable reactions.

Where do you normally brick, is it just taking that last prize, or is it at the start?
If it’s close to the end you could run more octillery, if it’s near the start than many a Alolan vulpix could help,
Personally I am not a fan of Brock’s grit as it is a dead card at the star of the game, the card that shuffles 5 energy into you deck (can’t remember the name) is better because you can use it after a supporter, or skyla for it
You could drop down on the techs to up the base
Another card that could replace bricks grit is super rod if Pokémon recovery is important
Hope this helps

I can’t really tell, against Garbodor it’s basically about finding a Field Blower. Against Gardevoir it’s mainly because I can’t get 3 OHKO’s on a row, and they can. And because they destroy my set-up with Plea GX (Sylveon GX).

I really don’t have any space for more Octillery I guess, most decks will just run Oranguru so Octillery is already ‘more’ than usual.

The card that shuffles 5 energy back into my deck is Energy Recycler; I have 2 of them in my list as well. I can indeed Skyla for 1 of them, winch improves consistency.

Most of the times I use Brock’s Grit late game indeed, then I don’t really mind about using a supporter but do mind about getting the right Pokemon (mainly Lele or Bulu, sometimes a Vikavolt) and a lot of energy.

Wow... this is certainly a more interesting version of this deck, I don't think I've seen a version of this deck with Espeon not gonna lie... probably for the better, easy ko's on pokemon that get de-evolved.

I like what you're going for but in my experiences with this deck( played it alot and tried many different ideas/partners) the best way to go about it is to stream Bulus as efficient and fast as possible... I'd run with 4 Bulus and your Vikavolt line is solid but I'd ditch the Espeon and promo Koko and probably both Po Towns(although I see what you're going for with it) and just streamline Bulus as fast as you can...not many decks can keep up with 180(210 with choice band) every single turn.... although one kinda odd tech I like in it is the Shaymin from Shining legends being able to pop him down immediately power him up with a strong charge and hit 120 on a 1 prize attacker can really throw the game in your favor

My thought would be as follows:
-1 Espeon-EX
-1 Brock's Grit
+1 Clefairy (EVO)
+1 Skyla

If you're using your Skyla early game (for Candy), mid game to pull back energy, or its prized- you'll be stuck finding that crucial field blower. I like the Clefairy tech- as it can copy Gardy's move- and in doing so if you get a flying flip off early- you just need them to have 4 energy, you have 3...(in my Vika/Crozma/Slash deck, that I think functions quite similarly)- i've used Clefairy and then even stretchered him back for a 2nd KO.

I can’t really tell, against Garbodor it’s basically about finding a Field Blower. Against Gardevoir it’s mainly because I can’t get 3 OHKO’s on a row, and they can. And because they destroy my set-up with Plea GX (Sylveon GX).

I really don’t have any space for more Octillery I guess, most decks will just run Oranguru so Octillery is already ‘more’ than usual.

The card that shuffles 5 energy back into my deck is Energy Recycler; I have 2 of them in my list as well. I can indeed Skyla for 1 of them, winch improves consistency.

Most of the times I use Brock’s Grit late game indeed, then I don’t really mind about using a supporter but do mind about getting the right Pokemon (mainly Lele or Bulu, sometimes a Vikavolt) and a lot of energy.
I think you should get rid of some tech cards in your deck and playtest without them and if it works keep it that way. I like the inclusion of espeon but maybe try without it. Also mew came out of the blue sox would cut that because it isn't like you need to play more defensively because you have some higher hp Pokemon.

I think you should get rid of some tech cards in your deck and playtest without them and if it works keep it that way. I like the inclusion of espeon but maybe try without it. Also mew came out of the blue sox would cut that because it isn't like you need to play more defensively because you have some higher hp Pokemon.
mew came out of the blue sox?
and theres not even a picture to put with this comment

So, let me respond to the suggestions. First of all, thanks for your input!

@AFEX Yes, I thought Espeon Ex would be really great. In reality I feel like I'm not using the card enough, so I might indeed switch it for something better.

@Jacktropolis I absolute see what you mean, but my experiences are that I'm not gonna win against Gardevoir GX, because they will get OHKO's turn after turn, and I won't. So I think I have to do something to make it more likely to win. I think the combination of Xurkitree-GX and then Tapu Koko GX (picking up the Lightning energy for most likely a OHKO) could be interesting, as they need at least 1 turn to adapt to the ability of Xurkitree-GX, if they have attached a DCE on both (or all) of their Gardevoir. Those decks are typically running 9 Fairy energy, if they can just use those fairy energy because you can threat them with Xurkitree-GX they might struggle that 1 turn extra I need to swing the prize race, especially in combination with Mew and maybe Clefairy...

@semurphy444 Clefairy is interesting as well indeed, I have Mew now but Clefairy might OHKO Gardevoir in return, which Mew can't (with only Bulu's ans Lele's on the bench, with Clefairy on the bench Mew can!). I'll give it a try! Another Skyla might be interesting, but I think I'll test with a Mallow. I didn't include that in my list above as possible cards I'm thinking about, but in combination with Octillery it might be so great!

@jessalakasam I actually do run 2 copies of Po town. But I'm thinking to stop using Espeon Ex and my Po Town's..

@JaytheTsunami Mew has free retreat, a great attack (search a Pokemon for 1 energy) and can copy all the attacks of basic Pokemon. So it functions as an extra Bulu, but can also search for a Lele or a Vikavolt early game, and it's just 1 prize card. Or copy the attack of Clefairy :)

Given all your responses, I might make the following adjustments:
- Espeon Ex
- 2 Po town
+ Clefairy
+ Xurkitree-GX
+ Mallow (or Skyla)

And maybe:
- ? (1 Sycamore?)
+ Lusamine

What do you think of the suggestions I made (Xurkitree-GX, Pheromosa-GX, Parallel City, Lusamine or Mallow)? Any other advice?

I think Xurkitree might be overcompensating for Gardy. (I really think you'll like Clefairy and that by itself could turn the matchup.) What other decks play 'Special'? I think all the Garb varients (Golli/Espeon/Drampa) & Ninetales? Because you basically already have access to the attack- LLC for 100 is Koko-Promo's Electric Ball...And does that 100 help you hit the numbers? I dont think it really does.

Donking with Pheromosa could be fun, but how many extra cards are you going to have to donate to it; (You also can go the other way too- You mentioned Lele for Kukui- But if you have Kukui- you Lele for Skyla and grab your belt.) So as long as you had UB and either Kukui or FFB; you'd get the 60 HP donks; which could get a few Ralts, Vulpix, or also now I bet some people are starting Zorua....but you have to be going first which might only happen once in a best of 3..

Let me also suggest the most crazy thing you'll hear: Necrozma-GX....Black Ray-GX is just SO good. You can power it up in a single turn- (attach+strong charge) And then you have to ask yourself does it help you hit the numbers...Lets say you hit their Necrozma, 2 Metagross, & a Lele....those MGs are down to 150; either a Belted Koko or Bulu (and keep energy) is enough, or even Vikavolt's will get you that 150. The attacks can come thru in either order...but there isnt much else you can do if your opponent gets the Max Potions when they need them. Against Gardy- you might catch a Gardy, Sylveon, & Lele puting them all withing reach of KOs with other ones.

Why no Acerola? Or do you feel if you Wilderness just once during the game it should keep you in it?

So, let me respond to the suggestions. First of all, thanks for your input!

@AFEX Yes, I thought Espeon Ex would be really great. In reality I feel like I'm not using the card enough, so I might indeed switch it for something better.

@Jacktropolis I absolute see what you mean, but my experiences are that I'm not gonna win against Gardevoir GX, because they will get OHKO's turn after turn, and I won't. So I think I have to do something to make it more likely to win. I think the combination of Xurkitree-GX and then Tapu Koko GX (picking up the Lightning energy for most likely a OHKO) could be interesting, as they need at least 1 turn to adapt to the ability of Xurkitree-GX, if they have attached a DCE on both (or all) of their Gardevoir. Those decks are typically running 9 Fairy energy, if they can just use those fairy energy because you can threat them with Xurkitree-GX they might struggle that 1 turn extra I need to swing the prize race, especially in combination with Mew and maybe Clefairy...

@semurphy444 Clefairy is interesting as well indeed, I have Mew now but Clefairy might OHKO Gardevoir in return, which Mew can't (with only Bulu's ans Lele's on the bench, with Clefairy on the bench Mew can!). I'll give it a try! Another Skyla might be interesting, but I think I'll test with a Mallow. I didn't include that in my list above as possible cards I'm thinking about, but in combination with Octillery it might be so great!

@jessalakasam I actually do run 2 copies of Po town. But I'm thinking to stop using Espeon Ex and my Po Town's..

@JaytheTsunami Mew has free retreat, a great attack (search a Pokemon for 1 energy) and can copy all the attacks of basic Pokemon. So it functions as an extra Bulu, but can also search for a Lele or a Vikavolt early game, and it's just 1 prize card. Or copy the attack of Clefairy :)

Given all your responses, I might make the following adjustments:
- Espeon Ex
- 2 Po town
+ Clefairy
+ Xurkitree-GX
+ Mallow (or Skyla)

And maybe:
- ? (1 Sycamore?)
+ Lusamine

What do you think of the suggestions I made (Xurkitree-GX, Pheromosa-GX, Parallel City, Lusamine or Mallow)? Any other advice?

Don't want to make you feel like you're dumb, or don't know your own deck, but Espeon EX is a card that needs to be used late game against evolution oriented decks, from my experience at least.

@semurphy444 I feel like basically all the decks I'm not having a great match-up against actually play special energy. However, against all the Garbodor variants it will be tricky to use Xurkitree-GX, since they might use Garbotoxin to shut off the ability and still attack me.

It's not about the numbers, it's just to confuse my opponent, stall a little while still taking 100 damage. 100 damage isn't really great but perfect for a 2HKO on basically everything, for example on Gardevoir if I have at least 1 turn a Choice Band.

Lele for Skyla to grab the belt doens't work, because I can't use Kukui anymore then. So I need to start with a free retreater and get Pheromosa-GX on my bench and see how many HP my opponent has, or start with it in active, and have a FFB in my hand as well. Then I could use Lele for Kukui, otherwise I don't. However, I saw in the articles of John Kettler that he also suggests Pheromosa-GX for late game, so it might be an interesting option.

I don't think Necrozma-GX is crazy, I actually already tested with both Necrozma-GX and Vikavolt-GX and then Espeon-EX. But it was too situational for me and I do like the GX attacks of Bulu or Koko better.

Same for Acerola, I had it in my deck and sure did use it, but I felt like other cards were better.

@AFEX Don't worry, I don't feel dumb. I think you can use it to stall in combination with Po Town as well, I actually saw that on livestream from Bremen Regionals. But like I said, I think I'll take Espeon Ex and Po Town out my deck for now.

Last edited:
Back