Tournament 2018 Road to Worlds

FrostBiter12

Upcoming Worlds Competitor!
So, this year is the year! I'm attempting to travel to Worlds now that the Championship Point cost is only 400. In this post I'll be going over recent tournaments and decks that I found to be interesting along with match-up information and new decks that arise as the year goes by. Let the games begin!

#1 League Challenge

Though League Challenges may not be as important, I played in one at the beginning of the year to get back in the swing of things. I chose to play Garbodor/Drampa GX due to most of my experience with that deck (I will be posting my list soon). Here are how the matches went (to forewarn everybody, there wasn't as many people there, so only three matches were played (not per person) and no top cut).

1-0-0*Water Box: I won the match, though I started out with a pretty horrible hand (saved by my opponents turn 1 N). It was a relatively short game as my opponent played item after item until there was nothing my opponent could do.

2-0-0*M Gardevoir EX/Xerneas Break: I won the match, though it was a close game (to let you know, M Gardevoir EX {the energy relative version} was a popular deck choice at the time). My opponent monitored their item count until they drew into a horrible hand late game and was forced to dump a bunch of items, clearing the path for my victory.

3-0-0*Tapu Bulu GX/Vikavolt: I won the match, drawing a very great hand beginning game along with going first. My opponent could get nothing set up as I had a turn two Drampa GX charged and I targeted any Grubbins that were benched.

So over all, I won the tournament with a 3-0-0 record, winning a bunch of packs (which I pulled nothing from) and 15 CP. The main reason for entering was the confidence boost, which I certainly received (and ended up helping me next tournament).

Championship Points: 15

#2 League Cup

This was the first necessary win for a tournament of the year, the points were on the line and if I didn't earn anything, it was a long distance to the nearest League Cup besides the two I had planned for. Once again, I went with my trusty Garbodor/Drampa GX deck, and with the recent Burning Shadows set legal for tournaments, I included Acerola, Po Town, Guzma, and Necrozma GX. There was a good amount of people, so there would be five rounds (one match each) and Top 4 cut.

1-0-0*Turbo Dark: I won, barely. I underestimated the speed of Turbo Dark and was a turn or two behind as the match move along. Fortunately, my opponent played a lot of items, so two Trashalanches and a Beserk won me the game.

1-1-0*Tapu Bulu/Vikavolt: I lost, prizing the Brigette and watching my opponent burn through their prizes until their was nothing I could do to come back. Even got the Field Blower, Guzma, Grass Energy my opponent needed to win the game. Oh well.

2-1-0*M Mewtwo EX: I won (obviously). I felt bad for the guy, as it was his first tournament and he chose what used to be the (arguably) best deck until Trashalanche came along. Sorry that had to happen.

3-1-0*Garbodor/Slyveon GX: I won, and learned a fun new way to play Trashalanche (even though I never tested it). My opponent told me (after a quick match of my great hand vs. a bad hand) the idea of the deck was to remove all of your opponents energy with Crushing Hammers, Enhanced Hammers, etc. and force them to play items. It was a fun concept, but unfortunately it did not draw well, hence the win for me.

4-1-0*Garbodor/Espeon GX: I won, but it was a very shaky setting. My opponent would be 5-0-0 along with another player if they won, guarantying Top cut. My opponent was willing to I.D with me, but there were four other 3-1-0 players (at the time). If I did I.D, I would not be guaranteed Top cut if other people I.Ded as well. I decided to play the match, and fortunately, I won and got my place into Top cut.

Top Cut: (best of three, two rounds)

2-1-0*Garbodor/Espeon GX: I won in a 1 win, 1 loss, 1 win, against the same guy who offered to I.D. All three matches were close, but in the two games that I won, Acerola came up big time. I returned my last GX on the board when my opponent had 2 prizes left, and I took two knockouts on Espeon GXs to win the set on the last game.

2-1-0*Volcanion EX: I won in the same sequence as the first Top cut round, with more crucial Acerola plays. My opponent was playing a standard (as in normal) version of Volcanion EX, and I took advantage of the Max Elixirs, Fighting Fury Belts, and any other item that he played. The last game came down to the wire, both of us with two prizes left. My only charged attacker at the time was a Tapu Lele GX, and my opponent had two damaged Volcanion EXs on the bench. He tried softening my Lele GX with a baby Volcanion (due to most of his energy in the discard along with his Starmie and 2 energy left in the prizes) and after two turns, I drew and Acerola to reset the damage on my Lele GX. This proved to be game as the next card was a Guzma for game, and if I hadn't done that, my opponent had game with a Float Stone and Fire Energy.

So, I won my first League cup of the year along with more packs (containing Marshadow GX and Tapu Bulu GX FA) and a cool Ho-oh placemat. My year was off to a great start; the next tournament happening a week later.

Championship Points: 65

#3 League Cup

Here is another opportunity to gain some points, prizes, etc. and move a little closer to Worlds. Once again, I chose to play Garbodor/Drampa GX but with one tech. I opted to play one Jolteon EX due to more Tapu Bulu GX/Vikavolt and Volcanion EX and it proved useful throughtout the tournament. A lot of people showed up, so there would be four rounds and Top 4 cut. Here are the matches.

1-0-0*Bye: Not much happened, but I fortunately got a preview of what everybody else included in their decks.

2-0-0*Xerneas Break/Garbodor: I had heard that someone was playing the Xerneas Break deck, but I didn't see who it was. When I sat down to play, I went first and my opponent started with a Tapu Lele GX. He mulligened once and I saw Fairy Energy among the cards and it didn't register that he was the one playing Xerneas. I assumed he was playing Gardevoir GX and immediately went for my Necrozma GX/Espeon EX combo. Even though it took me by surprise, I pulled through and took the win thanks to Po Town helping with a few damage counters.

2-1-0*Espeon GX/Garbodor: I lost to the same guy I won against in the last League Cup, missing energy and literally drawing nothing but a Trubbish for three turns. Somehow, I came within two prizes for the game, but my opponent was to far ahead and won before I had the chance.

3-1-0*Turbo Dark: I won, barely squeaking into Top Cut in third place. It was another fast paced, intense game that had me on the edge of my seat the whole match. Clutch hand after clutch hand for both of us continued until my opponent bricked on a N to two and I took the last prizes on a Darkrai GX.

Top Cut: (best of one, two rounds)

1-0-0*Volcanion EX: I won the match thanks to the decision to play Jolteon EX. Guzma after Guzma got rid of the Shell Traps my opponent used until finally, I was to far ahead for my opponent to come back.

0-1-0*Garbodor/Espeon GX: Unfortunately, my streak stops here as my opponent once again defeats me. I could not get anything set up due my opponent drawing the Brigette in his first hand (he went first) and not using more than two or three items the entire game. Oh well, you can't win them all.

So, second place at League Cup isn't bad, boosting my points to ninety and earning three packs (I pulled a FA Tapu Lele GX!). This will conclude my first season, ending with a sufficient 90 CP and with a bright look to the future. Tune in next season to learn more about how my Road to Worlds turns out. Thanks!

Championship Points: 90

*I'll update this thread as the year goes by. Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Congrats! And good luck!

Are you planning on pushing to play in multiple regionals as well, or just focusing on getting as many points as possible through League Cups and Challenges?

I'm considering this year to be my ramp-up year to see what I can make happen with League Challenge/Cups. I can't really travel this year, so just seeing where that gets me is where I'm starting. But I'm intrigued to see where you end up with it, as it's probably a good preview of what I'll be trying to do next year.

Congrats! And good luck!

Are you planning on pushing to play in multiple regionals as well, or just focusing on getting as many points as possible through League Cups and Challenges?

I'm considering this year to be my ramp-up year to see what I can make happen with League Challenge/Cups. I can't really travel this year, so just seeing where that gets me is where I'm starting. But I'm intrigued to see where you end up with it, as it's probably a good preview of what I'll be trying to do next year.

Thanks!
I will definitely be playing in a few Regionals when the date rolls around. My area doesn't have as many Leagues, so if I'm going to make Worlds, I'm going to need those points. Once those Regionals are over though, I'll post my results so everybody will know (hopefully with major success!).

Good luck to you next year, I'll be looking forward to hearing your Road to Worlds as well.

Edit: By the way, just updated my results for the last match of the #3 League Cup. Take a look to see out how the game went!

Last edited:
Wow! your at 90 already! im a senior so i went to a league challenge and i was only senior so guaranteed 1st.
Then i attended a league cup and got top 5... so close to that top four ...
So im at 32... good luck dude!

Wow! your at 90 already! im a senior so i went to a league challenge and i was only senior so guaranteed 1st.
Then i attended a league cup and got top 5... so close to that top four ...
So im at 32... good luck dude!

Hello fellow Senior! Keep fighting, 32 points isn't that bad for season one. If your playing in a Regional or two, I'm sure you could have a fighting chance. Good luck, I hope you clear that Top Cut qualification next time!

Thanks!

As a fellow senior, I'm giving tournaments a go for the first time this season, however I've not done amazing so far (1 league challenge, I was mixed in with the masters so didn't do that well, went 1-2-1 or something and 1 league cup, in which I came 6th) but hey, thought it might be worth a try at getting some prizes! I'll be attending London internationals soon (UK player), and if you want to get a huge points payout I'd reccomend a big tournament like that. Wish ya luck on your worlds journey though, you seem to be doing better than me anyway so hope you qualify :p

As a fellow senior, I'm giving tournaments a go for the first time this season, however I've not done amazing so far (1 league challenge, I was mixed in with the masters so didn't do that well, went 1-2-1 or something and 1 league cup, in which I came 6th) but hey, thought it might be worth a try at getting some prizes! I'll be attending London internationals soon (UK player), and if you want to get a huge points payout I'd reccomend a big tournament like that. Wish ya luck on your worlds journey though, you seem to be doing better than me anyway so hope you qualify :p

Great! I wish you luck in London! Unfortunately, I don't think I will be attending at the London Internationals, as I don't have the means to get there. Just a few local Regionals and League Cups will have to do I guess. Anyways, I hope any upcoming tournaments for you are successful (especially London) and I'm looking forward to seeing how you did.

Thanks and good luck!

will you be at San Jose?

Unfortunately, no as once again I do not have the means to get there. Also, I'm not very experienced in Expanded just yet so I don't think this would be the best time to enter (just started practicing with Night March and Expanded Greninja Break).

Unfortunately, no as once again I do not have the means to get there. Also, I'm not very experienced in Expanded just yet so I don't think this would be the best time to enter (just started practicing with Night March and Expanded Greninja Break).
ah, im playing Night march and i live in calli so this is very convenient for me.

ah, im playing Night march and i live in calli so this is very convenient for me.

Great! I wish you luck in San Jose!
I recently posted a deck list on my Night March variant if you are interested. It includes Zoroark GX as a backup attacker and draw support. Might be useful to you in the Regional.

League Cup #4

Alright, here is my first League Cup of season two and with a completely new perspective then in season one. With the release of Shining Legends and Crimson Invasion, new decks were bound to be abundant, especially with a successful showing at London Internationals. I couldn't wait to see how my Zoroark GX/Decidueye GX list (which was different then most) would stand against the rest of the current meta. Since there were only three other Seniors at the tournament, we got paired with the 39 Masters some of which have had major success at Worlds and Regionals. With a long day ahead of me at six rounds, I buckled up for the turbulent ride to which I hoped would bring victory.

Pokémon*21

Zorua*3 SHL
Zoroark GX*3 SHL
Zoroark *1 BKT
Rowlet*4 SUM
Dartrix*2 SUM
Decidueye GX*4 SUM
Tapu Lele GX*2 GRI
Tapu Koko*1 PR
Espeon EX*1 BKP

Trainer*29

Professor Sycamore*4 BKP
N*3 FCO
Guzma*2 BUS
Brigette*3 BKT
Mallow*1 GRI
Ultra Ball*4 SUM
Puzzle of Time*4 BKP
Rare Candy*3 SUM
Field Blower*1 GRI
Max Potion*2 GRI
Rescue Stretcher*1 GRI
Choice Band*3 GRI
Float Stone*1 BKT

Energy*7

Grass Energy*3 SUM
Double Colorless Energy*4 SUM

0-1-0*Greninja Break: Right off the bat, I got paired with Zoroark GX/Decidueye GXs worst match including ability lock and all sorts of disruption. The abominable frog would certainly wreak havoc with long, grueling turns of horrible draws and onslaughts of damage. Even with all of that, I still put up a could fight, setting up three Decidueye GXs and two Zoroark GXs by turn three while applying pressure early. Unfortunately, once the first Greninja hit the field the game came to a complete halt and the bad hands had commenced. I got down two one prize left and not a single Decidueye GX on board (a combination of K.O.s and Tapu Fini GX) when my opponent took their last prize for game.

1-1-0*Gardevoir GX: This is one of Zoroark GX/Decidueye GXs easiest matchups, so I took a sigh of relief when I figured out I was playing against one. My opponent prized both Eevee, so there wouldn't be a Sylveon GX that game and I immediately took advantage of that. Three Decidueye GXs and two Zoroark GXs later, I devolved my opponent's Gardevoir GXs and Galldes (with Espeon EX) and took prizes from the weakened Ralts and Kirlia, leaving my opponent with no way to retaliate.

1-2-0*Zoroark GX/Decidueye GX: This was the only game I was upset with due to a few misplays on my part. We both got out to a smooth start, but we each had a disadvantage. I took out my opponent's Zoruas (and there wouldn't be a Zoroark GX for him the whole game) and I lost my Decidueye GXs to devolution. This led to an all out devolution war where we each just stalled with Espeon EX. My opponent had run out of Rare Candys, so Dartrixs were his only option. At some point, time was called and it was my turn (turn 0). I happened to have double Puzzle of Time in my hand, and what I thought to be game (Zoroark BKT, Guzma on Espeon EX, Choice Band, and opponent's four benched Pokémon), but I was a little hasty in my actions and realized I was 10 damage off after I grabbed the necessary cards and used them. In hindsight, I realized I could've gone for the tie by devolving my opponent over and over again until turn 3, but I guess I didn't realize that. This is how you learn though!

2-2-0*Tapu Bulu GX: This game was straight forward match with back-and-forth K.O.s between us both. I took prizes with the chip damage provided by Decidueye GX and the K.O. with Riotous Beating and my opponent with a Choice Band and Nature's Judgement (Tapu Bulu GX's main move). There came a point where my opponent missed a few cards and fell behind in the prize race and it was a straight shot for the win (provided by Puzzle of Time and DCE).

3-2-0*Zoroark GX/Ninetales GX: This game was one of the most enjoyable (for me), and it was a combination of things occurred to create a dreamed of event. When setting up, I started with a Tapu Koko (PR) and began spreading damage by turn 2. My opponent could get any energy on the board fast enough and a few turns later, I devolved two Zoroark GX and two Ninetales GX that each had 60 damage on them for a four prize turn. I left my opponent with only a damaged Tapu Koko (PR) and Tapu Lele GX. It wasn't to long before I took my last prize for game.

4-2-0*Garbodor/Drampa GX: I didn't find out that anyone was playing Trashalanche at the tournament until after I entered in my list, and I was devastated when I did because I removed one of my Field Blower (down to one left). With only one Field Blower in deck, the chances of me getting it were really slim, but I luckily did. My opponent decided to attach most of his Float Stones and Choice Bands in one turn, so only a single Field Blower would do. It did, and with a few Zoroark (BKT) plays for the K.O. on an Espeon GX with 40 damage on it and Guzma for game on a Tapu Lele GX the next turn (after taking out a Drampa GX).

So, I won first place (in the Senior tournament) and earned 50 Championship Points along the way. Not to mention I recieved nine packs of CRI, pulling a Buzzwole GX (regular), Secret Rare Warp Energy, Type: Null, and a Reverse Holo Type: Null. Just waiting for the Silvally placemat! I've now got 140 CP and looking forward to another League Cup that is coming up soon (next week to be precise)! Wish me luck!

Championship Points: 140

I've been working with this deck since before London. I'm curious about your experiences in a couple of regards:

1) How often did Koko make a difference to you? For me, his impact has been underwhelming.
2) I think you might have focused on Decidueye too little in the Greninja matchup. Either that, or I've been crazy lucky. I think I've lost this matchup around 10% of the times I've played it
3) You said that Garde was one of your easiest matchups. Do you think that holds true of skilled Gardevoir players? Can you expand on your game plan a bit for this matchup? How do you find yourself dealing with Parallel and especially Parallel+Plea?

I've been working with this deck since before London. I'm curious about your experiences in a couple of regards:

1) How often did Koko make a difference to you? For me, his impact has been underwhelming.
2) I think you might have focused on Decidueye too little in the Greninja matchup. Either that, or I've been crazy lucky. I think I've lost this matchup around 10% of the times I've played it
3) You said that Garde was one of your easiest matchups. Do you think that holds true of skilled Gardevoir players? Can you expand on your game plan a bit for this matchup? How do you find yourself dealing with Parallel and especially Parallel+Plea?

1) Tapu Koko in my games hasn't been used very often, but I wouldn't play the deck without it. The times I have used it are usually the reason I win that game. For instance, decreasing all of my opponent's Pokémon HP level by 20 is a huge benefit in a deck that takes advantage of chip damage (like Zoroark GX/Decidueye GX). Opposing Zoroark GX's HP goes down to 190 (120 Riotous Beating+30 Choice Band+40 double Feather Arrow) and Tapu Lele GX goes down to 150 HP (120 Riotous Beating+30 Choice Band means that the K.O. doesn't require a Feather Arrow, giving you an option to take prizes late game). Starting with it isn't a liability since Tapu Koko has free retreat and using it as a Guzma pivot is always helpful. Not to mention the Espeon EX/Spread damage combo that creates a lot of good matchups (against Evolutions).

2) All of the games I've played against Greninja Break, my opponent had at least two Greninjas by turn three, turning into Greninja Break the next turn. In this particular game, I got possibly the best hand I could against Greninja Break with three Decidueye GXs by turn three as well and taking at least three prize cards by turn five. The trouble started after a N to three combined with an Enhanced Hammer on my DCE (attached to a charged Decidueye GX) and Shadow Stitching. The next turn I Hollow Hunt GX and retrieved the DCE and a few other cards, but was once again N to three into a Espeon EX, Dartrix, and some other card (nothing useful I assure you). I sat for a few turns with no way out due to ability lock, until I draw into a Sycamore, by which my opponent has taken four prizes (two Decidueye GX). I draw into a DCE (I had attached a Grass Energy earlier to the active Decidueye GX) and took the K.O onto the active Greninja Break. After taking another K.O next turn, my opponent hit me with their last N and an Enhanced Hammer once more while I draw into a Mallow. I use it on my turn and stall with the Decidueye GX for next turn when my opponent decides to Tapu Storm GX my last Decidueye GX into my deck. Most games turn out like this for me, so maybe I could try something else and see if that works (like maybe using Zoroark BKT as well). I assume that in your particular games, @JGB146, your opponent may not have had the best hand or didn't know how to play against Zoroark GX/Decidueye GX. Then again, maybe I have been unlucky in my matches, so I hope that my fortunes will turn for the better.

3) I believe (though some may disagree) that Gardevoir GX is the easiest matchup due to Zoroark GX (which I will most likely only set up one due to Gallade) and Decidueye GX having high HP, using a relatively small amount of energy, and access to Max Potion. I believe that even against experienced players, Gardevoir GX is still a matchup that can be won mainly due to your opponent's main strategy (energy acceleration and bench disruption) not being able to keep up with Zoroark GX/Decidueye GX's main strategy (devolution and spread damage or quick K.Os early game).The only thing that I'd be worried about, as you mentioned, is the Parallel City+Plea GX combo. My best counter to this would be Tapu Koko promo/devoltuion, by giving my opponent the option of removing my benched Pokémon (for at least two turns) or K.O. on the Tapu Koko promo (which happens to be applying damage to my opponent's bench to set up Espeon EX). By the time my opponent has the availability to remove my bench Pokémon, I have at least used one Flying Flip (and if they use Plea GX, it gives me another turn to add another 20 damage). My whole game plan revolves around Espeon EX, so setting up my Pokémon as fast as possible isn't my goal at the moment. If I go slow in my setup, the option of Plea GX+Parallel City is less powerful than on a powered bench like triple Decidueye GX, so I force my opponent to wait for late game in order to make that option more valuable. At that point it is already to late to do so since I will most likely have taken out the Sylveon GX (either with Zoroark GX or Espeon EX). If I take out Ralts early, my opponent has to spend more time and resources on rebuilding Gardevoir GX. Even if my opponent uses the Plea GX/Parallel City, all I have to do is take out the Ralts/Kirlia (since they spent resources on that combo) to give my self time to regroup and evolve.

Anyways, I hope this answers your questions, if you have any more just let me know. Thanks!

There was one line in there in particular that sums up our differences: you are playing it as a devolution deck with the option to take big KOs. I'm playing it as a big KO deck with the option to devolve.

I think both are equally valid.

For Greninja, I focus on getting Zoroark up first, since he is the quickest path to taking some cheap prizes. The key for me is continually limiting the number of frogs and number of shurikens they can pull off. That can mean mixing in Guzma plays to force them to manually retreat a non-ninja Pokemon, sometimes more than once.

There was one line in there in particular that sums up our differences: you are playing it as a devolution deck with the option to take big KOs. I'm playing it as a big KO deck with the option to devolve.

I think both are equally valid.

For Greninja, I focus on getting Zoroark up first, since he is the quickest path to taking some cheap prizes. The key for me is continually limiting the number of frogs and number of shurikens they can pull off. That can mean mixing in Guzma plays to force them to manually retreat a non-ninja Pokemon, sometimes more than once.

Yeah, when it comes to big, bulky evolutions like Metagross GX or Gardevoir GX, I'm usually heading straight for the Tapu Koko for Spread damage. I'd be interested in hearing how you deal with Gardevoir GX as well so I can look at it from your perspective.

As for Greninja, I'll try that, sounds feasible. I usually try to put everything I have into Decidueye GX, mainly early game, so when that attacker is lost there isn't much else I can do. I like the idea of spreading out my options though, so I'll test it out and see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestions! I'll probably be playing against a Greninja Break deck this week at a League Cup since a friend of mine plays it often. I'll let you know how it goes and if the new strategy works (or if my opponent {hopefully} bricks!).

It's kind of the same - I try to outpace them and spread things around with Decidueye, pending either a KO or a devolve opportunity. The threat of KO leads them to have to waste potions to get rid of like 40 damage, which actually makes the "broken" Garde the easier version. There's also a lot of bouncing around with zero energy Decidueye since it takes them A LOT to get the KO there. Mix in some Acerola shenanigans and you can often have enough time to spread around and achieve devolve just through the Owl Bounce shuffle.

My problem with Koko is that he is rarely the starter, which means by the time I can get him active he's only alive for one spread. Plus I'm having to spend either energy or a supporter to get him in the active. Just too much headache for not enough payoff.

It's kind of the same - I try to outpace them and spread things around with Decidueye, pending either a KO or a devolve opportunity. The threat of KO leads them to have to waste potions to get rid of like 40 damage, which actually makes the "broken" Garde the easier version. There's also a lot of bouncing around with zero energy Decidueye since it takes them A LOT to get the KO there. Mix in some Acerola shenanigans and you can often have enough time to spread around and achieve devolve just through the Owl Bounce shuffle.

My problem with Koko is that he is rarely the starter, which means by the time I can get him active he's only alive for one spread. Plus I'm having to spend either energy or a supporter to get him in the active. Just too much headache for not enough payoff.

I'd be interested in seeing what your deck list is (if you don't mind) so I can get an idea of where your coming from (Here is a discussion I started about the deck for further information if you don't already know of it). I do have to agree with what you said about Tapu Koko, I just tend to focus on getting those cards in these matchups (Gardevoir GX, Metagross Gx, etc) so if I have the available cards in hand (Float Stone, Mallow, etc.), I'll definitely go for it (or at least try to find them next turn). If I don't, I'll probably promote a Decidueye GX and do as you mentioned. Max Potion the damage or stall for a few turns while I snipe certain Pokémon (like Ralts). Maybe I should've put more emphasis on doing like you said in outpacing your opponent. Staying one step ahead of your opponent by controlling their actions (by threating a certain Pokémon or removing potential assets of your opponent) is what the deck does overall (in almost every other match). This deck (in my mind) is extremely strategically and really relies on the small individual plays (like were to place a Feather Arrow) more than other decks (which I like playing it in the first place).

Back