Discussion Gorgeist: The Next Garbodor?

DragonFang101

Funky China Man
I could absolutely be wrong about this becoming a viable deck, but I must say I was impressed once I found out what this thing did. At maximum, it could hit 250 damage, which is literally enough to knock out anything. I know Garbodor would make excellent use of this weakness and increase attack strength significantly, but since the average deck today is Supporter-card centered, this might not be so bad. Plus, it doesn't hit for weakness. At most, this card's glory may be short-lived, but I want your opinion on whether this becoming a new tournament deck strategy or not. This could do well in expanded with Sableye, Eco Arm and Dowsing Machine. In Standard, it could work with the new Oranguru. The best part? No abilities needed.

I know everyone is excited about the new Chaos Wheel Mismagius right now, but I think this could get better results since it isn't so dependent on your opponent drawing something stupid. Thanks for your feedback!
#45 Gorgeist – Psychic – HP120
Stage 1 – Evolves from Pumpkaboo

[P] Confuse Ray: Your opponent’s Active Pokemon is now Confused.

[C][C] Pumpkin Bomb: 10+ damage. Before doing damage, you may discard any number of Pokemon Tool cards from your Pokemon. This attack does 40 more damage for each card you discarded in this way.

Weakness: Darkness (x2)
Resistance: Fighting (-20)
Retreat: 3

Last edited:

DragonFang101

Funky China Man
I could absolutely be wrong about this becoming a viable deck, but I must say I was impressed once I found out what this thing did. At maximum, it could hit 250 damage, which is literally enough to knock out anything. I know Garbodor would make excellent use of this weakness and increase attack strength significantly, but since the average deck today is Supporter-card centered, this might not be so bad. Plus, it doesn't hit for weakness. At most, this card's glory may be short-lived, but I want your opinion on whether this becoming a new tournament deck strategy or not. This could do well in expanded with Sableye and Dowsing Machine. In Standard, it could work with the new Oranguru. The best part? No abilities needed.

I know everyone is excited about the new Chaos Wheel Mismagius right now, but I think this could get better results since it isn't so dependent on your opponent drawing something stupid. Thanks for your feedback!
#45 Gorgeist – Psychic – HP120
Stage 1 – Evolves from Pumpkaboo

[P] Confuse Ray: Your opponent’s Active Pokemon is now Confused.

[C][C] Pumpkin Bomb: 10+ damage. Before doing damage, you may discard any number of Pokemon Tool cards from your Pokemon. This attack does 40 more damage for each card you discarded in this way.

Weakness: Darkness (x2)
Resistance: Fighting (-20)
Retreat: 3
Dangit I misspelled Gourgeist :(

swaginator5000

Aspiring Trainer
i think its a really cool attack but the major problem will be consistently doing damage. maybe in expanded with eco arm and Sigilyph from plasma blast, but in standard there is no good way to recover tools fast enough. finding 4-5 new tools every turn sees way to unreasonable and then spending 2-3 turns with ornaguru to attack again. no thanks ill pass.

DragonFang101

Funky China Man
You're right about that. Hopefully there will be more ways to cycle through tool cards, but in the meantime I don't think this card is entirely meta-worthy yet. Thanks!

jix99

Imagine if Pichu was in splatoon :D
How do you get your tools out? Just run a crap ton of tools?

DragonFang101

Funky China Man
How do you get your tools out? Just run a crap ton of tools?
Perhaps more than average, but getting them out of your deck can be easier than getting them out of your discard pile. That's another thing Puzzle of Time could help with.

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Perhaps more than average, but getting them out of your deck can be easier than getting them out of your discard pile. That's another thing Puzzle of Time could help with.

Four Klefki tends to help a lot with the tool recovery issues in standard. Since Klefki is a Pokémon that can be attached as a tool card it can be retrieved with Rescue Stretcher. Include a total of 12-16 additional tool cards and the deck is ready to go.

HouchinsDJ

Aspiring Trainer
Garb should be even to favorable. You attack with a non EX/GX.

Except for the fact that Garb is a non-EX/GX too.

The Garb matchup is definitely not even, or favorable. You need to have multiple Tools on the field every turn just to do damage. That's way easier said than done.

DragonFang101

Funky China Man
Except for the fact that Garb is a non-EX/GX too.

The Garb matchup is definitely not even, or favorable. You need to have multiple Tools on the field every turn just to do damage. That's way easier said than done.
Agreed. I think for now this could make a decent fun deck but the way it's going right now, it's not going anywhere further than the league.

jix99

Agreed. I think for now this could make a decent fun deck but the way it's going right now, it's not going anywhere further than the league.
Agreed but that doesn't mean we can't test it to the limit's to see if it will be a at least see if it has potential as a rogue deck that's only purpose is to counter specific decks in the meta.

DragonFang101

Funky China Man
Agreed but that doesn't mean we can't test it to the limit's to see if it will be a at least see if it has potential as a rogue deck that's only purpose is to counter specific decks in the meta.
What decks do you think it could work against right now?

jix99

What decks do you think it could work against right now?
I dunno I feel like it's just gonna be one of those decks that can with any luck purely out-prize big GX decks but Garb is a big problem maybe it can beat volc with all the Ex/GX's? But really I don't have that much of an idea.

Elray

Expanded Player
I could see this becoming a somewhat viable alternative to Garbodor, especially against decks that don't use very many items.
Let's look at what kind of numbers this can OHKO:
One tool: (50)

Shining Mew
Trubbish
Garbodor (BKP)
Anything else with 50HP or less

Two tools: (90)

Common 60HP basics (Alolan Vulpix, Ralts, Zorua, etc.)
Garbodor (GRI)
Marshadow-GX
Necrozma-GX
Hoopa-EX
Mew-EX

Three tools: (130)

ANYTHING weak to psychic
Shining Genesect
Golisopod (non-GX)
Baby Volcanion/Yveltal/Rayquaza (common energy accelerators)
Greninja (non-BREAK)
Trevenant (non-BREAK)
Oranguru
Alolan Ninetales (non-GX)
Shaymin-EX (in Expanded, of course)

Four tools: (170)

ANY non-EX/GX
Tapu Lele GX
Tapu Koko GX
Glaceon/Jolteon-EX

Five tools: (210)

ANY basic EX/GX (except Wailord-EX in Expanded)
Most Stage 1 GX's (Alolan Ninetales GX, Salazzle-GX, etc.)

Six tools: (240)

Stage 1 GX's with Bodybuilding Dumbbells (except Gyarados-GX and Zoroark-GX)
Gardevoir-GX
Zoroark-GX
Decidueye-GX

Seven tools: (270)

EVERYTHING (except Gyarados-GX with Bodybuilding Dumbbells)