• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard COMING SOON! Solgaleo-GX Deck

Nick Tornell

Haha, art go brrrr
a few things, first can you add the translations so lazy people like myself don't have to go to the front page
2nd, would it not make more sense to drop a few of the backup attackers and just be as consistent as possible?
Yeah, I would drop the Ray and both the Koko for another SUM Solgaleo and two more Lele GX. Also the Kartana for a Lusamine.

DragonFang101

Funky China Man
It's cool mate just remember to specify
I thought it was obvious since the entire deck has an advantage over Alolan Ninetails GX. But let's look at Registeel.

It will OHKO an Alolan Vulpix with its first attack (more significant than you might think)
A Volcanion user needs to have Baby Volcanion charged by 2 EXs in order to knock it out, making Registeel a good attacker for beginning to mid-game
With some luck, a Choice Band will OHKO the GX Ninetails
Even though regular Solgaleo could be used in this deck, I think it takes away from the effectiveness of having a much more energy efficient Solgaleo GX (and man is it freakin awesome)

Just my opinion

Rodzillaj3

Aspiring Trainer
Even though regular Solgaleo could be used in this deck, I think it takes away from the effectiveness of having a much more energy efficient Solgaleo GX (and man is it freakin awesome)

I think this is what makes it exciting since there are going to be 3 useable Solgaleo versions now. Eager to see what people come up with. almost like when it was Garb and "blank" when Guardians Rising came out.

Memory

不安のない挑戦はない
Magearna EX is your counter to Espeon devolve and other nasty stuff. In fact it also stops Greninja’a shadow stitching (if you have metal energy attached to Magearna, then it itself is not affected, which means everything else with a metal energy is not affected.)

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
Magearna EX is your counter to Espeon devolve and other nasty stuff. In fact it also stops Greninja’a shadow stitching (if you have metal energy attached to Magearna, then it itself is not affected, which means everything else with a metal energy is not affected.)

Magearna EX was brought up in my thread as well. Going to just copy paste what I said about it:

"Plus, the turn that I Sunsteel Strike, all energy is discarded and it is no longer protected. Espeon EX can come out and snipe me at that point, and usually it's going to be a DCE sitting on the new Solgaleo GX, not metal energy, so that's 2 birds with 1 stone for Espeon EX."

Better than Magearna EX is Prominence GX. If your opponent is playing an Espeon EX, there's no reason for you to not anticipate it and use it to discourage spread damage. If your opponent plays Decidueye or Ninetales or Necrozma or Tapu Koko, then you absolutely should be expecting to see Espeon EX and save your GX attack for Prominence if they start spreading. Sol Burst GX should only be used if you're bricking on energy.

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023

I'll say it again if I have to.

Magearna EX is not a suitable fit for a deck that discards all energy upon attacking (Sunsteel Strike) and relies on DCE (Turbo Strike) for energy acceleration.

It makes sense in Metagross GX because you can Geotech system and spread your energy around. That's not how Solgaleo GX functions. Solgaleo GX, Rayquaza, and Registeel can all only accelerate energy onto 1 target.

But if you want to run it then be my guest.

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
I'll say it again if I have to.

Magearna EX is not a suitable fit for a deck that discards all energy upon attacking (Sunsteel Strike) and relies on DCE (Turbo Strike) for energy acceleration.

It makes sense in Metagross GX because you can Geotech system and spread your energy around. That's not how Solgaleo GX functions. Solgaleo GX, Rayquaza, and Registeel can all only accelerate energy onto 1 target.

But if you want to run it then be my guest.
If you see an Espeon coming attach a Metal energy :p

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
If you see an Espeon coming attach a Metal energy :p

Why would I attach a 3rd energy onto New Solgaleo GX that I will never use and never be able to put into my discard pile unless I let it get KO'd when I need it on SuMo Solgaleo GX?

If you attach the metal to New Solgaleo GX, Ultra Road to switch it to the active, then attack to accelerate metals onto SuMo Solgaleo GX, you have successfully protected your 2 Solgaleo GX from Espeon EX. In the best case scenario, you would have attached a metal instead of a DCE onto New Solgaleo GX so that your 2nd attach isn't a complete waste, but why you would be planning on letting your opponent Espeon EX you is beyond me.

Let's not forget that Espeon EX is played for getting devolve KOs, which means you will have at least 60 damage on you, 190 HP remaining, or 90 damage on you, 160 HP remaining, if they're gunning for Cosmoems, before someone considers using Espeon EX on you, especially if they know you haven't used all your candies. That means you're in KO range of whatever other attackers they might be running, like Alolan Ninetales GX.

In other words, by "solving" your Espeon EX problem, you waste energy and leave yourself in KO range. So you lose both ways.

Prominence GX heals all damage which removes the threat of both Espeon EX and getting cleaned up by another attacker at the same time. It's the better play 100% of the time.

Like I said, if you want to run it be my guest. I'd rather use my GX attack to heal spread damage and waste my opponent's time than waste my attach for turn. The GX attack also can't get shut down by Garbodor like Magearna can.

Last edited:

jix99

Imagine if Pichu was in splatoon :D
Why would I attach a 3rd energy onto New Solgaleo GX that I will never use and never be able to put into my discard pile unless I let it get KO'd when I need it on SuMo Solgaleo GX?

If you attach the metal to New Solgaleo GX, Ultra Road to switch it to the active, then attack to accelerate metals onto SuMo Solgaleo GX, you have successfully protected your 2 Solgaleo GX from Espeon EX. In the best case scenario, you would have attached a metal instead of a DCE onto New Solgaleo GX so that your 2nd attach isn't a complete waste, but why you would be planning on letting your opponent Espeon EX you is beyond me.

Let's not forget that Espeon EX is played for getting devolve KOs, which means you will have at least 60 damage on you, 190 HP remaining, or 90 damage on you, 160 HP remaining, if they're gunning for Cosmoems, before someone considers using Espeon EX on you, especially if they know you haven't used all your candies. That means you're in KO range of whatever other attackers they might be running, like Alolan Ninetales GX.

In other words, by "solving" your Espeon EX problem, you waste energy and leave yourself in KO range. So you lose both ways.

Prominence GX heals all damage which removes the threat of both Espeon EX and getting cleaned up by another attacker at the same time. It's the better play 100% of the time.

Like I said, if you want to run it be my guest. I'd rather use my GX attack to heal spread damage and waste my opponent's time than waste my attach for turn. The GX attack also can't get shut down by Garbodor like Magearna can.

Why not just run magearna as a tech if it helps in that situation or just GX if you need to?

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
Why not just run magearna as a tech if it helps in that situation or just GX if you need to?

I'm saying that Magearna EX is in every way a worse play than simply using Prominence GX. I would never want it in my deck, and I would never want it on my bench as 2 free prizes for my opponent.

As explained in the post you quoted, if you don't heal off the spread damage, you will get KO'd either by Espeon EX or by your opponent's main attacker even if you do have Magearna EX in play. They could literally KO your Magearna EX for 2 prizes then devolve with Espeon EX at a later time. No matter what circumstance I think of, nothing is better than just a global heal.

Use the resources you already have in your cards.

Memory

不安のない挑戦はない
Sometimes you have to Sol Burst.
Also never is a very strong word. You should probably try it out before rejecting it as something you would never use.

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
Sometimes you have to Sol Burst.
Also never is a very strong word. You should probably try it out before rejecting it as something you would never use.

To have that I would need people in my area to actually play Espeon EX.

My main issue with Magearna EX is that it's just like throwing in Giratina Promo into a deck. It's only good against 1 match up, and that match up may or may not be relevant in your area. In mine, it isn't. That's factor number 1.

Factor number 2 is that I've explained several very realistic ways that Espeon EX can simply work around Magearna EX in this list. At least Giratina Promo is a sure fire disabler for Greninja BREAK. There's nothing else you need but having it on the field, and Greninja BREAK can't answer it. Magearna EX is not an instant match up improvement in the same way that Giratina Promo is. You need energy on everything you want to protect, and your main attacker discards all of its energy, so if you want to protect it you simply can't attack with it.

I'm not going to repeat myself over and over. Use it if you want to. It does nothing in every other match up thats not Espeon EX and you're running a tech card when you already have Prominence GX as a solution. You have no business rushing energy immediately onto your Pokemon with Sol Burst GX against spread decks that run Espeon EX like Decidueye GX and Alolan Ninetales GX because there's absolutely no way they're KOing you before you have the 1 DCE you need to negate all of their poke damage. I don't even know why you would run a tech card against Alolan Ninetales GX/Espeon EX when your whole metal kit is an auto win match up against it anyway. And if you're up against a Necrozma, you just trade GX attacks and you come out on top.

Do whatever you want. Clearly I'm never going to convince anyone to not run it because I'm the only person who thinks it's a bad idea.

Mack Dabson

Ur mom likes my pokemon
Personally, I think consistency is a non issue.

Solgaleo GX is the only stage 2 deck with a non-Ultra Ball searchable middle evolution (Heavy Ball + Cosmoem). Plus, Heavy Ball also searches our current Solgaleo GX and the non-GX Solgaleo, making your offensive options a lot more stable. Heavy Ball is basically what Dive Ball was for Greninja decks, but Greninja is a "Stage 3" deck while Solgaleo is just a stage 2. Solgaleo GX is about as consistent as a Stage 2 deck can get in terms of evolution.

The Guzma + Espeon concern is a concern that every evolution deck has so I don't consider it to be a "flaw" exclusive to this deck. Also, Solgaleo GX is more Espeon proof than other decks with the global heal and max potion. I think Acerola is also a pretty good option if you are playing a 3 line of Cosmoem and set up your board appropriately to drop a Solgaleo on a Cosmoem. With the consistency that 3 Cosmoem + 2 to 3 Heavy Ball have to offer, you really are not going to struggle to evolve.

The worst part of Metagross GX/Solgaleo GX is that you need 2 Metagross GX and 1 Solgaleo GX set up to function as intended, and if you faced a fire deck that was never happening. With a pure Solgaleo GX build, you're only relying on one evolution chain (Brigette for 3 Nebbies), and you only need 1 of each GX set up to have your full system. If you're not facing fire, you can set up SuMo Solgaleo GX first and get an early huge OHKO, then the following turn set up New Solgaleo GX and get that energy loop going. It's a lot easier, a lot more consistent, and your energy loop doesn't get shut off by Garbotoxin like Metagross/Solgaleo did. If you're really good, you can Guzma up a Garbodor, OHKO it with the new Solgaleo GX while simultaneously charging 2 energy onto SuMo Solgaleo GX, then on your next turn, attach for turn, then Ultra Road and get a 230 OHKO on a GX.

I am currently working on a list to maximize consistency, even if I have to run excessive counts of some cards and then cut back later. This deck has so much power and defense that if you can simply guarantee a full Solgaleo set up by turn 3, it's basically GG. 230 base power to OHKO all GX's, and 120 base power to OHKO unprepared evolutions like opposing Cosmoems while accelerating energy onto your 230 base Solgaleo GX.

With 230 base power and 250 HP, Solgaleo GX is a battle of consistency.
if you run magearna you cant get cheesed with devolution, so theres really no way to beat this damn deck easily, also magearna doesn't just beat 1 deck, it beats an entire style of deck. Spread damage. Which is a very popular style of deck and the only easy way to beat solgaleo

jix99

Imagine if Pichu was in splatoon :D
if you run magearna you cant get cheesed with devolution, so theres really no way to beat this damn deck easily, also magearna doesn't just beat 1 deck, it beats an entire style of deck. Spread damage. Which is a very popular style of deck and the only easy way to beat solgaleo

It also helps with things like Sableye in expanded or other disruption decks.