News New Solgaleo-GX and Lunala-GX in November Starter Set!

I did see your Edit 2, but I'm talking about any match up, not just the Gardevoir match up.

Since this thread is about the new Solgaleo GX, I'm completely focused on trying to figure out its potential. I think putting in at least 1 of the OG Solgaleo GX was already implied. Even if you don't play a single steel energy, free switching every turn is just crazy. But hey, if there's no better options than just running steel for the crazy 230 base damage, then so be it.

You're right. There is nothing stopping Gardevoir from splashing in new Solgaleo GX, but there's not much point when it still doesn't solve the issue of needing 6 energy and a choice band or 7 energy to OHKO an opposing Solgaleo GX. This card IS going to see massive play simply. Not just for the Gardevoir counter, but because it's freaking unkillable with built in energy acceleration and fire protection. Running it with Gardevoir is just not the most efficient way to do things, or at least that's what I feel right now.

Fair enough. I'll admit my deck idea was too narrow, mostly because I figured if you already have the evolution line, why not play the hardest hitting thing available? But using it as utility in other decks could be fun too. Like Solgaleo GX/Venusaur/Shining Genesect. Top tier? No, but possibly fun.

where is this no weakness thing for solgaleo? It looks like it has x2 weakness to fire?

Nevermind. Just saw the ability. I want this card now. It looks pretty sweet. You could even run this with mega mewtwo to help out. Could be interesting.

where is this no weakness thing for solgaleo? It looks like it has x2 weakness to fire?
Its ability makes all of your pokemon (including itself) have no weakness. It has fire as a weakness so it can still take double damage under ability lock.

OH MY GOSH THESE ARE BOTH REALLY GOOD! I LOVE THEM!

The new Solgaleo-GX fixes almost every problem for Pure Solgaleo / Solgross decks. The ability is amazing, having no fire weakness whatsoever. No more using Altar of the Sunne for the Volcanion match-up in hopes that my opponent will not use a Field Blower or play a Scorched Earth, Volcanion doesn't lock abilities at all, so having one of these babies out makes the Volcanion match-up soooooo much better. And the good doesn't even stop there. 2 of any energy and not only can you use that attack easily next turn, unlike Metagross-GX and SUM Solgaleo-GX, It gets you 2 energy from the discard pile to charge up SUM Solgaleo again! As if GUR Rayquaza wasn't enough. It gets even better! The GX attack heals? IT HEALS! ALL POKEMON YOU HAVE! Is that even a Solgaleo thing to do? I don't care! That's great for healing Metagross and other Solgaleos when you don't have access to Max Potion or it would be one more item for GUR Garbodor. Sure, I've never really used Tapu Lele's GX attack to Heal Metagrosses. Perhaps I shouldn't make a big deal out of it, I just didn't expect Solgaleo of all things to heal pokemon. Fantastic card, fixes every problem for that kind of deck (I think you can make an argument for the Greninja MU since you can just 2HKO Greninja BREAKs easily, but it's not as great as what it does for the Volc MU)

I even like the new Lunala-GX! It fixes one of the main problems with any deck using the old lunala: Power. This new Lunala is straight up damage, 200 damage or 250 damage for all your knock-out needs. Doing only 120 before was kind of a pain, but now with this I think we can make something work here so long as we get both Lunalas out and keep our energies well and alive (Max Elixir / GUR Rayquaza seem to be good options so far). You can definitley get both of these lunalas out since they all evolve from the same thing, just run a 4-3-4 line with candies and an alolan vulpix (the new Salazzle maybe?) and you should be good to go. Also, one of the good things Lunala has is that it's weak to Dark, not Psychic. So long as you don't fight any Darkrai Decks you have that nice, clean 250 HP to work with, and even then you can use the SUM Lunala's GX attack to knock out a Darkrai-EX and get a good advantage. Overall, I'd still be shocked if Lunala ever became meta afterwards, but now with this Lunala there's definitley possibilities.

So of course Solgaleo is the one that gets all the praise from me. I'll probably try a 3-2-3 line now with 2 SUM Solgaleos and 1 of the new Solgaleo. I was so excited to look at these, this made my day. :)

Well... Say hello to the new M Manectric-EX of the format. I cannot stress how unbearably OP this card is: Since it covers weakness, has 250 HP, grants super easy acceleration with any energy type, and gives healing support, this card will see play in a toolbox state, much like M-Man was used.

No really: Mega Manectric was so versitile, people played it with many partners, such as Water and Grass Pokemon. Just think of all the basics it could potentially join forces with to make creative decks. Yes, Dual Solgaleo sounds fairly obvious, but the main question is if it's worth getting 2 different stage 2's out to complete the strategy - Or if a new big basic in the future could become more feasible.

I sense Devolution will be really popular after this card comes out...

Rip Garde. I'm not sad though. 250 w/o weakness is such a huge number to hit. Dual Solgaleo decks are gonna be insane.

Fair enough. I'll admit my deck idea was too narrow, mostly because I figured if you already have the evolution line, why not play the hardest hitting thing available? But using it as utility in other decks could be fun too. Like Solgaleo GX/Venusaur/Shining Genesect. Top tier? No, but possibly fun.

It's fine. I think we were just approaching the same concept from 2 different sides of the conversation. I think pretty competitively by nature so I try to just get straight to the point

My #1 instinct is that this deck needs water splashing (no pun intended) because Salazzle GX/Garbodor is a huge threat. Anything Fire + Garbodor, really, but mostly Salazzle GX for the time being. You need something that can survive a turn against fire while OHKOing it back.

Lapras GX looks like a pretty good pick. You can grab it out with Brigette, charge it up, and use OG Solgaleo GX with a float stone to get around its attack restriction, assuming you have a field blower. Choice Banded means you can hit 190 on Ho-Oh as well, and again, field blower if they are running fighting fury belt.

I'm just gonna go work on some deck lists.

i love how the premium form comes with a booster pack of each set. imagine what box this would be in english!! "Sun and Moon Trainer box" and for premium "Premium Sun and Moon Trainer Box." I have to get this!!!

That Solgaleo-GX might be TOO good...

If it makes it to the US, I hope it's not powerful enough to get banned in order to avoid a situation where it can power Solgaleo-GX SUM to not only put it one energy attachment from hand away from being able to Sunsteel strike w/ Choice Band, but also forcing people to try Garbotoxin, Shining Jirachi(devolution back to Cosmog) and/or autolosing to it. When one card forces the need for techs in order to have a chance against it, some think such cards are broken...

^ That Solgaleo... Please make it here, and prove the ban calls as illogical. :)

Last edited:
I feal like a lot of people aren't really realizing this card's true potential. This card has a lot of support capabilities yes, but when I see a big, bulky, stage two pokemon, I do not say support, but I think of it as being the main attacker. This thing would be an all out speed demon if you could get it out in play. It's just an all out tank that's basically impossible to OHKO with an attack that two shots everything but itself for a DCE. That's insane, and is totally worth being the main attacker. Sure, the old Solgaleo is a good fighter, but I would see it as being the tech, not this new one. I think maybe people have just gotten a little used to the Rayquaza and Solgaleo deck, saw this, and thought "Hey, this is just a way better Rayquaza." And sure, it is, but this card is also so much more. I'd say in a deck I'd use three of these and two of the old Solgaleo GX so you can also have free retreat cost and that bulky attack, but most of the time you'd be fighting with this new guy. If you did do that you could fully take advantage of all this card's got to offer. I think that's going to be what the deck that uses this card will look like and I also think this card is flat out one

I feal like a lot of people aren't really realizing this card's true potential. This card has a lot of support capabilities yes, but when I see a big, bulky, stage two pokemon, I do not say support, but I think of it as being the main attacker. This thing would be an all out speed demon if you could get it out in play. It's just an all out tank that's basically impossible to OHKO with an attack that two shots everything but itself for a DCE. That's insane, and is totally worth being the main attacker. Sure, the old Solgaleo is a good fighter, but I would see it as being the tech, not this new one. I think maybe people have just gotten a little used to the Rayquaza and Solgaleo deck, saw this, and thought "Hey, this is just a way better Rayquaza." And sure, it is, but this card is also so much more. I'd say in a deck I'd use three of these and two of the old Solgaleo GX so you can also have free retreat cost and that bulky attack, but most of the time you'd be fighting with this new guy. If you did do that you could fully take advantage of all this card's got to offer. I think that's going to be what the deck that uses this card will look like and I also think this card is flat out one

Unfortunately since they are both named "Solgaleo GX" you can't have 5 total between the 2. Personally I'm going to run a 2/2/1 line of Solgaleo GX (sumo)/Solgaleo GX (new)/Solgaleo (GRI)

Unfortunately since they are both named "Solgaleo GX" you can't have 5 total between the 2. Personally I'm going to run a 2/2/1 line of Solgaleo GX (sumo)/Solgaleo GX (new)/Solgaleo (GRI)

Oops, yeah, forgot about that :p I'd probably go with a 2/2 or a 3/1 then.

Well, good thing I saw Solgaleo was getting better and invested in a few! I should be ready to build the deck when It comes out! I honestly thought Registeel would make Solgaleo good so this is a nice surprise.

Volcanion/Fire decks are no longer a problem, but why does lunala have 230 hp instead of 250 like its previous gx and counterpart solgaleo.
oh.....I didn't even notice that, I thought it had 250 :p

230 HP is still fairly bulky though, I rest my case on what I said earlier.

Back