News Japan's SM4+ Set: 'GX Battle Boost!'

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies
Interesting... Given that this an expansion card for A-Exeggutor-GX, and Regular A-Marowak was in the last set...

*Hopes for Alolan Marowak-GX*

carrotfoot

Aspiring Trainer
I think I have more hope for this than most orher people. It has a method of searching the deck and evolving immediately, and the fairy weakness only matters so much due to Gardevoir's energy acceleration on to itself. The bigger problem is that 130 HP just isn't that great for what you're trying to do.

Sethy79

Aspiring Trainer
it's useful to set up a deck that uses it. I guess smarter people than me will find ways to make a deck like this work. I probably won't be using it though.

Nick Tornell

Haha, art go brrrr
I think I have more hope for this than most orher people. It has a method of searching the deck and evolving immediately, and the fairy weakness only matters so much due to Gardevoir's energy acceleration on to itself. The bigger problem is that 130 HP just isn't that great for what you're trying to do.
Well 100 HP is worse without a retreat cost of three because it can't be searched with level or heavy ball so it is a bit better than some of those pokemon.

Gameguard

Aspiring Trainer
Really not a bad card combo it with the gx n shining ven. Could be usefull 4 energy on it is 320 damage if u get 50% pn flips

Kietharr

Aspiring Trainer
I'd rather use this in expanded than standard honestly where you can use PLF eggs and battle compressors to get a full bench t1. I don't think Eggy-GX is even good compared to this card, maybe you'd run one of them but this thing, if you get 2 energy on it that's 4 flips with Venusaur. Victini is a bit of an investment but if you get 8 flips you have a very good chance of getting one set of 2 heads which is 160 damage, 190 with band.

It's jank of course due to needing a stage 1 and 2 in the same deck, but should be fun to play.

Craig Collier

Aspiring Trainer
I think this is really cool. I only wish this energy stacking strat was not weak to fairy, the attack type that currently is punishing high counts of energy

Baconcrisp3

Aspiring Trainer
I'm a pretty big fan of most of these alolan pokemon when they've got a free attack. This, Alolan Volpix, Marrowack, Alolan Ratacate, and even Alolan Ratata have fun/good free attacks. I'm exited for a possible Alolan Raichu GX and an Alolan Marrowack GX. If we get those two a Toocanon GX and a Magearna GX than I'll have all the Sun and Moon GX Pokemon I could want ;) (Sorry for any misspellings :p)

wobbuffet lover 1

Aspiring Trainer
card rating 2/5
rating it this because weak to gardy and its attacking damage is based on coin flips
first attack would be good if alolan executer gx was actually decent
anyways i would not use this card in a deck

Bella

Fairy Type Queen
People keep saying it's good with venusaur, but I don't think anyone realises just how good this is.

If exeggutor has 3 grass energy on it (minimum for attack) and venusaur is in play that is 6 coin flips. The probabilities are as follows

• 0 heads: 0 damage: 1.56%
  • 1 heads: 80 damage: 9.38%
  • 2 heads: 160 damage: 23.44%
  • 3 heads: 240 damage: 31.25%
  • 4 heads: 320 damage: 23.44%
  • 5 heads: 400 damage: 9.38%
  • 6 heads: 480 damage: 1.56%
Now we can basically combine all results above 3 heads, because with choice band 240 damage is doing 270 to stage2 gx's meaning all those results are one-shotting everything in the game. So the total percent to one-shot any pokemon is 65.63%. That's actually insane and then the 160(190) damage for 23.44% is not even a bad attack for 3 energy, 160 for 3 energy is a good attack that kills things like drampa and tauros with choice band. That means only ~11% of the time will this attack be bad. Then if you throw a victini on your bench you have 2 chances of that. 2 chances at getting at least 89% (66% if you're greedy).

And that's just assuming 3 energy. With 4 energy the chance to one shot goes up to 85.55%, 96% to do more than 160 damage. And with 5 energy it's a basically guaranteed one shot, though thats a bit too much energy to risk losing.

Now if you don't need choice band because you aren't fighting metagross, you can use wishful baton to pass the 3 energy to your next exeggutor so you don't even need to set up again. If you do need to set up fomantis/lurantis might be a good inclusion as well.

Obviously this deck sucks against garbotoxin so definitely 3, possibly 4 field blower is a must. Other than that if you can find an easy way to get venusaur up while accelerating energy to the exeggutors, this deck is going to be actually really good.

Last edited:

Kietharr

Aspiring Trainer
I think you underestimate the jank factor involved in running both a stage 2 and stage 1 line in the same deck. Even with the nice free tree swarm attack, unlike frogadier you're reliant on having Exeggutes on your bench already which means running items, in standard thick lines of ball cards so you can pull off an early mass evolve, in expanded battle compressors/PLF eggs. In standard it puts you at risk for Garbodor sweeps (garb attacks for one attachment and is a more consistent attacker while Egg needs 3 or 2 and a Venusaur and can possibly do 0 or 80 damage on its attacks), in expanded it makes you more vulnerable to item lock as well.

Don't get me wrong, if FOGP was still in play this, and many other Venusaur decks, would be fundamentally broken. But the combination of having to deal with draw consistency and flip consistency will make this a poor deck for competitive play. This deck would also be broken if Venusaur's ability worked on DDE/Counter Energy turned to grass, but it only works on basic grass energies.

I'd build/play this online any day of the week but brining it to a paper event would be a mistake.

Vitiel

Mush. Up!
I think you underestimate the jank factor involved in running both a stage 2 and stage 1 line in the same deck. Even with the nice free tree swarm attack, unlike frogadier you're reliant on having Exeggutes on your bench already which means running items, in standard thick lines of ball cards so you can pull off an early mass evolve, in expanded battle compressors/PLF eggs. In standard it puts you at risk for Garbodor sweeps (garb attacks for one attachment and is a more consistent attacker while Egg needs 3 or 2 and a Venusaur and can possibly do 0 or 80 damage on its attacks), in expanded it makes you more vulnerable to item lock as well.

Don't get me wrong, if FOGP was still in play this, and many other Venusaur decks, would be fundamentally broken. But the combination of having to deal with draw consistency and flip consistency will make this a poor deck for competitive play. This deck would also be broken if Venusaur's ability worked on DDE/Counter Energy turned to grass, but it only works on basic grass energies.

I'd build/play this online any day of the week but brining it to a paper event would be a mistake.
Brigette eases the burden a lot; you really only need 1 Venusaur on the bench so you'd probably just want to grab one Bulbasaur and 2 Eggs.