• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Turtonator GX/Salazzle GX Deck Help

Xetheriel

Aspiring Trainer
So I have this so far:

Pokemon:
4 x Salandit (GRI)
2 x Salazzle (GRI)
3 x Salazzle GX (BUS)
3 x Turtonator GX (GRI)
2 x Tapu Lele GX (GRI)

Trainers:
4 x Ultra Ball
2 x Nest Ball
2 x Rescue Stretcher
3 x Choice Band
1 x Field Blower
2 x Switch
1 x Wishful Baton
2 x Devolution Spray
3 x Kiawe
2 x Lysandre
1 x Skyla
1 x Hala
1 x Acerola
4 x Professor Sycamore
1 x Olivia
2 x Guzma
1 x Altar of the Sunne
1 x Scorched Earth

Energy:
4 x Burning Energy
8 x Fire Energy

Strategy:
Get a Turtonator GX out fast and furious and charged up with a Kiawe. Ultraballs and Nest balls will help move this along, and Tapu Lele should do her thing to get a Kiawe. Ideally, get a choice band on him too, and a Salandit on the bench. Nail down a 1HKO with 190 on a GX/EX or 160 without, and drop a Salazzle for a bonus 30 damage (care of Hot Poison) when the turn ends (220/190 total, and at least a bonus 10, but maybe 30 at the end of opponent's turn).

The nice thing about Burning Energy is you can hit it with Kiawe, and it makes Turtonator so much more powerful.

Salazzle GX can come in late game to nail down some cheep, serious damage with Diabolical Claws, and run some disruption with Queen's Haze GX.

Lysandre, Guzma, Field Blower, and Switch for board control, a range of supporters for card draw. A Wishful Baton as a creative way to discourage attacks and/or recover from attacks, and some rescue stretchers for recovery. Devolution sprays let me recur Salazzle and her Hot Poison, or switch up to a Salazzle GX in a pinch. Turtonator GX's Nitro Tank GX can recharge a game that's behind on state, and a single Altar of the Sunne to deal with those pesky water attackers.

Since I'm not crazy-experienced in deck building, I'm curious if anyone sees anything big that stands out as a mistake, or anything blatent that I've missed?

Strategy:
Get a Turtonator GX out fast and furious and charged up with a Kiawe. Ultraballs and Nest balls will help move this along, and Tapu Lele should do her thing to get a Kiawe. Ideally, get a choice band on him too, and a Salandit on the bench. Nail down a 1HKO with 190 on a GX/EX or 160 without, and drop a Salazzle for a bonus 30 damage (care of Hot Poison) when the turn ends (220/190 total, and at least a bonus 10, but maybe 30 at the end of opponent's turn).

The nice thing about Burning Energy is you can hit it with Kiawe, and it makes Turtonator so much more powerful.
Hmm, actually, you can't target Burning Energy with Kiawe; it's only 'Fire' energy while attached to a Pokemon. Otherwise it would be a lot better as a card, of course.

Interested in Salazzle as tech, but I haven't tried it personally. Actually have a combo in mind that he's needed for.
How is Devolution Spray going? Seems a bit clunky.

Salazzle GX can come in late game to nail down some cheep, serious damage with Diabolical Claws, and run some disruption with Queen's Haze GX.

Lysandre, Guzma, Field Blower, and Switch for board control, a range of supporters for card draw. A Wishful Baton as a creative way to discourage attacks and/or recover from attacks, and some rescue stretchers for recovery. Devolution sprays let me recur Salazzle and her Hot Poison, or switch up to a Salazzle GX in a pinch. Turtonator GX's Nitro Tank GX can recharge a game that's behind on state, and a single Altar of the Sunne to deal with those pesky water attackers.

Since I'm not crazy-experienced in deck building, I'm curious if anyone sees anything big that stands out as a mistake, or anything blatant that I've missed?
Hmm, only a couple things, apart from Burning Energy which is going to affect your overall energy usage. Fortunately it's not too bad considering you can equip 2 Burning Energy manually before Turtonator would be below 3 energy anyway.

I should also mention that Lysandre is no longer Standrard legal. 3 Guzma should be enough, though you can use 4 if your really want to.

Otherwise your main issue is the lack of the most staple Supporter; ie N. You should have 4 N in any competitive deck; it's just as important as Sycamore, I would even say more-so as it facilitates comebacks as well as setup. Considering the number of one-of Supporters you just have to pick a couple you like most. I would ditch Hala for starters, considering your planning to use Queen's Haze late game.
I realise your planning to take an early lead, but you should never assume, and even if you're both low on Prizes it can be better to harm your opponent's hand than maintain your own.

One thing you might consider is running a copy of Oranguru; your bench space doesn't seem too precious in this deck and playing out your hand is generally desirable so it's worth a try...

Last edited:
Hmm, actually, you can't target Burning Energy with Kiawe; it's only 'Fire' energy while attached to a Pokemon. Otherwise it would be a lot better as a card, of course.

Interesting. No problem though. Doesn't really hurt the strategy.

Interested in Salazzle as tech, but I haven't tried it personally. Actually have a combo in mind that he's needed for.
How is Devolution Spray going? Seems a bit clunky.

To make Salazzle work with Devolution Spray, you basically have to play Salazzle, then bounce her with the spray right away so you can do it again the following turn if required. May be clunky, but I'm gonna try it out.

Hmm, only a couple things, apart from Burning Energy which is going to affect your overall energy usage. Fortunately it's not too bad considering you can equip 2 Burning Energy manually before Turtonator would be below 3 energy anyway.

I should also mention that Lysandre is no longer Standrard legal. 3 Guzma should be enough, though you can use 4 if your really want to.

Good catch. That's just an oops on my part. 3 Guzma's is probably enough.

Otherwise your main issue is the lack of the most staple Supporter; ie N. You should have 4 N in any competitive deck; it's just as important as Sycamore, I would even say more-so as it facilitates comebacks as well as setup. Considering the number of one-of Supporters you just have to pick a couple you like most. I would ditch Hala for starters, considering your planning to use Queen's Haze late game.
I realise your planning to take an early lead, but you should never assume, and even if you're both low on Prizes it can be better to harm your opponent's hand than maintain your own.

I honestly waffled on this. Yeah, Hala can go. I can probably make room.

One thing you might consider is running a copy of Oranguru; your bench space doesn't seem too precious in this deck and playing out your hand is generally desirable so it's worth a try...

That's a good thought. Thanks a bunch for the help. You suggestions are really good.

Back