Discussion Beating Metagross with Gardevoir??

Levibenjamin

Aspiring Trainer
So it's obvious that you're at a huge disadvantage with this matchup. I lose to Metagross 9 times out of 10 when I play it. I've been trying to come up with techs that could help against Metagross and also possibly other matchups without clogging up the consistency. Has anyone thought of running one copy of Espeon EX? If nothing else it can buy you a few turns, or help get rid of beldums and metangs when you aren't able to take OHKOs.

sometimes decks just get hard countered. If you're playing up against a good player they'll just hit you with metang and choice band and knock you out

So it's obvious that you're at a huge disadvantage with this matchup. I lose to Metagross 9 times out of 10 when I play it. I've been trying to come up with techs that could help against Metagross and also possibly other matchups without clogging up the consistency. Has anyone thought of running one copy of Espeon EX? If nothing else it can buy you a few turns, or help get rid of beldums and metangs when you aren't able to take OHKOs.

Set up quicker than they do while disrupting their Beacons with N. That's really all you can do. The advantage you have over them is that you only need one Gardevoir to start taking KOs on T2. They need a minimum of two Metagross as well as two Energy in the discard pile in order to attack T2. You need six Energy to OHKO a Metagross with three Energy on it, which can be difficult to do.

Espeon-EX is a bad idea. In order for it to be effective, you need to do at least 90 damage. That means you had to have swung on the Metagross with Gardevoir. And if you swung on a Metagross, it is probably going to OHKO you. So you then bring out Espeon and devolve the Metagross you hit. It's an uneven prize trade. You also run the risk of getting Espeon-EX OHKOed by a banded Metagross next turn.

Some Gardevoir players have started teching in Turtonator-GX. The Shell Trap attack damage is negligible; that's not why you're running it. The idea is that by hitting you through the trap, they will have 80 damage on them going into your turn, circumventing Max Potion shenanigans and making it much easier for Gardevoir to secure a KO (you only need three Energy instead of six). So you could try that.

sometimes decks just get hard countered. If you're playing up against a good player they'll just hit you with metang and choice band and knock you out

That's a bad idea, not the least reason of which is that you fall 10 damage short of a KO, even with a Choice Band. Further, the deck revolves around tanking hits with Metagross's huge HP. Gardevoir has to commit a ton of resources just to take a single OHKO, while you can recycle your Energy easily and take the revenge KO. Metang can do none of these things. You can use Dhelmise to nick that last bit of damage, but the deck struggles enough with Bench space issues.

The only time you should use Metang is against baby Alolan Ninetales.

Set up quicker than they do while disrupting their Beacons with N. That's really all you can do. The advantage you have over them is that you only need one Gardevoir to start taking KOs on T2. They need a minimum of two Metagross as well as two Energy in the discard pile in order to attack T2. You need six Energy to OHKO a Metagross with three Energy on it, which can be difficult to do.

Espeon-EX is a bad idea. In order for it to be effective, you need to do at least 90 damage. That means you had to have swung on the Metagross with Gardevoir. And if you swung on a Metagross, it is probably going to OHKO you. So you then bring out Espeon and devolve the Metagross you hit. It's an uneven prize trade. You also run the risk of getting Espeon-EX OHKOed by a banded Metagross next turn.

Some Gardevoir players have started teching in Turtonator-GX. The Shell Trap attack damage is negligible; that's not why you're running it. The idea is that by hitting you through the trap, they will have 80 damage on them going into your turn, circumventing Max Potion shenanigans and making it much easier for Gardevoir to secure a KO (you only need three Energy instead of six). So you could try that.

That's a bad idea, not the least reason of which is that you fall 10 damage short of a KO, even with a Choice Band. Further, the deck revolves around tanking hits with Metagross's huge HP. Gardevoir has to commit a ton of resources just to take a single OHKO, while you can recycle your Energy easily and take the revenge KO. Metang can do none of these things. You can use Dhelmise to nick that last bit of damage, but the deck struggles enough with Bench space issues.

The only time you should use Metang is against baby Alolan Ninetales.
my bad, I remembered wrong I thought metang did 90, Yeah that was dumb of me to say. I haven't played with metagross in like 2 months. When I played with metagross a lot i played a build to outlast my opponent, and I didnt play kukui or delmise, like how you were saying.

A strat that had been going around is to include a 1-1 sylveon, or more, line and a parallel city to pull off a plea gx removing 2 metagross from play and giving gardevoir a much better chance to win.

A strat that had been going around is to include a 1-1 sylveon, or more, line and a parallel city to pull off a plea gx removing 2 metagross from play and giving gardevoir a much better chance to win.

I've been seeing some more of this as well. Some decks just have auto losses and unfortunately for Gardy Metagross is pretty much one of these. However, if you are able to combo an N/ Plea GX play to wipe put a couple of Metagross you have a bit of a chance. It's even more effective when they have used rare candy.

Zoroark GX gives you some play against Metagross. aim to start swinging with zoroark turn 2, guzma metang and other stuff with energy if possible.
It’s like 40-60 if you play 2-2 Zoroark GX, unless they are playing the solgaleo version in which case you still lose pretty badly.
And yes, this matchup was unplayable before Zoroark GX.

Back