Discussion Best Expanded Electric Engine?

Terrafoil

Aspiring Trainer
I've been working on a Mega Ampharos + Electrode + Koko Deck and started looking to include Shining Legends Raikou once it comes out, but started wondering if I should shift the whole deck away from Electrode to include Eelectrik with Battle Compressor's and just focus the deck more on working with my discard. Then I thought about Vikavolt, and how his Grass searching could fill in the colorless costs for M-Amphy, which reminded me of Breakpoint Magnezone's ability to place as many energy as I want alongside Clemont from Generations to throw down 4 energy in one turn.

I am very happy Electric gets as many great options for energy acceleration as it does, but it also makes it really hard to decide which is the most optimal. So the question here is which Eco-friendly electric based engine is the most worthwhile for high cost attackers like Ampharos EX, Rayquaza EX, and Vikavolt GX?

Xeynid

Aspiring Trainer
In expanded, Eels are easily the best.

Generally it gets used with Raikou. Shining Rayquaza from SHL might be a good addition.

Cooper

Aspiring Trainer
In expanded, Eels are easily the best.

Generally it gets used with Raikou. Shining Rayquaza from SHL might be a good addition.
Yes definitely and now you can add cards like ather conservation area(which helps a load) and also counter energy will be amazing because you can get 2 rainbow energies for 1 card. I would even give vikavolt and rails a try, using electrode as well. You would need to run 4 Rield Blower as Garbodor Garbotoxin will be a big disruption as this deck relies on abilities. Tapu Koko GX is a good addition. And I would use maybe 3 counter energy as Tapu Koko will not be able to take use of it. But this is a really good deck that you should use. As for the tool card I would use Choice Band x3

Cooper

Aspiring Trainer
We need a better counter for Garbodor, maybe the new mismagius will do the trick with its chaos wheel. No use in this deck though, but if you face a Garbodor you are going to be in some big trouble if you don't keep on using field blower

Kietharr

Aspiring Trainer
If you're playing expanded there is no reason whatsoever to play Electrode, Eelektrik is one of the best energy accelerators in the game. Raikou/Eels has always been my expanded go-to and is probably the current best electric deck out there, Ampharos is going to be less consistent but the Eel engine is good enough to make it work.

As far as other shining legends cards go, honestly Raichu/Eels will be an incredible expanded deck that will make most other electric decks feel obsolete. Raikou SHL isn't even that necessary honestly. Could even play it as a Sky Field deck (eels decks tend to have issues with bench clog anyways from my experience) and include some Raichu XY to use in one prize games.

Firewyn

Aspiring Trainer
You could also use Magnezone from Breakthrough, and Clemont from Generations... Clemont hasn't been played, but its an option

Terrafoil

Aspiring Trainer
In my case specifically I'm taking my old Mega Ampharos deck and converting it to expanded seeing he got the boot from Standard. It was originally M-Amphy + Electrode and extremely risky since losing an Amphy meant falling three prizes behind (and getting Ace Trainers at inconvenient times), but incredibly satisfying the rare occasion I could get the Mega up running turn two. Since I started this thread I've had the chance to try Amphy + Magnezone a bit and it's alright but can be slow. More often than not my terrible luck leads me to taking several turns getting a Magnezone set up, and by that time I've already got three energy down anyway. Rare Candies and Magneton were also getting in the way of my draws, often before I could even get a Magnemite down to start with. I was going to move on to Vikavolt, but I've got a feeling I'm going to run into the same problems now that Forest Of is banned. I was chewing on using Sylveon GX or Alola Rats to help grab the Stage 2 and a Candy but I'm not sure if the extra steps would counteract the turns I would be saving, especially when I've got Eels with Battle Compactor I can turn to.

I was going to try Clemont with Magnezone but just couldn't make space for him, especially when Fisherman had a similar effect after going through so many Sycamore just trying to set up Magnezone in the first place.

As for Garb, Magnezone and Electrode both have instant abilities, so you only have to activate them once or twice the entire battle instead of relying on the effect always being active. So I can VS Seek Hex Maniac to buy myself a turn and set up in just a turn. This will be admittedly less simple if I throw Eels in there tho.

Last edited:

Wechselbalg

brb
Eelektrik=love. I'm playing a Raikou/Raichu/Sky Field deck in Expanded with the Eelektrik/Compressor engine and it probaby has the best winrate out of all my decks. Eelektrik is crazy good for acceleratiom. I'm not even sure if SHL Raichu will be neccesary. Sure, it's a lot more bulkier and doesn't necessarily need Sky Field to dish out a huge amount of damage, but it'll put the deck at a huge disadvantage when playing against fighting type decks, (or anything that can hit hard and quick) as those will easily KO Raichu GX too and then you will be giving up 2 prizes instead of 1. I will most definitely want to give it a try though.

Last edited: