Resource Forum Games Resources & General Discussion

There's about a week remaining to submit your mafia applications! Don't miss out!

I justed started my mafia app. I need to work on quite a few roles still, but can manage it. Would it still be feasible for me to submit an app and finish the roles by the time I may have to host?

I justed started my mafia app. I need to work on quite a few roles still, but can manage it. Would it still be feasible for me to submit an app and finish the roles by the time I may have to host?
That would be absolutely fine! I believe that a number of hosts tend to do this anyway, as roles often depend on the number of players, which have changed significantly between apps and the actual game in the past.

That would be absolutely fine! I believe that a number of hosts tend to do this anyway, as roles often depend on the number of players, which have changed significantly between apps and the actual game in the past.
Yep.I always do this, where I submit my app and then work on roles until the apps are revealed. It's absolutely fine!

Whelp, the deadline passed not long ago, although just in case there were a few hosts that lost track of the deadline, we'll be accepting last-minute entries for 24 hours! We'll then get those results out shortly after that. ^.^

Aaaand time's up! Thanks to all those who submitted applications for this round of mafia. We will be announcing the results in the near future.

The Results Are In!
landscape-1479400184-giphy.gif

First off, thanks those who submitted an application to host a mafia game in the next round! Without further ado:

Congratulations goes to quakingpunch, who will be hosting Mafia XLV!

You may notice that we've announced only one game, instead of the typical two. This is because we didn't feel that the other submissions were fully ready to fill that second slot just yet. As such, we are still looking for a game to follow quaking's, and so mafia applications will remain open until further notice. Message your application via Conversation PM to Vracken and myself as per normal, and if we deem it ready, you'll fill that next slot!

Happy hosting/role-creating/lynching (!)~

Just a reminder that mafia applications are still open, and there is currently no hosts lined up for after Mafia XLV, which has just hit a MYLO. If you're keen host, be sure to submit your application to @Vracken and myself!

Good News Everyone, a host has been Lynched found for Mafia Mafia XLV

Congratulations to
Lorde

Once again, only one game is lined up, this is due to few submissions, and so mafia applications will remain open until further notice. Message your application via Conversation PM to bbninjas and myself as per normal, and if we deem it ready, you'll fill that next slot!

Best of Luck all ^w^

An update on the Mafia Applications:

Quite a few of you have been expressing interest regarding mafia hosting over the past few days, and so we're going to make this a proper round of applications! You know, with a set deadline and stuff. We will be selecting enough hosts so that two games will be waiting in the queue. You've got two weeks to submit your app to Vracken and myself, just in time for Christmas. ^.^

On another note, since no one wants to wait weeks for the next game, I'm glad to announce that @GM DracLord will be the Mafia XLVII host! Sign ups have already been posted, so don't miss out!

Many of you have noticed that our mafia community size has been shrinking over the past couple of years. This is predominantly because when people naturally leave, not many new players to replace them. Even when they do, they generally don't stick around, not really posting, and often get modkilled or subbed out within a day or two. Why's that? I suspect these issues might play their part:

- they have no incentive to play, and forget about the game
- new players don't actually realise what they're getting into
- the learning curve is too steep, and they feel that there is only one way to play

There might be a way to change that. The basic premise is to run a larger-sized mafia game, a "Great PokeBeach Mafia" (better name plz :<), with a large pool of PTCG Online prizes, to draw in new players who might really enjoy mafia, but wouldn't have thought to play otherwise. We'd ideally advertise the game via other forums. There would be one or two hosts (I'd certainly volunteer), plus a few "advisors" of whom new players can ask questions, and reduce that learning curve. The rest of the veterans will then be able to play alongside the new players.

The prize pool will be distributed to the winning team, and we can also distribute special awards to the MVPs and the like. I've got a ton of boosters and codes for PTCGO that I can donate, and if we do go ahead with this idea, anyone else keen to donate online boosters or other goodies would be welcome.

So, who's keen?

Many of you have noticed that our mafia community size has been shrinking over the past couple of years. This is predominantly because when people naturally leave, not many new players to replace them. Even when they do, they generally don't stick around, not really posting, and often get modkilled or subbed out within a day or two. Why's that? I suspect these issues might play their part:

- the learning curve is too steep, and they feel that there is only one way to play

There might be a way to change that. The basic premise is to run a larger-sized mafia game, a "Great PokeBeach Mafia" (better name plz :<), with a large pool of PTCG Online prizes, to draw in new players who might really enjoy mafia, but wouldn't have thought to play otherwise. We'd ideally advertise the game via other forums. There would be one or two hosts (I'd certainly volunteer), plus a few "advisors" of whom new players can ask questions, and reduce that learning curve. The rest of the veterans will then be able to play alongside the new players.

The prize pool will be distributed to the winning team, and we can also distribute special awards to the MVPs and the like. I've got a ton of boosters and codes for PTCGO that I can donate, and if we do go ahead with this idea, anyone else keen to donate online boosters or other goodies would be welcome.

So, who's keen?

I love this idea, and ideally, I would be able to actually commit more time to a larger game like this, depending on how far ahead we would be notified of when it would happen. I assume this would be more of a once a year type thing, or several times a year?

I would also be up for hosting if you don't get anyone else, as well as pitching in some codes. ^w^

I could not agree more with this, if we introduce this side of the forums and roll out prizes to possibly motivate new players from the TCG sections of the forums to join the games, we'd definitely be able to revitalize the Mafia scene here, since odds are at least a few of them will enjoy the game enough to play without winning anything from it. I fully support this idea, and would be completely willing to advise players if possible.

So, who's keen?
I definitely have some codes lying around as prizes, I wouldn't mind giving them to the winners at all not like I was gonna use them anyways. It may also help if we add consolation prizes so that even if you lose you can still walk away with some smaller winnings. It'll draw in some other people who may not think it's worth it to lose and get nothing.

I'm all for this idea, maybe it could be a big game, maybe even 'Mafia 50' because why not?

So, who's keen?
That idea sounds great, BB!
A couple of questions for you:
  1. What type of setup would this game be? Mostly vanilla, everybody has a special role but only one ability, or full on role madness?
  2. Would we have a set player count in advance or would we balance it to whatever we get?
  3. How exactly would this advisor system work? I almost feel like it would be best to format it like MS does, with advisors literally playing in the game, where they can show how to play themself while at the same time being able to post in a color of text to show they're posting as an advisor and not a biased player.
I don't have much need for PTCGO prizes, so I'd be down to host/balance it and/or help advise people but not care about the winnings.

I'm all for this idea, maybe it could be a big game, maybe even 'Mafia 50' because why not?
I would think that if we could get it up in such a short turnaround, New Years would probably be a perfect time for this sort of thing, especially considering Mafia 50 won't come until around April.

Last edited:
I love this idea, and ideally, I would be able to actually commit more time to a larger game like this, depending on how far ahead we would be notified of when it would happen. I assume this would be more of a once a year type thing, or several times a year?
I'm thinking it could happen after Drac's game, actually. We would do it about once a year, if it is successful, although it'd more be something that we'd employ whenever the community needs a bit of rejuvenating.

I definitely have some codes lying around as prizes, I wouldn't mind giving them to the winners at all not like I was gonna use them anyways. It may also help if we add consolation prizes so that even if you lose you can still walk away with some smaller winnings. It'll draw in some other people who may not think it's worth it to lose and get nothing.
Consolation prizes would depend on the amount of goodies we end up receiving. Booster packs can't be portioned either, meaning that we either have enough for everyone, or not enough for everyone. I'd like to give out at least 3 packs to each player of the winning team so that the prizes are significant, too.

I'm conservatively expecting 25 or 30, at the most, since we have absolutely no idea how this will be received by the TCGers. Anywhere between 25 and 40 is a fun game size, in my opinion, but after that it can get a bit messy.
Oh, you mean we can run it as the 50th Mafia game. Although that'd be convenient, I'd ideally like to do this sooner rather than later, since we're still struggling to hit 12 people in our current games. n.n'

1. What type of setup would this game be? Mostly vanilla, everybody has a special role but only one ability, or full on role madness.
  2. Would we have a set player count in advance or would we balance it to whatever we get?
  3. How exactly would this advisor system work? I almost feel like it would be best to format it like MS does, with advisors literally playing in the game, where they can show how to play themself while at the same time being able to post in a color of text to show they're posting as an advisor and not a biased player.
1. It would definitely be role madness, as for a lot of people, even mostly vanilla can be pretty boring. It'd be high end role madness too, perhaps with some creative effects, but nothing too absurd or complicated of course.
2. We'd have to balance the game to whatever number of players we get, and perhaps even design a 20-person setup, 30-person setup and 45-person setup to use depending on the numbers. Either way, I'd probably not set a player cap - if we get 33, we play with 33. We could also possibly post in the TCG forums as to obtain some expression of interest to estimate the number of people.
3. I was initially thinking that advisors would just be on the sidelines, although possibly with access to everyone's PMs. That'd be so people can ask questions like "how can I use my role?" as well as questions like "should I vote this player?". I could actually see a player's status as an "advisor" influencing whether or not someone wants to kill them or keep them around, which is not ideal, and then there's the question of what happens when all the advisers die.

I don't have much need for PTCGO prizes, so I'd be down to host/balance it and/or help advise people but not care about the winnings.
Yeah, that's fine. We'd have the option for people to opt out of prizes if they so wish, of course.

I'm not a fan of this idea. Bribing people to play mafia here is pretty silly. They will literally just take our prizes and leave - if they decide that it's worth their time at all. Keep in mind that PB mafia is nothing like mafia found on Epic Mafia, Mafiascum, or even Smogon.

You'd also have to find people who play Pokemon as well as mafia. Who's going to join a game where the prizes are something you will never use?

I think if you're going to gather up codes and packs for prizes, that's well and good, but awarding them as mafia prizes seems wrong.

I’ve seen this model, when used in moderation, become very effective. We’re looking for TCG players (and that’s most members) who would be up to trying something new. Packs are nothing more than an incentive, that makes participating not a waste of time, if it turns out the player doesn’t like it. The objective is to have some fun, and if there are some players who continue to play simply because they enjoyed the game, then we’ve been effective.

I’m not sure if you missed this, although I get the impression that you might have; we would only run a game like this once every year or so, and it would be advertised only within the PokeBeach forums.

Announcement time, and not too late hopefully

Two sets of wolves hosts have revealed themselves

Game 1 - @PMJ starting some time soon
Game 2 - @Jadethepokemontrainer and @TheSceptileMaster

Congratulations you three, we look forward to your games ^w^
As per usual, mafia applications will be closed until the end of the next game (PMJ's), though working on yours during this time period is a good idea.

Back