News Brock and Misty Set to Appear in Sun & Moon Anime!

Cottonmouth25

Flying-type Enthusiast
Holy crap, they actually did it. I may not be what you might call nostalgic about the original series, and I've been kind of salty about all the love Kanto's been getting since XY, but this announcement still invokes some kind of joy in me. Two episodes of original Kanto goodness is just the right amount. I'm glad they're not pushing it too far.

SceptileSquad

Leaf Blade!
Yay! Megas become more sensual. Does it mean in the TCG, we will see Mega GXs?
Anyways, the animation still looks weird

I don't think they can make Megas into GX's, as they can't be a mega evolution and hold a Z-Crystal at the same time (Plus that would mean a Mega Sceptile-GX would be a stage 3)

What they COULD do (and even though it's kinda unlikely it's what I hope they do) is bring back EX's just for mega evolutions, if they bring back the concept into the games (which I hope they do, cause they kinda dropped it for sun and moon even though they could have built on it a lot more).

Weedle_McHairybug

Aspiring Trainer
I've waited a long time for her to return especially after the crappy send-off they gave her back in AG and especially GCYL. Now, not only is she returning, possibly even permanently, but the blurb about her character not mentioning her status as the Cerulean Gym Leader seems to imply that she's actually back to pursuing her Water Pokémon Master goal. A very good thing if you ask me, and I certainly hope that is indeed true especially after her crappy treatment she's gotten quite some time back. Let's hope she's permanently back, or at the very least, she isn't shoved back into Cerulean Gym when she ultimately ends up leaving.

So far as the art, I personally prefer the old style designs over SM, but it doesn't look half bad on her. Besides, even if SM's design makes her look ugly, she's at least wearing her old school outfit, and as long as she actually pursues her goal of Water Pokémon Master, even her having a bad design won't be an issue for me.

For Brock, eh, wasn't a big fan of him especially after Johto, but as long as he proves himself very useful via his Pokémon Doctor training, not to mention puts a lid on his Quagmire-esque traits, I'll welcome him back into the fold all the same.

As far as the dub voice actors, I can understand why they'd probably keep the TCPi dub actors instead of bringing back their 4Kids VAs, but on the other hand, we can't rule out that they'll just leave out the 4Kids VAs, especially Misty and Rachel Lillis. Don't forget, Giovanni got his old 4Kids VA, Ed Paul, to voice him up to the present day from DP080 onward, after the Voice Actor switch. Misty might get something similar. I don't expect Brock to get his 4Kids VA, though. But then again, Giovanni did get his old VA back, and if he could do it, so can Brock.

Last edited:

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
pls next can we have Serena and Greninja
Why would they be returning so soon? They may have a 2 episode arc like Misty and Brock are but I highly doubt it.
Also if ash is going to Kanto maybe he will also pop over to Hoeen (bringing Serena back) to drum up some fan service when gen 3 hits Pokemon Go too?
There's no reason for him to go to Hoenn. A) this is a "class trip", and B) this is a nostalgia grab for all the 90s kids.
Wow, this is exciting! Yes!!! Maybe their appearance can save this anime, and in Season 2, they can delight us more if they use the same Kalos animation and have in a different outfit For Ash. And Serena and Ash-Greninja can return. But, Overall, Brock and Misty were the ones I wanted back! This is Awesome!
Never going to happen. Animation is usually consistent for at least a generation. Sure they may improve on it a bit but the style will stay. Also, Serena and Ash-Greninja have had their time. Its time to make way for other characters. There's no need for them to return, and the show doesn't need to be "saved". It's doing quite well, actually.
I've waited a long time for her to return especially after the crappy send-off they gave her back in AG and especially GCYL. Now, not only is she returning, possibly even permanently, but the blurb about her character not mentioning her status as the Cerulean Gym Leader seems to imply that she's actually back to pursuing her Water Pokémon Master goal. A very good thing if you ask me, and I certainly hope that is indeed true especially after her crappy treatment she's gotten quite some time back. Let's hope she's permanently back, or at the very least, she isn't shoved back into Cerulean Gym when she ultimately ends up leaving.
No, this has been said. It's for two episodes only. If she actually is pursuing being a water-type master, she'll likely stay in Kanto and continue to run her gym.

Weedle_McHairybug

Aspiring Trainer
Why would they be returning so soon? They may have a 2 episode arc like Misty and Brock are but I highly doubt it.

First of all, two episodes is literally only the barest minimum we've got. Could easily be more for all we know, even if it is only a temporary return. Besides, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have outright teased Misty and Brock's return the way they did if it was JUST for two episodes, considering they didn't do that for May in DP, Dawn in Best Wishes, heck, even Misty herself for both her appearances in AG, not to mention her and Brock's technical reappearance via flashback in BW. Second of all, I've heard talk about how Serena's VA is due for an appearance, so at the very least, the possibility is there. Now, I won't say it's permanent, either, even though it's what I hope, since, again, we don't know anything on that front.

There's no reason for him to go to Hoenn. A) this is a "class trip", and B) this is a nostalgia grab for all the 90s kids.

To be fair, they can easily use the "class trip" excuse to go to Hoenn if they so desired in the future. And as far as Kanto, you do remember that AG had barely even focused on the old Kanto elements when they revisited the region for Battle Frontier, right? This is definitely unusual especially for this series.

Never going to happen. Animation is usually consistent for at least a generation. Sure they may improve on it a bit but the style will stay. Also, Serena and Ash-Greninja have had their time. Its time to make way for other characters. There's no need for them to return, and the show doesn't need to be "saved". It's doing quite well, actually.

Agreed with the style staying, at least until Generation VIII (and probably also with Serena and Ash-Greninja not coming back), but I disagree with your indication that the show is doing quite well. For starters, it's doing extremely poorly in terms of ratings. Even XY managed to do better than SM is doing right now, let alone all the prior sagas. If it was truly doing well, it would at least be at the level of DP and AG, if not Kanto itself.

No, this has been said. It's for two episodes only. If she actually is pursuing being a water-type master, she'll likely stay in Kanto and continue to run her gym.

Actually, we don't know if it's for two episodes. It could just as easily be more for all we know, whether it's a temporary reappearance or even a full-fledged permanent return. Just because they only announced two episodes doesn't mean they are only going to appear in those two episodes (besides, this level of teasing definitely never happened with the prior character cameos, so I'm definitely sure from the teasing that their reappearance is definitely going to be far more than just a two-episode appearance.). And for the record, after what AG did to the Gym leaders by making them as grossly incompetent as Team Rocket for the most part, Misty would DEFINITELY not get very far into her goal if she continued to run the gym, and if anything, she'd stagnate, regress in skill. In order for her to qualify for the rank, she'd need to reach Lorelei/Prima's level at the very least. Besides, she was forced into the gym by her sisters, and the last time we saw her, which was that Cleffa Mount Moon episode, she literally had to be forced by Daisy to return to the gym via the latter threatening to start handing out badges if she didn't return. I don't think most people would appreciate a person being outright forced to leave the cast like Misty was. Say what you will about Brock, or Gary, or Serena, and how their goals were changed, at least they actually chose to change their goals of their own free will and weren't forced to do so by an outside party. Heck, even Clemont at least actually chose of his own free will to return to the gym. This guy explains it far better than I can: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=336960

Besides, if we are to claim that running a gym is what makes one a master, whether a Pokémon Master or even just a type Master, why didn't Ash just form a gym, or even accept the Battle Frontier Brain position when he had the chance?

In any case, Misty definitely deserves to actually go back to her Water Pokémon Master goal, NOT by running the gym, I should add, especially when she's the only one of the main characters who was literally forced out of the show and forced to do something she didn't even want or, based on her AG appearances, even particularly like. She deserves far better than being at the gym. Think of it this way: How would you react if, just as May was about to go to Johto, she gets an emergency call from her parents requesting that she put off what she was doing and return to Petalburg Gym ASAP due to a family emergency and then making her Gym Leader in her parents stead. Would you have been even remotely happy about how that was done? It's the same deal with Misty. If Misty actually chose completely of her own free will from no outside influences that she wanted to return to the gym, that's one thing, but that wasn't even her choice to make, her sisters forced her into that situation.

Last edited:

Weedle_McHairybug

Aspiring Trainer
BTW, since that announcement via Televi-Kun, they also managed to tease two screencaps of Misty, one of which had her with Ash and Brock in a forest, and the other featuring Misty with hearts in the background and doing a v for victory pose, and they also managed to tease a storyboard sequence involving Brock, Misty, and a Caterpie. Oh, and there was also a tweet from Mayumi Iizuka regarding Misty, and a reply tweet from none other than Junichi Masuada, and another tweet with artwork of Misty and Brock from animator Maasaki Iwane. All of this DEFINITELY suggests that their reappearance, especially Misty's, is going to be FAR more than just your run of the mill guest appearance that has occurred with Misty, May, and Dawn in AG, DP, and BW, respectively, and if anything is probably closer to that of Charizard's reappearance in BW, possibly being even bigger than that. Certainly, this suggests that their reappearance is going to last a LOT more than just those two episodes. Oh, and they also managed to publish concept art, though I'm pretty sure that bit has happened before.

Darn shame that it's airing on Disney XD right now (I don't have cable, so I can't actually watch it on TV, and even if I did, thanks to some stupidity Disney's recently engaged in, I'm boycotting Disney until they either cut it out regarding their actions, or at the very least until Bob Iger actually leaves in 2020 durng those elections, so I'm pretty much forced to miss it), because I for one am very eager to see Misty's full return.

Last edited:

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
So the entire class goes to Kanto? I probably should've assumed that originally, but now that it's confirmed that'll be interesting to see. Definitely going to watch these episodes.

Cottonmouth25

Flying-type Enthusiast
It's cool that the whole Alola gang is going to Kanto, rather than just Ash! That just further piques my interest in this particular arc because we'll get to see all the new characters meeting Ash's oldest companions for the first time.

(Kinda wondering how Lana and Misty will get along...)

Kirby

Gott ist tot
I haven't heard Yuuji Ueda in a while, so I'm definitely watching these episodes c: