Discussion Have You Ever Beaten an Opponent on Your First Turn?

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
I've T1 donked a sylveon gx with my volcanion deck. Was playing the explosive sky field variant, hit multiple max elixers, steam ups, and a float stone.

Otaku

The wise fool?
So that makes me wonder, have you ever 'Turn 1'd' someone?

A better question might be "How long have you been playing at a competitive level?" ;)

Winning the first turn you can attack is rare, but in the "Each booster pack comes with a Rare or better card." not "Having all pieces of 'Exodia' in your opening hand when playing Yu-Gi-Oh." and that is only using the current first turn rules, which went into effect shortly before the release of XY. The original first turn rules that were in effect until (just before) the release of EX: Ruby & Sapphire had no restrictions on the player going first, and this was also the case from just before the release of Black & White until just before the release of XY. In these formats, aggressive decks tried to score a OHKO.

Last edited:

MaeglinC

Aspiring Trainer
Many times with Latios Donk deck online. Also have a couple times on my first turn (turn 2 of game) with Tapu Koko GX and hitting on max elixirs. Always fun, although I've been on receiving end of quick losses plenty too! :)

Vulpixy

Just your friendly neighborhood Vulpix
I did back in the day once. started with this Sableye and my opponent started with a 40 HP 'mon. This was back when first player could attack on their first turn, too.

sableye48.jpg

Otaku

The wise fool?
I did back in the day once. started with this Sableye and my opponent started with a 40 HP 'mon. This was back when first player could attack on their first turn, too.

sableye48.jpg

For the record, that Sableye is one of the main reasons there was an emergency rotation when the BW-era first turn rules went into effect. It was the star of Sabledonk decks. A deck that, even though you can no longer abuse Overconfident, might still have a chance of winning first turn in Unlimited due to the rest of the combo. ^^'

JDA

Aspiring Trainer
Certainly, just before my really long break actually. I took the break because I absolutely think that it's the worst way to develop a card game with strategies like that. Now I am a huge fan of Machamp and many I knew locally knew I was but it really broke my heart when it happend just a little too often. Even in certain cases where it wasn't a turn 1 win the way the game developed in some cases basically had the same result anyway.

Love Rare Candy, love the art on this guy and think the attack would be wonderful as a GX attack but otherwise don't think it's a healthy development for any community.

DP7_EN_20.png

Cheers!

IronCow Tom

Aspiring Trainer
I was playing against my friend. He went first and put out Rockruff and attached an energy to it. No bench.
I put down Lugia EX and attached a DCE. Aero Ball was a OHKO. I won.

sw_bionic

Aspiring Trainer
yes, A lot of times with the new crabominable from bs, using lele for wally going second hehehe ;)

Asrialys

Aspiring Trainer
I've done it with Volcanion-EX once against a lone Tauros-GX.

Every now and then, I run a Latios-EX deck with BKT Empoleon, Mew, Miltank, and now Marshadow-GX. That's always fun :p

CESit

Aspiring Trainer
It used to happen more frequently for sure! As mentioned earlier decidueye gx is the most likely in current pre-rotation standard. Laserdonk on an exeggcute was a thing - for the brief time where shiftry donk was an option in standard, it warped the meta by forcing everyone to either play it, hope to dodge it, or play counters and hope to start it online on ptcgo. Thankfully no major tourneys happened in that format

Gible06

Aspiring Trainer
I had a turn one win in an expanded side event at a regionals.
My opponent goes first plays shaymin as only basic and attaches energy to it, plays fighting fury belt and passes.
I then go and battle compress black smith and 2 energy, vs seeker for black smith and play it to attach 2 energy to volcanion ex, attach energy for turn and steam up for win.

I also had a turn one in the main event but no attacks were made, my first turn I trainers' mailed for N but opponent thought I played and shuffled his hand and I got a turn one win (doesn't really count as a turn one win).

Digital Dragon

Thinks Chandelure is the cutest Pokémon
I've come close with my Tapu Koko GX deck. If you manually attach for the turn and hit two max elixers, you can then play down the Tapu Koko GX and KO the opponents Pokemon with Sky High Claws, if you use Aero Trail to transfer all the energy.

WinterShorts

Aspiring Trainer
I remember a little more than a year ago in my first league challenge when I had Latios-EX, a muscle band, and a psychic energy to OHKO a poor Skrelp.

Ah, good times.

Marowhacker

@MarowhackerTCG on twitter
I did this at league once:
Opponent starts Froakie, can't find any other basics turn 1.
I start Wimpod, top-deck Kukui, attach 1 grass and ram for the KO.

momand

Aspiring Trainer
opponent starts with froakie
i have toad active, attach dce, laser, and virbank for the win

Cooper

Aspiring Trainer
If I go first with my Decidueye GX deck, I can end the game on my first attacking turn, assuming my opponent doesn't have anything benched. I suppose if I got lucky I could take out two low HP Pokemon, although I never have.

If you got really lucky, I guess you could properly turn 1 someone with Decidueye's feather arrow ability. You'd probably need to build three or four on turn one though, which would require a silly amount of luck lol
Yeah I do that too turbo donk!! Use pinsir and decidueye, bye bye :)