• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard New to the game, need a budget deck post rotation.

ForeverRanger91

Aspiring Trainer
I guess you might say I am not all that new since I understand the rules and whatnot but I would like to start playing competitively but don't have a deck. I am a budget player but my budget is around 100-110 bucks. Can someone maybe provide a couple of lists and an understanding on how they work. Complex strategies are OK too.

For around $100 dollars there are a couple of decks you can build:

1. Greninja BREAK
Greninja BREAK will likely cost anywhere from $70-90 so it definitely qualifies as a budget deck. That being said, it is "complex" and not easy to play as it requires a lot of knowledge of the current meta. Honestly, if you want a good explanation of how the deck runs, feel free to just look up a YouTube video of a deck profile and watch it. It's difficult to write up the entire basis of how a deck works, especially one with so many functions. In terms of how competitive it actually is, it's a tier 2 deck, but has no chance of ever being a tier 1 deck moving forward. That being said, I play Greninja and can tell you it's a lot of fun to play and incredibly satisfying to win with!

2. Quad Sylveon
This is an incredibly cheap deck, that could cost you anywhere from $30-50 as the most expensive card is like $4. This one isn't too complex, but I'm just gonna put it out there, it's a disruption deck. I have versed it a couple times, and found it incredibly annoying, so prepare yourself for your opponents to rage on occasion! This deck has a lot of variants in terms of what trainers to use, but it will be either a tier 2 or tier 3 deck with very little potential to see tier 1. Just like Greninja if you want to learn how the deck runs I would recommend finding a deck profile on YouTube and watching it.

The reason these decks are cheap is because they don't run a Pokémon named Tapu Lele-GX. Tapu Lele is considered one of those staples in most decks, so as a result the cards price has skyrocketed to $50 each. Greninja and Sylveon don't run Lele for a couple of reasons, so naturally the total price of each deck is low. If your willing to pay closer to $160 almost every deck in the meta becomes available to buy. Good luck finding a deck to play!

http://www.pokegoldfish.com/metagame/standard#paper
This is a link to a website I love to use in order to find meta decks and the according deck lists that have won at a competitive level.

I agree with trainer josh as those are probably the 2 most budget freindly competitve decks right now. I feel quad sylveon will be cemented firmly as a tier 2 once rotation hits due to vs seeker and hex maniac going and quad sylveon has 4 card combo to potentially leave them top decking or with 1 card ion hand by turn 2 ,if you start with 1 peice in hand or your opponenet played a stadium themselves. Though we differ on the complexity of the deck. This deck, along with greninja, you have to be familiar with the meta b/c you need to know what 3 cards to grab and what to anticipate their next move will be so you can best counter it.

Thanks. I was looking at the Lapras GX http://www.pokegoldfish.com/archetype/standard-lapras#paper and was wondering what I would replace the cards that will be rotating with.
Just wanted to give you my honest opinion, and that would be don't run Lapras for the upcoming format. Lapras has seen a major decrease in popularity and success as the current season came to a close, and that's a trend I predict will continue as we move forward. The majority of people predict Lapras as a tier 3 deck next rotation and some even went as far as to say it isn't even on the tier list.

The only major cards Lapras loses are Rough Seas and VS Seeker, but those are definitely painful ones. Other than that, the specific deck list you chose will also lose Hex Maniac which isn't too big a deal in my opinion.

All in all, I know I didn't make a great case, but trust me from first hand experience, Lapras isn't a competitive deck moving forward. That being said, you are of course entitled to your own opinions and decisions.:D

To me, Tapu Koko GX has a lot of potential, and has been printed so many times the card is really cheap. Also, consider running Random Reciever instead of Tapu Lele GX.

While I want competitive I am also not against having a fun deck for my first one. As for building a deck around the Thunder Chicken, I wouldn't even know where to start.

While I want competitive I am also not against having a fun deck for my first one. As for building a deck around the Thunder Chicken, I wouldn't even know where to start.
Sorry, after using Tapioca in the prerelease, I am in love with the aero trail ability. It works great with Acerola. Just put a new Koko on the bench and Aero Trail it into to active, and Acerola the old Koko.

I am thinking about looking into Volcanion. Would Pasimian/Mew be a decent deck after rotation with all the dark types and Marshadow roaming around?

Last edited:
Back