Contest PokéBeach Create-A-Card: August 2017 - Light & Heavy - Text-Based Results Up!

WastedSkyPirate

My entry is the OG roadblock...

tumblr_mhtyz9jbR91r0dbsno1_500.gif

WSlKC8R.png

Artwork by jkarlin
Blank by @aschefield101

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
I've been rather busier this month than usual, and I'm heading back to school in a few days––which'll only increase the busyness. Dx So, that said, I've got something somewhat tamer than the Steelix from last month, but still trying something new for me––Welkin!

Welkin was a set of 80 or so cards created by @Zygarde, a user who left us some months back to pursue other frontiers. [Link to Zygarde's old thread, including Welkin] It was notable for using solely custom blanks crafted by Zygarde himself, all of which are absolutely stunning––and also weren't released to the public until Zygarde's farewell, having only seen fringe uses with special permission from Zygarde, such as @Blui's entry to CaC October 2014.

Now, though, Welkin blanks are free use (they can be found here for those interested). If it wasn't obvious, I really love these blanks, haha. So, without further ado, my entry––

Wib2YLn.png

My notes for this one aren't really extensive enough to put in a spoiler, so I'll just leave 'em here––
  • My first thought for this round was Cosmoem, which has quickly become one of my favorite Gen VII Pokémon thanks to a single aspect of its design––it is one of the heaviest Pokémon, whilst also being one of the smallest in terms of size. With Pokédex sizes so infrequently making any kind of logical sense, it made me really happy to see Game Freak reference collapsed stars this way. However, the more I thought about it, the less I was feeling creative about super heavy Pokémon. Thus, I set my sights elsewhere, to the other end of the spectrum ...
  • Cutiefly! I was just looking for lightweight Pokémon in general when I stumbled across a beautiful 3D render of Cutiefly that I felt pretty confident would make a good card. Arrancon's work turns out really well on cards, imo. :)
  • The idea for the attack came first, based on this thing that happened during Dungeons & Dragonites––there was a big rock in our way, and @Yog (who was roleplaying a Cutiefly) decided that the best course of action was to lift it and set it down somewhere else. Naturally, this was a little hard for Yog-fly.
  • The power's name comes from the famous Fainting Spell, which was used to great effect around 2010 and the beginning of 2011. Note that such a power does not activate if the Pokémon is Knocked Out by another famous power of the time––Flash Bite.
  • Wording is a little odd for Welkin, as with any custom format––it's safe to check it against DPPt-era cards, though. :)
Credits:
Thanks so much to everyone who made this possible! ^.^

Celever

Wheeeee~
I'm going to have to drop again. Afraid this theme isn't really interesting me, and I haven't felt inspired enough to actually make something.

Draskk

Blast From The Past
My entry:

Basic Celesteela HP180[M]

Ability Glass Cannon
Once this Pokémon has attacked two times, it is Knocked Out.

[M][M]C][C] Shards
Put a number of damage counters on this Pokémon up to the number of this Pokémon's remaining HP. For each damage counter put on to this Pokémon in this way, put two damage counters on your opponent's Active Pokémon.

Weakness: [R]x2 Resistance: [P]-20 Retreat: [C][C][C][C]

(Edited. RIP 2 Points!)
(Edited again.)

Last edited by a moderator:

demifiend700

Aspiring Trainer
Behold, my first ever CAC entry!
When I first saw the theme, I immediately began looking for the heaviest 'mons out there. After changing my choice several times, I eventually settled on Rhyperior. Weighing around 620 pounds, this big guy is a perfect fit for this month's theme.

Rhyperior.png

• The Rhyperior artwork is taken from a TCG wallpaper, with the foil effect added by me.
  • This card uses the stunning Omni Synthesis blanks made by CardPone on Deviantart. The wording should be the same as in the XY era, in case there's any confusion.
  • I wanted an attack that tied into the "heavy" aspect of this design, so I came up with Megaton Press. Just imagine Rhyperior crushing the opposing Pokemon with its body at full force and you've got a pretty good idea of how this attack works. I decided to use Retreat Cost as the basis of the attack in order to tie into the weight theme.
  • For the HP, Weakness, Resistance, and Retreat Cost, I used existing Rhyperior cards for reference.

That's about it. Can't wait to see everyone else's submissions! :D

Adam Ryder

Aspiring Trainer
Alolan Golem - Rock/Electric - HP160
Stage 2 Pokémon - Evolves from Alolan Graveler

Ability: Steel Attraction
If your opponent has any [M] type Pokémon on his or her bench, choose one and switch it with the Active Pokémon.

[F][L][C][C] Boulder Cannon 80+
This attack does 30 more damage for each Geodude and Alolan Geodude on your bench.

Weakness: Grass (x2) Resistance: Steel (-20)
Retreat Cost: [C][C][C][C]

It fires rocks charged with electricity. Even if the rock isn't fired that accurately, just grazing an opponent will cause numbness and fainting.

When I saw the theme, I knew immediately which Pokemon to do! The Light half is the Electric typing and the Heavy half is the Rock typing. Boy, I'm clever XD

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
Kartana [M] HP: 100
Basic Pokémon

kartana.gif

No: 798 Drawn Sword Pokémon HT: 1'00" WT: 0.2 lbs

Ability: Know When to Fold Them
If Kartana is your Active Pokémon, and has less than 50 HP, you may Knock Out this Pokémon. During the turn you activate this effect, your attacks do 30 more damage to your opponents' Active Pokémon. (Apply the effect before applying Weakness or Resistance, and you cannot use this Ability if Kartana is affected by a Special Condition.)

[M] [C] [C] Paper Cut 60
This attack is not affected by Weakness or Resistance on your opponents' Active Pokémon.

Weakness - [R] x2
Resistance -
Retreat Cost - [C]
"One of the Ultra Beast life-forms, it was observed cutting down a gigantic steel tower with one stroke of its blade."

NinjaPenguin

Always standing out from the crowd.
Here's my card for this month! I tried to fix it for the formatting color glitch that's been happening, but I'm not sure if it worked.
Stage 1~ Evolves from Pumpkaboo\Gourgeist\HP 110\Grass

711-h.png

NO. 711 Pumpkin Pokémon HT: 5’07" WT: 86.0 lbs.

Ability: Trick-or-Treat
As long as this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, your opponent’s Active Pokémon is a [P] Pokémon instead of its existing types.

[G][C] Heavy Heart 20x

This attack does 20 damage for each of your opponent’s Pokémon with weight less than this Pokémon’s. During your opponent’s next turn, this Pokémon takes 50 more damage from attacks from each of your opponent’s Pokémon with weight greater than this Pokémon’s (after applying Weakness and Resistance). (If a Pokémon doesn't have the weight printed on the card, treat it as less than this Pokémon’s.)

[G][G][G] Ruining Light

Devolve each of your opponent's evolved Pokémon and put the highest Stage Evolution card on it into your opponent's hand. Then, your opponent reveals their hand. For each Pokémon card you find there, put 1 damage counter on your opponent's Pokémon in any way you like.

Weakness: [R] x2

Resistance:
Retreat Cost: [C][C][C]

Children like to pick Gourgeist for large festivals. The one who picks the largest Gourgeist is said to have good fortune.
This card was a very fun one to play with in many ways. First things first, let's talk about the theme. I picked Gourgeist for light and heavy because it's main mechanic is the different sizes (and therefore weights). In addition, I added one attack with light in it's name and one with heavy to add a bit more of the theme. This specific Gourgeist is super sized, which I incorporated by picking the large Retreat Cost and slightly higher HP. I also chose Grass type over Psychic type because grass a physical characteristic, while Psychic is not.

Trick-or-Treat is some fun disruption of your opponent's strategies based on type, messing up some cards like Volcanion EX, Regirock EX, Lurantis (Promo), Masked Royal, and Strong Energy, but isn't too insane. It also ties in well to the video games.
Heavy Heart is an interesting effect because it can both help you or hurt you. The idea of it is that Gourgeist can exploit an opponent's low weight, but it does so with a Heavy Heart, knowing that it could hurt it in the end. At 86 pounds in Super Size, Gourgeist is heavier than a good portion of Pokémon, but not too many. I chose to have it work better against GXs (which don't have a printed weight) simply because I like GX counters. Also, I don't think increasing damage done to yourself has been seen in a long time, which makes it pretty special.
Ruining Light is Gourgeist putting out a light that ruins evolutions. It has some pretty obvious self-synergy, giving you more damage by adding Pokémon to an opponent's hand. With evolutions (like Alolan Ninetales, Golisopod, Gardevoir, and Garbodor) storming back into the format, it could finally have a major effect.

The wording for the card is a bit rushed, but it still should be pretty good. None of the effects have been seen before, making wording (and piecing together small fragments from individual cards) harder than usual. While making, I noticed that there's very little precedent for how weight would be incorporated (only Cedric Juniper, which doesn't apply much to this card) or how comparisons between Pokémon would work in a modern era, so I tried to make up something for Heavy Heart that seemed like the most likely thing that would happen.

Though at a high power level, I think this card is fully believable. Every part of the card is very matchup reliant. If an opponent has high weight, basic Pokemon, or no type synergy, Heavy Heart, Ruining Light, and Trick-or-Treat would be shut down respectively. In addition, none of them are too powerful on their own, considering Gourgeist is a Stage 1. The closest one to being OP is probably Ruining Light, but it's damage output is worse than what Oricorio has for one energy and devolution has been seen for one energy on Espeon-EX.
Flareon (AOR), Cedric Juniper, Golisopod GX, Lycanroc GX, Espeon EX, Trevenant (GUR), Oricorio (GUR 56).

Ty Comfy Hat

The Cosmic rage of Astral Dwarfs from Aberdeen.
Reminder that we have less than 12 hours until the deadline! if you need to finish off and post your entry, now's the time!

MarshalBry

Aspiring Trainer
Sadly didn't have too much time for other stuff during the month, but managed to make something with 4 hours left on the clock (it's pretty fun to do with a time constraint like that too).

ZpH04Kr.jpg

References:
Celebi (XY93): Theta stop text
Machoke (GUR): Daunting Pose text
Garbodor (BKP): Garbotoxin text
Slowbro (BKP): Walk-Off Homer text

JadeGemTM

In terms of water, we have water
Forum Mod
Butterfree//Grass//HP 120
Stage 2 ~ Evolves from Metapod
butterfree.jpg

Ability: Fat Free Flight
The Retreat Cost of each Pokémon in play (both yours and your opponent's) is [C] less.

[G][C] Weight Slap 10+
This attack does 10 more damage for each [C] taken away from Pokemon's retreat cost using the Fat Free Flight Ability.

Weakness - [R]
Resistance -
Retreat - [C][C]

quakingpunch73

At The Beach
Uxie -Psychic- HP 70
Basic Pokémon
PkguoSE.png

NO. 480 Knowledge Pokémon HT: 1’00” WT: 0.7 lbs.

Ability: Enlighten
When you play this Pokémon from your hand onto your Bench, you may search your deck for a basic Energy card and attach it to your Active Pokémon for each [C] in your opponent’s Active Pokémon’s Retreat Cost. You may not use an ability with the same name during your turn.

[P][P][P] Secrets of Acuity 90
If your opponent’s Active Pokémon is Knocked Out by damage from this attack, you may take 1 less Prize card for it. Then, draw cards until you have 8 cards in your hand.

Weakness: [P] x2
Resistance:
Retreat Cost: [C]
According to some sources, this Pokémon provided people with the intelligence necessary to solve various problems.
References: Shedinja DRX, Shaymin EX ROS, Solgaleo GX, Umbreon EX FAC, Metagross PLF, Electrike PRC, Buzzwole-GX CRI, Wobbuffet BUS

-I finally finished my entry! This month, I struggled with choosing a 'mon to do, shifting between Giratina, Azelf, and Uxie before finally deciding upon the Knowledge Pokémon.
-Enlighten is both a reference to Uxie's ability to impart wisdom upon people and Pokémon alike, as well as its light weight. It provides quick energy acceleration early on, and could provide larger amounts of energy later in the match to help pay for both attack costs to use powerful attacks and retreat costs to have easier access to retreating, but can only be used once per turn to make up for it being on a basic.
-Secrets of Acuity is a reference to the lake which Uxie is found at in Gen 4 as well as a callback to the infamous Set Up power seen on Legends Awakened Uxie, but with a twist. You can only use the powerful draw effect of the card at the cost of a prize card, which creates a balanced risk vs. reward dilemma. Do you take a prize card and help your chances of winning the game immediately, or do you take the draw power to help take prizes later?
-The stats are lifted from other Uxie cards, but low HP is worth mentioning as a drawback for the card.

Nyan

She/They
Scolipede_CaC_Complete.png

I don't like BREAKS. So, when I decided I was gonna do this I knew automatically it would be a very artistic challenge. I'm used to being able to put all kinds of effects on my cards, but this one, I was limited to some stupid green lightning -_-. Anyways, I have incredibly mixed feelings about this card. I honestly prefer the card hidden beneath it over the BREAK. I don't exactly know what makes me dislike BREAKs so much. Also, my defense for uploading both cards at once, is think of it as a LEGEND, they function together. Individually, it would be weird to judge, so I felt it necessary to make an undercard to go along with it. Hopefully everyone likes it!

Ty Comfy Hat

The Cosmic rage of Astral Dwarfs from Aberdeen.
Forgot to mention earlier, but the deadline is now closed! Any late entries posted after this post might not be judged.

Fan Voting should be available soon!

GM DracLord

Shadow of Death
Forgot to mention earlier, but the deadline is now closed! Any late entries posted after this post might not be judged.

Fan Voting should be available soon!
Totally miss read the date, though I have another day

but just in case if the judge were kind enough

Wailord GX HP 300 [W]
[Stage 1 - Evolves from Wailmer]

Ability - Soothing Tidal
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may heal 50 damage from your Active [W] Pokémon.

[W] [C][C] Weighting Down 150
Discard a [W] from this Pokemon.

[W] [W] [W][C] [C] Extreme Dwindling Wave 300-
Does 300 damage minus 20 for each damage counters on Wailord GX. (You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Weakness - [L] x2
Resistance - [-]
Retreat Cost - [C][C][C][C]

[When your Pokémon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.]

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Text-Based: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/J57KFYB
Image-Based: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/J5PXX3S

Here are the links to the fanvoting for this month! We've gone with a slightly different style of voting this time around. Instead of the ranking system of before, we're testing a system where you can choose your top three entries, however you can vote less than three if you so wish. The deadline for fanvoting is about 72 hours from the timestamp of this post: see this countdown for the deadline in your timezone.

Note that you can't vote the same entry for each of the top spots, otherwise your vote won't count.

Draskk

Blast From The Past
I saw that other people were posting their CaC entries to their threads and I assumed it was allowed. I didn't realize that you couldn't post an entry for a CaC that was going on, and I posted my Celesteela to my fakes thread :/ so sorry, I'll make sure not to do it again.