Discussion Neglected Pokémon in the TCG

ProcInc

Aspiring Trainer
Kingler wasn't in Generations but Krabby was.

Kingler got a print in an XY set which lets it off the hook for a while but SkyPirate has a point. Kingler is overall neglected on the basis of number of prints compared to other Gen Is (although 7 prints averages to 1 per Generation).

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Bonsly has the least prints of any Pokemon. This is a 14-page thread so it's probably been said already.

Baby Pokemon should be retconned out of the dex.

MorningSTAR1337

Aspiring Trainer
Wow its been a while since I last logged on. This list is certainly an eye opener. I though most pokemon usually fine a way into Standard consistently. Then again with only 8 or so packs per format and 100 times that many pokemon, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

BTW I think Tapu Fini was already in a Japanese subset and that both Fini, Bulu and at least some of the UBs would appear in Burning Shadows (as an aside, I expected the borders to be Yellow and Red but I digress)

Baby Pokemon should be retconned out of the dex.

Personally I disagree (regarding the games at least, as far as the TCG's concerned they already did the job), but I can understand the reasons why. Part of the problem baby pokemon have in both the games and the TCG is that most of them were rendered superfluous outside of getting specific moves. In the games, you have to go out of your way to get a and breed with a certain item (which gets in the way of the competitive Knot/Everstone combo used for getting well, competitive mons) and breeding without those items just get your the normal pokemon (Not universal IIRC, Pichu, Riolu and others that were introduced with either their evolution of the concept of breeding were excluded from those). The TCG follows suit giving these pokemon their own stage instead of docking the evolved forms by 1 (AFAIK, only Riolu only avoided this, but for example. Pikachu, and Chansey were still basic pokemon). Something I feel must be addressed if the baby pokemon were to have a shot of being reprinted.

Last edited:

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Riolu isn't a baby, but that's an argument for a different topic.

I wasn't being completely serious but they are basically a waste of a dex slot.

WastedSkyPirate

It will be interesting to see what happens to Baby Pokémon. Surely they won't be ignored forever?

I can see TPCi bringing them back as a "new" mechanic in the future, though perhaps not in the Sun & Moon block (as Baby Pokémon aren't a big part of the game); if we get Diamond & Pearl remakes, however, that might be the moment.

Last edited:

ProcInc

Aspiring Trainer
Chimecho has returned for SM4 followomg Castform's SM2 return!

Such great news for all concerned for the neglected tcg Pokémon

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
Ahem...Still waiting on babies to return (unless you consider Togepi and Riolu babies, which I don't) I mean Mantyke and Bonsly have only gotten one card in English (Mantyke had 2-3 JP exclusives, however Bonsly had none) Also, Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, Sawk, Chimecho, Buzzwole, Celesteela, Xurkitree, Pheromosa, Nihilego (I believe this was confirmed for CRI, could be wrong though), Silvally, Type: Null, Bulu, Fini, and Guzzlord need to be removed from initial list. And Keldeo, Arceus, and Celebi need to be removed from recent promo only list

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
Some people saying rioulu and togepi are not babies are babies not defined as Pokemon with evolutions that cannot breed in the games(exception cosmog and cosmoen) I thought so

jessalakasam

Some people saying rioulu and togepi are not babies are babies not defined as Pokemon with evolutions that cannot breed in the games(exception cosmog and cosmoen) I thought so
This is not the place to argue about this...but we're talking TCG here and in the TCG, Riolu and Togepi aren't babies (granted IMO they're not babies in any form of media but I'm not going to argue 'bout that here)

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
This is not the place to argue about this...but we're talking TCG here and in the TCG, Riolu and Togepi aren't babies (granted IMO they're not babies in any form of media but I'm not going to argue 'bout that here)
ive looked at the old baby pokemon cards and no where does it call them "baby" cards you know what is called a baby Pokemon though rioulu and togetpi. the reason why the other baby pokmeon have not gotten prints is due to the situation of their evolutions(that being the evolutions of the baby pokemon) were released in a differnent generation. the lack of these is weird i dont see much reason for their exclusion especially sense they dont need to be as strong as the old baby Pokemon(some of them at least).

jessalakasam

ive looked at the old baby pokemon cards and no where does it call them "baby" cards you know what is called a baby Pokemon though rioulu and togetpi. the reason why the other baby pokmeon have not gotten prints is due to the situation of their evolutions(that being the evolutions of the baby pokemon) were released in a differnent generation. the lack of these is weird i dont see much reason for their exclusion especially sense they dont need to be as strong as the old baby Pokemon(some of them at least).
Dangit I had a picture showing the difference between a neo Destiny Togepi and Neo Genesis Cleffa, but I can't find it, but here are some differences from Genesis180px-CleffaNeoGenesis20.jpg180px-TogepiNeoGenesis51.jpg

taschen88

Aspiring Trainer
I was hoping for a dual-type Torterra when XY Steam Siege made dual-types a thing again, but sadly we're already on the SM era and the Torterra line are still nowhere to be found. I reeeaaally think Torterra would've been an excellent dual-type EX. Last time Torterra was around it was printed as a Plasma Pokémon in the BW era. Its fellow Sinnoh starters have been around in the XY era, but not my earthquake-inducing tortoise. Infernape was last seen in XY Steam Siege, Empoleon in XY Breakpoint (and Empoleon-BREAK as an XY promo). I hope Torterra makes a comeback soon!
Side-note, a Metal type Empoleon card has been done before, would be cool to resurface. I won't care much about Fighting Infernape, but it would be OK I guess.

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
Well... with Chimecho finally resurfacing, the only forgotten relics that were last seen in Gen IV or earlier are now the Sunkern and Cranidos lines, the gaggle of babies, and Kadabra. Maybe SM4 will be the set that gives us Sunkern and Sunflora, too.

ProcInc

Aspiring Trainer
I am making a prediction now that we will see Sunkern and Sunflora by SM6.

I do not believe we will see Cranidos any time soon due to there being no fossil gen Vii Pokemon to reintroduce fossil dynamics.

"Shining Legends" was a missed opportunity for baby Pokemon (which I think would be best in a Radiant Collection) and now the only hope is a promo box set or something like that Pokemon GO promoting "evolutions" box featuring reprints of Gen II evolution variants of Gen I Pokemon

After Sunkern though, it will be tine to focus on Gen V neglected leftovers.

Purrloin

Oof!

First of all, I apologize for the lack of communication. Truth be told, I was struck with a series of health issues over the summer that made it difficult to sit at my computer, so my spreadsheet has been neglected (ironically). I want to get everything back up to date!

I just finished updating my spreadsheet for last May's set, Burning Shadows. I've also updated the main post to this thread.

On the to-do list is: Updating the release schedule on my spreadsheet, and updating the list for any Promo releases that have come out since May.

If anybody wants to help compile a list of Promos released since May (e.g. tin promos, blister promos, etc.), I'd greatly appreciate the help! :p

---

Here's the data for Burning Shadows:

In Burning Shadows...
Pokemon were last seen in SM sets.
73 Pokemon were last seen in XY sets.
1 Pokemon was last seen in a BW set.

The oldest returning Pokemon was Sawk, who was last seen exactly four years ago in Plasma Blast!

Burning Shadows also brought three new Pokemon to the TCG: Tapu Fini, Necrozma, and Marshadow.

As of now, 43 Pokemon remain in BW sets, 10 Pokemon in HGSS sets, 19 Pokemon in PLAT sets, 9 Pokemon in D&P sets... and Kadabra.