General What Are the Best Nicknames for Each Pokémon?

Chocolate Death

I should be the Water Trial Captain now!
Edna is the name of my cousin's beloved shiny Venusaur from LG. He uses it to this day and happens to obliterate with it often. I found out why he chose the name, too. The name Edna means "Pleasure" in Hebrew, and is closely related etymologically to the name Eden, as in Garden of Eden. And what's more is that in Gen 4, when gender differences were introduced, the Irish and Scottish name it's Anglicized from, which ends up meaning "Kernel" in Gaelic, happened to fit too thanks to the tree seed.

Destan is the name of my SS shiny Poliwag. The name is French and means "Destiny", but is also a variant of Destin, meaning "By the still waters" in the same language. This time the name was fully intended to have full connection, though.

My friend's Mega Charizard Y (not shiny, but his first ever female Charizard) was named Abellona. This name is Greek and means "Destroyer", but is also the Danish feminine variant of Apollo, who happens to be a sun god. Yet again, all connections intentional with this one as well.

ItzGardevoir

Aspiring Trainer
Unisex:
My fav nick for Tepig, Pignite and Emboar is Jordan.
Best for Jigglypuff and Wigglytuff is Quinn.
Female:
Golbat and Zubat get name Chloe. (NO ë!)
Carvanha and Sharpedo for name Brogan.
No male names yet.

All from family and friends.
I'm thinking of a unisex for my male Gardevoir. (Confusing you? ALL GARDEVOIRS NEED TO BE FEMALE!)
Sir knight the gallade to mess with Japanese players who can read English. :p
Should be used on a Pixelmon server because of the Americans.
:p;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Cheyfayce

Stylist by day, Pokemon trainer by night.
OUU I like this thread already!! So,I used to play a bit of pokemonshowdown, since then I've switched to TCG but I sometimes still nickname my mon's just..because I can. A few of my favourites were :

• Oathkeeper (Aegislash) A reference to the name Lady Brienne of Tarth (GoT) gave her sword
  • Sid (Garchomp) Because he's basically a badass Sid the Sloth (Ice age)
  • Snoopy (Smeargle) Because he looks like Snoopy
  • Shia La Bouffalaunt
  • FUUUUUUU- For Seismetoad (Because he's absolutely infuriating )
  • Towlie -Yveltal (Towlie,southpark)

Whitefinch

IG: rotomcollector
Cool thread! Here are some of my Pokemon's nicknames from OR:

Venus (Cresselia) - Seemed a fitting name for this moon-like creature
Swish (Fan Rotom) - Rotom is one of my favourite Poke's and I couldn't resist an adorable name!
Red (Kanghaskhan) - To be honest I think this was inspired by Red from Orange Is The New Black (lol) - she's a strong, buff character and so is Kanghaskhan
Athena (Heatran) - Another god-like nickname for a legendary... I can't seem to help myself!
Hope (Diancie) - A pretty name for a pretty Pokemon

juunkmilk

3nd coming
i always nickname my starter 'swan dog'
after that i tend to name them all after boxers
i think these are the best because i am the smartest person alive

LadyLucina

Aspiring Trainer
If this hasn't been said before, then I would give the nickname Vanoss / VanossGaming to my Rowlet. This is mainly because Rowlet looks like Vanoss' Owl Mask from his GTA V/GMod videos.

Jameth

Aspiring Trainer
I've used the same name for pikachu since the beginning. Fuzzybutt.
Some others are:
Charmander- Chazz (I always thought this was a cool nick name)
Beldum- Bedlam (based on awesome BBC show)
Any cat-like pokemon- Fluffy (my beloved cat RIP my little buddy)
Growlithe- Diogi (d.o.g. haha I know real original)
Dunsparce- Sparky
Wobbafett- Lord Bluebutt

That's all I can think of for now lol

Nyora

A Cat
Tsareena - Putin
Steenee - #1 Waifu
Bounsweet - Cheery Cherry

Vikavolt - Scissors
Charjabug - Bug Bus
Grubbin - Groovin'

Larvitar - Substitute
Pupitar - Blue Seed
Tyranitar - Tyranny :)

Ribombee - Bomber Bee
Cutiefly - OP Bee #1LC

Growlithe - Growlit
Arcanine - Arcasix

Emboar - EmBOI
Pignite - Burny Pig
Tepig - Bacon :|

GrandPanacea

Thread Necromancer
Advanced Member
Karp Diem is still the best Magikarp nickname!
I have a shirt that says this, with art of Magikarp :D

I once did a playthrough of Yellow where literally everything was named ACE. That got confusing quickly.

My favourite nicknames are... Well, I'll go with my teams from Sun and from Moon.

In Sun, my team was named after Fairy Tail characters.
  • Mirajane the Alolan Raichu
  • Evergreen the Lurantis
  • Jura Neekis the Palossand
  • Juvia the Primarina
  • Natsu the Turtonator
  • Fukuru the Toucannon

In Moon, two thirds of my team ended up being named after Baccano! characters. Two from the anime and two from the light novels.
  • Vino the Lycanroc Midnight
  • Illness the Salazzle
  • The Poet the Drampa
  • Potoooooooo the Mudsdale
  • Robin Hoot the Decidueye
  • Ennis the Kommo-o

Chopper

Aspiring Trainer
Hello and welcome to umm this. This is my first thread so mods move it please if it is in the wrong spot. Anyways this thread is to debate what nicknames represent any species of pokemon the most. So debate the best names. Now as WPM would say "Discuss!".

Mod Note: Remember to elaborate on what makes your favorite nicknames the best to you. Give reasons, not just lists!
~Frezgle

Ill help dudes!

Spot - Houndoom/Mega Houndoom: I don't know why. I just like it.
John CENAroar- Incineroar: It just fits.
Fluffy Dino- Tyrantrum: Tyrantrum has a lot of fluff.
Leo - Pyroar: My goal is to have a lion named Leo. I don't know why.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
My teams nicknames are normally odd. I tend to name all my bird Pokemon after food but my main team is,

Pidgeot - Autumn - Pidgeot's colors (including the shiny) just reminds me of changing nature. Lots of yellow, gold, red, orange and brown, so I find it fitting. Also gives the Pokemon some character.
Vaporeon- Aqua - Nothing special here but it too reminds me of autumn.
Zangoose- Genis - I have a Zangoose character named Genis so this is just a joke on that.
Zapdos- Zappy Wappy - Just a cute name for a Zapdos.
Oricorio- Food - I just want to deep fry them. They look so tasty. They are cute too but it needs to know it's place in my world.
Cresselia- Luna - Another bad nickname but it's fitting.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Tapu Koko- Koko puff.(Koko is in the name, there's so many nicknames you can give this this thing)
Incineroar-Fire Kitty(It's basically what a hardcore gang member name is: something the total opposite of the thing being named this)
Blaziken- 420Blaziken
Alolan Muk- PRIDE(It's a rainbow)
Ninetales-Kyuubi(something to do with Naruto I think? Ask the weebs)
Keldeo-Brony(Because its' design is dumb)
Hydreigon-Ravioli(RAVIOLI, RAVIOLI, WHAT'S IN THE POCKETOLI?)

Kapu Riki

Spilling the T, sipping the Tapu Cocoa
I named my Primarina in my Pokemon Sun version Trixie, short for Trixie Mattel. Later on, I caught a Gabite and named him Katya. Named my Nihilego Phi Phi and my Clefable Valentina. Someone should be able to clock those names.

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
At the local card shop my daughter and I go to, Wailord EX is referred to as 'Doofy Whale'

Sylveon GX is 'Ding Dong'. This is because I end up searching for it in some sing-songy manner. ooor DIIIIIING DONG!''I'll Ener-gy Evo-lution foooor DIIIIING DONG!'

A Dragon of Destiny

The Ultimate Dragon
My Butterfrees will always be Wyrm, a reference to both bugs and small dragon-like creatures.
In my lost game of Y :( by Delphox is named Firefox for being a fire fox and puns.
My Aerodactyl in yellow is prplchar as Aerodactyl is both purple and looks like Charizard to an extent.
Natsu the Turtonator-GrandPanacea
I named my Sceptile Natsu in OmegaRuby.

My one rule of nicknaming is NEVER NICKNAME A LEGENDARY.

Last edited: