News Gengar From SM4 Revealed!

What about Gengar? He barely gets love. His only good card from XY was the creep show one(but tbh XY barely had any gengar) Also this kinda lowers our chance for a Gengar GX in the set...
When I saw the title, I got excited for Gengar-GX...
Oh well, maybe next time!

We have pokemon like Lycanroc, Bewear, and Alolan Ninetales with both.

Also, Gengar-EX was a great card!~

I think it's built to be a Garde killer, but what would you pair it with for offensive pressure?

Initial thoughts:

Wobbuffet (GEN)
Deals damage based off damage they've taken + slows down decks like Volcanion and Garde.
Alakazam-EX is similar, but seems like a less favorable option.

Tapu Koko (promo)
Can spread damage for a DCE, doesn't require set-up.

Necrozma-GX
Can stall vs Colorless, while also spreading damage to GX/EX Pokemon with it's attack

Espeon-GX
Allows for stalling, and damage spread, probably favorable over Necrozma.
Consistency is usually better than raw damage.

Jirachi (Shining Legends)
Devolves your opponents Pokemon, allowing you to take knockouts, and rack up damage with Po Town.

You could also just run this with Gengar from Generations, and use Creep Show for KOs.
But, that causes less consistency from your evo chains, and is easily OHKOd.

I don't understand why exactly people think this is a bad card. I can see this being incredibly useful paired with cards that disrupt energy. You can force them to take an extra 20 damage on top of what you're already doing simply because you NEED the energy to fight.

This is what I was thinking, energy removal is still in standard~

Major weakness here, is...
You're giving Drampa-GX free Berserks.
Which is why I think Necrozma should be in here.

Additional sidenote:
Haunter's ability confuses the active Pokemon, which is another useful stall tool!

Last edited:
Maybe a 1 of this card in a creepshow gengar deck would work. You get a baby koko ready to attack and if they attach any energies, they will be in KO range.

This would be more of a gimmick deck though, definitely not competitive in my opinion.

There was a REASON that Ampharos' ability was only effective in the active spot
THERE WAS A REASON

The ability does actually sound really good, but it's probably just not useful considering it's a stage 2 Pokemon.

Eh, I don't see this card being all that good. Don't get me wrong, that Ability is good, especially since it stacks (meaning you can pile on 80 damage per Energy attachment), but I think it's too slow and clunky to get into play on a Stage 2, especially multiples.

Metagross-GX and Gardevoir-GX can get away with being Stage 2s because they're the main attackers in their respective decks. Gengar, on the other hand, is a Stage 2 tech card that you have to get multiples of into play to get a worthwhile effect - if you ask me, that's not worth the sheer amount of deck space it requires, nor is it worth the effect of hampering your deck's consistency as a direct result.

I'm... torn. On one hand, this thing seems like hot garbage. On the other, it's whenever your opponent plays an Energy from the hand - so say if a Blastoise type deck became meta relevant, this would be the meta call to play.

It seems far too situational right now but we'll have to see what the future holds.

Judging the artwork only, it feels that Base Set Haunter and Gastly finally have a similar themed companion that they were looking for. No disrespect to Keiji Kinebuchi since his work is much, much more interesting and better than Shin Nagasawa.

I don't understand why exactly people think this is a bad card. I can see this being incredibly useful paired with cards that disrupt energy. You can force them to take an extra 20 damage on top of what you're already doing simply because you NEED the energy to fight.

A great example would be Lycanroc GX. I play a deck with him and tons of energy disruption and Strong Energy. While it's kinda weird to throw psychics in a fighting deck, I could see it being an amazing way to finish off kills or force opponents to focus on another pokemon, effectively giving you free prizes. Slap a Muscle Dumbell on it and it's not getting revenge killed easily.

Maybe i'm oversimplifying it, but it does sound fun on paper.

Edit: Guardians Rising Honchkrow also loves the support that comes out of this card.
your forgetting that its a stage 2, which requires you use at least 1-2 turns extra to evolve it. usually gastly dies before it can evolve. theres no way to evolve in 1 turn, you need to turns to get it out at the most, if your using rare candy.

your forgetting that its a stage 2, which requires you use at least 1-2 turns extra to evolve it. usually gastly dies before it can evolve. theres no way to evolve in 1 turn, you need to turns to get it out at the most, if your using rare candy.
I'm not forgetting this at all. We have popular decks using stage 2s right now like Decidueye, Vileplume, and Gardevoir, so obviously people still find them worth using. Not to mention there are ways to ensure getting a stage 2 out quickly such as Walley, Rare Candy, or the recently released Diance that is ran with gardevoir. It's definately not impossible to run.

I think this card work well with a lot of energy discarders like team flare grunt,both hammers.Maybe this could be a way to make a damage and discard deck.

Back