News September's SM4 Set: 'The Awoken Hero' and 'The Transdimensional Beast'

Rindon

Aspiring Trainer
If Secret Spring counts as from hand, this ability will be insane in GardeGX decks.

edit: MetaCall Ninja'd me
You're right the ability on Miltank says an energy from hand...and Secret Spring specifically says attach a Y energy from hand. So I am assuming that it would count. If that is true you could heal 180 damage while attaching two energy...add in fairy drop there is a ton of healing potential for Gardevoir-GX.

BKRapper

Aspiring Trainer
This thing is straight BROKEN in Garde. Garb and Alolan Muk are going to see increased play after this rolls onto the scene.

wonderful_whismur

The most wonderful whismur in the world
I think this will be good with Tapu Koko GX? Switch out a damaged Tapu Koko for this Miltank, attach an energy to the damaged Koko, and put down a new Koko which takes all the energy including the new one. In this way, you have two fresh Tapu Kokos.

Last edited:

Tails19950

Aspiring Trainer
I'm starting to feel there MUST be something different about the Ultra Beast cards. They're not addressing them yet and I find that odd :)

Agidyne

Aspiring Trainer
Float stones with golisopod gx, guzma and this miltank sounds good to me. By the way, if the translation is correct, it says "energy" and not "energy card". Does this mean that a DCE is healing 180?

Kyrushi

Squirrel
Pokemon with abilities that basically give you free switches like Solgaleo could make this a really fun card to use! Personally I wanna somehow use this with my silly Wailord stall deck. I've been wanting healing to be viable and it looks like they're trying to push it!

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
Miltank looks like a very good card, but I think it also comes with some playability concerns. I'll be focusing on a Gardevoir GX deck as it seems to be the obvious deck to play it in.

The first is bench space. With 2-3 Gardevoir GX, usually at least 1 Lele to search for a supporter at some point, maybe Octillery for draw power, and Diancie/Sylveon/Alolan Vulpix for your set up option, you're not left with a lot of room on your bench. Worst case scenario, I guess you could ditch the Octillery from the deck list, but whether or not that's worth it comes down to playtesting.

The other concern is over extension. The best time to play Miltank would be when you're still setting up and you have fresh Gardevoir GX on the bench with no energy. But once you get a Gardevoir GX to 4, 5, 6 energy to start swinging for OHKOs, every energy you add on beyond that point for the 90 recover becomes over extension. This is especially dangerous in the mirror match since your opponent can just Guzma your over charged Gardy GX into their 1 or 2 energy Gardy GX, and there's an OHKO you can't recover from and all of the energies lost to discard, forcing you to use the GX attack to get your resources back.

I think the main question to be asked with Miltank to clarify any of these concerns is "how many heals do I need to impact the game enough in my favor?" I believe the answer to that question would determine its usefulness.

I believe Miltank's role is to allow you to set up early game without having to worry about your Gardevoir GX entering the active with only half HP remaining. It's very good at protecting you from Alolan Ninetales GX sniping your benched Gardevoir GX early on with Ice Blade. However, it naturally has limited use because you do not want to be attaching almost all of your energy to a single Gardevoir GX and making the rest of them worthless. If Guzma wasn't a thing, I think that would be totally okay, but since Guzma is a thing, you really do not want to be putting all your eggs in one basket.

Hopefully without taking this into too much of a tanget, I prefer Acerola as a restoration option over Miltank, at least in concept. She can scoop up your damaged Gardy GX, all the evolutions below it, the float stone/choice band, and all the energy as well giving you a refresh and a huge handful of energy that you can Secret Spring onto the rest of your Gardy GX. I personally feel that because Acerola restores not only your Gardy GX but also your resources is what makes her a superior recovery option, that is assuming using Acerola is the best usage of supporters that turn and you have a way to make her available when you need her (Lele or Skyla/Sylveon if you don't get N'd).

All that being said, I would really like to try this card when it comes out.

RisingRaichuu

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
UBs are straight up guaranteed to be announced at Worlds. Last year they announced GXs there, they've got to announce something this year and this is surely it!

MagicFash

Aspiring Trainer
This could be great in GOLISOPOD as a 1-Energy attachment + Floats = 120 heal 90 on a 210 Tank! (Really bad pun intended)

Ecourts

Wanderer | Lvl.2
Float stones with golisopod gx, guzma and this miltank sounds good to me. By the way, if the translation is correct, it says "energy" and not "energy card". Does this mean that a DCE is healing 180?

I believe it would still heal 90.
You're attaching one energy from your hand, while that energy provides 2 Colorless, you only attached an energy once.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
I might actually have a use for this in my Pidgeot-EX deck. Been looking for another heal card in addition to Max Potion. I may actually try this out.

LBelleBird

Aspiring Trainer
One energy attachment = 90, so I believe dce would still just be 90

Edit. On mobile, JUST saw that someone already said the same lol

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
  • Miltank - I love the ability. Big heals. Forget the attack. Perfect staller,unless you use Energy Switch to swap those energies to Broski. 3 Geodudes.

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
Alright, the translation is probably Moomoo Milk, but I'm going to make fun of the current translation.

I'm picturing this bar scene, with Miltank as the bartender.
A randomness assortment of Pokémon are lined up at the bar.
A Goomy pipes up and says,
"Woooh! Give me another shot of that, Miltank."
The Miltank goes into the back room, makes a grunting noise, then returns with another glass.
Heh. Inappropriate as it may be, it's still funny.

The card is good. Really good. Complete incompatibility if you use Drampa GX, anything else, bingo. A problem might be that you can only retreat once per turn, meaning unless you have Guzma, float stone, or switch, you are pretty much heal blocked, and Miltank can't really defend itself well.

One dude mentioned this with Tapu Koko. I say Nay Nay, you use Acerola for Koko Loco.
(Nay Nay = no)

You can't exploit the DCE attachment, which is sad, especially in Energy attaching decks, like my Golden Goat of Eternal Life (Xerneas BREAK) deck.

3 Stars, this can see a tad of play.
But only a tad.

Last edited: