News Lysandre's Trump Card Has Been Banned

I have always thought this was a good idea personally because I find the need for a rule that *most* people don't know and likely wouldn't know without someone else helping them makes the game more confusing, not less. I honestly think the practice of releasing the same card with a different name is ridiculous anyway. I get that they want relevant names that newer players might recognize from the show / video games, but if they did something like the difference between Lillie and Bianca, suddenly both are playable. I mean, you could technically play Hau, Cheren, and Tierno together too because the effects aren't deemed "too game breaking" to play 12 total copies if you chose to do so. All that said, even that is silly.

Dunno, something as simple as "Professor" with an errata that specifically states (Professor cannot be played with Professor Sycamore, Professor Oak, or Professor Juniper) or something like that would be a better approach than what we have currently.

Given that the powers-that-be aren't usually counting on these cards to move sets, and may even prefer having too many as to too few in the cardpool, I am starting to think it would be better if they went the generic-name-route with anything they believe they are likely to reprint. After all, if they end up being wrong, they just go back to the more specific versions and (maybe) avoid giving that specific character a verion of the "generic" card. For example, if let us say that this approach had been used, but Professor Kukui clearly does its own thing; all it would require is not printing a version of "Professor" with Prof. Kukui art or making sure said art was nice and distinct.

it would be much better if they comprised and have a restricted list, like yugioh had, like making it to only 1-3copiess per deck is more feasible. grass, outside of the basic ex/gx is pretty weak without the evolution advantage.

it would be much better if they comprised and have a restricted list, like yugioh had, like making it to only 1-3copiess per deck is more feasible. grass, outside of the basic ex/gx is pretty weak without the evolution advantage.

I might be more inclined to agree if that had really worked in Yu-Gi-Oh. A few cards were balanced by being restricted from the full three count in that game but most of the time it was just a matter of having one or two copies of a still broken card. I remember, in some formats, the list was practically your deck skeleton. ;) Often, the list seemed more about doing something than actually fixing something, if ya get my drift.

Pokémon also specializes in TecH, draw, search, and recycling effects that most other games only dream of; in short I'm not sure if it would be enough. Throw in making the game even more confusing than just out and out bans, and I don't think it is a good idea.

Given that the powers-that-be aren't usually counting on these cards to move sets, and may even prefer having too many as to too few in the cardpool, I am starting to think it would be better if they went the generic-name-route with anything they believe they are likely to reprint. After all, if they end up being wrong, they just go back to the more specific versions and (maybe) avoid giving that specific character a verion of the "generic" card. For example, if let us say that this approach had been used, but Professor Kukui clearly does its own thing; all it would require is not printing a version of "Professor" with Prof. Kukui art or making sure said art was nice and distinct.

Let's not forget the complete disaster that Professor Juniper and Professor Sycamore were. Can't even believed these cards were in the same format. Having a card named Professor would have fixed that.

Yugioh really focuses on using chains to get monsters out. Pokemon focuses on draw support.

Even 1 LTC would be ridiculously powerful

And it is broken with it. Forest of Giant Plants is simple a card that ought not to have been printed for precisely this reason. ;)

Back