Discussion Is Volcanion-EX Still a Good Deck?

Good luck then. Similarly, I've had few issues beating Espeon-Garb (I too play this deck and know its short-comings).

so what do you do when your baby Volcanion gets confused turn 2 and you still need your board set up? (and you don't have any outs to really retreat.) Because confusion really hurts Volcanion and if you don't have a way to get out of it, you're in for a rough time. Just not sure what you do in that situation.

@StevenM

If you're playing against Espeon-GX/Garbodor, be careful with your Tool attachments. Do not attach Choice Band/Fighting Fury Belt unless it is required to take a Knock Out. This will leave you free to attach a Float Stone and you can retreat out of Confusion.

With some cautious play, and several switching options (e.g. Olympia, Switch, Escape Rope and ya boi Guzma), you shouldn't have too many problems playing around Confusion.

Ok so here is what I am seeing from this thread

1. Ho-Oh GX= Volcanion's answer to water. Possible Kiawe Target
  2. Kiawe=GOD, just make sure you put it on a Turtanator or a Ho-Oh GX, otherwise we are just wasting energy.
  3. Espeon/Garb is a issue, me having played the top 8 NA list since basically day 3 of the event has grown accustomed to this. Kiawe should help with this, as long a you do it onto a benched pokemon, you just retreat next turn, do a few steam-ups and ko it.
  4. Greninja, oh please, if it ever becomes big use the giratina promo.
  5. Burning Shadows support is going to be good. Guzma combines Lysandre and Olympia (- the 30 heal). Acerola might see some utility, but to be honest, I don't see much use for it in this deck. Granted I have not played with AZ before so take that as you wish.
After rotation I might cut Elixers as we have kiawe, use it turn one and use the baby volc to power everyone else up. And are we sure Ho-Oh GX is not just a water tech. With Kiawe is is arguably better than Turtanator GX. It OHKOs Darkrai EX/GX, which IMO looks to be really good.

If I may take a poll here, what is everyone's opinion on Marshshadow GX, worth or not? I don't think so but just want to see if I missed anything.

But if this tread is anything to go by, we are going to have some fun with this deck, it is just a matter of how.

^ Sorry, Marshshadow GX does not benefit from steam up: Volcanion-EX's ability won't help its attacks, as only basic fires are affected by volc's ability. Marshshadow? He can only 1HKO stage 1 GXes if choice band's attached to it, and kukui is used w/ Turtonator in discard. Sorry, but in order to answer to water, best use Ho-Oh GX, and only kiawe on T1, lest you want Gardevoir-GX to be rare candied from Ralts T3-T4(depending on whether the opponent goes first or second), to annihilate your deck: 4 Fires on your side and one fairy plus 1 dce on Gardy's plus gardy choice band = 240 damage, enough for a 1HKO by Infinite Force...

Last edited:
Meh, I'm just gonna use Espeon/Garb. It beats volcanion with ease in testing. The confusion just is really hard to get past. 6 cards in your whole deck and if you don't draw them, you sit there and take a hit.

From tourney matches, I've gone fairly even with Espeon/Garb.
I run 2 Float Stone, 2 Switch, Skyla (can fetch them), and Olympia.
Retreating with Volcanion-EX after an attack is also an option; as you can reattach with Turtonator-GX or Volcanion.

It's pretty hard to deal with, but not impossible.
Also, you could always gamble with the coin flips; you can OHKO both Garb and Espeon-GX.

From tourney matches, I've gone fairly even with Espeon/Garb.
I run 2 Float Stone, 2 Switch, Skyla (can fetch them), and Olympia.
Retreating with Volcanion-EX after an attack is also an option; as you can reattach with Turtonator-GX or Volcanion.

It's pretty hard to deal with, but not impossible.
Also, you could always gamble with the coin flips; you can OHKO both Garb and Espeon-GX.

Yeah, it's frustrating so pardon if my posts come off that way. Some people say Garb/Espeon variants won't be that good post rotation but I don't see it. The deck is still tough to deal with and that alone makes it good. Volcanion will also be a force too. I had to revamp my Volcanion deck after a bunch of losses with it lately.

Volcanion-EX gets a lot of support in Burning Shadows. Also I think that Metagross get more popular, which is one of the best matchups, because of Gardevoir-GX.
Maybe we will see it just as a support Mon to push other fire types like Ho-Oh-GX. We´ll see.

Going to be interesting to see what happens after burning shadows drops. Some of the top players said while testing the deck loser is busted. I still think Gardy has a good match up against it but then again Gardy is a stage 2. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

so what do you do when your baby Volcanion gets confused turn 2 and you still need your board set up? (and you don't have any outs to really retreat.) Because confusion really hurts Volcanion and if you don't have a way to get out of it, you're in for a rough time. Just not sure what you do in that situation.
I'd still try to attack and take the 50-50 chance that I'll still have a successful Power Heater attack with the reward of accelerating 2 R energy onto my benched Pokémon. Unlike Paralysis and Sleep conditions, one's Active still has an attack or retreat option available.

I'd still try to attack and take the 50-50 chance that I'll still have a successful Power Heater attack with the reward of accelerating 2 R energy onto my benched Pokémon. Unlike Paralysis and Sleep conditions, one's Active still has an attack or retreat option available.

That's the play I made but I did not get heads so I damage myself and got taken out. From there, I put out my second baby volcanion, steamed up but the opponent got Garbotoxin out and just made things tough for me.

The key is not to risk knocking your self out, at that point you should have just passed and let your opponent knock you out.

Back