Discussion Turtonator/Volcanion with Kiawe a powerful deck?

StevenM

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Ideally, first turn would be to get a Turtonator and Kiawe to get the ball rolling. Puts a ton of pressure on the opponent and can hit for tons of damage, with steams up boosting the 160 attack even more. Am I wrong in thinking this variation of Volcanion can work? It's super aggressive but seems very good. I have lots of Turtonators so I may try it out in testing. :)

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
That 160 damage attack also discards two energy so you'll eventuall have to give up a turn or two to get set up again. There are probably better pokemon to to Kiawe the energy onto then Turtonator

JDA

Aspiring Trainer
Dragonite EX, Volcanion, Flareon EX, Ho-Oh GX, Turt GX... However the flavour of your Kaiwe deck to me it's bound to have an impact on the upcomming game. Massive even.

I agree with CrowAxe that you dont want to discard all the time but to me the Turt GX will only be a part of a much larger deck that goes of at turn 2 with pumping out 130 damage attacks, sometimes even without downside.

Dragonite EX even allows you to continue the set up, clunks for 130 and removes an energy from the active.Volcanion is the ideal, "don't know what Im going to face" with 100 base damage.
The prime advantage of Flareon EX is that it can move over the fire energies which all set up for a much smoother secondary attacker, it's utility but good utility with say a Volcanion who does not need 4 energies to begin with.
Ho-Oh and Turt GX are the typical follow up GX killers.

Sprinkle in Volcanion EX as your engine and your rolling. It's the deck Ive ordered last week. Once Kaiwe hits and Ho-Oh aswell I don't expect much that can withstand it up until the next comming set.

Cheers,

Last edited:

mrfr1day

Aspiring Trainer
Dragonite EX, Volcanion, Flareon EX, Ho-Oh GX, Turt GX... However the flavour of your Kaiwe deck to me it's bound to have an impact on the upcomming game. Massive even.

I agree with CrowAxe that you dont want to discard all the time but to me the Turt GX will only be a part of a much larger deck that goes of at turn 2 with pumping out 130 damage attacks, sometimes even without downside.

Dragonite EX even allows you to continue the set up, clunks for 130 and removes an energy from the active.Volcanion is the ideal, "don't know what Im going to face" with 100 base damage.
The prime advantage of Flareon EX is that it can move over the fire energies which all set up for a much smoother secondary attacker, it's utility but good utility with say a Volcanion who does not need 4 energies to begin with.
Ho-Oh and Turt GX are the typical follow up GX killers.

Sprinkle in Volcanion EX as your engine and your rolling. It's the deck Ive ordered last week. Once Kaiwe hits and Ho-Oh aswell I don't expect much that can withstand it up until the next comming set.

Cheers,
Would love a deck list mate. Would you kindly?

JDA

Aspiring Trainer
Would love a deck list mate. Would you kindly?

Sure! But can we allready posts decklists of cards that arn't released yet? I could make a small story about it aswell if you wanted.
The thing is that the information won't be relevant up until rotation in September.

This moment the format is still very much defined by VS Seeker, the impact of it's removal will be massive and typically will mean that the win-more/utility Supporters will be valued differently as they are now. For example Lysander is so great now because of VS Seeker, not so much because Lysander is the end all be all Supporter. Because the way the format works out now is not punishing the "ditching" of Supporters whatsoever for different gains (think Ultra Ball, Scyamore etc.).

So Im certainly willing to share but the switch of mindset that is to come is something that has to be taken into account with it. The moment VS Seeker will show up again the whole deck would also be completely deconstructed xD

Cheers!

mrfr1day

Aspiring Trainer
Sure! But can we allready posts decklists of cards that arn't released yet? I could make a small story about it aswell if you wanted.
The thing is that the information won't be relevant up until rotation in September.

This moment the format is still very much defined by VS Seeker, the impact of it's removal will be massive and typically will mean that the win-more/utility Supporters will be valued differently as they are now. For example Lysander is so great now because of VS Seeker, not so much because Lysander is the end all be all Supporter. Because the way the format works out now is not punishing the "ditching" of Supporters whatsoever for different gains (think Ultra Ball, Scyamore etc.).

So Im certainly willing to share but the switch of mindset that is to come is something that has to be taken into account with it. The moment VS Seeker will show up again the whole deck would also be completely deconstructed xD

Cheers!
I meant for post rotation. Also...Dragonite EX + Kiawe sounds amazing. Thinking of using it with Plumaria? Discard two basic pokemon then bring them back with Dragonite EX

Last edited:

JDA

Aspiring Trainer
I meant for post rotation. Also...Dragonite EX + Kiawe sounds amazing. Thinking of using it with Plumaria? Discard two basic pokemon then bring them back with Dragonite EX

Will post up that list tomorrow. Yep Plumeria is a certain toolbox option, if the deck really has the room for it is something I don't know/think. However I do feel that the base principle will revolve around the normal Volcanion actually, as again he's the ideal starter that allows you to either have him 'wall' so your opponent is a single price ahead but you can pick the Kaiwe target or if your opponents initial set up isn't through the roof the Volcanion will do more as enough work with Kaiwe so turn 2 Steam Artillery can really get you ahead by simple beat down.
To me the craziest card in Burning Shadows remains Kaiwe, just while other Stadiums where banned for larger formats an even more dangerous form of 'ramp up' crawls around the corner to boost a deck that has allready seen it's fair share of succes.

Though I have to say, it's actually quite likely that Dragonite EX will eventually be more of a tech card aswell in the deck as Ho-Oh GX is nothing to sneeze at either and shares the same weakness/resistance while it's also a Fire Pokemon so gains some drastical advantage out of Volcanion Ex's ability. While I love Dragonite EX hitting 210 with Ho-Oh GX thanks to Volcanion EX means that it can 1HKO every basic to stage 1 pokemon in the game, with only stage 2 GX's being just out of it's reach but technically reachable if you where to include more Volcanion EX's. Something I don't really like because again I feel he's the worst starting Pokemon in the theoretical upcomming deck.

Now with all that more tomorrow, the main star of the deck to me remains Kaiwe and the most potent aspect of it all is that the format doesn't have anything that can prevent it turn 1 and thus the game basically allows you to remove the small disadvantage it has with some of the most potent attacks in the game.

mrfr1day

Aspiring Trainer
Will post up that list tomorrow. Yep Plumeria is a certain toolbox option, if the deck really has the room for it is something I don't know/think. However I do feel that the base principle will revolve around the normal Volcanion actually, as again he's the ideal starter that allows you to either have him 'wall' so your opponent is a single price ahead but you can pick the Kaiwe target or if your opponents initial set up isn't through the roof the Volcanion will do more as enough work with Kaiwe so turn 2 Steam Artillery can really get you ahead by simple beat down.
To me the craziest card in Burning Shadows remains Kaiwe, just while other Stadiums where banned for larger formats an even more dangerous form of 'ramp up' crawls around the corner to boost a deck that has allready seen it's fair share of succes.

Though I have to say, it's actually quite likely that Dragonite EX will eventually be more of a tech card aswell in the deck as Ho-Oh GX is nothing to sneeze at either and shares the same weakness/resistance while it's also a Fire Pokemon so gains some drastical advantage out of Volcanion Ex's ability. While I love Dragonite EX hitting 210 with Ho-Oh GX thanks to Volcanion EX means that it can 1HKO every basic to stage 1 pokemon in the game, with only stage 2 GX's being just out of it's reach but technically reachable if you where to include more Volcanion EX's. Something I don't really like because again I feel he's the worst starting Pokemon in the theoretical upcomming deck.

Now with all that more tomorrow, the main star of the deck to me remains Kaiwe and the most potent aspect of it all is that the format doesn't have anything that can prevent it turn 1 and thus the game basically allows you to remove the small disadvantage it has with some of the most potent attacks in the game.
I honestly just thought about putting Dragonite EX in a deck of it's own. I'm thinking of a disruption deck with Dragonite. Hammers, Plumeria to discard pokemon and maybe team flare grunt? With VS seeker gone I think Dragonite EX + Puzzle of time sounds really good right now. One can pull up a Tapu from the discard and the other can pull any card.

JDA

Aspiring Trainer
I honestly just thought about putting Dragonite EX in a deck of it's own. I'm thinking of a disruption deck with Dragonite. Hammers, Plumeria to discard pokemon and maybe team flare grunt? With VS seeker gone I think Dragonite EX + Puzzle of time sounds really good right now. One can pull up a Tapu from the discard and the other can pull any card.

Yeah the utility alone makes him a worthy consideration and the beauty remains that in theory Dragonite EX's attack isn't bad, what you do require though is indeed 4 energies but that's where Kaiwe comes in and prevails for sure.

If you wanted to go that disruptive route I'd certainly go for it! The key thing to remember is that Kaiwe does not require you to play any Fire Pokemon at all, he just wants at the bare minimum 4-8 Fire energies in the deck. Which further opens the functional cardpool by a lot.

A set up like that could indeed include something like Dragonite EX, Talonflame (Gale Wings), Drampa GX, Tauros GX, Mega Steelix EX and Kangaskhan does a neat Volcanion impression in my books.

mrfr1day

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah the utility alone makes him a worthy consideration and the beauty remains that in theory Dragonite EX's attack isn't bad, what you do require though is indeed 4 energies but that's where Kaiwe comes in and prevails for sure.

If you wanted to go that disruptive route I'd certainly go for it! The key thing to remember is that Kaiwe does not require you to play any Fire Pokemon at all, he just wants at the bare minimum 4-8 Fire energies in the deck. Which further opens the functional cardpool by a lot.

A set up like that could indeed include something like Dragonite EX, Talonflame (Gale Wings), Drampa GX, Tauros GX, Mega Steelix EX and Kangaskhan does a neat Volcanion impression in my books.
Going to look into it. Looking forward to the deck list :)

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
Ideally, first turn would be to get a Turtonator and Kiawe to get the ball rolling. Puts a ton of pressure on the opponent and can hit for tons of damage, with steams up boosting the 160 attack even more.
I totally agree. After this past weekend's SM3# pre-release tournaments, I got some new cards, like Guzma, Kiawe, and Sophocles, which I plan to incorporate into my Turtonator-Volcanion deck. IMO, the potential of this deck is just awesome: getting 5 R energy into play T1 is just too fantastic.

Am I wrong in thinking this variation of Volcanion can work? It's super aggressive but seems very good. I have lots of Turtonators so I may try it out in testing. :)
I've been running Turtonator-Volcanion for a while with good results; and, IMO, this new Burning Shadows set will make the deck even better.

Has anyone tested Burning energy (still legal I believe) as a way to address Turtonator GX Bright Flame attack's energy discard requirement? If so, what is your R and Burning energy respective counts?

Last edited:

F4H_Jay

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Kiawe will make volcanion/turtanator real good if you can get it turn one. Bright flame turn 2, then nitro gx turn 3 to get everything set up again. Its a good combo. I don't see using burning energy, it can easily get knocked off with drampa's first attack. and I think we'll see a lot of team skull grunt. Running 14 basic fire energy seems the way to go.