Discussion Template for Stage 2 Decks

Mw2020

Aspiring Trainer
I've been wondering what the best way to run stage 2s would be. Rather than the standard N and Sycamore play style. So which cards in standard offer the best draws to get a large hand of cards, when I made a Metagross deck with Machine Gun Stomp I found it beneficial to have a large hand of cards running stage 2s was easy, but with N it makes this difficult. So some cards I can think of running would be Hau, Unown, Acro Bike, Trainers Mail. And using Lapras GX or Sylveon GX to draw more. Of course each deck is different and fitting everything in is tough but their has to be a way, right. I'm interested in ideas and thoughts other players have thanks.

Don't forget about Talonflame. I've been running a Haxorus/Talonflame deck with relative success.
I know that if you run 4 of them, in the best case you'll have 3 dead cards in the deck, but that's nothing you cant' solve by discarding them with Ultra Ball, Sycamore and Misty's Determination (yes, you read well) ;)

Here's the current template I use, I built my Gallade/Octillery deck around it:

Pokemon:

2 Alolan Vulpix
4-3-4 Stage 2 line
2 Tapu Lele GX

Trainers:

4x Sycamore
4x N
2x Lysandre
1x Brigette
1x Skyla
4x VS Seeker
2x Timer Ball
4x Ultra Ball
3x Rare Candy

I find Vulpix to be better than Talonflame, you don't have to start with it and it takes less deck space, but that's your decision. I think 4-3-4 and 3 Rare Candys is better than 4-2-4 and 4 Candy, with Vileplume and Garbodor in the format. If you're playing something like Vikavolt where the Stage 2 is support, I would recommend 3-2-3 and 3 Rare Candy. Lele for Brigette is absolutely amazing, I honestly would consider two Brigettes. Skyla is useful to grab Rare Candy. Timer Ball's coin flip is annoying, but it's been clutch multiple times. Hope this is helpful :)

I've been wondering what the best way to run stage 2s would be. Rather than the standard N and Sycamore play style. So which cards in standard offer the best draws to get a large hand of cards, when I made a Metagross deck with Machine Gun Stomp I found it beneficial to have a large hand of cards running stage 2s was easy, but with N it makes this difficult. So some cards I can think of running would be Hau, Unown, Acro Bike, Trainers Mail. And using Lapras GX or Sylveon GX to draw more. Of course each deck is different and fitting everything in is tough but their has to be a way, right. I'm interested in ideas and thoughts other players have thanks.
If you are playing that Metagross, find a way to block N or accept a lot of losses. To net cards, they have to draw more than 1, so Unown, Acro Bike and Trainers' Mail are no good. If you are looking to play other stage 2s, the N/Sycamore engine, but with a Skyla or 2 is still the best.

Back