Discussion The Shiny Hunting Thread

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
I used my Decidueye as well, however, I didn't False Swipe the shiny Beldum. I just put it to sleep with Hypnosis on Exeggutor and then used a Timer Ball :)

I tried Timer Balls on my first run, just to see how effective they were. They didn't seem to be any better than ultras, tbh. I did catch the Beldum at the end of my first run, and it turned out to be 4x31. After only 40 minutes of chaining.

Anyway, been chaining for about 45 minutes now, and nothing yet.

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
Just got a Lv100 shiny Rotom, holding Choice Scarf, perfect IVs, EV trained, everything. From a Wonder Trade. Lol.

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
So as I was hatching three random Cacnea eggs, to get some Cacnea in Moon Balls, I hatched a shiny one. Not even Masuda Method! And it was my first shiny hatched in SM :D

MrCoolViking

Aspiring Trainer
Got my first Shiny for the first time in a long time: While fishing for a Razor Fang I got a Shiny Lv. 17 Female Bruxish with Dazzling Ability. :D

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
So what's the best way to chain? I'm looking for Beldum (as I said previously), and I've been using an Adrenaline Orb, then killing the summons for 10 turns (or rather, until the current at-1-hp Beldum uses Take Down 10 times), then swapping the Beldum I'm targeting. Should I be swapping the targeted 'mon every time it's possible? Or does that not really matter?

Skyleaf2000

Resident UB Enthusiast
I've been doing some chaining while I've been gone.
The first one I caught entirely by accident, before I even got the Shiny charm. I had only gone around 30 into a Cubone chain looking for a female with good IVs, and a Shiny popped up! I named him Agrahar. He has perfect Attack and Speed. :)
My other Shiny took me three days to chain. A beautiful Shiny Rockruff, whom I named Kellie. I'd been wanting this Shiny for a long time, so I was very excited. XD
I'm currently chaining Togedemaru.

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
So what's the best way to chain? I'm looking for Beldum (as I said previously), and I've been using an Adrenaline Orb, then killing the summons for 10 turns (or rather, until the current at-1-hp Beldum uses Take Down 10 times), then swapping the Beldum I'm targeting. Should I be swapping the targeted 'mon every time it's possible? Or does that not really matter?

If you're not using a Recycle/Harvest strategy on the wild Pokemon your chaining; then make sure you keep a running total of PP for the moves the chaining Pokemon has left. Then before its PP hits zero; switch it out with another target and start again. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Constantly switching the target Pokemon does not effect the SOS Chain and the odds for a shiny appearing the next SOS call that I know of.

9Blades

Gym Leader of Water Types
I've caught a Growlithe, Exeggute, Feebas, and Dratini, all of which are now fully evolved though chaining. I've also hatched a Solosis and Deino. Also found a random Pelipper and A-Raticate in the wild, which is the first time I've found multiple random shinies in the same game. (Also chaining for a shiny Riolu at this very moment :p)

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
I've recently got my shiny hunting drive back, which have resulted in the following:
- A female Shiny Salandit (on the first try) through SOS
- A shiny Wimpod through Masuda
- A shiny Fletchling through SOS
- A shiny Oricorio through SOS
- A shiny Fomantis through SOS
- A shiny Diglett through SOS
- A shiny Gyarados through SOS
- Two shiny Eevee through SOS
- A shiny Mareanie (also on the first try) through SOS
- A shiny Dratini through SOS, which mean that I now have all three shiny members from that line :D

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
Just hatched a shiny Charmander on the first egg last night. And this morning I hatched a shiny Honedge. Both were Masuda.

TheRealBro..

- A female Shiny Salandit (on the first try) through SOS

That was pretty lucky ;)

It's pretty addicting hunting shinies through the SOS method. I finally got my shiny Elekid yesterday after three weeks of trying several hours.. Got two shiny Chansey's in the process, sigh. The first was nice, but the second? The chances of that happening are really really small because the chance of a Chansey (haha) appearing in an Elekid chain is only 5 percent.

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
Just encountered a full-odds shiny Magikarp about an hour ago. What is with my luck today... 3 shinies in a 24 hour period xD.

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Caught a Shiny female Snorunt (now Froslass) in a Love Ball -- my sixth full-odds Sun/Moon Shiny (and first Shiny of my second play-through)! :D

nYvvkix.jpg

I named her Neva. Terrible nature, but I'm not gonna let that stop me from using her. I've adored Froslass since the DP days (she's the reason I chose Ice as my favorite Type), so I've definitely got to squeeze her into my main team.

Last edited:

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
Trying to hatch a shiny Eevee, at 357 eggs hatched so far. And I have the dex completed and am using the masuda method x_x.

EDIT: I did hatch a shiny Sandygast, at 173 eggs. But this Eevee is proving to be troublesome >_<.

EDIT2: Shiny Sandygast pic:
http://imgur.com/a/Y1Tjt

Last edited:

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
Better watch out with those wonder trades if you want to play battle spot and stuff. Hacked for sure ;)

Yeah... I've gotten quite a few of those perfect IV Pokemon from wonder trade. Most likely hacked, but you can't be sure. Plus, I'm not so sure hacked 6x31 Pokemon are not allowed. If you have illegal movesets, that's not allowed. Don't quote me on the first thing though XD. (I don't even think you can trade illegal moveset Pokemon, even in wonder trade)

Also I just hatched a shiny Eevee at 421 eggs :D.

Image(s): http://imgur.com/a/vyWSJ

Last edited:

TheRealBro..

(I don't even think you can trade illegal moveset Pokemon, even in wonder trade)

Not really sure to be honest. Last gen it was definitely possible and I was banned at some point ;) This gen they seem to be more in control of it by only banning stuff that would not be possible in the regular game as you stated. Still, wonder trade (in stead of regular trades) allows you to trade anything I thought so better be careful. Maybe I'm wrong.

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
Not really sure to be honest. Last gen it was definitely possible and I was banned at some point ;) This gen they seem to be more in control of it by only banning stuff that would not be possible in the regular game as you stated. Still, wonder trade (in stead of regular trades) allows you to trade anything I thought so better be careful. Maybe I'm wrong.

Yeah I really don't know either... I just assumed that you couldn't trade hacked moveset Pokemon in WT. Maybe I'm wrong too.

Though the Rotom is actually possible to get to 6x31 and shiny, if you have enough luck. Trust me, there are people out there that get that lucky xD. (I'm looking at certain PokeMMO players... one guy got a 4x31 2x26+ Snorlax from the wild <_<)

Anyway, my hatched shinies seem to be getting later and later in the hatching process...
Charmander at 1 egg
Honedge at 28 eggs
Sandygast at 173 eggs
Eevee at 421 eggs

I wonder how long it will take me to hatch a shiny Rowlet xD.

solarbeam

Aspiring Trainer
I absolutely adore the SOS mechanic. Good IVs, Hidden Abilities, and shiny Pokemon all in one feature. Before Gen 7, I had never bothered to actually "hunt" for a shiny Pokemon, but it became my favorite postgame hobby in Moon. I've even gone so far as to train certain Pokemon to help hunt for specific shinies.

With that said, the first one I hunted for was my precious Lurantis, which I then used to help chain for more shinies. I now almost have an entire box full of shiny Pokemon.

One of my favorite captures was Alolan Sandshrew, because it took me 3 months to actually find it. What a pain it was too, with Hail, the Snow Cloak Ability, Swords Dance and Gyro Ball. I used my Keen Eye Sneasel to help handle the weather plus evasion (along with Eviolite since it's weak to Steel), and after several hundred Sandshrew knockouts, I finally found her.

Another one I like a lot is my shiny, Modest Nature Starmie with Analytic, which I use in competitive battles.