Contest PokéBeach Create-A-Card: June 2017 - Randommons - All Results Up!

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
Oh hey, has it really been two months since I've faked? Well, I've returned! :)

I got pretty lucky getting this one, seeing as it's one of the more interesting Pokémon from Gen VII. It took quite some time. I tried some new design choices and looked for (and thought up when I couldn't find) attack and ability ideas I hadn't used before, and I like how it all came together!

Palossand HP: 130 - Psychic
Stage 1 - Evolves from Sandygast
palossand.png

NO. 770 Sand Castle Pokémon HT: 4'03" WT: 551.2 lbs.

Ability - Sands of Ash
When this Pokémon is attacked, flip a coin. If heads, discard all Energy attached to your opponent's Active Pokémon.

[P][C] Haunted Reward 30+
This attack does 30 more damage for each Prize card your opponent has taken. Your opponent's Active Pokémon is now Confused.

Weakness: [P] x 2
Resistance: None
Retreat: [C][C][C]

Pokédex: Possessed people controlled by this Pokémon transformed its sand mound into a castle. As it evolved, its power to curse grew ever stronger.
Thoughts
So these kinds of cards are new to me. I tried to make this card more useful during the later game rather than the early game. Sands of Ash (obviously based on the shiny form) both give off a dark vibe and can disrupt your opponent. A curse often has elements of luck involved in it, and I think Sands of Ash shows that. Haunted Reward is super useful during the late game, but while you're setting up it's not very helpful, and rather ineffective.

Hope you guys like it, and I can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with this time around!

NinJamezor

We love Huntail
Here's my Entry!

InD0Zl6.png

Golduck SUM, Camerupt EX PRC, Volcanion EX STS, Yveltal XY, Serperior FAC

Last edited:

ZygardeChronicles

PMD5 when
Here's my entry!

Stage 2-Evolves from Cosmoem-Steel-Solgaleo-HP160

Ability: Full Metal Body
Prevent all effects of your opponent's attacks, except damage, done to this Pokémon.

[M][C] Solar Shred 60 Damage
If this Pokémon has any [R] Energy attached to it, discard the top card of your opponent’s deck. Then, discard all [R] Energy attached to this Pokémon.

Weakness: [R] x2
Resistance: [P] -20
Retreat: [C][C]
{It is said to live in another world. The intense light it radiates from the surface of its body can make the darkest of nights light up like midday.}
Wonder Energy (PRC)
Alolan Muk (SUM)

Deku

The Starving Artist
For some reason it didn't register in my mind that it's June and thus the card contest is open again. Welp, it's a good thing I do image based, sign me up please!

DashKing

Aspiring Trainer
Text Based Entry-
[/SPOILER
Kabutops GX- Fighting- HP230

Stage 1- Evolves from Kabuto

Ability: Prehistoric Rage:

If any Kabuto on your bench has any damage counters and your opponent’s Pokémon is knocked out from an attack of this Pokémon, take an extra prize card

[F] Primal Pierce: 50x

This attack does 50 times the number of Kabuto on your bench

[F] Ancient Call GX:

Search your deck for up to 5 Restored Pokémon and put them onto your bench. Shuffle your deck afterwards. (You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Weakness: Grass x2

Resistance: None

Retreat: [C][C][C]

When your Pokémon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Pokedex Entry:Kabutops swam underwater to hunt for its prey in ancient times. The Pokémon was apparently evolving from being a water dweller to living on land as evident from the beginnings of change in its gills and legs.

NOTE: I gave it 230 HP because the Pokémon it evolves from has 80hp, a little bit less than the middle evolution of GX Pokémon like Decidueye GX and Primarina GX.

Era: SUM-ON

]

professorlight

Ice Queen
q4ggCbA92uAoOBMvTXygMh38fo6tstfgeyCxA3bJdG9ikdmssrsLb9CT5NffVFavDKhlntyNzT_ym-cTbsEYzWkPMQC183Its3iuS3QxwbdReY-QZN4w-0JFRiTrVTmIDqUZNM-BuuRW8lMeXodvILwPu8CYgNNb4PwjVNKYkuGEPnAvM3DdCpEifpk9mbiyI4CWEJfMK5x0kDdyIzWgi3v6rZWt-40w3Nbfm1Anj8z5cs1DdhqWB5TLQpigYjvdxVyBdFduxdXbo6aR03Fhkz2LYeO7ZZ7sLSVlPJbkl6zmcQ6n_maHOsaLLypQwrHUH_DrDi8y6GD8I93quP5El-RM7_92vWkCZvMi0t6yAWwT5IWNVKuHMrCIeTHJlGnYO9oD-YKE5wIJxPf2yATtGHQaAbcd5PTNVaZOYbzfmXKFAL4OJTXxNkfwKz5sRJsvCTpTNWXSRIvug68cIKMq-g-XAmsx2U2RhZ6kvZ2V5xM54GRqY-8itaoOliCbi_tbgz8F7bZogSCOI-UnFPAtAigtx0798oabf5Mvxpw92Uk1wx3bjRRk1xFqWvdOTSKOFPUVd4QlME_ynCnAyJ8Z4GJWuek6JjTykn3h-mXB_Ebm59SC55kynq6pQcPsX7Dsm-FMCMshYgkiDu9P8nj9JPvtZqEY7D3jluH2WWfMOg=w661-h931-no

Now, now, I know this isn't very orthodox, but hear me out, I promise it makes sense.

I've helped CMP with a few spoilers recently, and in his list of ideas, there was one that called particularly my attention; it involved singing and a "lullaby counter"; it seemed to be a mechanic restricted to a single line, and I mentioned how fitting it would be for the Primarina line; of course, the spoilers for Primarina were already done, and they didn't really admit the mechanic. But, the idea remained; this isn't quite CMP's idea, though; all I took from there, so I wouldn't be taking it for myself, was the idea of a counter restricted to a single line; it had been done before, to an extent, in the EX era (Gardevoir Delta EX and Tyranitar Delta EX); in my search, I didn't find a more modern take on the counter mechanic (hence why I capitalize only "bubble"; those cards used "marker", but I'm taking them as a sort of equivalent to damage counters).

So that's the first unorthodox thing. The ability is self-explanatory; it also builds from the previous stages (which I also made), since the idea is that you use the attacks of the whole line to build up counters, and then get one free each turn if you get Primarina.

Now, the attack. One thing I liked for the attack was a Cadenza, an improvised musical passage where the singer displays their virtuosity; obviously the logical step was... well, to have Primarina improvise according to the situation: an attack with several tactical options.
Nothing like it had been done before, so I ended up just copying from the few trainers that did use the "choose one" approach. The text was reduced (again) and even then the original text was just too long, with five options; I put it together the best I could; it's basically one offensive option (which is two, for focused damage and spread damage), protection, and heal. I've doubted about the damage it can do, but I feel 20 should be enough so it isn't too strong with a few counters in play, but not too weak either. I'd have put more clauses and make it more flexible, but I was a little tight with the word count.

The double type is because, why not? besides, it's a better showcase of the blank than Gardevoir was, and I love the indigo-purple transition zone the W/Y double type gets.

Here's the original spoiler:
Primarina

Bubbly Aria
Once during your turn, you may put a Bubble counter on a Pokémon in play (yours or your opponent’s).
[W][W][Y] Cadenza Della Primadonna
Choose 1:
- This attack does 30 damage to the defending Pokémon for each Bubble Counter in play.
- For each Pokémon with at least 1 Bubble Counter on it, flip as many coins as Bubble Counters that pokémon has on it. For each tails, put 3 damage counters on that Pokémon and remove the Bubble Counter from it.
- You may remove 2 Bubble Counters in play. If you do this, ignore all damage done to this Pokémon during your opponent’s next turn.
- Heal 20 damage from each Pokémon in play for each Bubble Counter on that Pokemon. Then, remove those Bubble Counters from that Pokémon.
- You may discard a [W]Energy attached to this Pokémon. If you do so, you may put up to 3 Bubble Counters on the Pokémon in play, in any way you like.

And the others, which I'll do... eventually.
Popplio

[W] Balloon Toss
You may put a Bubble Counter on a Pokémon in play (yours or your opponent’s).
[W] Bubble Burst 20
If the Defending Pokémon has a Bubble Counter on it, flip a coin. If heads, the Defending Pokémon is now Paralyzed. Then, remove that Bubble Counter.

Brionne
[W] Bubbles!
You may discard a [W] Energy attached to this Pokémon. If you do so, you may put up to 2 Bubble counters on the Pokémon in play, in any way you like.
[W][C] Bubble Whirlwind 10x
This attack does 10 dmage times the amount of Bubble Counters on your opponent’s Pokémon. After doing damage, put those Bubble counters in your opponent’s Pokémon in any way you want.

I... think that's all.

Tails19950

Aspiring Trainer
I'd love to enter for image!! It's my first attempt at making a GX card, I hope you all like!!
This took me ages to design and draw! It's very different to my usual style of art
Dragonair GX Final.jpg

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I'd love to enter for image!! It's my first attempt at making a GX card, I hope you all like!!
This took me ages to design and draw! It's very different to my usual style of art
View attachment 13600

Hey Tails! It's super awesome to see that you'd like to enter, however since this month's theme is Randommons, you'll need to be sent three randomly generated Pokemon, and then base your entry out of one of these three. You might even get lucky and roll Dragonair, beating the odds of a 0.004% chance! If not, everyone's favourite dragon-snake might just fit the theme for next month. ;)

Tails19950

Aspiring Trainer
Hey Tails! It's super awesome to see that you'd like to enter, however since this month's theme is Randommons, you'll need to be sent three randomly generated Pokemon, and then base your entry out of one of these three. You might even get lucky and roll Dragonair, beating the odds of a 0.004% chance! If not, everyone's favourite dragon-snake might just fit the theme for next month. ;)
Ooops!! I am so sorry!!! I should've read more!

Can I please be sent names?? I'd love to enter :)

aschefield101

is behind you !
taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaails! Amaze Dragonair! Dragons Wish needs to line up with the ability name, SM has all attacks in the same place now :)

Haunted Water

DEFT Lunar
I'm going to have to drop out for the rest of the month. I do apologize, but I have to finish up job searching and a four hour trek up north next week while working 10 hours will leave me pretty much tied up when it comes to trying to do this.

Yog

Rogue
Okay, so I had a choice here between Gyarados, Venipede or Incineroar. And being how I tend to make GX cards and have a frame all set up for those, I decided the choice was obvious:

PEQPXiU.png

XHVxb5b.png

but really, Gyarados has enough cards, and Incineroar is maybe my least favourite Alolan, the ugly git. And there's never been a bug Venipede, only poison ones. And the Scolipede line in the new set is distinctly underwhelming. Sooo, here's a bug version. Get those FoGP/Revitiliser synergies into effect.

Since it can now take advantage of FoGP to get up to it's higher evolutions, I wanted to give it an ability that happens on playing it down. At the same time, it's kept in check a little, because in Grass decks where there may be a tendency to flood the bench as quickly as possible, well is there much point putting more than one of these into play in a turn? It would be a resource wasted. In this way it could potentially be a stand-alone card, used as a partner for Alolan Muk-GX or some similar archetype. Toxicroak STS anyone?

Assumedly it's higher Evolutions will have something similar to their old cards, Scolipede might have one of those "If your opponent is poisoned, this attack does x more damage", so it ties in to its own motif in that way. They might not even both be grass, a lá Vikavolt's recent line.

I wanted the attack to be difficult, and not very beneficial, since the ability is really good in specific situations. An awkwardly high energy cost for a basic, that does zero damage and just protects from weak attacks seemed about right. Really you are supposed to be dropping it for it's ability, then racing up to the higher evos via FoGP, or trying to pick it back up somehow.
The best thing about it is the name. Geddit? Geddit?? Alt name: You're Chitin Me. The wording for that was actually a bit tricky. Some things seem to have changed between say, this Nuzleaf and this new Cutiefly. Hopefully it's correct.

I've pitched it at 70hp since it's supposed to be a tough little bugger compared to most. Retreat cost of 1, and the weakness to fire and no resistance. All pretty standard for basic bugs. bar the extra few HP. So many things hit for 60 nowadays. Chalk it up to power creep.

The image comes courtesy of FourEyedAlien over on DeviantArt. She doesn't actually use the place any more, I had to chase her down on twitter to get permission to use it :D I love the little models like this you get on some cards though, they are too cute. She actually sculpted this, and took the photo too, so kudos to her. I did a small bit of editing on the image, just to make it pop a little more.

The ever useful @aschefield101 's symbols are used here and there. BUT! Everything else was made by me. I got inspired by the Pidgeot fallout last month to make my own. The card, the template, the textures, the frames, the ability flash, the holosheet etc etc., all my own work. Part of my not making a GX card was so I would get the finger out and make my very own template. It's not picture perfect, but it's pretty damn accurate. Plus now I can play much more easily with each layer and frame if ever I need to tweak things. Proud of me <3 Of course that probably means there are tons of errors so be as harsh as you like with the critique judges, if things need fixing before future cards, now is the time to do it. Shout out at @Edwin Santander too, for the reminder of just how hot a good looking foil card can be.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I'm going to have to drop out for the rest of the month. I do apologize, but I have to finish up job searching and a four hour trek up north next week while working 10 hours will leave me pretty much tied up when it comes to trying to do this.
Sorry to hear that, Haunted! We hope to see you around next month.

This does mean, however, that there's one more spot open for the text-based portion! Don't miss out! ^.^