News 8-Minute 'Pokémon Direct' Tomorrow!

Hemos

The demonic Shadow Lugia/Mystical Raven Witch
I'd love to see some information on Pokémon Stars. Or maybe a Switch port of the Pokémon TCGO.

Draskk

Blast From The Past
Wasn't that the Magikarp Jump game that came out recently?

I'd imagine this is either something for the Switch or Diamond & Pearl remakes.
Aw man! I wanted TCGO for phones :T

A Diamond and Pearl remake sounds cool though. I know exactly nothing about the Switch but I do know they get alot of hype, so that is probably the most likely thing as they'd profit so much.

Mitja

veteran smartass
I can't help but feel like you've hit the nail on the head. They didn't want to do Z because, according to Masuda, they wanted to surprise fans and do the unexpected. Linked the interview for anyone interested.

I also agree that it's a bad thing. Z could've been a perfect place to expand upon not just the Kalos region (which, while not necessarily my own opinion, many fans found lacking), but Zygarde itself. The Zygarde quest in SM was something, but I can't help but feel like it deserved something more than just a sidequest in a later generation.

I was confused about XY not having a follow-up when SM got revealed, but then I got excited about it when we started to see that Zygarde would play a role anyway.
It made me expect SM to be both, a new generation AND a follow-up to XY. But then it turned out Zygarde was seriously just put in with its cell-collecting sidequest and not even a mention of Kalos, the XY-mascots, or freaking anything, and that felt way too random... SM turned out to be no follow-up to XY in any way whatsoever, which was quite a bummer.

(I don't wanna sound like a complete cynic and downer though, so let me state that SM did have strengths and really nice things going on in other aspects of the game and I enjoyed playing through them.)

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
maybe gold, silver and crystal download for 3ds

That's possible; if you go from the standpoint that Gen II is the only Generation that cannot communicate with the current Generation in one way, shape, or form. Although, I'm not quite sure.

Perhaps Nintendo would want to do a possible Gen II VC release a little bit closer to 2019 (20th Anniversary of the release of Gold and Silver in Japan).

Lostlorn Forest

Alola is the best region
People still hyping up this "Pokemon Stars" thing. Even after years of hyping Pokemon Z (even after Delta Emerald was trademarked). I'd be interested to see if it will be a Switch game, but the production no doubt would take much longer than it would on the 3DS, so it's too early. They probably want to keep it handheld and accessible anyway.

DeepSleepDarkrai

Aspiring Trainer
3ds=$249.99 when it first came out Switch $299.99 it's really not that different. Not only that but the first Pokémon 3ds game was Gates to Infinity. So what if this announcement is for a new mystery dungeon game!!!! The answer is in front of us though with Monster Hunter and that's cross play between the 3ds and Switch. So probably Pokémon Sun 2 and Moon 2

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
3ds=$249.99 when it first came out Switch $299.99 it's really not that different. Not only that but the first Pokémon 3ds game was Gates to Infinity. So what if this announcement is for a new mystery dungeon game!!!! The answer is in front of us though with Monster Hunter and that's cross play between the 3ds and Switch. So probably Pokémon Sun 2 and Moon 2
They cut the 0rice of 3ds 80 dollars after 4 months likely because it was not selling like they wanted. That's not gonna happen with the switch

JakeSM7

Aspiring Trainer
Well I have several ideas. Pokepark 3, mystery dungeon, Pokken tournament, dp or bw remake, stars? Which would you guys think it would be?

Mitja

veteran smartass
kinds_of_generations_by_saiph_charon-dbbnw1j.png

Just made this picture. A sort of overview on what kind of generations we've had so far

Basically, my "fear" is that we're going straight down on the right edge from now, which is the least interesting part of the spectrum to me.
I'm not requesting that the next generation be straight below BW, but we really need to go somewhat left from SM...

...just realized that only RS got really close to the middle ground (a generation that's a soft reboot but also not alienating old fans too much), I always expected that we will be drifting closer and closer to the center with each generation, so that's kind of strange.

Last edited:

the real spheal

Aspiring Trainer
I bet they are making a game called Pokémon Spheal and it is where you have a Spheal and it battles legendary Pokemon and always wins.

Mitja

veteran smartass
Have you ever played a Switch? You can have multiple accounts on your Switch (just like on the Wii U), so you can have as many save files as you want.

but why bring up switch in the first place? i dont see the relevance if this news is going to be about a main title from gamefreak. (if it turns out to be some spin-off, then sure, could be anything)

they have set such solid ground on the 3DS with SM, it's a great opportunity to make another game for it, where they can focus their development on plot, content and new pokemon.. why is anyone suggesting they would abandon the real handheld and instead start reinventing the whole game from scratch for the console, which has less users and excludes 3DS-users (whereas a 3DS game could be ported to include switch users...this is a no-brainer really.), especially at this golden moment?

ZygardeGuy

Baba ba wawa ha ha ba ba
I think it is definitely a game announcement. My guess would be
1. DP Remake
2. SuMo 3rd Wheel Reveal
3. Marshadow stuff
4. Alolan Geodude

Professor Palutena

The Queen
There is so much material in the SM data that suggests some sort of cross platform with 3DS/Switch seems like the most likely scenario. We have walking models and, most importantly, local multiplayer between 3DS and Switch is totally possible. SM also barely used it's second screen for any sort of relevant gameplay, which makes an adaptation to Switch so easy. I feel like I don't need to justify this being for 3DS because it's the most likely scenario. New 2DS makes sense with a new Pokemon game coming for it, as the 2DS is designed for those younger kids that are the target audience for the game and console.

However, we already know that Pokemon is coming to the Switch in some capacity; it is only a question of when. GameFreak has also said that they were already developing for the Switch and they were recently hiring "for a RPG game that is popular on a global scale" for a "console".. It doesn't take much of an IQ to realize that Pokemon is what they're talking about. The 3DS is 5 years old at this point; it's on it's last legs and that is why Nintendo isn't talking about it at E3 next week (all of their plans are for Switch because the future of the company is Switch).

DeepSleepDarkrai

Aspiring Trainer
but why bring up switch in the first place? i dont see the relevance if this news is going to be about a main title from gamefreak. (if it turns out to be some spin-off, then sure, could be anything)

they have set such solid ground on the 3DS with SM, it's a great opportunity to make another game for it, where they can focus their development on plot, content and new pokemon.. why is anyone suggesting they would abandon the real handheld and instead start reinventing the whole game from scratch for the console, which has less users and excludes 3DS-users (whereas a 3DS game could be ported to include switch users...this is a no-brainer really.), especially at this golden moment?

I'll tell you why the Switch keeps being brought up in one word. Nintendo. Nintendo owns 1/3rd of Game Freak and Nintendo needs the Switch to be a big hit in the fall, and that would make the holiday a huge win with Mario Odyssey closing out 2017 for the Switch. I'm not saying that they are leaving the 3DS behind I'm just saying that it makes sense to release for both.