• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard I need help setting up a standard deck format

K9ForLife

Aspiring Trainer
Hey there!
I'm new to forums and new to creating standard decks by certain types. I typically run an extended deck using psychic and water types. I've been using Espeon GX and EX and Ninetales GX. Please help me with recommendations or suggestions on starting a standard. Extended input is always welcome. Thanks :)

K9

Hey there!
I'm new to forums and new to creating standard decks by certain types. I typically run an extended deck using psychic and water types. I've been using Espeon GX and EX and Ninetales GX. Please help me with recommendations or suggestions on starting a standard. Extended input is always welcome. Thanks :)

K9

Not sure this is the right forum for this question, but I will answer it anyway.

Standard is actually a fair bit easier to deck build than expanded because the card list is drastically reduced. You don't have to think about things like "do I want 2 N or 3 N" because cards like Colress and Ghetsis aren't available alternatives to take those slots.

Basically, the core for almost all standard decks remains largely unchanged even after GUR. Obviously there are exceptions to every one of these counts, but this is a pretty solid core deck to build almost anything around in Standard.

1-4 Shaymin EX
1-3 Tapu Lele GX
4 Sycamore
3 N (I have started swapping this count with the Sycamore count specifically to deal with Sylveon decks)
2 Lysandre
1-3 "one of" supporters of "insert deck need here," but usually consisting of Hex Maniac, another Lysandre, another N, Team Flare Grunt, Delinquent, Olympia, Lillie, or Pokemon Ranger. There are others that see situational play as well, but those are the main techs. Some new ones I see a lot more are Brigette and Pokemon Fan Club.
4 Ultra Ball
4 VS Seeker
2-4 Trainer's Mail
2-6 Tools depending on the deck
1-2 Field Blower
8-11 Energy of whatever type or combination is needed
2-4 Stadiums (usually 3)

Hope that helps :)

Thanks for your answer.
So if I build a deck around Espeon GX and Ninetales GX using those cards, it would be strong, right?

Thanks for your answer.
So if I build a deck around Espeon GX and Ninetales GX using those cards, it would be strong, right?

It would be a very normal place to start. Where things get interesting is when you add the flavor to how you want to approach the deck. For example with something like Expeon GX. Do you want to play it with Garbodor? Do you want Wobbuffet? Which stadium do you want to use with it. Those are all key decisions. But a basic Espeon GX list looks like this:

Pokemon 16
4 Eevee
3 Espeon GX
3 Trubbish
3 Gardobor (GUR)
2 Tapu Lele GX
1 Shaymin EX

Trainers 33 (11-13-3-6)
4 Professor Sycamore
4 N (people will disagree with this count, but I think it is the second best way to counter Sylveon GX)
2 Lysandre
1 Hex Maniac (T1, this is *the* best way to counter Sylveon GX)

4 Ultra Ball
4 VS Seeker
3 Trainer's Mail
1 Field Blower
1 Rescue Stretcher

3 Alter of the Moone

3 Choice Band
3 Float Stone

Energy 11
7 Psychic Energy (might be high, but I am throwing this together on the fly)
4 Double Colorless Energy

Back