News Japan's SM3 Sets for the 20th Movie Feature Ho-Oh and Necrozma!

Tri2attack

"Guzma for game."-every close game
My Beware Binder is almost full... I Need to make more room. I already have 4 pages full.

CESit

Aspiring Trainer
Your reply is drenched in bias, but I'll attempt to explain this one last time.

Basis for my opinion:
Giratina is not overpowered, because it's strengths only cater to specific niches.
As such, it can only ever be a supporting attacker.
A lot of decks have supporting attackers, but most do not use Giratina.

This is because it needs DDE to keep up, and the natural state of the meta allows players to play around the card.

Hex Maniac is not run because of Giratina.
Hex Maniac is run because it shuts off a lot of cards in the meta; same reason why people are running Wobb and Silent Lab.
Giratina being affected by this is another reason why the card is good, not the only reason.

Giratina as an Attacker:
Total energy cost = 4
Total attachments = 2-3
Potential damage = 100-130 (with Band)
Potential HP = 170-210 (with FFB)

These statistics are all average, or below average.
The effect of the attack is what makes the attack "good."

If you take away the effect, or take away DDE, the attack is no longer good.
The damage is outpaced by other Pokemon already (Lurantis, Volcanion, etc.)
These Pokemon also do not use special energy, and as such, will be able to outpace it even with the effect.

Giratina as a Wall:
Giratina is not effected by...
Megas
EXs
Basics
Evolution Pokemon
GXs

Being able to wall something is a "good" ability.
However, Giratina's walling is very situational.
and, unfortunately... Every competitively viable Mega will OHKO it when it's ability is off.
Mega Rayquaza, potential damage = 30-240
Mega Mewtwo, potential damage = 70+ (with Giratina's 4 energy cost, it will be OHKOd at it's base HP)
Mega Gardevoir, potential damage = 110-190x2 (Weakness)

Because of this, Giratina is not a reliable wall, and is mostly just used to hold DDEs.
It's attack and ability are what make it (arguably) the best dragon to do so.

You don't run Giratina to wall Megas, you run Giratina because it's a "good" card that can hold DDEs to boost your attack.
This is why we don't see solo-dragon decks.
They all need DDE, and most of them cannot keep up with opposing attackers as it is.
Cards like Giratina and Salamence are strong because of the meta.
They do well in very specific situations, and are able to hold DDE.
With these things combined, people have deemed them viable.
While they may see play in decks without DDE (Salamence in Volcanion), those are usually considered worse and/or less consistent variants.

I hope my post has allowed you to see the flaws of Giratina, and understand why it is a balanced card.
If not, then I have unfortunately wasted my time.

Either way, I feel like I cannot explain this with anymore clarity; so this will be my last statement on the matter~

Your post is absolutely right, but to be fair on occasion we have seen decks other than just darktina perform. Toadtina had 3 top 8 finishes in Toronto - and Reshitina won a slightly less than 300 person regional in Brazil. Toadtina is meta specific now because it has lost a lot of comparative power and that Reshitina was for a specific meta. Giratina isn't "Great" - its ok at the moment at best for all the reasons you have stated because it is primarily a niche card atm

ZygardeGuy

Baba ba wawa ha ha ba ba
Your post is absolutely right, but to be fair on occasion we have seen decks other than just darktina perform. Toadtina had 3 top 8 finishes in Toronto - and Reshitina won a slightly less than 300 person regional in Brazil. Toadtina is meta specific now because it has lost a lot of comparative power and that Reshitina was for a specific meta. Giratina isn't "Great" - its ok at the moment at best for all the reasons you have stated because it is primarily a niche card atm
What is "Reshtina?" How does it work?

Rotom Dex PokeFinder blahblahblah: This is literally just Pokedex -1. Next!
Bewear: How many Bewears do we need?!
I actually find this card to be better than Pokedex. 5 is a lot of cards so you night as well have 4, but if they are all trash, which happens a lot, you can whisk them away into your deck in hopes of a better draw!;)

Last edited by a moderator:

ProcInc

Aspiring Trainer
Anybody know off hand the last time a Pokémon got 3 prints in a row?

I don't mind as long as a decent variety of Pokemon, especially neglected, end up represented in SM too

Kyrushi

Squirrel
Please name a dragon type Pokemon that would be viable on a competitive level without DDE.
Somewhat related, Goodra from Ancient Origins and Guardians Rising both have a gimmick that doesn't rely on having specific types. AO requiring 2 colorless to bench snipe 20 x their retreat cost (something I run with Aqua Base, Boundaries Crossed Jellicent, Glaceon EX, and Manaphy EX) and GR requires one colorless and does 20 damage times the number of energy on it to a pokemon. The latter definitely PREFERS to have DDE, but it's not a requirement. They both appreciate being supported with other Waters and Faries, however. That's how I feel Dragons were supposed to fit in.

I don't argue that these can be run on a competitive level -- I run very silly deck ideas with Pokemon I like aesthetically. As i've ran them, Dragons are just partners with the two types they require and even then I know DDE is the main thing letting them attack as fast as I need them to.

TheRealPoots

Aspiring Trainer
This card is absolutely disgusting! Yes, it is a stage 1 (still really easy to get on the board) and DDE is rotating out of standard. It doesn't really matter as important tournaments will be expanded (also rumors of Special DDE in burning shadows) and even then playing both dark and psychic energies is not a big deal for a card this strong. Everybody hated Seismitoad, so much that people started playing it reluctantly just to be able to win. What is Pokemon's next priority you ask? Release a better version of the most hated card in history!! With the first attack having 20 additional damage, an amazing second attack that will be underrated until we see some actual gameplay and a very decent GX for such an already-too-powerful card: this is undeniable proof Pokemon doesn't care about the fanbase that actually plays the cards, they just want to make pretty cards for collectors. The fact that this card has no retreat cost is just like throwing sand on the wound and rubbing it in with sandpaper. I am absolutely flabbergasted and I really don't have much else to say but this: Broken card that will ruin standard and expanded altogether. Thanks whoever designs those cards -- you should retire.

1) is a Stage 1 card
2) does not work with a DCE
3) terrible GX attack
This card is too slow and will not survive in the new Araquanid/Meowth meta.

Match-up vs Araquanid: bad. Araquanid can power up T1 and stop Noivern GX from being able to attach any Energy it needs to be able to attack. Araquanid is also dealing 30 damage a turn, so anyone playing Noivern *has* to have something on the bench to switch out, or Araquanid will kill Noivern GX in 8 turns, and net *two* prizes.

Match-up vs Meowth: even worse. Meowth, paired w/Victini, has a better than 50% chance of Paralysing Noivern. That means Noivern can't retreat, either. Pair it with Hammers and you have a sitting duck. Meowth gets 2 prizes in 20 turns.
How can you say this card is too slow when you are comparing it with 20 turns strategies?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nyora

A Cat
Your completely right and I despise that. I WANT A COMPETITIVE HEATMOR CMON! I mean, they gave us a good Tauros card, why not Heatmor? :(

the real spheal

Aspiring Trainer
The wording is really interesting on Heatmor's first attack. Shouldn't it be more like:

Flip 2 coins. For each heads, reveal a card from your discard pile and put it onto your hand.

Although I'm not a Pokémon Card Faker like the Flying Pidove, so I can't be sure of the wording. Lots of cards in SM1 and SM2 have had different wordings than cards from Black and White and XY.

Kietharr

Aspiring Trainer
It's not good but keep in mind Bunnelby is leaving us with rotation, this becomes the best replacement for that effect.

Seviper is the more interesting card that I've seen today.

chella182

Aspiring Trainer
The wording is really interesting on Heatmor's first attack. Shouldn't it be more like:

Flip 2 coins. For each heads, reveal a card from your discard pile and put it onto your hand.

Although I'm not a Pokémon Card Faker like the Flying Pidove, so I can't be sure of the wording. Lots of cards in SM1 and SM2 have had different wordings than cards from Black and White and XY.
It's implied that when you take a card from your discard pile you show it to your opponent, since discard pile is public knowledge. They have changed and (in my opinion) improved some of the wording on the cards for Sun & Moon.

CrownXY

as brave as a talonflame
only one question to that seviper "CAN IT STACK? CAN IT STACK?"
toxicroack doesn't look real good . 2 psychic energy and a colorless for 160 and even removes poison. DCE would have been better but still not meta.