• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard The Electrifying Creepshow(Tapu-Koko/Gengar)

mrfr1day

Aspiring Trainer
With the upcoming Tapu-Koko card(Non-GX) it just became so much easier to set up Creepshow Gengar. Tapu-Koko does 20 damage to EACH pokemon. Awesome. So here is an early build of the deck. Would love some feedback.

3 tapu koko
9 G/H/Gengar (BreakThrough)
1 eevee
1 espeon gx
2 shaymin
1 tapu lele

17 Pokemon

3 N
3 Sycamore
2 Lycandre
2 Floatstone
1 Switch
1 teammates
2 level ball
2 timer ball
4 ultra ball
4 trainer's mail
4 Vs Seeker
3 rare candy

31 Trainers

4 DCE
8 Psychic

12 Energies

I suspect Tapu Koko (non-GX) will become popular and used in some other decks too. As a result, you may find increased use of Mr. Mime (Bench Barrier) which will counter the bench damage.

With your "high" item count, you may want to consider incorporating a Lillie for additional Supporter-based card-draw.

Why no Stadiums?

Last edited:
I suspect Tapu Koko (non-GX) will become popular and used in some other decks too. As a result, you may find increased used of Mr. Mime (Bench Barrier) which will counter the bench damage.

With your "high" item count, you may want to consider incorporating a Lillie for additional Supporter-based card-draw.

Why no Stadiums?
Isn't Mr. Mime rotating? (EDIT: So is gengar nvm) However, the Machoke with the Intimidating Stance ability would do the same thing, I guess. I think a good stadium to use would be Team Magma's base so that you wouldnt have to use gengars first attack once. Hope this helps!

Isn't Mr. Mime rotating? (EDIT: So is gengar nvm) However, the Machoke with the Intimidating Stance ability would do the same thing, I guess. I think a good stadium to use would be Team Magma's base so that you wouldnt have to use gengars first attack once. Hope this helps!
The Mr. Mime I referenced is from the Breakthrough set, and I'm not sure what exact sets are truly rotating - there's speculation, but nothing official has been announced yet to my knowledge.

The Altar of the Moone Stadium ("The Retreat Cost of each Pokemon (both yours and your opponent’s) that has any [P] or [D] Energy attached to it is [C][C] less.") would be a good option for your deck too.

The Mr. Mime I referenced is from the Breakthrough set, and I'm not sure what exact sets are truly rotating - there's speculation, but nothing official has been announced yet to my knowledge.

The Altar of the Moone Stadium ("The Retreat Cost of each Pokemon (both yours and your opponent’s) that has any [P] or [D] Energy attached to it is [C][C] less.") would be a good option for your deck too.
Atlar of the Moone would be a good choice except both Tapu Koko and Gengar have free retreat, and I wonder if BREAKthrough will rotate? Now that I think about its one of my favourite sets :(. Also, like TuxedoBlack said, I think more supporter-based draw would be good. I would take out one Trainer's Mail for another Sycamore.

Also, I would decide between either using a full-on rare candy build or a Haunter build for its ability. Here is what I would change:

-2 Haunter.
+1 Rare Candy
+1 Wobbuffet. This is here for those pesky Decidueye/Vileplume decks. If they shut down your Rare Candys, they win. That simple.
-2 Level Ball
-1 Trainer's Mail.
+3 Team Magma's Secret Base. If you get one of these out and they don't bump it, then you won't have to use Sinister Fog once.
-1 N
+1 Sycamore. Just my playstyle, it's your deck.
-2 Float Stone
+2 Captivating Poke Puff. They might hide pokemon in their hand to get around Team Magma's Base. Plus, these work with Team Magma's Base, they had a ruling on it. That way they wont even be able to bump it. Also, Tapu Koko and Gengar both have free retreat, and you still have a Switch in case of the Shaymin/Tapu Lele start.

Hope this helps! :D

I think maybe you should consider a different route with this one. You need time to set up a S2 Gengar (at least 2 turns). Until you get it set up, you are basically a sitting duck for Deciplume. At the risk of sounding like I am hopping on the Wobbuffet bandwagon, I am hopping on the Wobbuffet bandwagon for this deck LOL!

I would suggest dumping
1 Eevee
1 Espeon
2 Shaymin
2 Timer Ball
1 Trainer's Mail

add the following:
+4 Wobbuffet (you really want to start with it - if you only want 3 that frees up another slot, so I would play with the count)
+2 Float Stone (you really need to get it out of active) OR 1 Float Stone + 1 Switch/Escape Rope
+1 Tapu Lele (i think 2 of these might be optimal in this deck because it operates under Wobb's ability lock meaning you should be able to retrieve the draw supporter of choice 1-2 times per game)

This strategy is missing the "spread the damage around" aspect of Espeon GX, but I am not sure you need it. Two swings with Koko on most decks is enough to set up Gengar and Lele acts as your muscle if you happen to need it. Also, Wobbuffet becomes a surprisingly effective attacker in this deck as well since theoretically you should be spreading enough damage that Wobb's attack actually starts to hurt. Basically, I think this particular deck makes life somewhat miserable for Deciplume. It might also stop Volcanion dead in its tracks until you are ready to start spreading as well.

I agree with the others on needing a stadium of some kind. I suspect you can drop your Psychic energy count down to 6 (I am not familiar with Tapu Koko's attack, but I assume it requires a DCE to use). None of the other attackers on the list are heavy energy users (outside of potentially Lele if you decide to stack one up). So, what I am driving at is that I think you can get away with 6 Psychic and add 2 of the stadium of your choice. As others have mentioned, Alter of the Moone would work seamlessly with this strategy because it provides Wobbuffet with another retreat option that doesn't require a Float Stone / Switch to achieve. With only two stadiums, you might struggle to keep your stadium up meaning I would still keep the float stones just to make sure you have the out you need. But I think this has potential to be a killer deck that just needs a little set up time.

If you are running a lot of damage spread, it might not be a bad idea to tech in an Espeon EX. Miraculous Shine for one energy and devolve all your opponents pokemon. Once you have some damage spread out you can wipe out most of the bench with in one shot. Won a match at league last night exactly this way by wiping out 3 Deciduieye that each had 90 damage on them for the last 2 prizes.

Also this is just an idea but a version of this with the new Trevenant, to the Trevenant Break would be good as well.

Only problem I see is if new Garb is as popular as what some think it will be this deck will be an auto loss to it. The same can be said for a lot of decks with heavy item counts though.

Thanks everyone for the input! Can't wait to start testing this deck!
Why wait?? Just use proxies for the time being and play-test, refine your list (with more proxies, if need be), and play-test more till you've finalized your list. Then get the needed cards to complete you deck.

Why wait?? Just use proxies for the time being and play-test, refine your list (with more proxies, if need be), and play-test more till you've finalized your list. Then get the needed cards to complete you deck.
Yeah, definitely dude! I'd use proxies before even buying the cards just to make sure everything's "up to snuff". I'm gonna be using proxies to test my Vespiquen variants before choosing one.

Here's my updated list:

3 tapu koko
7 G/H/Gengar (3-1-3)
3 Wobbuffet
3 tapu lele
16 Pokemon

3 N
3 Sycamore
3 Lysandre
2 Floatstone
1 Switch
1 teammates
2 level ball
2 Altar of the moone
4 ultra ball
3 trainer's mail
3 Vs Seeker
3 rare candy
1 rescue strecher
1 hex maniac
1 special energy charge
33 Trainers

4 DCE
7 Psychic
11 Energies

Notes*
-I feel like the 3 Lysandre is important to get knockouts that matter. Thoughts?

- Thinking about adding Field Blower for our MUs with decks that run rough seas. I don't know what to cut though

-Also thought about running 1 Tauros GX and 1 Ninja boy. Again. I don't know what to cut.

Last edited:
- 2 Level Ball (4 Ultra Ball + 3 Trainer's Mail, you should be fine, you would only use these for gastly and maybe haunter.)
- 1 Lysandre (You're running 3 Vs seeker, you should be good.)
- 1 Tapu Lele GX ( You don't want to fill you're bench with Lele, you'll draw into your supporters, tapu lele is there if you dont. Let alone, your 3 Vs Seeker)
+ 2 Field Blower ( To get rid of pesky stadiums and choice bands)
+ 2 Energy Loto ( This will allow you look at the top 7 cards of your deck and take an energy, letting you to pull out Double Colorless Energy quicker.)

Here's my updated list:

3 tapu koko
7 G/H/Gengar (3-1-3)
3 Wobbuffet
3 tapu lele
16 Pokemon

3 N
3 Sycamore
3 Lysandre
2 Floatstone
1 Switch
1 teammates
2 level ball
2 Altar of the moone
4 ultra ball
3 trainer's mail
3 Vs Seeker
3 rare candy
1 rescue strecher
1 hex maniac
1 special energy charge
33 Trainers

4 DCE
7 Psychic
11 Energies
In regards to your most recent revised deck list:
  • Why only run 3 Tapu Koko? A 4th gives you a better chance of starting with 1. (Consider -1 Tapu Lele GX for +1 Tapu Koko)
  • Since your 1-2 Tapu Koko will need to be potentially sacrificed, consider incorporating an Ace Trainer in order to you to disrupt your opponent's hand, but gives you a chance to draw a full hand. (Consider -1 N for +1 Ace Trainer)
  • 3 Lysandre seem excessive even if you play in an Item-locking popular area. Consider replacing 1 of the Lysandre with a 2nd Hex Maniac - which will give you an opportunity to play your Items again - even retrieving another Lysandre ("3rd" perhaps).
  • How about replacing the Switch with an Olympia which can be reused via VS Seeker?
  • I'd also suggest keeping the 2 Level Balls which provide you more "outs" to get Gastlys and Haunter into play than just the 4 Ultra Balls.
  • Should you need to burn through too much of your P energy early game, you may find that Brock's Grit or Super Rod provides you more versatility than Rescue Stretcher.
-I feel like the 3 Lysandre is important to get knockouts that matter. Thoughts?
Refer to my above comment (3rd bullet point).
- Thinking about adding Field Blower for our MUs with decks that run rough seas. I don't know what to cut though.
Consider -1 P energy assuming you also incorporate a Brock's Grit or Super Rod as mentioned above (6th bullet point).
-Also thought about running 1 Tauros GX and 1 Ninja boy. Again. I don't know what to cut.
Consider -2 Wobbuffet which I believe would still give you 10 or 11 Basic Pokémon.

I hope you find these comments helpful.

Back