• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Tapu Koko (non-GX)/Team Magma's Base/Wide Lense/Honchkrow GUR

Draskk

Blast From The Past
Hey everyone! This is a deck that i've been toying with for a while, and I think it is pretty good. The idea is to use Tapu Koko and Team Magma's Base to damage spread, with Wide Lense allowing you to hit Benched Shaymins for weakness, and then to easily one-shot opponent mons with Honchkrow. So, say your opponent has three pokemon on the Bench. They all took damage from Team Magma's Secret Base, which amounts to a total of 60 damage. Now it's your turn. Tapu Koko then adds twenty more damage to that, dealing 20 to their Active and 20 to their benched 'mons, for a total of 140. Honchkrow's damage output is now 150. With a Wide Lense on Tapu Koko, Team Magma's Base in play, and them Benching a Shaymin, Honchkrow is now one-shotting a Mega Mewtwo by your second turn. Yeah, I thought that was pretty good. There are certainly counters, but an unprepared opponent could get absolutely wrecked. Here's my list:

Pokemon (16):

4x Tapu Koko
4x Honchkrow
4x Murkrow
2x Tapu Lele-GX
2x Shaymin-EX

Trainers (40)

4x Sycamore
2x N
3x Lysandre (Lysandring a useless Pokemon can get you another turn out of a Tapu Koko, and gets you what you want to kill with Honchkrow.
1x Hex Maniac (ITEM LOCK WHY)
1x Mallow (Extremely useful with Trainer's Mail and Energy Lotto in the deck.)
1x Lillie (Great on the first turn.)
3x Trainer's Mail
4x VS Seeker
4x Ultra Ball
2x Energy Lotto
3x Bursting Balloon (if your opponent doesn't use Shaymin, this is the next-best thing.)
3x Wide Lense
2x Switch
2x Special Charge
1x Rescue Stretcher
4x Team Magma's Secret Base

Energy (4):

4x Double Colorless Energy (this works fine in Vespiquen decks, without Energy Lotto, and without ridiculous amounts of draw power, so I think it will be fine.)

Please let me know what you think, and suggestions are always appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

Vitiel

Mush. Up!
Without basic energy, Rescue Stretcher is strictly superior to Super Rod.

This is a neat build, though! It's a concept I've definitely wanted to toy with.

Draskk

Blast From The Past
Oh yeah, thanks for that! Gotta get used to Rescue Stretcher lol. Will fix the list! :D

acerizzo13

Reniart Gniripsa
Hey everyone! This is a deck that i've been toying with for a while, and I think it is pretty good. The idea is to use Tapu Koko and Team Magma's Base to damage spread, with Wide Lense allowing you to hit Benched Shaymins for weakness, and then to easily one-shot opponent mons with Honchkrow. So, say your opponent has three pokemon on the Bench. They all took damage from Team Magma's Secret Base, which amounts to a total of 60 damage. Now it's your turn. Tapu Koko then adds twenty more damage to that, dealing 20 to their Active and 20 to their benched 'mons, for a total of 140. Honchkrow's damage output is now 150. With a Wide Lense on Tapu Koko, Team Magma's Base in play, and them Benching a Shaymin, Honchkrow is now one-shotting a Mega Mewtwo by your second turn. Yeah, I thought that was pretty good. There are certainly counters, but an unprepared opponent could get absolutely wrecked. Here's my list:

Pokemon (16):

4x Tapu Koko
4x Honchkrow
4x Murkrow
2x Tapu Lele-GX
2x Shaymin-EX

Trainers (40)

4x Sycamore
2x N
3x Lysandre (Lysandring a useless Pokemon can get you another turn out of a Tapu Koko, and gets you what you want to kill with Honchkrow.
1x Hex Maniac (ITEM LOCK WHY)
1x Mallow (Extremely useful with Trainer's Mail and Energy Lotto in the deck.)
1x Lillie (Great on the first turn.)
3x Trainer's Mail
4x VS Seeker
4x Ultra Ball
2x Energy Lotto
3x Bursting Balloon (if your opponent doesn't use Shaymin, this is the next-best thing.)
3x Wide Lense
2x Switch
2x Special Charge
1x Rescue Stretcher

Energy (4):

4x Double Colorless Energy (this works fine in Vespiquen decks, without Energy Lotto, and without ridiculous amounts of draw power, so I think it will be fine.)

Please let me know what you think, and suggestions are always appreciated!

I you are going to run 3 Lysandre in hopes of stranding something like Hoopa EX, Garbodor, or another heavy out in the active then you absolutely will need to run Field Blower to get rid of those pesky float stones. Wide Lens is exceptionally good against M Ray and entirely lack luster against other decks without Mew from Fates Collide, I'd say either lower the count of Wide Lens or add Mew to hit Psychic for weakness.

My Suggestions:
-1 Shaymin EX
-1 Lysandre (you have 4 VS seeker, and 3 Trainers Mail, imho it will not be hard to get it out and play it most turns you want in when not item locked)
-1 Bursting Balloon/ Switch/ Wide Lens (Dealers Choice)

+2 Field Blower
+1 Mew

Draskk

Blast From The Past
Thank you for the suggestions! I think the thing about the Field Blowers makes sense, I can't decide about the Mew though. I'll definitely add it if the M Mewtwo matchup is bad, but otherwise it seems to be dead weight. Also, I don't like dropping the Shaymin count as speed is important in this deck, so (for now) I'm only adding in Field Blower.

-1 Lysandre
-1 Wide Lense (Only lowering it to two because I think the Shaymin weakness damage would really help against Shaymin reliant decks, 20 damage from Team Magma's base, and 40 damage from Tapu Koko)
+2 Field Blower

Thanks again! :D

Draskk

Blast From The Past
Actually, now that I think about it, every time you get a Knock-Out, you lose damage. To fix this, I think I may just go with a pure Bursting Balloon/Eco Arm build to keep damage high. Will test both though! :D

EDIT: The more I think about it, Bursting Balloon would be much better than Wide Lense.

-2 Wide Lense
-1 Switch
+1 Bursting Balloon
+2 Eco Arm

Vitiel

Mush. Up!
I think another issue to consider with the deck's damage output is the opponent dropping less basics, or even clearing their own bench with a Parallel City. I wonder if Captivating Poke Puff is worth it for this reason?

Draskk

Blast From The Past
I think another issue to consider with the deck's damage output is the opponent dropping less basics, or even clearing their own bench with a Parallel City. I wonder if Captivating Poke Puff is worth it for this reason?
I originially thought of Captivating Poke Puff when this deck was in the jotting-ideas-down-on-a-notebook phase, but does it work with Team Magma's Secret Base? If it does, it definitely deserves a couple spots in the deck. Thanks for the advice! :)

Vitiel

Mush. Up!
I originially thought of Captivating Poke Puff when this deck was in the jotting-ideas-down-on-a-notebook phase, but does it work with Team Magma's Secret Base? If it does, it definitely deserves a couple spots in the deck. Thanks for the advice! :)
Signs point to "probably" but I've only seen inconclusive answers in my research.

Draskk

Blast From The Past
Can't get in to PTCGO right now, will try later. Just occurred to me though, why would they hide a basic in their hand when playing against a Passimian deck lol.

Draskk

Blast From The Past
Been googling about it, and most sources say yes, it should work, but I'm still getting mixed information. I'm going to assume it works properly and even if it doesn't, they'll still get damage from Tapu Koko. Here's my next edit:

-1 VS Seeker. I use three in most of my decks and every thing turns out fine.
-1 Field Blower. I like these, but with the level of draw power in this deck and with most decks not running more than 2 Float Stone, this should be fine.
+2 Captivating Poke Puff.

Which leaves the list looking like this:

Pokemon (16)

4x Tapu Koko
4x Honchkrow
4x Murkrow
2x Tapu Lele GX
2x Shaymin-EX

Trainers (40)

4x Sycamore
2x N
2x Lysandre
1x Hex Maniac
1x Mallow
1x Lillie
3x Trainer's Mail
4x Ultra Ball
3x VS Seeker
4x Bursting Balloon
2x Eco Arm
2x Captivating Poke-Puff
2x Energy Lotto
1x Switch
2x Special Charge
1x Rescue Stretcher
1x Field Blower

Energy (4)

4x Double Colorless Energy

Thanks for all the help everyone! :D

Also, some techs i've been thinking of:

Mew-EX (For mega mewtwo, copies both Honchkrow and Tapu Koko but hits for weakness)
1-1 Stadium lock Ninetales line

Do you guys think these would be good? Let me know please! :D

BearFlagTCG

MadCow
This is a nice first build. I dont believe that ninetails is necessary with 4 stadiums and field blower (essentially being able to bump 5 stadiums), and it would hurt your consistency a little. I also think that your M Mewtwo match up is already favorable, so Mew would be useless. IMO, in a deck like this where you need a lot of resources, shuffle draw is very important. I would suggest cutting 1 Sycamore for another N or something like Birch. Its just my play style I guess. Great list tho!

Draskk

Blast From The Past
This is a nice first build. I dont believe that ninetails is necessary with 4 stadiums and field blower (essentially being able to bump 5 stadiums), and it would hurt your consistency a little. I also think that your M Mewtwo match up is already favorable, so Mew would be useless. IMO, in a deck like this where you need a lot of resources, shuffle draw is very important. I would suggest cutting 1 Sycamore for another N or something like Birch. Its just my play style I guess. Great list tho!
Thanks dude! Yeah, I thought the Ninetales line would be clunky. But you know what matchup would be an autowin? Mega Ray. :D this would be worth just for that matchup lol Mega Ray would get reeeekkkkt. I think between Tapu Lele being able to search N and Lille and VS Seeker being able to get them back, we're good with shuffle draw. But a Shauna might be worth it, i'll look into that. Thanks again! :D

BearFlagTCG

MadCow
Thanks dude! Yeah, I thought the Ninetales line would be clunky. But you know what matchup would be an autowin? Mega Ray. :D this would be worth just for that matchup lol Mega Ray would get reeeekkkkt. I think between Tapu Lele being able to search N and Lille and VS Seeker being able to get them back, we're good with shuffle draw. But a Shauna might be worth it, i'll look into that. Thanks again! :D
Yeah It is good for Ray lol. I agree Tapu Lele does change things I'm still not used to it lol

Draskk

Blast From The Past
My biggest issue with this deck is that it straight up loses to Lapras GX and Waterbox.
Why? Lapras is slow and you lose DCEs every time you attack anyways, seeing as you get OHKOed. I've played against Lapras with my 4 DCE Vespiquen deck and I just Special Charge them back and win the prize trade. In fact, out of the maybe ten games i've played with Lapras with that deck, i've lost one, and that was because I dead-drew and he OHKOed my only Vespiquen. The key is to be able to win before they discard all the energy in your deck, which probably isn't that hard.

CaptZero

Aspiring Trainer
Why? Lapras is slow and you lose DCEs every time you attack anyways, seeing as you get OHKOed. I've played against Lapras with my 4 DCE Vespiquen deck and I just Special Charge them back and win the prize trade. In fact, out of the maybe ten games i've played with Lapras with that deck, i've lost one, and that was because I dead-drew and he OHKOed my only Vespiquen. The key is to be able to win before they discard all the energy in your deck, which probably isn't that hard.

Rough Seas. You need that spread damage for Honchkrow to do any respectable damage, but Rough Seas is just going to be Healing everything off every turn.

Draskk

Blast From The Past
Rough Seas. You need that spread damage for Honchkrow to do any respectable damage, but Rough Seas is just going to be Healing everything off every turn.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that, that would stink, maybe the Stadium lock Ninetales is a viable tech then?

Draskk

Blast From The Past
But also, they would take damage from Bursting Balloon and between 4 stadiums and a Field Blower you should be able to take out their Rough Seas. If they have all their Lapras's on the Bench, and they took damage from Team Magma's Base and one Tapu Koko attack they will have 10 damage all over the bench, and then when they attack into a Balloon they'll have 80 damage which takes three turns to heal off and the total of 120 damage per turn from Honchkrow, Lapras isnt an autoloss. Rough Seas will slow you down but it won't finish you completely.