Help The "What Deck Should I Play?" Thread

MoFoTY86

Aspiring Trainer
Okay then... I do personally believe that with that in mind, Mega Ray is your best option. Mega Ray is a solid attacker, and I believe that out of the options you listed, it will help you the best. Now, you should play whatever you're comfortable with of course, but I hope that this advice will help. P.S. I would like to give you a bit of a tip against Quad Lapras, as I have recently gone against it at my League Cup (and it really annoyed me...). First of all, I recommend having a solid basic backup attacker, in case they play Glaceon, because that can decide that matchup. I'm also going to warn you, that part of the power of Lapras decks are there Paralysis. So, if you can get around that through Mega Evolution/healing, you should be okay. Mega Ray's speed also helps with the matchup, as you need to knockout Lapras before they can setup as much as possible (that last bit also applies to Brilliant Arrow Mega Gardevoir). Hope this helps, and good luck at your tournament!
So what about Magearna EX vs Paralysis? I am thinking of using Jirachi Promo or either Magearna Promo. Thoughts?

TrevGallade

Trevterra!!!
So what about Magearna EX vs Paralysis? I am thinking of using Jirachi Promo or either Magearna Promo. Thoughts?
Oh, right. Forgot about Magearna. Yeah, that should make the Lapras matchup pretty favorable. As for the promos, I would use the Magearna promo only if you expect to play against rainbow road. Jirachi isn't a bad Pokémon to play, especially with the amount of deck running dce. Honestly, now that I've looked it up, those are the only good basic metal type mons besides Cobalion... Maybe make sure to play the Colorless Ray, too, just for the attack, in addition to 1 copy of the Jirachi promo, and possibly 1 copy of the Magearna.

Loop_Stratos

A TCG Online-exclusive Newbie
Hello everyone. I'm a Standard player, only playing the Online version(which doesn't seem to have all card packs for Trainer Tokens), started around a month ago.

I'm looking for a deck that is viable and pretty consistent(in comparison to other decks). I don't know the staple cards well enough(I only know of N) so I think I can hunt them down instead. I would like the deck to not use any cards from packs not sold in-game. I'm also unfamiliar with the terms around, so I hope the deck has a clear description.

Thanks in Advance!

MoFoTY86

Aspiring Trainer
OK so I'm gonna be playing Mega Ray this weekend for a League Cup. I'm stuck on between Magearna EX variant with Promo Jirachi and Volcanion EX with Salamence.

Which one looks better to use?

TrevGallade

Trevterra!!!
OK so I'm gonna be playing Mega Ray this weekend for a League Cup. I'm stuck on between Magearna EX variant with Promo Jirachi and Volcanion EX with Salamence.

Which one looks better to use?
It depends on your local meta. If you're league usually has ex heavy decks, then I would go with the Salamence variant. If you're meta has many Lapras players, though, I highly recommend looking into the Magearna variant, as it keeps your opponent from Paralyzing you (in the Lapras scenario), making the matchup extremely more favorable. If you post some more insight on your local meta, someone should be able to help you make a better choice. Hope this helps!:)

MoFoTY86

Aspiring Trainer
Local for fun Tournament this weekend. Standard format. Stuck between Mega Ray with Volcanion/Salamence and Gyarados. Meta is up in the air. Quad Lapras, Volcanion, Turbo Dark, Dark Dragons, Decidueye-GX/Vileplume, other Mega Ray, Laurantis-GX/Solgaleo-GX. Which one sounds better?

AlphaVoxel

Definitely still in development...
Forum Mod
What's up PokeBeach!? I am at a bit of a loss here. I am looking to play something decent in standard, but I can work with expanded. Currently, the two decks that I have scrapped together are Yveltal, and Espeon GX/Legends of Alola. I have found that Yveltal is a bit lackluster at times, and the Espeon deck is very difficult to set up at times. My local meta consists of whatever the heck the 5-12 year old kids can throw together, and one adult who plays the Expanded Garchomp deck. I have no idea what do do at this point. My local league is terrible, with a the next closest league a few miles away (and didn't exist a few weeks ago...), and the next closest about 20 miles away. I have some things in both expanded and standard to work with, most notably a Jirachi EX, Garbodor, and Yveltal. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, but I would request that you not suggest playing Uber expensive cards. I have no budget at the moment, so this is the best I can do.

kai88

THE Aspiring Trainer ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I need some help for this weekend's Toronto regionals. Have been out of the game for a while, but have a lot of the good cards. What should I run? PS it's expanded

AlphaVoxel

Definitely still in development...
Forum Mod
I need some help for this weekend's Toronto regionals. Have been out of the game for a while, but have a lot of the good cards. What should I run? PS it's expanded
Hey! Here is what I have to suggest:
Yveltal/Maxie's
Night March
Decidueye/Plume
Et cetera...

I am not the most professional player, so take what I suggest with a grain of salt...

ZephyrFox12

Aspiring Trainer
Hey guys, so a pretty budget player irl. I don't go to regionals or anything I just play at locals. I bought that worlds darkrai deck awhile back and had a blast with it. Problem is I can't play it in tournaments and etc. I'm looking for a deck casual enough for locals yet competitive enough to do well. I'm looking to play like 1 deck and only 1 deck and progressively holo it out.

I've narrowed my choices down to 3 choices, or more less 2

1) Primal Groudon: starting off with the one I think I'd find the least enjoyable of all, Primal Groudon. While wobb is really hot right now and the full-arts are amazing to look at, the deck just seems really boring, sit behind wobb and set up, it just seems like it's fun for like a day, it's also s deck that I feel can't deal with problems nor create them, in other words in just sits there.

2) Quad Sylveon: second up is a deck that has a ton of hype and will most likely live up to it, Sylveon. From what I've seen and have heard the deck has a ton of consistency and potential to do well. It's a deck people will probably hate you for playing but that's the point to a degree I suppose, "player interaction". The deck seems like it can do multiple things with ease, not the same old same old over and over. Will you probably repeat the same stuff over and over, is it a learning curve for a semi-newish player (roughly over 6 months), yes and yes. Will it be fun, I honestly don't know.

3) Greninja BREAK: originally it was just between Groudon and Sylveon, but recent posts and videos have made me have interest in this deck again. When I first started PTCGO greninja was my first deck, I hated it so much. The deck would constantly brick on me, draw horribly and yet somehow make me feel like garbage when I lost and the most rewarding feeling when I won. With GR the deck gains a lot, higher damage, better recovery, an out to garb, better match ups, the list goes on. I'm known for over hyping things for myself, and greninja is a deck known to disappoint.

So which one is better, I would consider myself a dirt-cheap casual I'm all honesty, let me know which one you think would be better and if you have questions or other deck ideas I'm all ears :)

Thanks a ton ;)

MoFoTY86

Aspiring Trainer
Hey guys, so a pretty budget player irl. I don't go to regionals or anything I just play at locals. I bought that worlds darkrai deck awhile back and had a blast with it. Problem is I can't play it in tournaments and etc. I'm looking for a deck casual enough for locals yet competitive enough to do well. I'm looking to play like 1 deck and only 1 deck and progressively holo it out.

I've narrowed my choices down to 3 choices, or more less 2

1) Primal Groudon: starting off with the one I think I'd find the least enjoyable of all, Primal Groudon. While wobb is really hot right now and the full-arts are amazing to look at, the deck just seems really boring, sit behind wobb and set up, it just seems like it's fun for like a day, it's also s deck that I feel can't deal with problems nor create them, in other words in just sits there.

2) Quad Sylveon: second up is a deck that has a ton of hype and will most likely live up to it, Sylveon. From what I've seen and have heard the deck has a ton of consistency and potential to do well. It's a deck people will probably hate you for playing but that's the point to a degree I suppose, "player interaction". The deck seems like it can do multiple things with ease, not the same old same old over and over. Will you probably repeat the same stuff over and over, is it a learning curve for a semi-newish player (roughly over 6 months), yes and yes. Will it be fun, I honestly don't know.

3) Greninja BREAK: originally it was just between Groudon and Sylveon, but recent posts and videos have made me have interest in this deck again. When I first started PTCGO greninja was my first deck, I hated it so much. The deck would constantly brick on me, draw horribly and yet somehow make me feel like garbage when I lost and the most rewarding feeling when I won. With GR the deck gains a lot, higher damage, better recovery, an out to garb, better match ups, the list goes on. I'm known for over hyping things for myself, and greninja is a deck known to disappoint.

So which one is better, I would consider myself a dirt-cheap casual I'm all honesty, let me know which one you think would be better and if you have questions or other deck ideas I'm all ears :)

Thanks a ton ;)

First, I want to say I am going through what you are going through. I don't go to a lot of regionals. Been to a few League Cups, bus that about it.

1)Haven't had any experience with Primal Groupon, but seeing it a lot in Regional. Especially Expanded.

2)Love Quad Sylveon GX. I physically don't have any of them, but know they can replace Lapras. Searching for 3 cards is better than drawing 3. Plus you don't have to worry about Lapras's second attack. I would choose this as a main deck choice.

3)Greninja still won't see a lot of play. I am going to put it together with Guardians rising to see if it helps against Garbodor decks.

ZephyrFox12

Aspiring Trainer
I think Sylveon is probably the better of those decks, but i fear that in a best of 1 scenario (like a league cup and etc) it could do very poorly, so im still a bit unsure.

StarboardHunter

Aspiring Trainer
I'm looking to break into the expanded format, and I don't know enough about it to choose a deck myself yet. I do know that I want to play something aggressive that sets up quick and applies pressure as quick as possible. Anybody got some suggestions for me?

MoFoTY86

Aspiring Trainer
Hello everyone! Do you guys know which deck is better in strength and consistency, Volcanion or Garbodor? They are both pretty good decks, but I want to know which one is the best to play.
Volcanion is quick to set up and easy to one shot everything. As long as you watch the useage of items, you'll be ok vs Garbodor decks.

Garbodor/Drampa GX is the new hype. I don't have any experience but I am guessing it is easy to get it going and set up.

I'm looking to break into the expanded format, and I don't know enough about it to choose a deck myself yet. I do know that I want to play something aggressive that sets up quick and applies pressure as quick as possible. Anybody got some suggestions for me?
Well my go to deck for Expanded is Night March. Seismatoad/Bats is another option. Accelgor/Wobbufett is another. Night March is my most favorite to play and so quick and easy to start.

PlinfaTheBest

Plinfa means Piplup in German!
Hey guys,

I need your recommendation for my local tournament this weekend. Basically, it's going to be a small League Cup, mostly with people I know. These are the confirmed decks:
Vileplume/something (probably either Trevenant GUR or Decidueye GX)
Umbreon GX/Zoroark
Espeon GX/Garb
Drampa GX/Garb
Yveltal/Garbodor BRP
Gengar/M-Alakazam EX
There are also some beginners with out of meta decks that should be beatable with every competitive deck.
You can basically recommend any deck for me, but as I can't get every card, it would be great if you can recommend as many decks as possible. There's only one restriction: I don't have many Shaymin or Tapu Lele, so no turbo setup decks like Decidueye/Vileplume. Anything else goes ^^

Thank you for your help
PlinfaTheBest

MoFoTY86

Aspiring Trainer
Hey guys,

I need your recommendation for my local tournament this weekend. Basically, it's going to be a small League Cup, mostly with people I know. These are the confirmed decks:
Vileplume/something (probably either Trevenant GUR or Decidueye GX)
Umbreon GX/Zoroark
Espeon GX/Garb
Drampa GX/Garb
Yveltal/Garbodor BRP
Gengar/M-Alakazam EX
There are also some beginners with out of meta decks that should be beatable with every competitive deck.
You can basically recommend any deck for me, but as I can't get every card, it would be great if you can recommend as many decks as possible. There's only one restriction: I don't have many Shaymin or Tapu Lele, so no turbo setup decks like Decidueye/Vileplume. Anything else goes ^^

Thank you for your help
PlinfaTheBest

My first reaction is...play Maxie's Gyarados. Use Machoke (Guardians Rising) and Marowak (Fates Collide)to better protect your Gyarados. Maybe run a Drampa in Gyarados. I am seeing a lot of bench snipping decks so Machoke could be of use. Marowak for that possible run in vs Lapras Tool Box, Giratina. Look out for Rogue Koko Decks.

PlinfaTheBest

Plinfa means Piplup in German!
My first reaction is...play Maxie's Gyarados. Use Machoke (Guardians Rising) and Marowak (Fates Collide)to better protect your Gyarados. Maybe run a Drampa in Gyarados. I am seeing a lot of bench snipping decks so Machoke could be of use. Marowak for that possible run in vs Lapras Tool Box, Giratina. Look out for Rogue Koko Decks.

Thank you for your suggestion, but I don't really like playing Gyarados that much. I know it's a very strong deck, especially with Machoke, but I don't like to run Maxie's since rotation hit Battle Compressor and - more importantly - I don't own Team Magma's Secret Base.
I also thought about playing Umbreon GX/Zoroark. Would that be a solid choice? The Yveltal player also is likely to switch to Decidueye/Vileplume by the way.

MoFoTY86

Aspiring Trainer
Thank you for your suggestion, but I don't really like playing Gyarados that much. I know it's a very strong deck, especially with Machoke, but I don't like to run Maxie's since rotation hit Battle Compressor and - more importantly - I don't own Team Magma's Secret Base.
I also thought about playing Umbreon GX/Zoroark. Would that be a solid choice? The Yveltal player also is likely to switch to Decidueye/Vileplume by the way.
I've never played Umbreon-GX/Zoroark, but I've heard Quad Zoroark/Drampa (w/ Zoroark BREAK) did good at Burmingham Regionals. As for the DeciPlume player, have Garbodor ready and use Hexes sparingly. The Deciplume match up can help with your Drampa. Just pray he/she doesn't target your active Drampa.

P3DS

UK VGC Regs Champ 2015
Looking for decent decks in the format, that don't run lele/shaymin (Don't have any ;-; ). So far, looking at greninja and sylveon GX. Looked at lapras, but it is slightly bad rn due to masses of grass decks. Any others I have missed?

Last edited:

MoFoTY86

Aspiring Trainer
Passimmian/Mew is a good start. Greninja Break and Sylveon is also a good start as well. I honestly can't think of any others. I am sure someone will post if I did.