Discussion Favorite 2 card combo in competitive history?

brandonmarks994

Aspiring Trainer
i gotta say my favorite 2 card combo in competitive history has got to be claydol ex and the psy shadow gardevoir (yes the ruby and sapphire one, they reprinted it in ex power keepers along with the firestarter blaziken) getting a free energy every turn meant you always had energys to discard for shadow crush, which meant that unless your opponent was playing a version of energy ramp (whether it be the flygon from holon phantoms, firestarter blaziken, psy shadow gardevoir, or nurture and heal meganium ex) your opponent was pretty screwed once you got your combo

Gardevoir.PK.9.png

156909.jpg

Darkrai EX/Dark Patch from BW Dark Explorers. Won two world championships, and was a combo used in many T3 decks such as Chandelure/Darkrai, and the EX Donk Deck with Tornadus EX, Darkrai EX, and Bouffalant. The combo defined two rotations.

Gardevoir and Gallade from Secret Wonders. Outside of being my favourite deck ever, it's one of the only times in TCG history where a top deck used Counterparts as the main focus. What's not to love?

Another one of my favorite combos is salamence from ex delta species and holon research tower which was my deck from 2005 to 2007, then I switched to gardevoir claydol ex after holon tranceiver rotated out (you have to remember at that time metal energy was considered a special energy just like dark)

Salamence_δ__14_113__EX_Delta_Species.jpg pkm_exdeltaspecies_94_rv.jpg

Virbank City Gym/Hypnotoxic Laser.

The highest pressure Item/Stadium combo. It forced your opponent to make plays they usually wouldn't want to make, and all in all, could keep your opponent's active relatively useless if coin flips went your way.

Definitely Vileplume (Undaunted UD 24) and Gengar (Stormfront SF 18) for me.
vileplume-undaunted-ud-24-ptcgo-1.png gengar-stormfront-sf-18.jpg
Vileplume locks the opponent from using trainers with its Allergy Flower Poké-Body. On the other hand, Gengar attacks with Poltergeist, which did 30 damage to the Defending Pokémon for each Trainer, Supporter, and Stadium card in the opponent's hand. Since Allergy Flower prevented the opponent from playing Trainers, they were often forced to hold them in hand, causing Poltergeist to do a lot of damage.

This is probably going to be said but maxies garchomp turn one. Some how getting you hand to no cards then getting a free stage 2 and 5 cards insane maxies/archies is one of my favorite card mecahnics and i hope they make something like it in the future.(ps. I dont really know any cards from the format before black and white)

Base set Alakazam and Jungle Mr. Mime. When your opponent can only do 20 damage or less per shot (and can't do any damage if their attacks do 30 or more) thanks to Mr. Mime's Invisible Wall, and Alakazam can swap it away to a high HP Poke, it makes for a lot of fun (and a frustrated opponent).

Downside was Pokemon powers were removed by special conditions back then, so it wasn't infallible, but still fun.

42346_200w.jpg
106984_200w.jpg

Last edited:
i could have swore that mr mime was banned along with the slowking that makes it so that your opponent had to flip a coin to use a trainer

It might not seem like anything special now, but I LOVED this Beedrill combo (thanks to the non-rotation one year, it stayed for longer than it normally would have). One Beedrill searches for grass Pokemon once per turn, while the other does 30x your Beedrill in play. With Broken Time Space and Night Maintenance, it meant instant recovery from knockout.
DP4_EN_13.png
PL2_EN_15.png

I think magnezone prime/yanmega prime were a great duo back in HGSS. They made synergy in a stable format that no other deck could offer. Second place is definitely darkrai/dark patch though.

One of the Cryogonal from Noble Victories (there were two) had an attack that let you drag up a Pokemon, the same effect as Lysandre. It was used in the BLW-PLS format, where switching options were limited and Float Stone did not exist. Its second attack was basically Sky Return, which was cool as well. I paired it with Registeel EX, which had an attack called Triple Laser which hit 30 to three different Pokemon. Stall something active, spread to the bench. Simple, effective, and unexpected. I also paired it with Garbodor to turn of Shift Gear and Dark Cloak, but the two-man show was Registeel-EX + Cryogonal.

Back