Games Fire Emblem

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I actually ended up starting the original Fire Emblem, because I felt that was fitting. Been nice so far, though I lost my Pegasus Knight immediately and forgot to reset, which made me very sad. ;_;

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
@NotJim and I recently finished playing Fire Emblem Gaiden for the NES together. It's a very old and dated game (and super, super slow), but very fun to play, and different from a lot of other FEs. We're playing on playing the original FE1 next, then FE3.

WinterPhoenix23

Aspiring Trainer
I actually ended up starting the original Fire Emblem, because I felt that was fitting. Been nice so far, though I lost my Pegasus Knight immediately and forgot to reset, which made me very sad. ;_;

Ha, I just don't use Florina. I am on chap 24 eliwoods quest and haven't lost anyone.... I could use some more gold though. But that is kind of the same for all FE games. Never have enough gold.

Which reminds me, why do eternal seals have to be so stupid expensive?

quakingpunch73

At The Beach

You should restart for her. Florina is a beast if you can level her up enough. I played through the original game twice, once without her, and once with her. It made a pretty big difference the second time. She has great movement, avoid, attack, and con, though her defenses aren't the best.

Which reminds me, why do eternal seals have to be so stupid expensive?

They kind of break the game. Level caps are there to prevent you from becoming too powerful in the late game, after all.

WinterPhoenix23

Aspiring Trainer
They kind of break the game. Level caps are there to prevent you from becoming too powerful in the late game, after all.[/QUOTE]

That is a good point. However, I like to make maxed out stats on my characters because it's fun if not a little tedious and I like having multiplayer sets in case I want to destroy a fellow fates player. 12,000 G for eternal seals makes that a bit harder to do.

But hey weapons don't break in this game so I do have money saved up for that.

quakingpunch73

At The Beach
For all you FE fans out there, I want to ask some questions to you about the newest game in the series, the FTP app Fire Emblem heroes:

1. How are you enjoying the game?
2. Do you plan to pick up Shadows of Valentia when it launches in May? Why or why not?
3. Who is your best unit in the game so far?
4. How long do you think Heroes will last?

WinterPhoenix23

Aspiring Trainer
1. I am enjoying Heroes a lot. I just hope they add local player versus player soon. The summoning system is not working out for me as it seems to for others but I did summon a lucky 5 star Nowi on my second full summon.

2. I have already preordered Shadows of Valentina. I am all aboard the Echoes Hype train. So many hopes for this game. Very happy world map is a returning feature.

3. Nowi without a doubt. Nowi tanks so much and can even counter falchion wielded because she gets triangle advantage. She almost feels like a weaker hector or Takumi.

4. I am really not sure how long it will last. Players are already noticing without direct PvP the late game is really lacking. But as long as they update I will probably play. It's free.

Professor Palutena

The Queen
Heroes entertained me for like a day. It's too basic for me, though I get why it is. I also hate how the heroes are random, though again, I know why it's that way.

That said, I pre-ordered Shadows of Valentia the moment it went up on Amazon. Hated Fates and I think I will love Valentia for the same reasons.

thegrovylekid

Makes fake cards
Heroes to me is the same as any other mobile game. Cute, but it'll never be deep or engaging enough to hold my attention.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
For all you FE fans out there, I want to ask some questions to you about the newest game in the series, the FTP app Fire Emblem heroes:

1. How are you enjoying the game?

I'm actually enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. The game is very simple in the beginning, but the more difficult levels in Lunatic Mode require a decent amount of thought and strategy. Tactics in this game are very different due to the mechanic changes and simplifications, but it's still decently fun. It's certainly not as engaging as an actual full Fire Emblem game, but for a ftp gatcha mobile game, I think it's entertaining and I plan on following it, at least for the time being.

2. Do you plan to pick up Shadows of Valentia when it launches in May? Why or why not?

Hell yes. It's based off for FE2, Fire Emblem: Gaiden, which is an amazingly fun game. Back this early on the in the series' lifespan, they still weren't sure what things they would be keeping as staples of the series, so they introduced a whole bunch of wacky mechanics. Some of them have even cropped up in later FE titles, such as split paths, a world map, infinite use weapons, third tier classes, grinding maps, etc., but others still exist only in this game, such as draining HP to cast spells (works much better in practice than it sounds, really), villagers that can promote into 5 different classes, RPG-like exploration of towns and dungeons, etc.

I definitely highly suggest people check out this game since it looks like it will be very faithful to the original, but making it much prettier (compared to a NES game), adding more plot, and greatly enhancing the UI.

3. Who is your best unit in the game so far?

I don't really have a single best unit, but the team I'm using for Arena and high-level chapters is currently Julia, Young Tiki, Kagero, and Olivia. Julia gets rid of Manaketes, Armours, Blue Mages, and basically anything else that can easily go down to a magic nuke; Kagero's weapon is effective against all infantry units so she takes down the Takumis, Falchion wielders, and other foot meta units, Tiki tanks and builds up her special for massive damage, and Olivia dances for whoever needs to attack twice or attack and get out of the way.

It's far from optimal, but I'm missing most of the important meta units for arena work (no Takumi, no Hector, no Falchion wielders, etc), so I make this work for me. Current Arena score is 4,398.

4. How long do you think Heroes will last?

It really depends on how much they keep updating the game and breathing life into it. A lot of players are already getting bored since they've completed Story Mode on all difficulties, and the occasional new maps have been too little content to keep people entertained for long. We really need to start seeing a faster influx of maps that provide Orbs for people to keep players engaged. Right now, I'm only logging in to focus on my arena game (and earn those tasty Feathers bu completing all the Arena quests) and also leveling up some additional characters, but I don't really feel much of a drive.

Wechselbalg

brb
First of all, sorry for necroing this thread, but I didn't want to start a new one, seeing how long this one already was.

I'm a big fan of Fire Emblem - started with Sacred Stones but played almost every other game in the series to some extent except for the original Shadow Dragon, Gaiden, Awakening, Fates and Heroes - and I was curious what other fans here thought of Three Houses. I finished my first playthrough of it a few days ago (Blue Lions route) and I found it to be a very good addition to the series and I'm actually looking forward to playing the other routes as well, just not right away since I don't want to get burnt out on the game too quickly.

At first I thought that I'd find the social aspects of the game too tedious and boring, but luckily they weren't too invasive or long so they didn't bother me, and the banter of some of the characters was actually entertaining. I also found the story (or at least what I've seen of it from the Blue Lions side) to be somewhat refreshing compared to other entries in the series. Gameplay wise it's not the strongest of the series (for me that'd be FE6-7 and Radiant Dawn) but I still found it enjoyable altough I wouldn't have minded bit of an increase in difficulty. (Not even hard difficulty has Close Counter on enemy archers, hello???)

From what I've heard of it, the English voice acting was also nice, but I'd say it's not on par with that of Echoes, (which was awesome) and some characters have more fitting voices in Japanese so I just played with Japanese voices and German subtitles.

I was super lucky and managed to get the game for only 10 EUR through a Gamestop offer in my country (had to trade in two older games for it) but had I bought it for the asking price I wouldn't have complained either, as I think the game has enough content and is enjoyable enough to warrant the 60 EUR/USD price tag. Overall I'd say it's a solid 7.5 or 8 star Fire Emblem game.

P.S. Seteth is best husbando

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
I absolutely love 3H. I started playing with Awakening but have also played a few of the older games through emulation, and I have to say that 'full-time' voice acting (as opposed to a few words at the start of a conversation) really adds a lot to the game. I don't think I've played enough Echoes to compare the voice acting, but if it's anything like the one in 3H then it must be very good.

I've played through the Black Eagles path and am currently playing the Golden Deer, and the houses actually feel a lot more different than I thought they would. Having seen Claude's interactions with Byleth and the house students, I can only imagine what Dimitri, Felix, Ingrid and Sylvain's interactions must be like lol. The story also has an actual good villain(s?) with motivations instead of 'lol I wanna conquer/destroy the world', unlike the impression I have left of Validar/Grangel.

As for the gameplay itself, I love the New Game+ feature, it makes recruiting students and min maxing so much easier. I'm still feeling around for my absolute favourite main army combination, but I already have some ideas of who's gonna definitely make it in there. The free days and instructing mechanics can get repetitive after a while if you spam the same action too many times in a row (which you might have to do if you really want to recruit a certain character before a certain point in the game), but if you vary between your options it shouldn't be too bad.

The class system is...interesting, and for the most part I actually like it, but Master classes are a bit annoying since most of them require you to have A and/or C in a stat your unit never really uses and you have to rely completely on the instruction+goals mechanic. just let Felix be a swordboy damn

I have to agree that the difficulty is a bit lacking, but I'm hoping that gets fixed or at least addressed with the Lunatic+Infernal modes update. From what I've heard, stationary units like the Death Knight will be able to move around, and ohmygod is he gonna have some fun chasing my lv5 army around lmao.

Overall, I think it's a very good game that definitely warrants multiple playthroughs but manages to retain its charm and not get repetitive at the same time.