Help The "What Should I Buy?" Thread

Digital Dragon

Thinks Chandelure is the cutest Pokémon
Volcanion Exs should be going for relatively cheap soon because there is a tin wth the promo coming out in a couple weeks I think. My recommendation would be to just slowly buy singles that are within your budget over time. Coming up with a good deck list is really fun! Good luck with your Pokemon journey!

tyjthomas333

Aspiring Trainer
Hello Pokebeach! I am going into this new format with absolutely 0 cards, and was wondering what I coupd do with around sixty dollars. I have been considering xerneas and yveltal, but don't know what I want yet. What do you think I could get with around sixty dollars on Trollandtoad? Thanks for all the help!

Edit: looking for standard only please

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Hello Pokebeach! I am going into this new format with absolutely 0 cards, and was wondering what I coupd do with around sixty dollars. I have been considering xerneas and yveltal, but don't know what I want yet. What do you think I could get with around sixty dollars on Trollandtoad? Thanks for all the help!

Edit: looking for standard only please

Many decks will use many of the same cards that are dubbed 'staples', so I recommend obtaining these first. Check out this recent thread for a list of common Standard format staples. Battle Arena Decks would probably be the best use of your money, as they contain two 60 card decks containing many of the staple cards (including two of the expensive VS Seeker) as well as powerful EX cards. There's two Battle Arena Decks that I would recommend: Mewtwo vs Darkrai, which has been released for a while now, or Keldeo vs Rayquaza, which will be released officially in a couple of days. Unfortunately, both kits are tailored for the Expanded format, so things like a lot of the Pokemon contained cannot be used in the Standard format. However, most of the staples are usable in the Standard format.

If you don't want to get a Battle Arena Kit, then I would recommend buying the singles off somewhere like TCG Player or TrollandToad. You could also find a league and look around for anyone who is willing to sell or give away their unneeded staples. I would recommend staying away from things like theme decks, since those are under-powered and generally don't contain many cards usable in a competitive metagame. As for finding a deck, the format is relatively new meaning their isn't necessarily established archetypes. However, you could check out some PB Articles, which give great insight into the current Standard meta and even tested decklists, or the community's Deck Garage decks for some ideas. If you like a deck idea, you may like to test it out on PTCG Online or another PTCG simulator to make sure you like it before you buy the singles.

MitchIn3D

Aspiring Trainer
Hey guys, I'm a returning player looking to get back into the competitive scene. Ive been out of the game for a while now, my last set was furious fists, and as such I'm at a bit of a loss as to which decks are worth looking into for this rotation. I've been doing a bit of research, and notice that yveltal is hanging around, and seeing as I still have one or two from xy, I figured it would be the easiest way of getting straight back into it. My question is, do you think that yveltal is a reasonable starting point, and what cards would you say are the must buys to get a relatively solid yveltal deck going asap?

myska707

Expanded: TrevanantBREAK Standard: Rainbow Road
How does one obtain a Tropical Beach or Jirachi promo (with stardust) online?
I almost never see them for trade and I certainly never see them for trade at a reasonable price.

cregavitch

Aspiring Trainer
Hello everyone! I'm new to collecting pokémon cards. I bought an Evolutions Elite Trainer Box, a whole bunch of loose evolutions boosters and a mix of some other packs that I can't remember the names of. I would like to buy my first booster box and I was wondering, is Sun & Moon is a good set to buy a booster box for? I'm already planning to buy the Elite Trainer Box for Sun & Moon.

I also have a question related to play and playing competitively. I bought the RayQuaza and Keldeo Battle Arena decks because I read it was a necessity if you wanted to get into competitive play. I was wondering what cards should I look out for other than the ones I got from the Battle Arena decks? I know I'd probably be best looking out for a couple more vs seekers but I'm not sure what other cards are commonly used in competitive play, other than Shaymin-EX.

TheGreatGastlys

Aspiring Trainer
Hello everyone! I'm new to collecting pokémon cards. I bought an Evolutions Elite Trainer Box, a whole bunch of loose evolutions boosters and a mix of some other packs that I can't remember the names of. I would like to buy my first booster box and I was wondering, is Sun & Moon is a good set to buy a booster box for? I'm already planning to buy the Elite Trainer Box for Sun & Moon.

I also have a question related to play and playing competitively. I bought the RayQuaza and Keldeo Battle Arena decks because I read it was a necessity if you wanted to get into competitive play. I was wondering what cards should I look out for other than the ones I got from the Battle Arena decks? I know I'd probably be best looking out for a couple more vs seekers but I'm not sure what other cards are commonly used in competitive play, other than Shaymin-EX.

Hey, I've loved opening the sun and moon booster. You never know tho since the pulls are always random. My only suggestion would be to play the game, and watch others play. The Rayquaza/Keldeo does give you a good idea on which trainers are good trainers but the trainers only make sense when you are the midst of playing. Good luck..

Here's the first part of my booster box opening...

ImaMoFoThief

Aspiring Trainer
100% new player here, want to start collecting cards for play in my LGS and online play. What is the best stuff to pick up?

lkmdude

Aspiring Trainer
@ImaMoFoTheif You want to get entirely separate things for both RL and online. If you only wanted to play online I would recommend buying packs to trade with, but if you play irl you should buy singles.

ImaMoFoThief

Aspiring Trainer
@ImaMoFoTheif You want to get entirely separate things for both RL and online. If you only wanted to play online I would recommend buying packs to trade with, but if you play irl you should buy singles.
are there any good deck building kits similar to the magic kits?

lkmdude

Aspiring Trainer
Not that I know of. You can buy the keldeo v Rayquaza battle decks. It has a code for online and has a lot of staple trainers that you will need for deck building.

SebbeT99

Aspiring Trainer
Hello poké beach!
Price range: 90-110 usd
What I want to buy: A booster box from the xy series
Options to choose from: Evolutions, Steam Siege, Primal Clash, Ancient origins or Breakthrough. These are the ones I´m choosing from and would really like some help picking one. Please tell me why you are choosing one! Thanks for help!:)

Lord_Darkrai

Aspiring Trainer
Hello poké beach!
Price range: 90-110 usd
What I want to buy: A booster box from the xy series
Options to choose from: Evolutions, Steam Siege, Primal Clash, Ancient origins or Breakthrough. These are the ones I´m choosing from and would really like some help picking one. Please tell me why you are choosing one! Thanks for help!:)
Are you looking to buy a box to pick up certain cards or just because?

Vulpixy

Just your friendly neighborhood Vulpix
Really just because, any tips?

Personally, I would go for either Steam Siege or Evolutions if you want a set you can be (pretty) sure of staying in standard post rotation in September. Out of those two, Steam Siege has a couple good tech cards like Talonflame while Evolutions is great for the nostalgia feel (feels like cracking Base Set packs again).

GengarGuy

PUMPKABOO SLAYER
I
Are you looking to buy a box to pick up certain cards or just because?
would go for Evo because it can get sort of expensive with the Charizards, Steam Siege because Sycamor will probably remain popular like Juniper and then all of the other good stuff in that set, then Breakthrough. Honestly, you should probably get Sum and Moon or Roaring Skies before the booster boxes skyrocket to $400 each. Those are my thoughts

Ninjabot 215

Beep Boop
so after looking at the cards that are are going to be in Guardians Rising, it looks like it's gonna be a good set. However, I am wondering if it is worth investing in a booster box for it?

[EDIT]: I'm pretty sure i will be able to afford it by the time May rolls around, I just know there are plenty of other awesome PTCG products out there... like that M Sharpedo box.

Last edited:

EnFuego

Aspiring Trainer
Hey everyone for who is curious about the new EX premium collection boxes target has them both in stock sharpedo and camerupt on the shelves I picked up sharpedo and did a unboxing of it on my YouTube channel so you can see what you actually get.