Discussion Dragonair SUM Standard Partners?

MajoraMayhem

Aspiring Trainer
Dragon Type
HP 90
Dragon's Wish (C)
During your next turn, you may attach any number of Energy cards from your hand to your Pokémon.

Tail Smack (G)(L)(C)

Attaching all four DCE's or 5 energy in a single turn sounds amazing, but the fact that this exists on a Stage 1 as an attack hurts this card quite a bit. Any partners for it that you guys know of. I'm currently leaning towards Darkrai EX BKP, and running it akin to Darkrai Tina with Dragonair lines replacing Tina as your DDE targets. Slower for sure, but possibly more deadly. The new Primarina GX SUM also strikes my interest, as a 250 body that can heal everything sounds cute, and Timer Ball becomes live in the deck.

This is certainly a card that I'll keep my eye on as new sets are released. If the format slows then it could be a force to be reckoned with.

I started running Darkrai Dargonair this weekend and went 19 - 7. In 4 of the 7 losses I significantly misplayed - had I not committed those errors, I'm 100% certain I would have won the game. The other three losses were against fighting decks. This deck will almost always lose to Carbink Zygarde or Passimian. No other type has beaten me though (like I said, I beat myself in those other 4 losses).

I tried this with Ho-Oh EX and went 2-4. With Xerneas Break I was 1 and 6. It might be worth trying with M Mewtwo, but Darkrai is definitely the way to go, and I'd be surprised if it didn't completely dominate the other Turbo Darkrai variants out there. I think that maybe it just needs something else (maybe Yveltal EX or the stage 2 evolution Dragonite?) to help with the fighting deck mismatches.

It is pretty surreal, though, to be able to attach 8, 9, or even 10 energy in one turn. Ranger can kill you though - if your opponent plays Ranger in the turn after you played Dragon's Wish, it wipes away the effect of the attack and you'll have to Dragon's Wish again.

Yveltal can help against Passimian. Max Wind Dragonite is hilarious with this deck.

I just like the name "Max Wind." Tauros would be the perfect partner for this deck... if he weren't also weak to fighting.

For the people who used Dragonair... How many energies did you attach in average after using Dragon's Wish? Is it worth it?
I'm seriously thinking about adding it to my Delphox (FCO) deck

In my Darkrai deck, it's not unusual to attach 5 or 6 energy cards (including DDE's) in a single turn. I run 12 basic energy, 4 DDE, 4 professors letters, fisherman and lots of draw support. It has only rarely putzed out on me and gotten like 1 or 2 energy a couple of times, but when that happens, I just Dragon's Wish again (hopefully Dragonair is still alive!). On rare occasions, between the basic and DDE, I've had 12 energy on the board the turn after wishing.

I'll post my list later when I'm in front of my computer. I have now had a couple of losses to non-fighting decks, but overwhelmingly, fighting decks are definitely the only deck that can consistently take it down - the only other problem it has is the guy who's playing it :) Seriously, it does seem to have a narrow margin of error before Dragon Wishing - meaning, there have been I think 4 matches that I've lost because I made a single misplay early.

I'm not going to say that it's completely dominant, but in matches where I execute the Dragon's Wish, I think I've lost maybe once. You wanna max out how high you can get on the versus ladder tonight and tomorrow, this is the deck to play.

I started running Darkrai Dargonair this weekend and went 19 - 7. In 4 of the 7 losses I significantly misplayed - had I not committed those errors, I'm 100% certain I would have won the game. The other three losses were against fighting decks. This deck will almost always lose to Carbink Zygarde or Passimian. No other type has beaten me though (like I said, I beat myself in those other 4 losses).

I tried this with Ho-Oh EX and went 2-4. With Xerneas Break I was 1 and 6. It might be worth trying with M Mewtwo, but Darkrai is definitely the way to go, and I'd be surprised if it didn't completely dominate the other Turbo Darkrai variants out there. I think that maybe it just needs something else (maybe Yveltal EX or the stage 2 evolution Dragonite?) to help with the fighting deck mismatches.

It is pretty surreal, though, to be able to attach 8, 9, or even 10 energy in one turn. Ranger can kill you though - if your opponent plays Ranger in the turn after you played Dragon's Wish, it wipes away the effect of the attack and you'll have to Dragon's Wish again.
Would you be able to PM me your list I want to try it out

Back