Discussion Best Partner for Decidueye-GX (Standard)

Pairing Decidueye GX with Tsareena could be pretty cool right? I was thinking of playing around with that, pulling there hand size down while whittling down their HP. Both take advantage of Devolution Spray and FoGP. Also maybe Yanmega BREAK who can help with chip damage.

Pairing Decidueye GX with Tsareena could be pretty cool right? I was thinking of playing around with that, pulling there hand size down while whittling down their HP. Both take advantage of Devolution Spray and FoGP. Also maybe Yanmega BREAK who can help with chip damage.
I think it might be fun to annoy the crap out of someone, but as far as actually winning the game it would be difficult. There isn't much prize draw, and with a max possible 4 Devo Spray you won't keep the lockdown forever. You could donk them if you are super lucky and just discard everything in their hand they could bench, but that requires a perfect hand for the first few turns, as well as multiple Devo Sprays, Puzzle of Time, and other such things. It seems like fun, but much too gimmicky and clunky.

My biggest problem when I've been playing Decidueye is the lack of a solid damage dealer in the decks I had it in. I've paired it with Trev-EX+Beedrill-EX, Tauros-GX, & Latios-EX (gotta get that donk) in the 3 main decks I play our favorite owl in, and it's remarkably hard in some circumstances to deal damage to garnish KOs sometimes. That might just be me and still learning how to manage my assets properly, but it's difficult in my experience.

I've said it in another thread, but there are 2 things I've played around with pairing with Decid (both are untested as of now though). Umbreon GX is the first one, and actually seems like it could put in some work and be fun. Shadow Bullet dealing 30 to something on the bench combines well in theory with Feather arrows all over the place, they don't share a weakness, and one of Umbreon's biggest faults is that it doesn't do a lot of outright damage (which Feather Arrow fixes again). One Shadow Bullet+Feather Arrow is a KO on an active Shaymin, so that's cool. It also allows for some fun plays with Max Potion: Strafe for chip damage, and switch in an energy-less Decidueye (because Decid often doesn't have many attached in the first place) with a Float Stone attached to tank whatever hit comes next. Then next turn retreat out to Umbreon again, Max Potion to heal Decid completely with no loss, and either keep the loop going or Shadow Bullet for the KO.

The other thing I played with on a drive somewhere, and seems like a terrible but potentially hilarious meme deck, is to pair Decidueye with Delta Plus Dustox. As reminder, that Ancient Trait lets you snag another prize whenever it KOs something. This pairing focuses on Dustox's second Attack, Wind Shard, which does 50 damage to one of your opponent's benched Pokemon, and the fact that both of them use FoGP to evolve fast. Whittling down with Feather Arrows first, and then bopping with Dustox could let you snag 3 prizes on a benched EX! It operates a bit like Meowth from Fates Collide that was mentioned in one of the articles recently, but with a more expensive energy cost (GCC), being limited to benched things, and an Ancient Trait. I think it would be WAY to clunky to take seriously, but it could be a fun one.

That's my thinking for now. Thoughts?

I've tried so many different versions of Decidueye/X I'm beginning to see owls in my sleep. Paired it with Yveltal, Tauros, Lugia, Lurantis, Umbreon, Espeon, Virizion, Trevenant, Pain Split Bronzong. My final conclusion is this is not a good card. No matter how I built my decks I've stayed behind in almost every game. Maybe I'm missing something extremely obvious or the pieces just haven't been put together in the right order. Until then I'm moving on.

I've started to lean towards that conclusion, it's just too easy to counter, at least in standard. Sadly I was overhyped.

My Decidueye-GX line is

4-4-4 Decidueye
4 Unown
2 Pidgeot-EX
1 Shaymin EX

10 Balls
4 FoGP
3 Switch
3 Random Receivers
2 Max Potion
2 Trainers' Mail
1 Revitalizer
1 Rotom Dex
4 Sycamore
2 N
1 Lysandre
1 Brock's Grit

4 Grass Energy
4 DCE

The list is far from perfect but I smash a lot of things with it. The problem is Decidueye's partners need to be very lite and IMO, Pidgeot works the best because you can combo effectively with 60 to 80 snipe ability a turn with Abilities and just sit on Mirror Move to do heavy damage or Feather Lance and deal 80 to the active and 20 to the bench. which combos very well with Decidueye's Feather Arrow Ability.

I've tried so many different versions of Decidueye/X I'm beginning to see owls in my sleep. Paired it with Yveltal, Tauros, Lugia, Lurantis, Umbreon, Espeon, Virizion, Trevenant, Pain Split Bronzong. My final conclusion is this is not a good card. No matter how I built my decks I've stayed behind in almost every game. Maybe I'm missing something extremely obvious or the pieces just haven't been put together in the right order. Until then I'm moving on.

I'll probably just message you about this later, but I'm starting to wondering if we should be running a copy of Rare Candy or two just for the extra acceleration. The problem I'm finding with Decidueye GX is that it simply doesn't do a whole lot, especially in a format that literally accelerates damage. 20 is nice and all, but what good is 20 extra damage when I'm already OHKO/2HKOing everything in the game within a turn or two? I must agree that the card is simply out of place right now, which does sadden me.

The other concern I have about Decidueye GX is that it suffers from having extremely average attacks. 90 Damage is not good for 3 Energy right now and its GX Attack is fairly situational and it takes a turn away from you doing damage to use, which is awful. Sure, you get 3 Cards, but what good does that do when you're in a losing situation? The only real reason you would even fathom using it is if you're ahead or if you're running something like Hammers, which could be an option, but probably not the best one.

The only other thing I could think that could work is if we partner it with something like Vileplume or another Pokemon that simply slows the Opponent down. Vileplume/Decidueye seems to be seeing some success at Anaheim (one person in T32 is playing it) and even though it is running 2 Stage 2 lines, it may be okay after all. I could see us running Decidueye with something like Alolan Muk as well to shut down Accelerating Basic Pokemon without having to take spaces from Forest of Giant Plants for Silent Labs. I'd have to have someone test these ideas since I currently cannot, but at least they're ideas.

Either way, it's not looking too great for the Owl at the moment. Let's hope we can find some more solutions.

-Asmer

Personally, I prefer to pair Decidueye-GX with the likes of Tauros-GX or even Beedrill to keep them at a distance for tool cards. This can become extreme useful when facing Darkrai or Yveltal decks, and there are plenty of answers to shut down Volcanion such as Silent Lab or Weakness Policy, and even having Tauros just stomp all over them. There are wonderful answers you just need to keep an eye out for them as the meta advances.

I've tried out the Decidueye-GX paired with Tauros-GX combined with devolution sprays and puzzle of times. This setup works fairly well if you can pull it off early enough in game when your opponent hasn't had ample time to set up anything meaningful.

The idea is to place down the Tauros-GX as active then place down Rowlett and get to your Decidueye-GX as quickly as possible during turn one with FoGP and Sycamore or some Timer/U-Balls. Keep discarding and U-balling then revitalize up until you have a full 4-4-4 line of Decidueye-GX turn one. Hit the mon they have out for 80 and then devolve and repeat.

If they manage to hit your tauros no big deal, next turn finish them off. If you aren't able to, then retreat for the Decidueye and pull up 3 devolution sprays and go to town on their mons. It works best if you throw in a couple of float stones and escape ropes so you can easily retreat in/out.

I've only play-tested a few matches with this setup type but it works fairly well. I'm currently at a 7-3 record for the deck.

Man now I need to go get another Decidueye GX! 3 just isn't enough.... danimal, do you run Sky field then too? Doesn't your bench get too clogged, or do you not run Shaymin?

Man now I need to go get another Decidueye GX! 3 just isn't enough.... danimal, do you run Sky field then too? Doesn't your bench get too clogged, or do you not run Shaymin?

No Shaymin. If I were to run with Shaymin, I'd use him for the set up ability then want to parallel city it away as soon as possible before setting up another Decidueye. But, in my test runs with Shaymin it didn't pan out so well for me. I've still got some tweaking to do to have a solid Decidueye/Tauros - Devolution deck going. I really think I could do a little bit more to squeeze some more performance out of it.

How would you use Devolution Spray with Decdiueye-GX?

If you have forest in play, you can devolve decidueye, re-evolve him, and use feather arrow again. The problem is that 4 devolution spray tend to clog up the deck. In all of the decks I've built with decidueye, I just don't have the deck space to fit them in. Are 4 slots in your deck worth 80 damage? Probably not.

You can re-use Devolution Spray while FoGP is out on the field. It allows you to then re-evolve into Decidueye-GX and feather arrow-snipe some mon again. Place in some puzzles and you can do it all over again next turn.

The best way for this strategy to work is if you had a quick first/second turn set up and denied your opponent anything. If they only had one/two pokemon out then the round would end quickly. So you really don't need deck space for other things to keep the game dragging out longer. And you could always hollow hunt to get back two puzzles and one devolution spray as well.

So I haven't tried this myself - and it's probably worth a shot - but now you're talking 8 extra item cards - 4 devolution spray and 4 puzzles. That feels like it's going to really clog up the deck. But like I said, it's probably worth trying. And why not? Pretty much everything else with Decidueye seems to work, it's a pretty amazing card.

I think it might be fun to annoy the crap out of someone, but as far as actually winning the game it would be difficult. There isn't much prize draw, and with a max possible 4 Devo Spray you won't keep the lockdown forever. You could donk them if you are super lucky and just discard everything in their hand they could bench, but that requires a perfect hand for the first few turns, as well as multiple Devo Sprays, Puzzle of Time, and other such things. It seems like fun, but much too gimmicky and clunky.

My biggest problem when I've been playing Decidueye is the lack of a solid damage dealer in the decks I had it in. I've paired it with Trev-EX+Beedrill-EX, Tauros-GX, & Latios-EX (gotta get that donk) in the 3 main decks I play our favorite owl in, and it's remarkably hard in some circumstances to deal damage to garnish KOs sometimes. That might just be me and still learning how to manage my assets properly, but it's difficult in my experience.

I've said it in another thread, but there are 2 things I've played around with pairing with Decid (both are untested as of now though). Umbreon GX is the first one, and actually seems like it could put in some work and be fun. Shadow Bullet dealing 30 to something on the bench combines well in theory with Feather arrows all over the place, they don't share a weakness, and one of Umbreon's biggest faults is that it doesn't do a lot of outright damage (which Feather Arrow fixes again). One Shadow Bullet+Feather Arrow is a KO on an active Shaymin, so that's cool. It also allows for some fun plays with Max Potion: Strafe for chip damage, and switch in an energy-less Decidueye (because Decid often doesn't have many attached in the first place) with a Float Stone attached to tank whatever hit comes next. Then next turn retreat out to Umbreon again, Max Potion to heal Decid completely with no loss, and either keep the loop going or Shadow Bullet for the KO.

The other thing I played with on a drive somewhere, and seems like a terrible but potentially hilarious meme deck, is to pair Decidueye with Delta Plus Dustox. As reminder, that Ancient Trait lets you snag another prize whenever it KOs something. This pairing focuses on Dustox's second Attack, Wind Shard, which does 50 damage to one of your opponent's benched Pokemon, and the fact that both of them use FoGP to evolve fast. Whittling down with Feather Arrows first, and then bopping with Dustox could let you snag 3 prizes on a benched EX! It operates a bit like Meowth from Fates Collide that was mentioned in one of the articles recently, but with a more expensive energy cost (GCC), being limited to benched things, and an Ancient Trait. I think it would be WAY to clunky to take seriously, but it could be a fun one.

That's my thinking for now. Thoughts?

I have tried using the Delta Plus Dustox, and I have to say it's quite a delicious combination. The idea is that even though you snipe an opposing Pokémon with Feather Arrow multiple times, Dustox will have the last move. And assuming you have all four Decidueye GX on the bench, anything with 130 HP or less will be knocked out in one turn. Just wanted to show my favor of that.

Hey VillagerHoss - excellent job of seeing the synergy here! Would you mind posting the list in the garage? I tried monkeying around with this some today and didn't have much luck. Just wondering how many lines of Decidueye and Dustox you're running and what items and supporters you're using.

Ok, I will put up that list ASAP. But one thing that makes this different from other Decidueye GX decks is that I get a bit of luck with a few Timer Ball. And Rotom Dex is OK to use when I have all the Pokémon I need on the field.

Back