• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Expanded Solgaleo/Bronzong

Expert_Occultist

Magic card player
Mons (18)
3 Bronzor (FC)
3 Bronzong (PF)
3 Cosmog (SM)
1 Cosmoem (SM)
3 Solgaleo GX (SM)
2 Shaymin EX (RS)
1 Aegislash EX (PF)
1 Dialga EX (PF)
1 Giratina (promo)

Trainers (33)
4 Battle Compressor
4 Trainer's Mail
1 Computer Search
3 Ultra Ball
2 Level Ball
3 Rare Candy
4 VS Seeker
2 Sky Field
3 Professor Sycamore
1 N
1 Xerosic
1 Lysander
1 Karen
1 Ghethsis
1 Colress
1 Professor Kukui (bumps Solgaleo to 250 damage to kill random Decidueyes but more importantly, bumps Dialga to 170)

9 Metal Energy
Set up the cat cannon, fire, reload! I'm sure you've seen Bronzong based metal decks before. Solgaleo requires more setup than other Bronzong abusers but provides its own free retreat using Ultra Road and hits REALLY hard. Xerosic stops Garbodor, Karen stops nightmarch, Ghethsis is fun to Compress and use on the first turn. I scoop to Archeops but that's not too common.
Feedback is appreciated :)

Last edited:
I would DEFINITELY run 2-3 max potions, because Solgaleo's attack requires it to discard all energies anyways. Solgaleo GX has superbly high HP as well, so max potion would be especially useful.

A very good idea for sure but I'm not sure what to take out. Maybe AZ and Ghethsis since they don't further my plan as much as other cards.

Love the list, but I do want to know if there is a good replacement for the Shaymins. I don't have any and currently I only know of Oranguru as a good draw support that wouldn't take up 4 deck slots. I just want to know if you tested it Shayminless and if it tested well.

I haven't tested it without Shaymin and I think you will lose speed for sure. I'll leave testing Oranguru up to you and I'd love to hear about the results :)

I tested it with Oranguru and it worked perfectly fine. I run 2 and I'm always able to get good hands on turn 2 or 3 to start hitting early on. The only struggles I've faced are volcanion and archeops but archeops isn't very common and volcanion isn't big in expanded anyways.

I would stock at least a megaphone, tool scrapper or a xerosic to counter Garbodor which would turn off both Ultra Road and Metal Links, meaning you could not cycle Solgaleos and power them up on the bench. Keldeo Float Stone is included in many builds that feature acceleration to bench sitters like Bronzong and Eels. That still wouldn't help in cases like Wobbuffet, Garbodor or Hex Maniac.

edit:
duh. I see Xerosic. And with 4 compressors you probably have it whenever you want it, NVM.

I'd better update my list:
Mons (18)
3 Bronzor (FC)
3 Bronzong (PF)
3 Cosmog (SM)
1 Cosmoem (SM)
3 Solgaleo GX (SM)
2 Shaymin EX (RS)
1 Aegislash EX (PF)
1 Dialga EX (PF)
1 Giratina (promo)

Trainers (33)
4 Battle Compressor
4 Trainer's Mail
1 Computer Search
3 Ultra Ball
2 Level Ball
3 Rare Candy
4 VS Seeker
2 Sky Field
3 Professor Sycamore
1 N
1 Xerosic
1 Lysander
1 Karen (I've never lost a Nightmarch game. In other matchups you refill your deck if your Bronzongs are being heavily targeted)
1 Ghethsis (I love this as a first turn Compress>VS Seeker. "Oops, I win" moments are are good to me. At the very least it forces action from your opponent to find the things they just lost)
1 Colress
1 Professor Kukui (bumps Solgaleo to 250 damage to kill random Decidueyes but more importantly, bumps Dialga to 170)

9 Metal Energy

I'd better update my list:
Mons (18)
3 Bronzor (FC)
3 Bronzong (PF)
3 Cosmog (SM)
1 Cosmoem (SM)
3 Solgaleo GX (SM)
2 Shaymin EX (RS)
1 Aegislash EX (PF)
1 Dialga EX (PF)
1 Giratina (promo)

Trainers (33)
4 Battle Compressor
4 Trainer's Mail
1 Computer Search
3 Ultra Ball
2 Level Ball
3 Rare Candy
4 VS Seeker
2 Sky Field
3 Professor Sycamore
1 N
1 Xerosic
1 Lysander
1 Karen (I've never lost a Nightmarch game. In other matchups you refill your deck if your Bronzongs are being heavily targeted)
1 Ghethsis (I love this as a first turn Compress>VS Seeker. "Oops, I win" moments are are good to me. At the very least it forces action from your opponent to find the things they just lost)
1 Colress

9 Metal Energy

I like this bottom list a lot. You need one Metal Fortress (Fates) Bronzong for the Greninja / Trevenant match ups. It stops Shadow Stitching and Silent Fear. Using that + Giratina pretty much owns those match ups. I run that combination in my Rayquaza / Eelektross deck and there is far less synergy there than in your deck.

I forgot about that Bronzong! Thanks for the input :) Would you then run 4-4 Bronzong line (with one Fortress Zong of coarse) or would you keep it at 3-3?

I forgot about that Bronzong! Thanks for the input :) Would you then run 4-4 Bronzong line (with one Fortress Zong of coarse) or would you keep it at 3-3?

It is so situational that I would probably run a 3-4 line. 3 Bronzor + 3 Metal Links + 1 Metal Fortress. You don't need it most match ups. If you were going to get the 4th Bronzor in, it would be to ensure you don't run into the huge misfortune of prizing two of them. I doubt you need the 4th 95% of the time though. Saves you from being forced to use a Karen to get one back though I guess :)

Magearna doesn't seem too important since ideally you will have Solgaleo with 0 energy attached by your opponent's turn. But Metal Fortress Bronzong looks nice.

-1 Magearna-EX (STS)
+1 Bronzong (FCO)

There is not much to do against Volcanion but accept the loss it appears, unfortunately...

Magearna doesn't seem too important since ideally you will have Solgaleo with 0 energy attached by your opponent's turn. But Metal Fortress Bronzong looks nice.

-1 Magearna-EX (STS)
+1 Bronzong (FCO)

There is not much to do against Volcanion but accept the loss it appears, unfortunately...
My current list doesn't run Magearna. I'll update the OP

Edit: Still haven't found a spot for Fortress Zong. Deck space is tight :(

Last edited:
Die horribly? In my experience Volcanion isn't a common deck in Expanded anyway :p
With all the hype regarding G decks (e.g., Lurantis GX) and G-techs (Decidueye GX), a few of my poke pals are considering running Volcanion decks. It will be interesting to see if there will be some players running Volcanion decks at the upcoming Midwest tournament. After all, in Expanded format play, these players regain Blacksmith use which will be another asset to an already strong deck. Then, just a few tweaks are then needed for the Dark deck match-ups, IMO.

With all the hype regarding G decks (e.g., Lurantis GX) and G-techs (Decidueye GX), a few of my poke pals are considering running Volcanion decks. It will be interesting to see if there will be some players running Volcanion decks at the upcoming Midwest tournament. After all, in Expanded format play, these players regain Blacksmith use which will be another asset to an already strong deck. Then, just a few tweaks are then needed for the Dark deck match-ups, IMO.
I agree that Volc gets some fun toys in expanded (compressor is tasty in that deck too) but time will tell if the deck actually puts up the results. For now, I'm not worried as I don't see it much currently.

Back