Discussion Golduck SM1 Viability

Sword.N

Aspiring Trainer
For those who don't know this card:

#13 Golduck – Water – HP90
Stage 1 – Evolves from Psyduck

[C] Scratch: 20 damage.

[W] Double Jet: 60x damage. Discard up to 2 [W] energy cards from your hand. This attack does 60 damage times the number of cards discarded.

Weakness: Grass (X2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: none

I'm thinking about a deck with Golduck,Starmie evo and Octillery bkt.All the pokemons have access to Dive Ball and Level Ball.With the help of Starmie,Golduck can hit 120 steadily every turn.The deck may be fast and powerful in my view.

Here's an example list I built in 5 mins,just to show what the deck might look like ;)

--16 Pokemons
4-4 Golduck
2-2 Starmie
2-2 Octillery

--35 Trainers
4 Level Ball
4 Dive Ball
4 Vs Seeker
2 Super Rod
2 Professor's Letter
1 Energy Retrieval
3 Trainer's Mail

4 Professor Sycamore
2 N
1 Professor Kukui
2 Lysandre
1 Deliquent

2 Float Stone
3 Bursting Balloon

--9 Energies
9 Water Energy

What do you think about the idea or this card?Feel free to give your oppinions.

Last edited:
Only issue is that hitting 120 isn't that great, especially since it looks like a lot of stage 2 GX are going to have 250 HP. Raichu can do more damage more sustainably and doesn't completely shut down to ability lock. Also, you mean Starmie EVO.

Only issue is that hitting 120 isn't that great, especially since it looks like a lot of stage 2 GX are going to have 250 HP. Raichu can do more damage more sustainably and doesn't completely shut down to ability lock. Also, you mean Starmie EVO.
Thanks for pointing out my mistake about Starmie.
Comparing with Raichu,Golduck don't need to dig for a DCE to attack,also it don't require a large bench size,easier to set up and won't be destroyed by Parallel City.For the 250 GXs,I consider running Professor Kukui to turn it into a 2HKO.It can work well with Octillery.As for Garbodor,you can use Energy Retrieval or Professor's Letter to get 2 energies,then Lysandre and kill it.
But you got the point that Golduck can't hit for larger number.It may have a hard time fighting against Damage Change,and auto-loss to Greninja.Thinking about techs for the machups.

Energy Retrieval is nice in the face of ability lock. Bursting Balloon would also be a great tool choice to nab your KOs quicker.

Maybe you'd like to add some Golduck BREAK, as it boosts Golduck's HP to 140 and gives you some nice support via it's ability, which can be paired with Max Potion. If you think that M Mewtwo is a real problem, you can tech a 1-of Mew EX. First ko Garbodor, and then put on the table Mew Ex as a surprise.

Maybe you'd like to add some Golduck BREAK, as it boosts Golduck's HP to 140 and gives you some nice support via it's ability, which can be paired with Max Potion. If you think that M Mewtwo is a real problem, you can tech a 1-of Mew EX. First ko Garbodor, and then put on the table Mew Ex as a surprise.
Mew-EX is a good tech against Mewtwo,but it can't deal with Garbodor because it also rely on its ability to attack.
Golduck Break is interesting for the 140 HP.It would survive under some attacks such as M Scizor or Giratina.Also it won't be knocked out with a 120 Damage Change.
Instead of Max Potion,I'd prefer splash energy to recycle all the ducks.Max Potion is not that useful in the early game when you only have baby Golduck.
Thanks for your wisdom:)

Last edited:
Mew-EX is a good tech against Mewtwo,but it can't deal with Garbodor because it also rely on its ability to attack.
Golduck Break is interesting for the 140 HP.It would survive under some attacks such as M Scizor or Giratina.Also it won't be knocked out with a 120 Damage Change.
Instead of Max Potion,I'd prefer splash energy to recycle all the ducks.Max Potion is not that useful in the early game when you only have baby Golduck.
Thanks for your wisdom:)
You can at least Lysandre their Garb and smash it in one shot with Golduck. That should help if you choose to run Mew-EX.

I think that this deck can be fun and fast, however there are decks that hit for more on turn 1. I would say add in 2 copies of Wally along with Bursting Balloon. But who knows, maybe after EXs have rotated and the format has slowed down, decks that can 2HKO will be better.

If you're running Bursting Balloon as your main tool, I'd definitely recommend adding 1/2 Eco Arms just for the fact that they're very intimidating and frightening for your opponent (especially after you've already applied pressure to them), and this allows you to stream bursting balloons for more than twice as many turns.

I think that this deck can be fun and fast, however there are decks that hit for more on turn 1. I would say add in 2 copies of Wally along with Bursting Balloon. But who knows, maybe after EXs have rotated and the format has slowed down, decks that can 2HKO will be better.
Wally is not necessary because Golduck is only stage 1,the deck don't rely on Golduck Break to attack.

Wally is not necessary because Golduck is only stage 1,the deck don't rely on Golduck Break to attack.
Wally is used to be able to attack on your first turn. Without it, you'll have a Psyduck as practically a a free prize. You could say he would be a sitting duck.

I know you're going the non-ex/gx route, but if you added in a break or two, and a lapras gx, and like what was said above you could play max potion and such and just chip away while healing. Also, with so many non-exs and evolutions, brigette could be a cool inclusion. Im pretty sure it will also be able to grab gxs too so it would make your setup really easy.

I know you're going the non-ex/gx route, but if you added in a break or two, and a lapras gx, and like what was said above you could play max potion and such and just chip away while healing. Also, with so many non-exs and evolutions, brigette could be a cool inclusion. Im pretty sure it will also be able to grab gxs too so it would make your setup really easy.
I can't see any use of Lapras in the deck.It only act as a Kangaskhan-EX.As for Max Potion,I need to wait to see the new SuMo metagame.If there's not so many decks that can OHKO Golduck Break,then I'll consider Max Potion.Brightte is a good card to include,and I like the idea of pulling GXs out with Brightte.

Blizzard burn or whatever Lapras' second attack is is why I mentioned it. If you get 3 energy in play you can swap between lapras and hit 160 every turn and constantly heal. With a fury belt you hit 170 and have 230 hp, its a pretty tough thing to respond to.
I can't see any use of Lapras in the deck.It only act as a Kangaskhan-EX.As for Max Potion,I need to wait to see the new SuMo metagame.If there's not so many decks that can OHKO Golduck Break,then I'll consider Max Potion.Brightte is a good card to include,and I like the idea of pulling GXs out with Brightte.

Blizzard burn or whatever Lapras' second attack is is why I mentioned it. If you get 3 energy in play you can swap between lapras and hit 160 every turn and constantly heal. With a fury belt you hit 170 and have 230 hp, its a pretty tough thing to respond to.
Lapras can't attack in the next turn after using its 160 attack,and 3 energies is a big deal to attach without Max Elixar.

At that point you might as well be playing a Lapras GX deck.

This is the list I'm working on right now.
Pokémon - 16
4-4 Golduck
2-2 Starmie
2-2 Octillery

Energy - 9
6 Water Energy
3 Splash Energy

Trainers - 35
4 Professor Sycamore
2 Wally
2 N
2 Lysandre
1 Hex Maniac

4 Dive Ball
4 Level Ball
4 VS Seeker
4 Trainers' Mail
2 Float Stone
1 Super Rod
1 Professor's Letter
4 Bursting Balloon

I want to fit in a Mew EX and maybe an energy retrieval and another's professor's letter. Maybe a Shaymin EX to make a turn one attack for likely. And maybe an eco arm. I have no clue what to take out though.

I think this will be a great card as it is a stage 1 non GX or EX that hits easily 120 for 1 (or 3 if you include the 2 you can discard) so I think it will be become an amazing card. However with the increasing HP of some Pokémon now (more have 250 now) your going to have a hard time against high hp Pokémon and especially Pokémon like Lurantis GX and even Mega Sceptile especially. I thinks it is decent but not good enough. Like your list though! :D

Thanks for pointing out my mistake about Starmie.
Comparing with Raichu,Golduck don't need to dig for a DCE to attack,also it don't require a large bench size,easier to set up and won't be destroyed by Parallel City.For the 250 GXs,I consider running Professor Kukui to turn it into a 2HKO.It can work well with Octillery.As for Garbodor,you can use Energy Retrieval or Professor's Letter to get 2 energies,then Lysandre and kill it.
But you got the point that Golduck can't hit for larger number.It may have a hard time fighting against Damage Change,and auto-loss to Greninja.Thinking about techs for the machups.

Have you considered running a 1-1-1 line of Eevee, Flareon, and Jolteon? with those cards, as well as Mew EX, you could cover for several weaknesses and possibly hit more OHKO's in our current format. The reason I say a 1-1-1 line is because you typically only need one of the evolutions and if Eevee gets prized, it's not the end of the world.

I was just studying the new set last night and Golduck was definitely one of the more interesting cards. If a crappy deck like Bees & Zebras can be playable in a meta filled with Yveltal/Garb then Golduck certainly has some promise when it can turn 2 OHKO everything on Volcanion's board - as a Volcanion player myself, that's very pertinent. It may only survive as a hard counter deck, but in this narrow meta, that has validity.

The build certainly has to be right, which will take some experimenting. Max Potion/Rough Seas would be annoying but may be too many slots to dedicate to a Plan B strategy. Same goes for Wally - I think if you're dedicating slots to a Supporter like that, Bridgette might be more preferable. Actually, a Volcanion-like build with 3-4 Energy Retrievals and a Fisherman could be neat. It would make 4 Ultra Balls essential as a way to get multiple Water Energies in the ditch without Compressor.

I'm also not sold on Splash Energies either. You're not trying to recover huge lines of Frogs. Consistently hitting 120 every turn seems more important.

As far as Stadiums, it would depend on if you're playing Mew-EX, because I think Silent Lab would be awesome.

ATM, I'd try this:

-2 Wally
-1 Hex
+1 Fisherman
+1 Bridgette

-4 Level Ball
-4 Balloons
+4 Ultra Ball
+3 Energy Retrieval

+2 Silent Lab

-3 Splash
+2 Water