• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard (UPDATED)Vespiquen/Yeveltal/Slowking (First Competitive Deck)

Amwolf-Music

Aspiring Trainer
UPDATED!I have updated the deck list in a new reply to this post, you will see it.

I recently got back into the TCG of Pokemon, and I was going to wait until Sun and Moon Base to come out to go fully competitive, but I randomly built this deck, and I am hoping for some feedback and tips. Before you say I should add these next cards, I am going to try and get a Town Map or a Here Comes Team Rocket!, or N. ^^

Pokemon:
1x Jolteon EX 28/83 Generations
1x Regice 24/98 Ancient Origins
1x Mr. Mime 52/83 Generations
1x Slowpoke 19/122 Break Point
1x Slowking 21/122 Break Point
3x Unown 30/98 Ancient Origins
2x Yveltal RC16/RC32 Generations
1x Yveltal BREAK 66/114 Steam Siege
2x Combee 9/98 Ancient Origins
1x Vespiquen 10/98 Ancient Origins
2x Rattata 66/108 Evolutions
1x Raticate 67/108 Evolutions

Trainers:
1x Hex Maniac 75/98 Ancient Origins
1x Red Card 71/83 Generations
1x Energy Retrieval 77/108 Evolutions
1x Special Charge 105/114 Steam Siege
1x Max Elixir 102/122 Break Point
1x Pokemon Center Lady 93/106 Flashfire (Is this still legal?)
1x Trainers' Mail 92/108 Roaring Skies
1x Revive 85/108 Evolutions
1x Evosoda 62/83 Generations
1x Crushing Hammer 34/39 (Its from some sort of XY Trainer set)
1x Misty's Determination 104/122 Break Point
1x Pokedex 82/108 Evolutions
1x Steven 90/108 Roaring Skies
1x Potion 106/122 Break Point
1x Exp. Share 128/160 Primal Clash
1x Fighting Fury Belt 99/122 Break Point
3x Switch91/108 Roaring Skies
3x Professor's Letter 123/146 XY (I'm more than sure this is legal)
3x Ultra Ball 93/108 Roaring Skies
3x Tierno 112/122 Break Point

Energy:
1x Electric Energy
3x Water Energy
7x Dark Energy
4x Double Colorless

It's a Vespiquen deck, so you know how it works, if my only Vespiquen is prized, then I can work around it with the Yveltal Break or Slowking, Jolteon is there for stalling as well as Regice just in case I can't get my hand to work for me. Red card is also there to stall or reduce my opponent's hand if it gets to large and suspicious to me. Mr. Mime is only there for the Bench Barrier, and the Unown for the discards. The Fighting Fury Belt will most of the time go to Vespiquen or Slowking, and the Exp. Share to a pokemon that needs energy right before one of my pokemon get knocked out. I've only played it once, and for 30 minutes, no one got any prizes because we were either setting up, or the opponent was switching EX cards around and I had my Regice in the active and kept moving evergy from their Active with Slowking. Vespiquen was on the bench, but I was waiting for them to get the Regice as I know they do have non-EX pokemon in their deck.

Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Read Fighting Fury Belt carefully, it won't work on Slowking or Vespiquen. It only works on basics. You can still attach it, but it won't provide any benefit.

Do you have VS seeker? Those are normally a 4 of in just about every deck. You'll also want at least one Lysandre to pull up a specific Pokémon, you mention that the opponent retreating was a weakness of the deck.

N and Professor Sycamore would be better than Tierno, the Professor even more so in a Vespiquen deck since you want to discard cards.

Pokémon Center Lady, Professor's Letter and Crushing hammer are all standard legal. They were reprinted in Generations, Breakthrough, and Generations respectively. That being said personally I think 3 letter's would be too much. I'd run one, maybe two max.

Read Fighting Fury Belt carefully, it won't work on Slowking or Vespiquen. It only works on basics. You can still attach it, but it won't provide any benefit.

Do you have VS seeker? Those are normally a 4 of in just about every deck. You'll also want at least one Lysandre to pull up a specific Pokémon, you mention that the opponent retreating was a weakness of the deck.

N and Professor Sycamore would be better than Tierno, the Professor even more so in a Vespiquen deck since you want to discard cards.

Pokémon Center Lady, Professor's Letter and Crushing hammer are all standard legal. They were reprinted in Generations, Breakthrough, and Generations respectively. That being said personally I think 3 letter's would be too much. I'd run one, maybe two max.
I don't have any of those cards, I plan to take it to a league this Sunday and use it there, and tweak it accordingly. I made this mostly from loose packs or theme decks, including a few trades here and there, I am going to try and get an N into here, and I do have a few people who will trade Sycamores to me. I'll update it later on down the line.

The Fighting Fury Belt is for the basic forms of my 2 main attackers, I always forget to mention that, whoops.

I recently got back into the TCG of Pokemon, and I was going to wait until Sun and Moon Base to come out to go fully competitive, but I randomly built this deck, and I am hoping for some feedback and tips. Before you say I should add these next cards, I am going to try and get a Town Map or a Here Comes Team Rocket!, or N. ^^

Pokemon:
1x Jolteon EX 28/83 Generations
1x Regice 24/98 Ancient Origins
1x Mr. Mime 52/83 Generations
1x Slowpoke 19/122 Break Point
3x Unown 30/98 Ancient Origins
2x Yveltal RC16/RC32 Generations
1x Yveltal BREAK 66/114 Steam Siege
2x Combee 9/98 Ancient Origins
1x Vespiquen 10/98 Ancient Origins
2x Rattata 66/108 Evolutions
1x Raticate 67/108 Evolutions

Trainers:
1x Hex Maniac 75/98 Ancient Origins
1x Red Card 71/83 Generations
1x Energy Retrieval 77/108 Evolutions
1x Max Elixir 102/122 Break Point
1x Pokemon Center Lady 93/106 Flashfire (Is this still legal?)
1x Trainers' Mail 92/108 Roaring Skies
1x Revive 85/108 Evolutions
1x Evosoda 62/83 Generations
1x Crushing Hammer 34/39 (Its from some sort of XY Trainer set)
1x Misty's Determination 104/122 Break Point
1x Pokedex 82/108 Evolutions
1x Steven 90/108 Roaring Skies
1x Potion 106/122 Break Point
1x Exp. Share 128/160 Primal Clash
1x Fighting Fury Belt 99/122 Break Point
3x Switch91/108 Roaring Skies
3x Professor's Letter 123/146 XY (I'm more than sure this is legal)
3x Ultra Ball 93/108 Roaring Skies
3x Tierno 112/122 Break Point

Energy:
1x Electric Energy
3x Water Energy
7x Dark Energy
4x Double Colorless

It's a Vespiquen deck, so you know how it works, if my only Vespiquen is prized, then I can work around it with the Yveltal Break or Slowking, Jolteon is there for stalling as well as Regice just in case I can't get my hand to work for me. Red card is also there to stall or reduce my opponent's hand if it gets to large and suspicious to me. Mr. Mime is only there for the Bench Barrier, and the Unown for the discards. The Fighting Fury Belt will most of the time go to Vespiquen or Slowking, and the Exp. Share to a pokemon that needs energy right before one of my pokemon get knocked out. I've only played it once, and for 30 minutes, no one got any prizes because we were either setting up, or the opponent was switching EX cards around and I had my Regice in the active and kept moving evergy from their Active with Slowking. Vespiquen was on the bench, but I was waiting for them to get the Regice as I know they do have non-EX pokemon in their deck.

Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated!

Whatever you do decide to do, you want to remember that consistency wins games. If you're really trying to be competitive, then see if you can limit the different types of cards you use and try to increase the amount of cards that you really need. I know you said you built the deck from scratch, so that might be hard. A quick suggestion... If you're willing to drop around $30-40 dollars, go to a walmart and buy the Keldo/Rayquaza battle them decks. You get some excellent staple cards including 2 vs seekers. Just some food for thought. :)

Whatever you do decide to do, you want to remember that consistency wins games. If you're really trying to be competitive, then see if you can limit the different types of cards you use and try to increase the amount of cards that you really need. I know you said you built the deck from scratch, so that might be hard. A quick suggestion... If you're willing to drop around $30-40 dollars, go to a walmart and buy the Keldo/Rayquaza battle them decks. You get some excellent staple cards including 2 vs seekers. Just some food for thought. :)
I would be more than willing in order to get some Vs. Seekers, I plan on modifying the deck, removing some trainers I dont really need and such, I might dig up my older cards and find reprinted cards to use, I remember having a Vs. Seeker in that pile of old beat up cards. Any theme decks with Lysandre or N, maybe even Sycamore?

I would be more than willing in order to get some Vs. Seekers, I plan on modifying the deck, removing some trainers I dont really need and such, I might dig up my older cards and find reprinted cards to use, I remember having a Vs. Seeker in that pile of old beat up cards. Any theme decks with Lysandre or N, maybe even Sycamore?

Here is a link to both deck lists that are included in the package. The page includes an in-depth list of the cards that are included in each deck. :)

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Battle_Arena_Decks:_Rayquaza_vs_Keldeo_(TCG)

Battle Arena decks have several competitive trainers, including VS Seeker and N/Sycamore/Lysandre. Some of the theme decks might have one or two of the more common ones like N or Sycamore, but I don't think any have VS Seeker. Seth Falls mentioned the newest one, Rayqueza/Keldeo, but there are a few others. Be aware that these are specifically made to be expanded decks, so not everything will be standard legal, but many things are. The Ray/Keldeo one gives you lots of water support between both halves, including 2 VS seekers, 2 Dive Balls, 2 Rough seas, just to name a few.

They also have a few shiny energy, which some people really like.

Interesting deck, but there are a few ways I think that you could improve this deck.
First of all, the 1 of techs... Yes, sometimes you only run 1 of a card, but running only 1 of most of the cards in your deck? That is where you're losing consistency. To solve this, I recommend getting rid of any cards that you rarely use, along with cards such as red card, energy retrieval, revive, max elixir, Steven, and Pokedex, that just aren't too helpful for the deck. Now, if you are going to buy the Battle Arena Deck, I would use it as the main support for your deck. If you do, then I would only keep trainers like Trainer's Mail, Ultra Ball, maybe Misty's determination, hex maniac, and super charge. Everything else I would switch for the Battle Arena trainers, because they are just much more consistent overall. But this your deck, so I mostly recommend just playing the deck, seeing how it runs, and edit your deck as you see fit. These are just my recommendations. Hope this helps!:)

Pokemon-11 Pokemon
2x Yveltal RC16/RC32
1x Yeveltal Break
2x Slowpoke 19/122 Break Point
1x Eevee 63/98 Ancient Origins
1x Vaporeon 22/98 Ancient Origins
1x Zapdos 23/108 Roaring Skies
1x White Kyurem XY 81
1x Jolteon EX 28/83 Gen

Trainers-24 Trainers
4x Tierno 112/122 Break Point
4x Switch 88/108 Evo
4x Professor's Letter 123/146 XY
2x Wally RC27/RC32
2x Pokwmon Fan Club 107/124 Fates Collide
2x Great Ball 100/122 Break Point
2x Energy Recycler
1x Professor Birch's Observations
1x Acro Bike 122/106 Primal Clash
1x Max Elixer 102/122 Break Point

Energy-25 Energy
8x Lightning
6x Water
6x Dark
4x DCE
1x Double Dragon

Removed Vespiquen since I wasn't using it in play, and got rid of the dead weight. I do plan to add another Max Elixer or Double Dragon, but right now, it seems like people want them instead of trading for them lol. I did test the deck today, and good news, it was consistent and gave me the right cards when I needed them. Wally is there for the Eevee or Yveltal or Slowpoke, I realized having a Slowpoke (haha) in the beginning is helpful for the fact you can search for its evolution or fish out another pokwmon you really need so I increased that. I decided to go with the supporters I had because they just help, especially when all you have in active is a Zapdos and nothing else, I quickly pulled out pokemon. I usually didn't start with the energy I needed, but I did mostly get the Professor's Letter and just grabbed what I needed, this is just a base build, I do plan on updating it before this Sunday when I get to test how competitive it is in a tounament/league (.-.). I will update you guys then on how well it worked.

Back