• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Giratina/Darkrai/Garb

dudedude

Aspiring Trainer
Hey all, making a pretty general Giratina/Darkrai deck. I've seen how well it's doing, and my interest has been peaked. Currently, I'm running-

Mons-14

2 Shaymin EX ROS 77
2 Hydreigon EX ROS 62
2 Giratina EX AOR 57
1 Hoopa EX AOR 36
3 Darkrai EX BKP 74
2 Garbodor BKP 57
2 Trubbish BKP 56

Trainers-34
2 Enhanced Hammer PRC 94
3 VS Seeker ROS 110
4 Ultra Ball ROS 93
3 Trainers Mail ROS 92
2 Lysandre AOR 78
2 Super Rod BKT 149
2 Float Stone BKT 137
4 Max Elixir BKP 102
4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
3 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99
2 Reverse Valley BKP 110
2 N FTC 105
1 Special Charge STS 105

Energy-12
4 Double Dragon Energy ROS 97
8 Dark Energy GEN 81

Notes:
Reverse Valley helps Darkrai bust through some more damage barriers, plus, it bumps other stadiums out of the way. I'm open to other suggestions, though.

8 energy may be a little slim to truly harness the power of 4 Elixirs. I would add more, but space is tight.

I find myself often running into a jam packed bench- I get an excellent first turn, say, I start with Tina, UB for Hoopa, bench it for Rai, Hydreigon, and Shay, draw into Garb, and boom, I'm stuck. I'm really considering Ninja Boy, but again, space is tight.

I understand most lists do not include Hydreigon at all, let alone two. I include two because the ability helps, especially in the earlygame, and because it busts out of many harmful locks. Plus, more spaces to attach DDE for Rai.

Enhanced Hammer is a difficult case- Tina locks Special Energy, but so many decks are reliant on a strong start, Rainbow Road, Mega Ray, etc., that it may already be too late by turn two when Tina is set up. I find Enhanced Hammers to be incredibly helpful, especially because Tina is more of a niche attacker. Plus, I hate Crushing Hammer. I always lose the flips.

3 FF Belts may seem like a lot, but I'd almost rather play four, if I could. It really helps to achieve mega hp with basics.

Special Charge is rather niche, but it helps for running into Scizor, and Crushing Hammers and the like. The deck really flourishes off of DDE. Losing them to discard is deadly.

Two rods is probably one, or even two too many. Looking to change that?

That about sums up my notes, I'm going to a league challenge in three days' time, and I'd like to be well equipped. Thanks for reading all this, and I really do welcome and encourage all opinions. I'm rather new to the current TCG, I played waaaay back in the HGSS era, but dropped the game for a while. I recently returned at the end of the 2015-2016 Season. I digress, and I've gone on too long anyways. Thanks for your help.

Garbodor locks off Hydreigon's ability which is mainly what it is used for. I would probably only play one of them. If you really want to play both, you could consider sky field over reverse valley.

Garbodor locks off Hydreigon's ability which is mainly what it is used for. I would probably only play one of them. If you really want to play both, you could consider sky field over reverse valley.

Interesting, what I've been operating with is that I want a deck that doesn't autoloss to semi-common threats. For example, Scizor autolosses to Volcanion, Mega Ray has serious problems with electric types and other stadiums, Mega Mewtwo struggles with energy discard. My deck would struggle against Regice and Jolteon, which are played frequently in my area, (believe it or not) if I lost Hydreigon's attack, which ignores effects. The ability is sort of a nice to have, not a need to have, if you catch my drift.

I also really need to counter Road and Mega Ray, and playing Sky Field is basically yielding to the unholy power of those decks.

I know someone at the league I go to who played Tina, VPlume, and Garb all in one deck. It actually worked, because you could adjust to what you felt like your opponent needed, and adjust your different locks. I think I'm doing this on a smaller scale. If I really need Hydreigon's ability, I can simply not play Garb until I have the opportunity to go unhindered. In this meta, that is so ability dependent, Garb is really really nice.

Interesting advice, thanks for your input.

Following are a few comments for your consideration:
  • Hydreigon EX's Ability will be nullified as soon as Garbotoxin is effective.
  • Parrallel City is a GREAT Stadium to run when you have unnecessary/no longer needed Pokemon (e.g., Shaymin EX) on your bench. It also can be used to limit/reduce Rayquaza EX or Rainbow Force deck players bench to just 3 too - which reduces his/her main attacker's damage output.
  • 2 Enhanced Hammers seem excessive.
  • Why no Yveltal EX (still one of the best attackers in the game)?
  • Why no Yveltal (GEN) for discarded D energy recovery?
Suggested changes:
-2 Hydreigon EX
-1 Darkrai EX - 2 should be sufficient
-1 Enhanced Hammer
-1 Super Rod - 1 should be sufficient

+1 Yveltal EX
+1 Yveltal
+1 Ninja Boy - great in this deck
+1 Team Flare Grunt - a bit more versatile than a 2nd Enhanced Hammer, IMO
+1 Parallel City

Personal preferences:

• A 4th VS Seeker is more important than a 3rd Trainer's Mail.
  • Incorporating an Olympia can very helpful for switching and some minor healing.
I hope you find these comments helpful.

Back