Discussion What Kind of TCG Player Are You?

I don't really care about the experience of my opponent. If they're experienced, awesome. If they aren't, that's cool too. As long as we're both trying our best and having fun.

For the record, I didn't mean about your opponent's level of experience but their experience when playing the game e.g. are is your opponent enjoying his or herself. ;) I'll go back and edit my previous post for clarity.

For the record, I didn't mean about your opponent's level of experience but their experience when playing the game e.g. are is your opponent enjoying his or herself. ;) I'll go back and edit my previous post for clarity.

Ahhhh, I better understand now! Well as for that, I always hope my opponent has a good experience playing against me, regardless of outcome!

Okay, so, I copied all the unique questions that I noticed. I think I got 'em all? Anyhow, here we go!

Are you a reckless or a careful player. Do you plan ahead or act in the moment?
Uh... Honestly, it depends on the level of play. Is it a casual game with friends? I'll get a bit silly and do reckless things. Am I in a major tourney? I'll be a bit more cautious. Also, how tired I am affects how careful I am. If I'm exhausted, I get extremely reckless in my plays.

How strict are you when your opponent makes a mistake. Do you make a lot of mistakes yourself?
I tend to be somewhat strict. I never let them get away with a mistake, but I'm not a prick about it. I teach a lot of kids how to play, so I'm gonna make sure that they know when they've made a mistake, so that they can learn. I'm always nice about it! I was new once, too, after all! And I definitely do still make mistakes, too. I've forgotten to lay out prizes during a number of casual games, for example. In a tournament, I'm more strict, though, especially if they're an experienced player.

How do you choose your deck? Do you look at your favorite Pokémon, top tiers or is there a budget involved?
My very first deck, Mega Sceptile-EX, was chosen because I adore Sceptile. My current Expanded deck, Mega Manectric, was chosen because I saw that it is a pretty decent deck that also happens to have a Pokémon I enjoy in it. My current Standard deck, Rainbow Force Xerneas, was chosen because it's strong and it was really cheap to build when I built it. So really, it depends! I choose based on a number of different circumstances.

Do you check the cards that are being played often? (Your opponent's hand, their discard pile, your remaining cards etc.)
Constantly. I also play Magic: the Gathering, and the deck I play has a focus on the discard piles, so it's a resource that I'm constantly aware of and checking, more out of sheer habit than anything.

How do you shuffle your deck? Are you a master or a klutz (like me)?
I would like to think that I'm a pretty good shuffler. *insert Every Day I'm Shufflin' meme here* I've always been fond of shuffling sleeved cards, ever since my Yu-Gi-Oh! days back in high school. In fact, if my OCD is being particularly stubborn, I find that shuffling can help ease the annoyance of it a bit. I frequently have people asking me to shuffle for them. It's kinda nice, actually.

Do you sometimes suspect your opponent of cheating? Have you ever cheated yourself?
I'm sure most people have, at some point, suspected their opponent of cheating. I certainly have. It also turned out to be true once before. Now, on the other hand, yes, I have cheated before, though it was accidental. Both my opponent and I realized at the same time that I attached two energy in one turn, without the aid of another card. Essentially, we just rewound the situation, and I apologized profusely.

Are you a sore loser or a bad winner, or both? How is your sportsmanship?
I would like to believe that I'm neither, and that I'm a humble winner and good loser. Sure, sometimes I'll be a bit giddy after winning a match, but I always make a point of offering a handshake and saying "Good games!" in a genuine tone. Now, that being said, if I'm playing against a good friend of mine, sometimes I'll tease them a bit. Especially when I was playing Night March, hehe. That's only because we're close and they know that I'm not being genuine.

How do you feel within the Pokémon TCG community?
I feel pretty good. The Magic community around here is waaaaaaayyyy too competitive for my taste. I'm talking like, cutthroat competition. This community is pretty chill. There are a few people whom I've met that I'm not particularly fond of, but that will happen in any community.

Is your play-style aggressive or defensive, or a mixture of both?
Like my answer to the first question, it completely depends on the level of play, my opponent, and how I feel.

When did you first begin playing competitively?
September 2015! I've been a fan of the series since the anime first aired in Canada, but I only started playin' the card game recently, surprisingly.

How much do you care about your opponent's experience?
I want my opponent to have a good time, too. Now, if my opponent is being rude or otherwise annoying, even in a casual game, I'll shift into a more competitive mode and stop caring if they have fun, and focus on beating them as quickly as possible to finish playing against them.

How much do you care about finishing the game?
I do my best to finish any game that I start. Sometimes I'm not overly invested, and will scoop if given reason to, but otherwise I try to finish the game as often as possible.

Are you a reckless or a careful player, do you plan ahead or act in the moment?
I usually am reckless. maybe that's because I don't have that much experience yet or maybe because I don't have the patience. Either way, I try to plan ahead of things, but the times I do really have a plan in my head and it gets disrupted I have a hard time dealing with it and working around it. Sometimes I'm a bit too carefull and the opponent gets annoyed with it. Once at a tournament I was playing too slow according to my opponent and he gave up and let me win, and he got a little mad. :confused:

How strict are you when your opponent makes a mistake, do you make a lot of mistakes yourself?
When I just started playing TCG tournaments I didn't quite know all the rules and such very well, so when I player made a mistake, I didn't notice it sometimes. When I made mistakes the players would punish me quite hard, for example when I forgot to attack, I had to ask if I could still attack and they would abruptly turn my request down. I mean, it is understandable, but you could at least bring it a bit nicer. Now that I have experienced this an have more experience in TCG overall I will be strict at tournaments, Because I have learned that in order to win you have to be strict. Just like real sports really. When playing against my friend or for fun I don't mind and you can make plenty of mistakes.

How do you choose your deck? Do you look at your favorite Pokémon, top tiers or is there a budget involved?
My main factor of choosing a deck is the budget. Some cards are just so expensive that I don't find it worth it. (Shaymin EX I'm looking at you :mad:) Of course I also look for what kind of deck I want and if it fits my play style. My friend usually helps me and gives me advice on these things.

Do you check the cards that are being played often? (Your opponent's hand, their discard pile, your remaining cards etc.)
I check my own discard pile regularly. But I should make a habit of checking the opponent's discard pile more frequent.

How do you shuffle your deck? Are you a master or a klutz (like me)?
I'm not really good at shuffling, but I'm no klutz either.

Do you sometimes suspect your opponent of cheating? Have you ever cheated yourself?
I have never cheated and have never suspected anyone cheating.

Are you a sore loser or a bad winner, or both? How is your sportmanship.
When I lose I just congratulate the winner and leave it at that. When I win, a lil' grin pops up. But I never overreact either way.

How do you feel within the Pokémon TCG community?
The community is not really big in my country. If I go to a tournament, I mostly see people I have seen before in other tournaments. Everyone is nice, and I'm nice to them, but I don't really feel close (yet). That's why I don't really like going alone and I'll go with a friend of mine.

Back