• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Garchomp (Devour EX Decks)

CombatPastor

Aspiring Trainer
@josie0001 The thing that concerns me about blocking the "effects of your opponent's attacks" is, in that instance, the person in control of Magearna is attacking...not me. Since I'm not attacking, how can it be negating the effects of my attack?

josie0001

The Daddiest Dad Ever
@CombatPastor I completely agree with your logic, and it honestly made more sense to me that way at first too than the way the situation actually works. The logic seems to be that any effect that you, as a player, attempt to do to your opponent that results in them taking damage counters is considered an effect of an attack.

Another example that makes a bit more sense: the Water Shuriken ability of XY Greninja can place 3 damage counters from the bench; it'a not an attack, since it's not coming from your active Pokemon in the attack phase, but it is blocked because it's an effect of an attack (ie damage counters) done by you as a player. Same goes for Bats and Forrestress. You, a player, are attempting to place counters, which isn't an attack but an effect of an attack. Confusing? Oh yeah. I'm talking like I have my brain completely wrapped around it, which I don't lol. :)

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
@CombatPastor, it's no glitch - Magearna does indeed block Bursting Balloons. I thought it was a bug at first too, but if you read the text of Magearna'a ability very closely, it actually reads that it blocks "effects of your opponent's attacks" NOT "effects of your opponent's Pokemon's attacks," so it falls under that umbrella since it applies damage counters as part of an attack you (i.e. the opponent in this instance) set in motion. Yet another completely confusing moment in the life of Magearna EX lol
Are you sure?

Bursting Balloon's effect is triggered by, in this case, the Magaerna EX's deck player attacking my Bursting Balloon attached Pokémon. Bursting Balloon's effect states: "... When the Pokemon this card is attached to is damaged by an opponent’s Pokemon’s attack, put 6 damage counters on the attacking Pokemon." So, in this case, my turn had already ended; there are no effects of my Pokémon in play; and Magearna EX's Ability had no effects to prevent during my turn...

Just doesn't seem right to me, but I could be mistaken.

josie0001

The Daddiest Dad Ever
Are you sure?

Bursting Balloon's effect is triggered by, in this case, the Magaerna EX's deck player attacking my Bursting Balloon attached Pokémon. Bursting Balloon's effect states: "... When the Pokemon this card is attached to is damaged by an opponent’s Pokemon’s attack, put 6 damage counters on the attacking Pokemon." So, in this case, my turn had already ended; there are no effects of my Pokémon in play; and Magearna EX's Ability had no effects to prevent during my turn...

Just doesn't seem right to me, but I could be mistaken.

Am I sure? When it comes to Magearna, I'm never sure lol. I THINK I'm right, because the logic makes sense to me and because when PTCGO is consistent on something it's generally correct, and Magearna always blocks balloons on PTCGO, so I tend to think it's correct. That said, if there's anyone out there more qualified to speak about this, please do so! :)

(Addendum: we really need a Magearna EX thread with a definitive list of cards that it blocks.)

Sonkyhaner

Aspiring Trainer
@CombatPastor I completely agree with your logic, and it honestly made more sense to me that way at first too than the way the situation actually works. The logic seems to be that any effect that you, as a player, attempt to do to your opponent that results in them taking damage counters is considered an effect of an attack.
Another example that makes a bit more sense: the Water Shuriken ability of XY Greninja can place 3 damage counters from the bench; it'a not an attack, since it's not coming from your active Pokemon in the attack phase, but it is blocked because it's an effect of an attack (ie damage counters) done by you as a player. Same goes for Bats and Forrestress. You, a player, are attempting to place counters, which isn't an attack but an effect of an attack. Confusing? Oh yeah. I'm talking like I have my brain completely wrapped around it, which I don't lol. :)

the xy greninja does not get stopped. it is an ability, not an attack. and secondly. bursting balloon is not an attack. therefore it should not be blocked. because if it was an attack. then if both players have bursting balloons attatched they would both trigger. they do not. therefore it is not classified as an attack. therefore shuld not be blocked by magearna.

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
Am I sure? When it comes to Magearna, I'm never sure lol. I THINK I'm right, because the logic makes sense to me and because when PTCGO is consistent on something it's generally correct, and Magearna always blocks balloons on PTCGO, so I tend to think it's correct.
Before I first responded, I also checked with 2 different professors too. As I had thought, Magearna EX's Ability would not prevent the Bursting Balloon's effect.

Also, given the complexities of programming (my experience) each and every Pokémon card, I know it's far from easy; so, it wouldn't surprise me that glitch may have slipped through the cracks...

josie0001

The Daddiest Dad Ever
Hey @TuxedoBlack that's enough proof for me - I very much appreciate your thoroughness! :) The logic makes sense either way, which is just confusing. I reiterate, we need a thread to address Magearna. I'll poke around; there may be a resource available somewhere on the site already, and if not, I'll start one.

All that said, I'm still pretty sure it blocks abilites of both Greninja XY and BREAK, as they are effects of a player's attacks. If it doesn't, someone correct me, but if that's the case, then I have no clue what the heck Magearna does lol.

Also, my apologies to @Sonkyhaner - I feel like we've hijacked his thread with this discussion haha.

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
Hey @TuxedoBlack that's enough proof for me - I very much appreciate your thoroughness! :)
Yw. I may be running Balloons in a deck at an upcoming Regional tournament; so, I definitely had a vested interest in the discussion and did not want to miss any opportunity to drop those damage counters. Lol.

I reiterate, we need a thread to address Magearna. I'll poke around; there may be a resource available somewhere on the site already, and if not, I'll start one.
Why not just start the discussion in the TCG News and Discussion Forum?