Seismitoad-EX Variants

Camoclone

TCG Articles Head
This thread is used for all competitive discussion on Seismitoad-EX variants in the Expanded format. This includes strategies, playstyles, and techs.

You may post deck lists here, but only as a means to add to the discussion. If you're looking for advice on your list, post in the Deck Garage.

Articles:
"Why Everything Will Stay the Same" - Five Decks for Regionals

Seismitoad-EX / Giratina-EX Skeleton List:

Pokémon:
  • 3 Seismitoad-EX (FFI 20)
  • 2 Giratina-EX (AOR 57)
  • 2 Shaymin-EX (ROS 77)
  • 1 Keldeo-EX (BCR 49)
  • 1 Hoopa-EX (AOR 37)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 39
  • 4 Professor Juniper
  • 1 N
  • 1 Colress
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 1 Team Flare Grunt
  • 1 Xerosic
  • 1 Ghetsis
  • 1 Hex Maniac
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Hypnotoxic Laser
  • 4 Super Scoop Up
  • 4 Crushing Hammer
  • 2 Head Ringer
  • 2 Muscle Band
  • 2 Float Stone
  • 1 Computer Search
  • 2 Virbank City Gym
Energy: 7
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
  • 3 Double Dragon Energy
Open Spots: 4

Seismitoad EX / Crobat Skeleton List:

Pokémon: 16
  • 4 Seismitoad-EX (FFI 106)
  • 2 Shaymin-EX (ROS 106)
  • 3 Crobat (PHF 33)
  • 3 Golbat (PHF 32)
  • 4 Zubat (PLS 53)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 30
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 N
  • 1 AZ
  • 1 Colress
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Hypnotoxic Laser
  • 4 Super Scoop Up
  • 3 Muscle Band
  • 1 Computer Search
Energy: 7
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
  • 3 Water Energy
Open Spots: 7

SilverSilent

Dem Eeveelutions
I must admit, Ghetsis actually found a solid place in a deck. I would have never expected this.

My biggest question to this how wide are the variations of this deck's build? I honestly could see this deck being widely modified compared to standard staples like Yveltal.

Asclepius24

Aspiring Trainer
Ghetsis has found a place in a few things since Vespiquen, Blastoise, and NM started to take up so much space in the metagame. Surprising, but makes sense.

There's room for some variation in Supporter counts and additional Supporters. Hex Maniac, more Flare Grunt, Cassius (which I really like) and AZ have all shown up in winning lists, so there's some degree of unpredictability which is fun.

Chewy

Aspiring Trainer
I dont think there is much room for variation at all since this deck already plays every good expanded card pretty much. Ghetsis is one of the tech cards thats surprisingly good. You can run Hex Maniac if you have problem with the likes of Tyrantrum, Dedenne is good against Yveltal (although Yveltal doesnt need much energy to 1 shot Giratina so Dedenne will most likely not 1 shot back). Cassius is generally good but you already have 4 Super Scoop Ups so thats maybe a bit too redundant.

JW Kriewall

Aspiring Trainer
Just want to say, Ghetsis was awful during Regionals. I watched Matt Price play his top cut matches, and Ghetsis actually hurt him more time that not when he played it. I think even he wishes it was another Supporter. I feel as though this deck just takes it's loss to Blastoise and moves on with life.

RedDistrict6

Aspiring Trainer
Why is this Tier 2? It is easily one of the best decks in format and in the top 3 for Expanded, Archie's Blastoise is Tier 2 and this deck out classes this in every way.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
I agree with RedDistrict, this deck got about 6-7 total top 8 at one regionals(split between divisions). I feel like this deck should be tier 1, as do many people.

Joseph Redd

Been a Gengar fan since Gen 1.
I have a quick question: I am currently playing a Toad/Hammers deck and my local league runs quite a few Mega Sceptile decks. I was wondering what Toad's answer to Mega Sceptile is. I am currently using Weakness Policy, but it is just too inconsistant to get it out. Any help would be appreciated.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
I have a quick question: I am currently playing a Toad/Hammers deck and my local league runs quite a few Mega Sceptile decks. I was wondering what Toad's answer to Mega Sceptile is. I am currently using Weakness Policy, but it is just too inconsistant to get it out. Any help would be appreciated.
That's actually one of the reasons Toad/ Tina has been successful. Post your list in the deck garage, and try teching some stuff to build that deck based off of your current list. Other than that, there really is no answer( At least not off of the top of my head).

Joseph Redd

That's actually one of the reasons Toad/ Tina has been successful. Post your list in the deck garage, and try teching some stuff to build that deck based off of your current list. Other than that, there really is no answer( At least not off of the top of my head).
I have thought of Giratina, but I also have almost every player in my league running at least one copy of Stardust Jirachi(some in multiples), which is a very dangerous card for Toad/Tina. I was asking about other counters because I am trying to see if I can even still make Toad Viable in my meta or if I just need to scrap the idea of Toad in my grass and Stardust-filled meta. I will actually be posting a deck list in the deck garage when I get a chance.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
T
I have thought of Giratina, but I also have almost every player in my league running at least one copy of Stardust Jirachi(some in multiples), which is a very dangerous card for Toad/Tina. I was asking about other counters because I am trying to see if I can even still make Toad Viable in my meta or if I just need to scrap the idea of Toad in my grass and Stardust-filled meta. I will actually be posting a deck list in the deck garage when I get a chance.
The very thing about that is Slowking could move energies off of it, and I've also seen people run 3 basic water for Jirachi and Aegislash. Toad really is a good deck, you just have to figure out the matchups.

Joseph Redd

T

The very thing about that is Slowking could move energies off of it, and I've also seen people run 3 basic water for Jirachi and Aegislash. Toad really is a good deck, you just have to figure out the matchups.
Thank you. I had forgotten about Slowking. It would solve the Jirachi problem and Tina will solve the Sceptile problem. Thanks for your input.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Thank you. I had forgotten about Slowking. It would solve the Jirachi problem and Tina will solve the Sceptile problem. Thanks for your input.
No problem. If you post your current deck in the Deck Garage, then we can help you decide what to take out. You could also copy/paste a list from the Pokémon Website, then make your own engine and changes to adjust to your play style.

RedGyarados

Aspiring Trainer
Guys, I'm pretty new to expanded format. May I ask, how is the match-up between Toad/Bats vs Yveltal variant or Greninja BREAK?

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Guys, I'm pretty new to expanded format. May I ask, how is the match-up between Toad/Bats vs Yveltal variant or Greninja BREAK?
Yveltal should be a bad matchup unless you explode T1, since their damage output by itself can win. Greninja Break is even worse for you since they heal off all of your damage, and they don't NEED items, since all they need is to Wally T1 and Water Duplicates.

JW Kriewall

Aspiring Trainer
Hey RedGyarados, welcome to the forum.

From my experience, Toad Bats has a very solid matchup against Yveltal simply because you can use Hypnotoxic Laser and they can't. Additionally, the extra damage from Bats can ensure you're taking the right KOs at the right time.

Greninja is a bit trickier. If they play Rough Seas, they can outspeed you with damage. If Greninja gets set up, not only can they lock out your bats Abilities with shadow stitching, but they can heal your 40-50 a turn from quaking punch. You need to hit a few timely laser flips to win, but even then I don't think it's enough to count on in the matchup.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Hey RedGyarados, welcome to the forum.

From my experience, Toad Bats has a very solid matchup against Yveltal simply because you can use Hypnotoxic Laser and they can't. Additionally, the extra damage from Bats can ensure you're taking the right KOs at the right time.

Greninja is a bit trickier. If they play Rough Seas, they can outspeed you with damage. If Greninja gets set up, not only can they lock out your bats Abilities with shadow stitching, but they can heal your 40-50 a turn from quaking punch. You need to hit a few timely laser flips to win, but even then I don't think it's enough to count on in the matchup.
The thing about that is that they have Keldeo-EX, so your Lasers usually won't last more than a couple turns. And Archeops shuts down Bats altogether, combined with Hex Maniac too. That may be the reason Toad hasn't won anything big since maybe early States.

ProZlockie

Meow? Meow.
The thing about that is that they have Keldeo-EX, so your Lasers usually won't last more than a couple turns. And Archeops shuts down Bats altogether, combined with Hex Maniac too. That may be the reason Toad hasn't won anything big since maybe early States.
While Yveltal-EX does have Keldeo-EX, most Toad lists I've seen have been running Silent Lab to deal with it. It definitely helps you in the overall match up.

LightningCloud224

Aspiring Trainer
The reason toad has not seen any reasonable success is because of trevenant and vileplume being the superior control options. Toad is a deck that functions well because of items like hypnotoxic laser, super scoop up, and muscle band, which are being played at many points in the game. These decks lock you out on turn 1-2 from playing anymore items against them while they do massive damage in retaliation to one or consistently harmful damage to more than one of your Pokémon.

Last edited: