News Decidueye, Incineroar, Primarina, Guardian Pokemon, Battle Tree, and More!

Otaku

The wise fool?
No clue about what any of this means for competitive video game battles, but I finally wish I had a 3DS and some spare cash to buy the game. Note that it took both the chance to see some familiar, famous faces from past games and the power of teh kitties to do this. ;)

Shishigami

Aspiring Trainer
lol I try to calm everybody's nipples out on the deck reveals by explaining about Incineroar's potential design origin and then this amounts of kawaii decides to plant itself right before me. Has anybody here not played the game that inspired Pokken called Tekken and failed to remember King and Armor King? Those two are based from Japanese wrestler Satoru Sayama who also went by the convienent stage persona called Tiger Mask. Or hell, what about Tiny Tiger from Crash Bandicoot?? And bonus points to anybody who remembers Weretiger from Altered Beast.
Not gonna lie, it did initially look like bloody Pulgasari. I did have a feeling that Torracat would go into the bipedal route into something as said described soon as it was revealed back then.

Ennnnnnnyway onto the other moments that I had observed.
I really agreed with all of the typings shown however all the abilities were boring garbage bar the surges, something I desperately wished things like Mega Alakazam had (along with tat 10 more stat point total ofc) so I now have another reason to sit in the local forest alone, scream and cry. Cosmog seems to be based on interstellar clouds hence the name. Its a very clever and cute name that I haven't seen anybody notice that its a simple combination of Cosmos and Smog. If it ever gets English vocabulary in the anime Neil DeGrasse Tyson should voice the little celestial puff, its a more interesting looking/concept version of Solosis, although I'm partially ignorant to what that is atm :p (I'm on Jirachi on my complete Pokedex card wishlist walkthrough so a looooooong way to go until then). Persian is looking actually like a Persian Cat yet with Russian Blue coat. Fur Coat seems to be a more broader form of Thick Fat that could work well depending on the change of stats.

I completely agree with Primarina's mermaid direction. I was right about predicting back when only Popplio debuted, that it would visually change the most. I'm not sure what to think about Decidueye quite yet, with its Hawlucha like body shape in mind I do like the cape arms/ wings and also why the Ghost typing wondering if it's based upon the reaper with the hooded head cover. Speaking of heads, is that what the Tapu's are ment to be? Akin to that of a totem pole? The Z-move big guy body that the Tapu's fitted onto looked really cool then like some birdman but with a body like that of Shishigami from Mononoke Hime. Actually its exactly like that during when it's searching for its head of course haha! :D

Dissapointed about Red and Blue ATM, because they should had been kept secret.

Last edited:

thegrovylekid

Makes fake cards
I find Decidueye a little strange, if only because to me it went from Bird to creepy kubaz archer wearing a hood. It not being part flying is nice, but this might have broke the deal for me. I love Rowlet, but I already have a team of like 10 planned out and it just got one bigger, so I might end up boxing Rowlet.

Incineroar is disgusting. The only good thing about it is it isn't fire/fighting. I already didn't like Litten and desperately hoped that the concept art was fake. It's design is incredibly bad, it feels like Cat Emboar that creeps into the uncanny valley, the mouth looks off and it just fails to get anything right.

Primarina had very pretty concept art, and the design here is good in 3D. Not as excited for it as some others because of how little I like Popplio and Brionne. I might use it if desperately want to use a starter but my team's full already.

Cosmog is absolutely precious and it's going on my team for sure. All its animations are so cute, I love the scene where it's hiding under the trainer from a Spearow and it's just all adorable. Might be my favourite of gen 7, or Mimikyu still holds up. Not sure.

The Tapus are cool, but they don't really do anything for me. Tapu Koko and Tapu Lele are going to be huge competitively.

Battle Tree is great, and seeing Cynthia back in 3D is great. There probably won't be a frontier but I can live with this.

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
Didn't think they would revealed the final starter evos but cool. I guess they couldn't ignore the leaks any longer...

Decidueye being Grass/Ghost is a nice surprise. I was considering leaving the starter in the PC but Decidueye has been growing on me a lot lately, and knowing it doesn't have the boring Grass/Flying makes me like it even more. I'm going with this one. The only thing I don't like is its name. What kind of stupid name is that? Sounds really hard to say to me and I have trouble writing it.

Incineroar's name isn't very good either but I don't like Incineroar anyway (At least, it's not Fire/Fighting). Primarina is cute and is the only starter with a name that sounds good.

(Warning: Incoming Rant)
Tapu Bulu and Tapu Fini's types: Not cool GF, not cool. What a slap in the face. What happened to the Tapus sharing Oricorio's main types? It was a cool thing to me, and considering each one protects an island that refers to a color usually associated with a specific type, why would they make Tapu Bulu Grass/Fairy instead of Fire/Fairy? Tapu Fini being Water instead of Ghost doesn't bother me as much, it's still a bit annoying though.
But seriously, who looks at Tapu Bulu and thinks it is Grass and not Fire-type? We could have had our first Fire/Fairy pokémon.
I'm tired of this Fire-type looking pokémon not being Fire-type bs: Thought Solgaleo was Fire - Nope, Steel. Thought Bulu was Fire - Nope, Grass. There's not a single decent Fire Pokémon for me to use this gen.
*calms down*

Anyway...
Tapu's Z-Move is just a buffed Super Fang/Nature's Madness. I think the other Tapu will have different avatars for the animation. EDIT: Nvm, just saw the Japanese trailer and it seems the avatar is the same (they only show a bit for the others but it seems so). Lame.

So, Cosmog is indeed a separate pokémon (and as such, so is Galaxy eye). Meh. It's clearly obvious they will eventually turn into either Solgaleo or Lunala, depending on the game. I just wonder if we'll be able to get more than one, maybe after the main story, otherwise it'll be difficult to have a complete living dex.

They still didn't explain why Alolan Persian has the fat face. It would have been better if they had referenced selective breeding as the cause of it. Cause that's the only thing that explains that face: Genetic defect.

The Battle Tree is our battle facility, i.e: not the place where we catch Zygarde as some people thought... Hmm, what did they do to Red? Doesn't look like him anymore. On the plus side: Cynthia! After an absence in Gen 6, she's back!

Finally, one of the leaks was somewhat right about the League. It looks like we will have a League after the main story. So, hopefully the post game will actually be good this time.

Last edited:

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
MY EVALUATIONS!!
  • Decidueye - Cool name! Sounds like Hawkeye. Grass/Ghost is kinda happy to me, makes them immune to commonly anoying Normal-type moves. Only weak to Flying, Ice, Fire, Ghost, and Dark, if I am not mistaken. The bio is 7/10. The signature moves looks another version of Mean Look.
  • Incineroar - Gladly it's not Fire/Fighting again. Badash design, bio as well. Darkest Lariat is cool also, what is the meaning that it ignores stat changes to the opponent's party?
  • Primarina - Water/Fairy is not a surprise for me. Why this Soloist Pokemon still sends balloons? The unique still ununderstandable. Heals the burns of the target?
  • Tapus:
  1. Tapu Lele - except that the "battlefield got wierd" XD, the ability got also weird if you face it. We have Bruxish, we have Tsareena (I still wait for the Eng Dub of Episode 47, I won't spoil to myself), now this that block priority moves? Oh boy!
  2. Tapu Bulu - it looks like a bull, promise me from the name and the appearnce. A Regen terrain seems bit OP.
  3. Tapu Fini - Ok. Bio is Ok. Ability is Ok. Everything is Ok.
  • Alolan Meowth - I know why his face is round.
  • Cosmog - "Pre-evo" of Lunala, still wait for the badge-like thing if the leaks are true.
  • Pokemon League - there is always, always been there in the Pokemon Games. The game makes no sense without it.
  • Battle Tree - "Pokemon League" of Alola when the construction of the league on the icy mountain is on-going. Encounter trainers from different region makes so nice, I wish Steven or N is around.
  • Red and Blue Returns - Nice!! I like it, and it looks so mature, unlike others...
  • Tapu's Z-Move - 75% Hit, nearly KO is ouch!
What do I expect next? ALOLAN DUGTRIO!!!!

Last edited:

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
I honestly hope Cosmog is a separate form from Lunalaa (since it looks like a ball version); or possibly be bred like Phione.

fleshrum

Cephalophore
The small yellow details in Cosmog, not obvious in the data dump pictures, imply that it evolves into the next one up (the "badge looking one"). It also bears a striking resemblance to Lunaala, but not really to Solgaleo? ???

so much of this update gives me the quizzical face. In a good way mind you, but I was never NOT going to buy this game and like it, so take that for what you will.

NotSeen

Aspiring Trainer
OK, guys, it's almost time for me to express my opinions…
I didn't read much of your conversation here, so apology if I use something already spoken, but:

Final evos of starters:
Decidueye “decent residual eye”? Understandable typing, but it lost it's ground immunity with the flying drop. Anyway, it got immunity to fighting and normal… hard to say, if it is better. Its unique move is not that great, but… does it mean, that Wimpod's ability/Abra's move “Teleport”/the Run away ability… is cancelled?
Incineroar We already got “ember roar” (aka Emboar), so why not?. Cool stance and god knows I LOVE fire types, so… maybe my final choice once the games hit the shelves. If its unique move hit through any defense boosts, then OK. It should also hit through reflect…
Primarina like really? Prima balerina? Not much liking the design; it should be better. Anyway, its hidden ability should be Soundproof…

New Pokémon:
I really LOVE Cosmog. Both design and the name are absolutely adorable… Cosmic smog… Koffing would love it! :D Hey, actually, why not a new move named after it? I mean, the Cosmic smog… but whatever.

From all of the guardians or deity or whatever, I like the Tapu Bulu the most. Its design is great, it could use Horn leech if I'm not mistaken; a bit shame is, that it isn't partially fire… they really had to do some fire guardian…

From all of the Alolan forms, I really dislike the Persian. It looks so lazy and the bulky face is awful. The only positive thing is the blue crystal on its forehead.

OK, I can't wait to have the game already…[/U]

Zielo

Caught 'em all.
Grass/Ghost? TOTALLY UNEXPECTED.

Still having a hard time picking a starter! Really glad to see Red and Blue in there as well. :)

Incineroar We already got “ember roar” (aka Emboar), so why not?

Pretty sure its Emboar, as in Ember Boar? Makes more sense to me being that hes a boar/pig, but I mean I guess it works either way.

Cottonmouth25

Flying-type Enthusiast
Decidueye is probably the most badass bird I've ever seen, temporarily disregarding Archeops. Its design as an owl archer is really fricking cool, and it's a Grass-and-GHOST-type. Adding Ghost-type to an owl Pokémon to accentuate the fact that owls are silent night fliers is probably the single greatest decision Game Freak has made this generation. The only bad thing I have to say about it is the name. I'm not really feeling this whole "Decidueye" business. (#TeamRowlet)

Incineroar isn't a name I can get behind either. Fortunately, this is an awesome-looking Pokémon.

Primarina actually has a nice design. I'm surprised, after the monstrosity that was Brionne. Now I'm EXTREMELY torn between which evolutionary line to choose as my second favorite.

Tapu Lele is ADORABLE. I want to give it a hug. I'm also a fan of cute Pokémon that happen to have a dangerous or sadistic side.

The Tapu Z-Move - that expression on the Trainer's face as they slam their fist down is absolutely hilarious.

Nidogod

Aspiring Trainer
Exactly, they ruined it so badly.
I disagree. Seeing a grown-up version of Red and Blue was one of the most exciting things about this trailer. I'm so glad they revealed it.

Decidueye “decent residual eye”?[/U]
No, it's like deciduous, which is an adjective describing plants that lose their leaves every year. I love the name, though! It's very clever.

Even though I love Decidueye's name, I'm really going to miss Dartrix. He was by far my favorite. Also, I don't like how Water beats Fire and Fairy beats Dark, Fire beats Grass and Dark beats Ghost, but while Grass beats Water, Ghost is neutral on Fairy. Strange.

xayshade

Aspiring Trainer
Final evos of starters:
Decidueye “decent residual eye”? Understandable typing, but it lost it's ground immunity with the flying drop. Anyway, it got immunity to fighting and normal… hard to say, if it is better. Its unique move is not that great, but… does it mean, that Wimpod's ability/Abra's move “Teleport”/the Run away ability… is cancelled?
Incineroar We already got “ember roar” (aka Emboar), so why not?. Cool stance and god knows I LOVE fire types, so… maybe my final choice once the games hit the shelves. If its unique move hit through any defense boosts, then OK. It should also hit through reflect…
Primarina like really? Prima balerina? Not much liking the design; it should be better. Anyway, its hidden ability should be Soundproof…

Its deciduous, as in deciduous forest, and eye as in dead eye marksmanship. Its not hard. Emboar was ember and boar,as in a wild pig, and primarina is prima ballerina

Chocolate Death

I should be the Water Trial Captain now!
I was not disappointed when I woke up this morning. I'd like to share my thoughts.

Decidueye
Honestly, I hadn't found it all that interesting in the past. I simply saw it as an uninteresting Grass/Flying archer, but now looking at it again... It definitely seems like a fearsome Pokémon, in lore, design, and competitive. I'm definitely loving the ghost-typing to become more stealthy. Quite the interesting adaptation, if you ask me. I'm also liking how it loses weakness to Rock and some weakness to Ice. Its name is definitely something to appreciate too, as it comes from deciduous, which is a shrub that annually sheds its leaves and can even be a broad leaved shrub. This seems rather fitting, given Decidueye's broad feathery wing cape and how it plucks its feathers like leaves off of a tree. The only thing I don't like is the name of its Spirit Shackle. I can't help but feel like Shadow Pin or something like that would be better.

Incineroar
I can't really say much for this lug. I'm not much of a fan of Fire-types, nor am I a fan of Dark-types (with the exceptions of Yveltal, Umbreon, Victini, Reshiram and Darmanitan). It's interesting that it's Dark-type yet acts heroic... Hmm... Oh, and I can't help but feel like its giant hands help with it's Darkest Lariat, which I must admit, the move is pretty awesome.

Primarina
The beautifully perfect Water-type starter reveals itself to the world! I truly love this design completely! I've been in love with Popplio's line ever since I saw it in the E3 demo. Prior to then, I was simply going with Rowlet because bowties. When I saw that little ol' Popps had such good Special, HP, and Defensive stats, I fell in love. I tend to be the type to love pokemon that attack with Specials and can take a lickin' and keep on kickin'. Imagining Primarina with a possible 100, 70, 80, 100, 110, 80 stat distribution is amazing. Primarina has already become one of my favorite Water-types, rivalling only Vaporeon and Milotic. Primarina may very well be the only starter I select this generation. Usually I pick favorite then second favorite, but this time I'm just going full Primaria. I even plan on having my Moon version be a water-type only playthrough with shiny Primaria, my female trainer cosplaying her, Milotic, Vaporeon, Wimpod, Wishiwashi, and either Carracosta or Lapras. Oh my gosh, I cannot get enough of Primarina!! And that Sparkling Aria, too!! I can't wait to use that in competitive along with a high Attack pokemon! Take that, will-o-wispers! >: D

Tapu
I don't have much to say for the new Tapu, as I'd prefer to see them in the game before making opinions, as I feel like my view may very well change easily.

Cosmog
Same as above.

Alolan Persian
Honestly, when I saw it in the leak, I hated it. After watching a video explaining that it actually is like the real life Persian cat breed, I actually like it a lot. The actual cat breed is known for having a puffy, flat face and was bred to look that way by royal families and is an extremely classy cat, almost a status symbol for the wealthy. Alolan Persian is no different. It even makes it so the name makes sense, as regular Persian is a Siamese cat, even in its Japanese species name (which literally means Siamese Cat).

Red
I dunno what to really say about red besides damn did he age well. My god, I haven't seen a fictional character grow up to be so freaking hot since maybe Naruto...? But good golly gosh, if I lived in the Pokémon world, I'd seriously love to date him...! And, I swear, if they show him in the anime... Oh boy. Can't wait to hear his battle theme! And imagine him speaking the first word in 20 years! I imagine it could be him opening up to the trainer and telling him his story of adventure. I wonder if this means we'll see other past trainers...? I mean, Masuda and Ohmori did say there's gonna be surprises for fans of all generations in a way that hinted at something like this...

Blue/Green
Ok, I mean, I know his name is Blue in the US and Green in the Manga and Japan, but I feel like people shouldn't get so grumpy about his name... Anyway, Looking smug as usual, and easy on the eyes too! Glad to know he has a better sense of fashion than he did in FRLG! Well, then again, we knew that since HGSS came around. Wow, I realized this might mean Gary could cameo in the new anime like this. That'd be awesome! I can't wait to hear Blue/Green's battle theme though!

Alola Pokemon League
Ok, remember how the Indigo League had a name? I'm hereby dubbing this the Rainbow League because of the games' codename; Project Rainbow. I'm so excited that they added this. I'm even more excited for Cynthia! My all time favorite Champion returns in 3D and, hopefully, with a brand new remix of her encounter and battle themes! I hope I get to battle her with a full party instead of just 3, though! As for Wally... I think that's cool.

fleshrum

Cephalophore
With several claims of "unfinished" or "next gen coming way soon" on this very website as well as elsewhere, plus the reveal of the NX and its impending release date, perhaps the completion of the events in game such as the creation of a league and what have you will come on a remaster/sequel style game.

Kind of like how Metal Gear Solid 5 had a prologue that was scummily released as a full game before the actual game came out. But we'd give Nintendo a free pass for that... lol.

Leronne

Bug Pokemon Lover
Primarina is a combination of Prima, Marine (how is everyone missing this?) and Ballerina.

Tapu Bulu and Tapu Fini's types: Not cool GF, not cool. What a slap in the face. What happened to the Tapus sharing Oricorio's main types? It was a cool thing to me, and considering each one protects an island that refers to a color usually associated with a specific type, why would they make Tapu Bulu Grass/Fairy instead of Fire/Fairy? Tapu Fini being Water instead of Ghost doesn't bother me as much, it's still a bit annoying though.
But seriously, who looks at Tapu Bulu and thinks it is Grass and not Fire-type? We could have had our first Fire/Fairy pokémon.
I'm tired of this Fire-type looking pokémon not being Fire-type bs: Thought Solgaleo was Fire - Nope, Steel. Thought Bulu was Fire - Nope, Grass. There's not a single decent Fire Pokémon for me to use this gen.
GF never said that this would be the case, so i don't see how it's a slap in the face. This was just fan speculation afterall. It would've been cool for there to be a link though.

Dicidueye and Incineroar's signature moves have competitive potential if their base power is high enough, but i don't see primarina's move being very useful. Maybe it'll be like hex where it does extra damage if the opponent is burned, but the whole healing thing just doesn't cut it for me. It's kind of like smellingsalt basically.

Regarding their potential stats, Dicidueye looks to be like greninja, where it's the fastest and looks to have about even atk and sp.atk and lower defenses. Incineroar is definitely physical, whereas prima is special (offensively and defensively). I'm not sure which of the two would have the lowest speed but i'm leaning towards prima.