• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard VolcaFlareon (Volcanion EX / Flareon EX)

Victinity

Aspiring Trainer
Hey guys :D I made a Volcanion Flareon Deck. I don't own any Shaymins, Hoopas, other Vs seekers, Trainer Mails, Float stones and Octilleries because of budget reasons. I am working on getting 2 Ultra Bs and 2 more Ns (I don't buy stuff on the net, since I got hacked twice and to wanna take any risks)
Which cards are irrelevant? Which cards should I include? (Preferably GEN, STS, FTC, BKP)
i currently plan to take out 1 Revive and 1 Fanclub or Ninja for another Switch and Bursting Balloon

Pokemon
3 Flareon EX
3 Volcanion EX
3 Volcanion
1 Blaziken EX

Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums
4 Sycamore
2 N
2 Shauna
2 Ninja Boy
2 Pokemon Fan Club
1 Delinquent
1 Skyla
2 Ultra Balls
2 Max Elixir
3 Energy Retrieval
2 Revive
2 Professor's Letter
1 VS Seeker
1 Super Rod
1 Switch
1 Fighting Fury Belt
3 Scorched Earth
1 Skyarrow Bridge

Energy
17 Fire Energy

Last edited by a moderator:
Following are a few comments for your consideration:

-1 Flareon EX - 2 should be sufficient
-1 Blaziken EX - not really needed
-2 Max Elixir - not really needed since they overlap Volcanion's effect
-1 Pokémon Fan Club - 1 should be sufficient given addional Balls
-2 Revive - not really needed
-5 Fire - 12 shuld be sufficient
-3 Scorched Earth - card-draw Supporters are more efficient and less likely to "entice" you to over-draw depleting your resources sooner than you really want
-1 Skyarrow Bridge - may not be legal in Standard format play

+1 Volcanion - best to maximize the count of this primary starter
+1 Volcanion EX - similarly, best to maximize the count of this damage output booster and secondary attacker
+2 Judge - additional card-draw support and opponent's hand disruption
+1 Ultra Ball - when you get them
+2 Dive Ball - gets Volcanion EX without discarding extra cards
+1 Escape Rope / Switch - additional switching needed to get unwanted Acctive Pokémon back to the bench
+1 Olympia - provides healing and switching
+2 Rough Seas - healing for your Volcanion EX
+1 Parallel City / Skyfield - both useful given game state

+3 open slots - maybe VS Seeker

I hope you find these comments helpful.

I play a very similar deck, i'll post my list when i get back from school. What i can tell u though is that u would really need an hoopa ex to get the most ex out quick.

Here's my list:

Pokemon:
4 volcanion
3 volcanion ex
2 flareon ex
1 hoopa ex

Trainer:
Supporter:
4 prof. Sycamore
2 N
1 ninja boy
2 lysandre
1 hex maniac
1 delinquent
1 pokemon ranger

Items:
4 vs seeker
4 trainers mail
4 ultra ball
4 energy retrieval
1 escape rope
1 super rod
3 fighting fury belt
2 float stone

Stadium:
3 scorched earth

12 basic fire energy

I would say that this list gives me 80% win so far. If u can afford the keldeo and rayquaza battle deck and a hoopa ex, that would help u a lot.

Last edited:
Following are a few comments for your consideration:

-1 Flareon EX - 2 should be sufficient
-1 Blaziken EX - not really needed
-2 Max Elixir - not really needed since they overlap Volcanion's effect
-1 Pokémon Fan Club - 1 should be sufficient given addional Balls
-2 Revive - not really needed
-5 Fire - 12 shuld be sufficient
-3 Scorched Earth - card-draw Supporters are more efficient and less likely to "entice" you to over-draw depleting your resources sooner than you really want
-1 Skyarrow Bridge - may not be legal in Standard format play

+1 Volcanion - best to maximize the count of this primary starter
+1 Volcanion EX - similarly, best to maximize the count of this damage output booster and secondary attacker
+2 Judge - additional card-draw support and opponent's hand disruption
+1 Ultra Ball - when you get them
+2 Dive Ball - gets Volcanion EX without discarding extra cards
+1 Escape Rope / Switch - additional switching needed to get unwanted Acctive Pokémon back to the bench
+1 Olympia - provides healing and switching
+2 Rough Seas - healing for your Volcanion EX
+1 Parallel City / Skyfield - both useful given game state

+3 open slots - maybe VS Seeker

I hope you find these comments helpful.

Hey:) Rhanks for your help!! Sadly I don't own: Dive balls, Rough seas, Para city, Skyfield and the Ultra ball. I think i can find one or two judges and Olympia. I actually think 3 Volc EXs are fine. I could buy the new Volcanion deck to get Volcanion and Ultra ball (Baby Volcanion max is vital). I believe that Scorched Earth with 17 Energies is way better than Rough seas, since I only can heal V EX. Same with the dive balls. Blaziken works surprisingly VEEEEERY well as midgame card. I won't take it out^^

Should I

- 1 Flareon EX
- 2 Revive
- 1 Fan Club
- 1 Elixir

+ 1 Baby Volcanion
+ 1 Judge (not 2, bc too many supporters)
+ 1 Olympia
+ 1 Switch
+ 1 Ultra Ball

I play a very similar deck, i'll post my list when i get back from school. What i can tell u though is that u would really need an hoopa ex to get the most ex out quick.

Here's my list:

Pokemon:
4 volcanion
3 volcanion ex
2 flareon ex
1 hoopa ex

Trainer:
Supporter:
4 prof. Sycamore
2 N
1 ninja boy
2 lysandre
1 hex maniac
1 delinquent
1 pokemon ranger

Items:
4 vs seeker
4 trainers mail
4 ultra ball
4 energy retrieval
1 escape rope
1 super rod
3 fighting fury belt
2 float stone

Stadium:
3 scorched earth

12 basic fire energy

I would say that this list gives me 80% win so far. If u can afford the keldeo and rayquaza battle deck and a hoopa ex, that would help u a lot.

Hey thanks for your help!! Sadly I don't own a quarter of your deck :( But thanks a lot for your help^^

Hey:) Rhanks for your help!! Sadly I don't own: Dive balls, Rough seas, Para city, Skyfield and the Ultra ball. I think i can find one or two judges and Olympia. I actually think 3 Volc EXs are fine. I could buy the new Volcanion deck to get Volcanion and Ultra ball (Baby Volcanion max is vital). I believe that Scorched Earth with 17 Energies is way better than Rough seas, since I only can heal V EX. Same with the dive balls. Blaziken works surprisingly VEEEEERY well as midgame card. I won't take it out^^

Should I

- 1 Flareon EX
- 2 Revive
- 1 Fan Club
- 1 Elixir

+ 1 Baby Volcanion
+ 1 Judge (not 2, bc too many supporters)
+ 1 Olympia
+ 1 Switch
+ 1 Ultra Ball
These changes were suggested above; so, you are moving in the right direction, IMO. 4 Volcanion are ideal since that is the preferred starter. Interestingly enough, a 4th Volcanion EX also helps in the application of multiple Steam Up Abilities, especially should any be prized.

17 Fire are very excessive, to the point where they may actually "hurt" your ability to draw into needed, non-energy cards. Secondly, Scorched Earth will be a temptation to draw at times that may cause you to deplete your deck faster. One of my strategies in beating this deck is to Lysandre different Volcanion EX and encourage you to deplete your resources faster than normal (assuming I just don't KO the Volcanion EX).

Definitely consider adding a Pokémon Ranger in order to attack multiple times with the same Volcanion EX.

Last edited:
Luckily a local shop had 1 Hoopa EX Tin left. Instant bought it and got an Entei too
This is what my deck looks like:

3 Flareon EX
3 Volcanion EX
3 Volcanion
1 Hoopa EX
1 Entei

4 Sycamore
2 N
2 Shauna
2 Ninja Boy
1 Pokemon Fan Club
1 Delinquent
1 Skyla

2 Ultra Balls
2 Max Elixir
3 Energy Retrieval
2 Switches
2 Letters
1 VS Seeker
1 Super Rod
1 Fighting Fury Belt
2 Bursting Balloon
3 Scorched Earth

17 Fire Energy

Luckily a local shop had 1 Hoopa EX Tin left. Instant bought it and got an Entei too
This is what my deck looks like:

3 Flareon EX
3 Volcanion EX
3 Volcanion
1 Hoopa EX
1 Entei

4 Sycamore
2 N
2 Shauna
2 Ninja Boy
1 Pokemon Fan Club
1 Delinquent
1 Skyla

2 Ultra Balls
2 Max Elixir
3 Energy Retrieval
2 Switches
2 Letters
1 VS Seeker
1 Super Rod
1 Fighting Fury Belt
2 Bursting Balloon
3 Scorched Earth

17 Fire Energy

Is the Entei you're adding the one with Burning Roar?

My suggestions include:

-Only include Hoopa EX if you are running Shaymin and Sky Field. Hoopa takes up a bench spot that could easily be used for another Volcanion-EX or an attacker being powered up. I personally don't run Hoopa in my list, but take my advice on that one.
-Don't run Rough Seas to heal Volcanion, as that helps out your hardest matchups: Waterbox, Greninja BREAK, and Vileplume & Friends. (-3 Rough Seas, leaves space for Sky Field)
-Get rid of your Bursting Balloons and add two more Fighting Fury Belt. It's the superior tool card, and it can last for more than a turn. It also offers an extra 10 damage which can be beneficial in certain situations. (-2 Balloon, +2 FFB)
-VS Seeker is a NEED when building a competitive deck. Like, a NEEEED. Decks cannot be used to their full potential without VS Seeker.
-There have been two people already that have suggested cutting your energy count down to twelve and yet you keep it at 17. I'm serious on this; your Volcanion deck won't go anywhere when you have 17 energy.

I hope you take this advice into consideration.

The Entei is the one from Ancient Origins without the AT.

I didn't include Rough seas XD Sadly I only own 1 copy of VS Seeker and FFB.
I was thinking about Including my Blaziken again for Hoopa. What to you think?
I want to replace 1 Sycamore with the new Prof Oak. Is that a good choice?

3 Flareon EX
3 Volcanion EX
3 Volcanion
1 Hoopa EX
1 Entei //11

4 Sycamore
2 N
2 Shauna
1 Ninja Boy
1 Pokemon Fan Club
1 Tierno
1 Brock's Grit